Do you find SpeedTest results interesting? (Split from F/R/T)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts (Random like the plague)

Postby Giant Speck » Wed May 19, 2010 9:59 am UTC

I can't believe I've been living without cable internet for this long.

Our cable company recently increased its offered speeds. When I first got to Alaska, you could only purchase unlimited internet with a special package that included television and phone. The speed included in the package at the time was only 2Mbps.

Since at the time I didn't really feel the need for cable television, I ignored the package and went with AT&T WiMAX internet instead. I got 2Mbps, and I didn't have to worry about purchasing other services.

Then, in February, I broke down and purchased cable television because I like having access to news and other programs. However, instead of getting the package, I kept my internet with AT&T.

When I read that the cable company was finally offering higher speeds, I took a look at my expenditures and discovered that I was seriously overpaying for both television and internet because I was buying them from two separate companies.

The default package from the cable company now offers 4Mbps by default, but now also allows you to pay more for higher speeds. I now get 10Mbps with unlimited downloads. It's great!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SlyReaper
inflatable

Do you find SpeedTest results interesting? (Split from F/R/T)

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 19, 2010 10:02 am UTC

Do you actually get those speeds though? I don't know how it works in Alaska, but in the UK, you have to be living within spitting distance of the phone line exchange to get the full speed you're paying for.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed May 19, 2010 10:09 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Do you actually get those speeds though? I don't know how it works in Alaska, but in the UK, you have to be living within spitting distance of the phone line exchange to get the full speed you're paying for.

I actually have, and I'm surprised that I have been. I'd be happy with even half that, since it'd still be more than I had been getting before, but after testing it out at different times throughout the day, the speeds have been consistent.

"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed May 19, 2010 10:21 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Do you actually get those speeds though? I don't know how it works in Alaska, but in the UK, you have to be living within spitting distance of the phone line exchange to get the full speed you're paying for.

I actually have, and I'm surprised that I have been. I'd be happy with even half that, since it'd still be more than I had been getting before, but after testing it out at different times throughout the day, the speeds have been consistent.

Teehee. I can't resist but posting this:

I'm paying $20 a month for this (I get 10 public IPs too), and I have no download or upload caps.

It's difficult to find a speedtest server that seems to be able to handle my upload speed. It should be able to do the same as download (and I've seen this happen). Speedtest.net's servers can't handle it, apparently.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed May 19, 2010 10:28 am UTC

This just makes my very poor internet seem even more depressing....

I get internet included in my rent, but as it's completely unusable for watching tv online (unless you want to sit and wait a half hour before watching a half hour show to allow for buffering) I ended up getting a mobile broadband dongle for £15/month because it gets considerably better speeds...which still are a fraction of what you guys are posting. (It's in my housemate's room at the moment, or I'd post a speedtest from that as well.)
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed May 19, 2010 10:32 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

I'm paying $20 a month for this (I get 10 public IPs too), and I have no download or upload caps.

It's difficult to find a speedtest server that seems to be able to handle my upload speed. It should be able to do the same as download (and I've seen this happen). Speedtest.net's servers can't handle it, apparently.

You are not the first person today to have attempted to make me feel bad about my internet speeds. :P

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 19, 2010 11:16 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:You are not the first person today to have attempted to make me feel bad about my internet speeds. :P

:lol:

"Your bandwidth is bad and you should feel bad"?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed May 19, 2010 11:46 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:You are not the first person today to have attempted to make me feel bad about my internet speeds. :P

:lol:

"Your bandwidth is bad and you should feel bad"?

God has gone 21st century and streams his divine glory over the Internet, and the bigger pipe you have, the closer you are to God. In a related memo, all prayers are to be sent to UDP broadcast port 7777.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Mot

Postby Mot » Wed May 19, 2010 11:56 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

I hate you. So much.
Robo captain, do you not realize that by destroying the human race because of their destructive tendencies, we too have become like, well...it's ironic. (mmm) Cause we...
Silence! Destroy him!
DOO! (boo!) Dooboodoo!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

Mot wrote:I hate you. So much.

I don't know, you're way ahead in the Four Yorkshiremen category of the Internet speed pissing contest.

Mot

Postby Mot » Wed May 19, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Mot wrote:I hate you. So much.

I don't know, you're way ahead in the Four Yorkshiremen category of the Internet speed pissing contest.

"Four Yorkshiremen", you say...

= googles it =

Haha thats brilliant! I can't believe I've never seen it before.
Robo captain, do you not realize that by destroying the human race because of their destructive tendencies, we too have become like, well...it's ironic. (mmm) Cause we...
Silence! Destroy him!
DOO! (boo!) Dooboodoo!

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Wed May 19, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

Mot wrote:"Four Yorkshiremen", you say...

= googles it =

= waits half and hour for the page to load =

Haha thats brilliant! I can't believe I've never seen it before.

Fixed for you (presumably). Thats some mighty slow internets.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed May 19, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Kulantan wrote:
Mot wrote:"Four*buffering* Yorkshiremen", you*buffering* say...

= googles*buffering* it*buffering* =*buffering*
*buffering*
= *buffering*waits*buffering* half*buffering* and hour*buffering* for the*buffering* page to load*buffering* =

Haha *buffering* thats brilliant!*buffering* I can't*buffering* believe I've*buffering* never seen*buffering* it before.

*buffering* Fixed *buffering* for you*buffering* (presumably *buffering*).*buffering* Thats some*buffering* mighty slow*buffering* internets.

Indeed.

