Fifa World Cup 2010

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Dobblesworth » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

Whether you call it football, soccer or something completely separate, discuss the ongoing sporting tournament here.

I am very much looking forward to England-USA tonight. Though I fear Rooney & Co. could get a surprise shock defeat; maybe we've had too good a run in the qualifiers and warm-up games that steamrolling the group stage is Sod's Law-unlikely.

Mitch Benn produced a rather excellent alternative World Cup song - far more alternative than sleepygamer's - http://www.mitchbenn.com/media/33/Win_One_Lose_One.mp3

May the best team win I guess, and may Germany win the penalty shootout.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Dasboard » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm hoping for something more exciting than the previous matches. Either way an interesting match from a historical perspective. :D

My country ( The Netherlands ) will play their first match monday, we haven't lost a single qualifying match so I'm looking forward to it.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:14 pm UTC

I wonder when the bees will finally launch their attack on the tournament...
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

I always look forward to the World Cup, hoping for a good one. The opening game yesterday was decent, and Argentina v Nigeria today was very good. My tip to win is Brazil, though I like the look of Holland too. And come on North Korea!
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

I'd love to see North-Korea getting far too. I mean, their team's nickname is Chollima ( Winged Horse ), which is pretty damn awesome.

and Argentina v Nigeria today was very good.

I only really enjoyed the first half, the second half was pretty dull to me. Also Nigeria didn't really get a chanche, they had one shot on the goal, I believe. And Argentinia had lots of oppertunities, but missed them all except the first.

gurfunklebunker

Postby gurfunklebunker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

the country I usually go far (Croatia) didn't make it in. ):
So, i am hoping for Germany to win it.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

Nice one there Robert Green, England really have problems with goalkeepers at the moment.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

Joe Hart is a beast, he should be number one. In a few years we'll have that position sewn up for a decade or so. I feel so sorry for Green though, he must feel awful.

Heskey was surprisingly excellent, and I thought Rooney didn't make as much of an impact as he might have. Gerrard was a really good captain, although I thought Lampard was not at his best either. The US keeper played a good game as well.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

Green screwed up that 'save', but there's no justice in the FIFA feed controllers playing the 'goal' on loop 20 times thereafter in slow motion and from different angles. Reminded me of the misery we had with this rookie a few years ago. And then of course Calamity James and Robinson. Not sure why Capello didn't go with Robinson for his magic twenty-three in the first place.

The second half for the most part we played scrappy static football in the midfield and there were limited points where we pushed the Yanks' box. The overload of yellow cards for a first group game is alarming. That needs tightening up.

And lol @ "we shall stand together in a line, facing at an angle in the vague direction of our flag, one hand clasping the shoulder of the neighbour, one hand on our heart as we belt out the national anthem". I was in hysterics.

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:48 pm UTC

First time I have watched a World Cup game. Yay! USA is still in it. I've got to go figure out how the bracket system works.
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

sir2you wrote:First time I have watched a World Cup game. Yay! USA is still in it. I've got to go figure out how the bracket system works.

Basically, there are eight groups of four, so everyone gets three games. Then 16 go home and the other 16 play a straight knockout. Yeah, I said basically! :D

TOP TIP: make sure you know how the groups work before the last game, so you can concentrate on all the permutations
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:54 pm UTC

The Guardian was absolutely vicious in their post-game commentary:

England must have felt it was not going to be their day, the more so when Wright-Phillips then Rooney hit shots straight at Howard. Shooting at the goalkeeper is a policy that only ever seems to pay off for England's opponents.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:31 am UTC

It's a shame that everyone wants Green's head. Yeah he messed up hard, but it's not like his mistake made England unable to score more goals. What were they gonna do, score one and then have 10 defenders hoping USA would not score? And no one's remembering the save Green had against Altidore.

Anyways go Oranje!

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:57 am UTC

The English papers do love a good scapegoat, be it one of their own players (Beckham in 1998), one of the opposition (Maradona, Ronaldo in 2006), the manager (Eriksson in 2002) or the referee (Urs Meier in 2004). Still, they should still make it out of the group so there's little point in hitting the panic button.

Group D in action today, some very good teams there.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:49 am UTC

charliepanayi wrote:The English papers do love a good scapegoat, be it one of their own players (Beckham in 1998), one of the opposition (Maradona, Ronaldo in 2006), the manager (Eriksson in 2002) or the referee (Urs Meier in 2004). Still, they should still make it out of the group so there's little point in hitting the panic button.

