Worst Dreams Ever

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sikyon

Worst Dreams Ever

Postby sikyon » Mon May 17, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

I just had my worst dream ever.

Stallman and Feynman were at a party at my house, and they basically stole my laptop from me while I was playing starcraft. They then proceeded to search my xkcd posts and make fun of them while ridiculing me, as I sat beside them. I feebly tried to defend myself but to no avail.

Worst dream ever - let's hear yours!

General_Norris

Re: Worst Dreams Ever

Postby General_Norris » Mon May 17, 2010 12:50 pm UTC

After a day in an amusement park I dreamt I was riding all the time the same ride, an Enterprise (Link here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_(ride)) When you ride in it you feel the gravitional force going up and down (from your POV) at regular intervals.

Cue to me wasting my time feeling gravity going up and down all the time. I knew it was a dream while I was dreaming and I thought it was boring as hell. I never were self-concious in a dream but guess the boredoom was too much for my subconcious to handle.

JayAr

Postby JayAr » Tue May 18, 2010 2:08 am UTC

One in which I was a world leader getting prepped and ready for a huge speech to my people (in an unknown nation, but they spoke English and Latin). I went through the protection, the talking with others, and half-way through the speech I got shot. I slumped over and I went through my (non-dream) life and what it is about/worth. I died in a guard's arms, the final thing I was told was "Your poor, poor daughter, she will miss you greatly". Yet I have no child, nor love.

What makes this the worst dream was the fact of feeling the emotional pain of death and those who will miss me. The fragility of life was odd as well. This was no nightmare but merely a vivid dream, the good thing is that a design came from the dream.
nyeguy wrote:Bacon isn't a sin. It clogs your arteries and brings you to god faster.

I actually truly failed the Turing Test

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue May 18, 2010 3:39 am UTC

I successfully MILDed, and got a lucid dream. I forgot everything except that it was a lucid dream within 10 minutes of waking. Stupid poor dream recall...

solarion

Postby solarion » Tue May 18, 2010 6:42 am UTC

I had a dream I was walking across the road. When I got there, I walked back across it.

And sometimes I have dreams about typing up posts or messages. They're not even surrealistic; just average.

Osha

Postby Osha » Tue May 18, 2010 7:06 am UTC

I was zooming around this bright colorful universe in the style of Mario Galaxy or Katamari Damacy in terms of art direction. Pretty nifty.
I approach this black hole but get too close and get sucked in
A flash game appears, I know from dream logic that if I win I get to escape, but if I give up I instantly die, crushed by the black-hole. I can try to beat the game as many times as I want. I play it and play it but just can't seem to beat it. Eventually I just give up, the flash game is too annoying, so I hit the quit button.
And die.
And wake up terrified.
The scary part of the dream lasted only an instant (it was so terrifying I woke up instantly I guess), and it consisted basically of nothing at all, but damn was it scary. I had to sleep with the lights on for weeks (also because I had a dream about re-dead a few nights later), and typing this up got my heart racing just a little, even thought it's been years. Also the only time I've actually died in a dream (thus providing a counterexample to that one urban legend!)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue May 18, 2010 7:14 am UTC

One of my worst dreams was where I accidentally shot my girlfriend in the throat with an arrow. I don't even remember the sequence of events that lead up to that.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

T-Form

Postby T-Form » Tue May 18, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

This might be upsetting for some people.
Spoiler:
It started out as a lucid dream. I'd been experimenting with them for a while with moderate success; I'd had four or five lucid dreams over the previous months, with an increasing degree of control each time. Most of this dream had also been fine, and I felt that I could be in complete control, if necessary. I can only recall fragments of most of the events from early in the dream, but eventually I ended up in a back yard, and I climbed up some sort of structure made from wooden beams. I heard the sound of someone whistling a tune, and I suddenly felt that something terrible was going to happen, although nothing tangible was happening to sugggest that - if you've had a panic attack while awake, that's more or less what it felt like. I was looking around to try to figure out where the whistling was coming from, and how to escape - whether I should run or climb higher - when the person reached over a fence and grabbed me by the ankle. I knew (although I'm not entirely sure how) that they intended some sort of sexual abuse. I was still aware that this was a dream, so my immediate reaction was "I can make this go away", to erase everything. It didn't work as I hoped at all - the back yard, the wooden structure, and everything else from the background disappeared just fine, replaced with an empty void, but the abuser's face didn't. I don't really know how to quantify the time that this lasted for, but I'm going to guess that it took a very slow ten seconds or so for me to actually wake myself up. I felt like I was still seeing the face for about half a minute after that (the room was fully dark and thus looked exactly like the void at the end of the dream, which can't have helped), and I was too terrified to move, even to turn the light on, for half an hour or so.