Mot

Postby Mot » Wed May 19, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Kulantan wrote:

*buffering*
= *buffering*waits*buffering* half*buffering* and hour*buffering* for the*buffering* page to load*buffering* =

Haha *buffering* thats brilliant!*buffering* I can't*buffering* believe I've*buffering* never seen*buffering* it before.

*buffering* Fixed *buffering* for you*buffering* (presumably *buffering*).*buffering* Thats some*buffering* mighty slow*buffering* internets.

Indeed.

Stop laughing at meeee!! :-(
But yeah I let download manager figure it out while I made lunch. Only took a couple of minutes.

It's the cheapest uncapped interwebs available here, thats why it's so slow.
Silence! Destroy him!
DOO! (boo!) Dooboodoo!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 19, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Kulantan wrote:

*buffering*

Indeed.

LUXURY! When I were a lad, we used to dream of buffering. Instead, if our Internet video played faster than it downloaded, the computer would flash a picture of goatse and then blow up with the force of 15 tons of TNT.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed May 19, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

/me evenutally catches up with the bandwagon that passed a while ago:

Here's some (apparently better than average) Mobile broadband results. These are taken at 41% UMTS signal strength - speed appears to decrease roughly proportionally (although I've not tested this) with signal strength. And, of course, the type of connection available.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 19, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

Here's me cheating.*
819689351.png
819689351.png (19.62 KiB) Viewed 5318 times

Booya.

*I, uh.. work for a company that, among other things, is an ISP.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed May 19, 2010 4:29 pm UTC

That's from my work.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed May 19, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Here's me cheating.*
819689351.png

Booya.

*I, uh.. work for a company that, among other things, is an ISP.

The hell? So do I, and this is my work result:

Admittedly, we don't host a speednet server, and I do get about 65mbps/45mbps to our own test server, but really . . .
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed May 19, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Here's me cheating.*
819689351.png
We need someone from a Korean ISP provider or similar to 1-up you... I think that's one of the places they have the "faster than fast" internet.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed May 19, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure there aren't any speed test sites that can serve my 20Gig pipe. :P
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 19, 2010 4:47 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Admittedly, we don't host a speednet server, and I do get about 65mbps/45mbps to our own test server, but really . . .
The Speednet server in Lexington? We have a direct link from there to here. I know our internal network is being throttled, so short of turning that off, the only way I could get any faster is to just drive down there.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Link

Re: Do you find SpeedTest results interesting? (Split from F

Postby Link » Wed May 19, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

(Advertised as 12/2 Mbps, so pretty close.)

Not even that bad, but it's quite expensive (€27.95/mo). The same ISP does offer much better rates, going up to 80/6 Mbps at €74.95/mo, but that's way too steep for me. Other providers in my region aren't much better, either.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed May 19, 2010 5:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Admittedly, we don't host a speednet server, and I do get about 65mbps/45mbps to our own test server, but really . . .
The Speednet server in Lexington? We have a direct link from there to here. I know our internal network is being throttled, so short of turning that off, the only way I could get any faster is to just drive down there.

Yes, but imagine what that would do to your ping.

Incidently, I can't figure out why I'm not getting closer to 100/100 to our server. More investigation is required.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Indon

Postby Indon » Wed May 19, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

At work, I'm getting 8.8/2.3. I'll post my home speeds (along with the actual ISP) when I can.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Wed May 19, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

I think we're paying for about 8Mb/s... and according to BT, the most the line coming to my house can handle is 4Mb/s. I reaaaaally need to change ISP, this crap is expensive.
This 1.91 is the fastest I think I've seen it go...
But hey, moving to St Andrews at the end of this year, apparently the uni halls have 90/0.35. So, yay.

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

Eh, not bad, but I'd like it a hell of a lot faster...

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed May 19, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

Omai. I has a thread.

wst

Postby wst » Wed May 19, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

The upload is why I suck at torrents. And the download is fine for my uses, the usual bandwidth heavy stuff usually clogs up in Linux Flash more than in the tubes...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed May 19, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

wst wrote:Image

The upload is why I suck at torrents. And the download is fine for my uses, the usual bandwidth heavy stuff usually clogs up in Linux Flash more than in the tubes...

ISPs that limit upload speed suck (let alone putting in place transfer caps). But then, that's what you get when your ISP sells more capacity than it can produce.

Velict

Postby Velict » Wed May 19, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

I lose a fair amount of speed when I go wireless, though.

Indon

Postby Indon » Wed May 19, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

About the best I suppose I can expect here in Alabama.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed May 19, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

Slightly offtopic but still related, and it amused me:

Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed May 19, 2010 10:51 pm UTC

Image~$16/month
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed May 19, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

At 100mb/s, my computer would be full of anime and movies right about now.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu May 20, 2010 3:36 am UTC

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu May 20, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Rawr?

Incidentally, people must really not like their ISPs overall, because there are few over 3.5 or so.

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu May 20, 2010 4:38 am UTC

actually, my test was at night - when they're slower.
my fastest on this connection was about 10 down and 3 up.

portentum

Postby portentum » Thu May 20, 2010 4:45 am UTC

We have the cheapest package, it shows. :|

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Thu May 20, 2010 5:19 am UTC

Xeio wrote:Incidentally, people must really not like their ISPs overall, because there are few over 3.5 or so.

One thing I learned while I was doing time in hell tech support is that almost everyone hates their ISP. I met a lot of people who had switched ISPs several times only to learn that they all suck about equally.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “General”