Turtlewing

Postby Turtlewing » Tue May 18, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

I've had a few dreams with plots torn from horror movies. Including but not limited to velociraptors attacking, and killer cyborgs/robots. I've also had a few of the "loss of a loved one", and "uncomfortable revelartions about reality" sort. But the worst dreams I've ever had are the ones where I repeatedly dream that I'm waking up and going to school. After about 5-6 itterations of them in a single morning I'd be runined for the whole day because I'm never quite sure if I'm actually awake and there's that dread that I'll suddenly wake up and have to do the whole mind numming experience over again. Like Groundhog Day, but without the consistancy that lets you know it's the same day again not just another day that may or may not turn out to be a dream later.

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed May 19, 2010 2:49 am UTC

T-Form wrote:This might be upsetting for some people.
Spoiler:
It started out as a lucid dream. I'd been experimenting with them for a while with moderate success; I'd had four or five lucid dreams over the previous months, with an increasing degree of control each time. Most of this dream had also been fine, and I felt that I could be in complete control, if necessary. I can only recall fragments of most of the events from early in the dream, but eventually I ended up in a back yard, and I climbed up some sort of structure made from wooden beams. I heard the sound of someone whistling a tune, and I suddenly felt that something terrible was going to happen, although nothing tangible was happening to sugggest that - if you've had a panic attack while awake, that's more or less what it felt like. I was looking around to try to figure out where the whistling was coming from, and how to escape - whether I should run or climb higher - when the person reached over a fence and grabbed me by the ankle. I knew (although I'm not entirely sure how) that they intended some sort of sexual abuse. I was still aware that this was a dream, so my immediate reaction was "I can make this go away", to erase everything. It didn't work as I hoped at all - the back yard, the wooden structure, and everything else from the background disappeared just fine, replaced with an empty void, but the abuser's face didn't. I don't really know how to quantify the time that this lasted for, but I'm going to guess that it took a very slow ten seconds or so for me to actually wake myself up. I felt like I was still seeing the face for about half a minute after that (the room was fully dark and thus looked exactly like the void at the end of the dream, which can't have helped), and I was too terrified to move, even to turn the light on, for half an hour or so.

yup, aren't hypnopompic hallucinations fun? :D

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed May 19, 2010 2:58 am UTC

I don't have one specific example, but I sometimes become lucid in a dream where I have unquestioningly accepted a very strange or unnerving environment. Realizing what it really is isn't fun.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed May 19, 2010 3:35 am UTC

man in one of my dreams I was turned into stone, and as that happened I woke up (essentially tthe same thing as waking up when you're just about to die or whatever)

except I had sleep paralysis.
couldn't open my eyes for twenty seconds or so. after dreaming I was turned to stone.

one of my worst life experiences? possibly. i was scared shitless. couldn't calm down for an hour. traumatizing shit for a seven year old.
uhhhh fuck.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed May 19, 2010 4:08 am UTC

nbonaparte wrote:I don't have one specific example, but I sometimes become lucid in a dream where I have unquestioningly accepted a very strange or unnerving environment. Realizing what it really is isn't fun.

What kiiiinda strange or unnerving environament?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Wed May 19, 2010 5:15 am UTC

I think my most horrible dream was this one where my grandpa was undergoing some sort of surgery but for whatever reason was not anesthetized and was clearly in extreme pain. Also his limbs appeared to be rotting away. The whole thing was quite disgusting.

Ever since I started going out with my now ex-girlfriend she has made regular appearances in my dreams. It was nice for a while but since a bit before the end of our relationship I've been having recurring dreams of her ignoring me. The setting is always completely different, but every time I am chasing her or trying to talk to her and she justs ignores me or walk away. It annoys me greatly because it's been months now and I'm pretty much over her but these dreams keep bringing back bad feelings.

Chris Dude70

Postby Chris Dude70 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:04 am UTC

Worst dream ive ever had...

Dreamt I was at a party and I walked in on my "crush" and her boyfriend in one of the bedrooms. :cry:

Also a good dream, because it ended with me beating the snot out of the guy. :D

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Wed May 19, 2010 11:20 am UTC

Spoilered for potential triggers:
Spoiler:
I'm at home, and I see my sister. She's running away from me, and there's a bizarre unnatural black fog everywhere which only allows me to see 15m ahead of me. I get hit with the thought that if I lose sight of her, even for a second, then she'll be free to kill herself. After a protracted chase I invariably lose her and see her body. Problem being, last year she attempted suicide, at 14. The dream happens once a month. Scares the bejeezus out of me.
Sapere aude.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed May 19, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

I was laying on my couch, and had a pretty girl laying on top of me, wearing just panties. It wasn't sexual, just taking a nap with a cute girl laying on top of me. I did sneak a peak at her butt though. I liked the weight of her on my chest. It was so depressing waking up, and realizing I was alone, and have always been alone.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu May 20, 2010 9:48 am UTC

emceng wrote:I was laying on my couch, and had a pretty girl laying on top of me, wearing just panties. It wasn't sexual, just taking a nap with a cute girl laying on top of me. I did sneak a peak at her butt though. I liked the weight of her on my chest. It was so depressing waking up, and realizing I was alone, and have always been alone.

Yeah I think most guys have had similar dreams and similar moments of despair when they realise it's not real.

clumsy_culhane

Postby clumsy_culhane » Thu May 20, 2010 10:16 am UTC

I've had some genuinely frightening lucid dreams. A few I can recall:

One was when I was 15 or so, and I was having an awesome time, I was listening to the music coming from my mp3 player in my dream, it was awesome. I was flying around, then as I was perfecting the art of taking off the ground, I found I couldn't fly. I got really distressed because I knew I was in control of the dream. Then a fog started to envelop me, and I struggled to breathe, and I really started to panic, it felt like I was being slowly drowned. I woke up after what felt around two minutes of this asphyxiation, gasping for breath, with the song still playing through my headphones. Really freaky. It was probably a weird flashback to when I nearly drowned and blacked out under a canoe once, and almost died, when I was younger (like 12 or so).

The other notable one I can think of is when I was in another lucid dream, and I was running around killing lots of people, I was in some desert landscape with these massive pillars of sand and rock, with me and the enemies riding on a horse. Then one of the guys threw a spear at me, hitting me in the lower back, and it realllly hurt. I was like what? This is a dream! Pain doesn't exist! And I woke up soon after, still feeling a dull pain where the 'spear' hit. Really weird.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu May 20, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

You likely slept funny and made your back hurt, which then caused you to dream of being hit with a spear.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Osha

Postby Osha » Fri May 21, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
emceng wrote:I was laying on my couch, and had a pretty girl laying on top of me, wearing just panties. It wasn't sexual, just taking a nap with a cute girl laying on top of me. I did sneak a peak at her butt though. I liked the weight of her on my chest. It was so depressing waking up, and realizing I was alone, and have always been alone.

Yeah I think most guys have had similar dreams and similar moments of despair when they realise it's not real.

I had a dream sorta like that about a guy I had a crush on. Though there was no despair afterwards, just warm fuzzies, and I'm also not a guy.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri May 21, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:man in one of my dreams I was turned into stone, and as that happened I woke up (essentially tthe same thing as waking up when you're just about to die or whatever)

except I had sleep paralysis.
couldn't open my eyes for twenty seconds or so. after dreaming I was turned to stone.

one of my worst life experiences? possibly. i was scared shitless. couldn't calm down for an hour. traumatizing shit for a seven year old.

Dude, that is just wierd. I've had sleep paralysis a few times and it is never a pleasent experience.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri May 21, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

Just the recurring one of I need to get to class (college) and turn in homework, an essay, take an exam, whatever, and I've missed class for about half the semester.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri May 21, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Just the recurring one of I need to get to class (college) and turn in homework, an essay, take an exam, whatever, and I've missed class for about half the semester.

It's funny, it's been 2 years since I graduated from university, but I have never had this dream. Yet I keep hearing how common it is.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri May 21, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

I've had it since high-school.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat May 22, 2010 12:36 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:Just the recurring one of I need to get to class (college) and turn in homework, an essay, take an exam, whatever, and I've missed class for about half the semester.

It's funny, it's been 2 years since I graduated from university, but I have never had this dream. Yet I keep hearing how common it is.

I.
Hate.
You.
With the fury of a thousand suns.
Though on the other hand, I guess I'm consoled a little that it's common, though the recurring theme in mine is more that I like turn my back, and suddenly I've missed class for half the semester and I'm in danger of failing the class even if for no other reason than attendance (partially because I DID skip a lot of classes I had as filler my last year, but yeah).
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 22, 2010 12:54 pm UTC

There are variations of it too. I get the "Wait... ? All the courses I've taken had obligatory hand-in problems?!" dream a lot.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

LongLiveTheDutch

Postby LongLiveTheDutch » Sat May 22, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

My worst sleeping moments are when I half wake up, look at my clock, and only register the last two digits, see that I'm late for work, and rush out of bed or snap awake. Then I actually look at the clock and see, oh, it's actually 3:50 am, not 5:50 am. This has happened multiple times for me and it ruins whatever sleep I had before that, every time.

Not really a dream experience, but whatever.

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Sat May 22, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

My worst dreams seem to involve me getting stabbed, or losing limbs in various nasty ways. The freakiest one was when I was running away from a house where some funny things had gone on, but then I seemed to get pulled in by gravity towards some kind of highway robber. They grabbed me by the neck and plunged a machete in my face. The worst part of it was that although I knew in the dream that the knife had gone right through my head, time seemed to stop for a moment because it was simply too horrific to process, and I felt a tingling in my eyeball where the knife had stopped even after I woke up. Gave me the chills.
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat May 22, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

My worst dreams involve me in a car with my mom or dad driving, and natural disasters are happening around us but the driver doesn't notice. (Tornadoes or buildings crumbling.)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat May 22, 2010 9:28 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:My worst dreams involve me in a car with my mom or dad driving, and natural disasters are happening around us but the driver doesn't notice. (Tornadoes or buildings crumbling.)

I've kind of had similar. Where I'm desperately trying to warn a loved one about some impending danger, but they can't hear or understand me. Then they get killed as I watch helplessly. Sometimes it's a tsunami, sometimes it's a blast wave of some kind, one time it was an air liner which had crashed on top of a hill, and the fuselage was rolling down the hill towards a caravan which contained my parents.

In other family-related bad dreams, I once had one where I had a dozen almost-identical fathers. And I had to choose which was my real father, and which ones were the imposters. Although they looked subtly different, they all looked like my father. I later realised that they were my father at different ages. There was the really tall one with the big bushy beard and a full head of hair, there was the much older version with beard shaved away and a bigger bald patch, and the rest were ages in between. The youngest one was so tall because that's how I remembered him from when I was small.

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Sat May 22, 2010 10:54 pm UTC

hintss wrote:I successfully MILDed, and got a lucid dream. I forgot everything except that it was a lucid dream within 10 minutes of waking. Stupid poor dream recall...

Forgetting dreams... I feel your pain. Have an internet.

As for my dreams, they are mostly nonsense, impossible to describe in a way that makes sense. I'd like for them to be something more, but that's just the way they are. I have sometimes had dreams where I've died, and then woken up and thought "cool!"

I'd say my best dream that I can remember (i.e. the one that made the most 'sense' as a storyline) was one where the Large Hadron Collider created a black hole that flew off into space and destroyed Jupiter. But it also destoryed one of the days of the week - Thursday. Although I was sad to see Jupiter go, I was glad that there would be a greater weekend to weekday ratio. But the best part was that several hours after I had the dream, I realised that Thursday was the day of the week associated with Jupiter. :o The word Thursday comes from Thor, which is another name for the god Jupiter.

Anyway that was my best dream. As for my worst... well I'm going to go to bed now and see.

Edit: Okay, I remember one thing from my dream last night. I was late for my art exam THREE times. I remember I was sitting around talking to people whe I realised it had started several hours ago. Then I realised I was dreaming and entered a state of half-awakeness, before going back to sleep again. After the I believe it happened again, and then a third time. But I'm pretty sure none of those times were real. :|

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon May 24, 2010 1:52 am UTC

I had so much homework, that last night, I spent the whole dream doing homework.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Mon May 24, 2010 11:05 am UTC

My worst dreams are usually set in the house we lived in when I was in highschool. One of my younger brothers tries to kill me, with whatever is to hand. I hate those dreams so much. I expect it's caused by my guilt at being a bully to them when I was a kid.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Mon May 24, 2010 1:06 pm UTC

My worst dreams are me waking up an hour late. Then, when I really wake up, I am incapable of comprehending hour indicators on clocks for a good ten minutes. It's torture.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Mon May 24, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

I find whenever I get sick and do that "sleep the whole day in 3 hour nap segments" I have the same dream throughout each nap, and it's always doing something menial. Last time it was stacking a bunch of blocks on top of each other and whenever I got enough I would go to the "next level (video game style)" and do it again. This went on for at least 50 levels.

I also have the "crap, I forgot I signed up for this class half a semester ago" dreams.

Six Fingers

Postby Six Fingers » Thu May 27, 2010 5:49 am UTC

I get Sleep Paralysis pretty bad sometimes and once dreamed I stepped out of my body to grab a baseball bat. I was trying to defend my sleeping body from the Old Hag. I've had dreams of eating glass and vomiting blood, cutting out my own eyes...Standing over a pit of bodies waiting to be shot, stuck with dirty needles, watching people OD. I've been shot and stabbed too many times to count. Uggh. The weird part though is that I've lead a rather trauma-free life and I have no idea where it all comes from.

It wasn't horrorific, but maybe the worst was this: I dreamed I was walking with a friend. I had just started to realize that it was a dream, and I turned to my friend, and said, "Hey, I think this is a dream". He said to me, "Yeah? which one of us do you think is dreaming it?" And I said, "I think I am", and he said "Yeah, I think you're right". I told him I didn't want to wake up because he wouldn't exist anymore. He laughed, and said it would be alright, but I was so sad when I woke up. There was an XKCD stip about that awhile ago, but true story.

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

One of my dreams involved doing physics problems for which there was no way to derive the solution.
For the rest of my more-or-less interesting nocturnal hallucinations, you can read my journal hosted on Dreamviews.
By the way, 4 days isn't too much of a necro, is it?
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:42 pm UTC

Six Fingers wrote:It wasn't horrorific, but maybe the worst was this: I dreamed I was walking with a friend. I had just started to realize that it was a dream, and I turned to my friend, and said, "Hey, I think this is a dream". He said to me, "Yeah? which one of us do you think is dreaming it?" And I said, "I think I am", and he said "Yeah, I think you're right". I told him I didn't want to wake up because he wouldn't exist anymore. He laughed, and said it would be alright, but I was so sad when I woke up. There was an XKCD stip about that awhile ago, but true story.

I absolutely hate when this happens, except that it's usually not when I'm lucid. I'll have a dream where I befriend somebody, and then I'll wake up with a kind of sad feeling. It's weird, because I'm usually a very introverted person.

rigwarl wrote:I find whenever I get sick and do that "sleep the whole day in 3 hour nap segments" I have the same dream throughout each nap, and it's always doing something menial.

This is one of the ways that I'll know I have a fever. I don' do the 3-hour nap segment thing; I'll usually be on the computer and get all my sleep that night. Whenever I have a fever I'll have the SAME DREAM THE ENTIRE NIGHT. It'll be the same thing dragging on and on and on, and guess what else? It's the SAME SONG playing OVER and OVER in my head. Last time that I was sick, the first night I dreamt of a neverending game of Railroad Tycoon II, to the tune of Unholy Trinity by The Who. Over and over. The next night it was the same thing, but with Trilby's Piano, a song from the SAME ALBUM.

My worst dreams ever are nightmares. And the worst part? I'll usually not even remember the thing a few minutes after I wake up, I'll just know that for some reason I'm scared out of my mind.
Spoiler:

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:47 am UTC

My most recent terrible dream had to be, chased in a forest by a killer, then break glass with my hand to get inside someplace. When I woke up my feest were wet like running on grass, and my hand was bloody. I fell back asleep and when I woke up again there were mild scratches on my hands and arms that healed in a day and my feet were wet.
these are words
type, type, type

Return to “General”