Group D in action today, some very good teams there.

They always seem to forget about option B: they're just not. that. good. Yesterday's match showed that they lack a creative midfielder. They've got skill and physically good players, but only Rooney has some sense in creating chances. But playing him the way they did is definately not going to work. Any organized defense will eat them alive.

Mind you, USA have adjustments to make too. They need to find a way to get Donovan on the ball more (ie, stop playing him as a winger) and they need to get Clark off the pitch. If Onyewu and Howard keep the defence together they might surprise more teams though.

Is it monday yet? I can't wait till Oranje kick off :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Roĝer

Postby Roĝer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

dwayne780 wrote:To successfully cope with an event of this magnitude, the hosting country requires a sophisticated infrastructure of accommodation, transportation, communication, stadiums, technology, security, and countless other facilities and support systems.

True, but what does it add to this discussion?

Yeah, that was spam. -Hodge.

Anyway, I just saw Germany play, and I think they are the first real candidate for the title. Their 4-0 victory was well-deserved and nice to watch.
Ik ben niet koppig, ik heb gewoon gelijk.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Impressive start from Germany, though some people are going a bit overboard, you can't win the World Cup in your first game (and tournaments are littered with teams who got the plaudits early on and wound up going out - see Argentina in 2006 and Holland in 2008). Serbia and Ghana will be a tougher test for them but Ozil certainly looks good. I was pleased to see Ghana win today as well.

Holland and Italy making their first appearance tomorrow. The tournament needs more goals, let's hope these games can provide them.

Carolina

Postby Carolina » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:03 pm UTC

GO GO GERMANY LMAO! that was one of the best games that I have ever seen since the begining of the 2010 worldcup.. I can't wait to see more!
“Because we don't think about future generations, they will never forget us" By Henrik Tikkanen. ;)

Jailbreak Unlock iPhone

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:tournaments are littered with teams who got the plaudits early on and wound up going out - see Argentina in 2006 and Holland in 2008).

Bit unfair about Netherlands, since they played exceptionally well in the group stage and forced the Russia game to overtime. Don't remember much about Argentina's WC2006 run other than the trashing they gave Serbia and their eventual defeat on penalties against the Germans. I think the Dutch in 2008 had a really tight game going on and I hope I see some of that tomorrow. Germany raised the bar obviously, but it's after the group stages when the real fun begins.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:53 am UTC

Thanks to the act of God me and my friends have a new verb, to Green: to fail in anyway.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:42 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:Thanks to the act of God me and my friends have a new verb, to Green: to fail in anyway.

Heh. So cute. People actually thought an english goalie *wasn't* going to fail horribly this time? :mrgreen: <- that smiley apparantly is called Mr Green. What the?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:36 am UTC

I barrack for Korea Republic because they were the first team to get me interested in football, when there was nothing else on telly during the 2002 World cup. And I barrack for Australia because I'm Australian. So far, my d00ds won and then my other d00ds lost. But the other d00ds also played like self-entitled thugs, so I might drop 'em and stick with my original d00ds. Ahn Jung Hwan and Cha Du Ri ftw!

Also, the Matildas won the Asian cup, and it pisses me off that the Socceroos get more coverage for just turning up. I mean, it's not the socceroos' fault, but irritating regardless.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:48 am UTC

I'm pleased to say most of my fears regarding hosting the WC have not been realised and I'm cautiously hopeful. I was even surprised to find myself emotionally invested in the Bafana-Mexico game, I was shouting with the rest of the crowd when we scored.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:I barrack for Korea Republic because they were the first team to get me interested in football, when there was nothing else on telly during the 2002 World cup. And I barrack for Australia because I'm Australian. So far, my d00ds won and then my other d00ds lost. But the other d00ds also played like self-entitled thugs, so I might drop 'em and stick with my original d00ds. Ahn Jung Hwan and Cha Du Ri ftw!

I go for Korea and Japan because they did such a good job of hosting the first world cup I watched eight years ago, and because they're the underdogs. In that vein, I also go for all African nations. Yesterday, I was washing the dishes when a couple of Ghanaian blokes went running down my street screaming 'Ghaaanaaaaaa' and holding their Ghanaian tshirts high. Did you all know that there are eight hundred thousand Ghanians living in London? That is quite a few! Also, Ghanaian food is delicious. Australia played horribly yesterday, but that red card was unwarranted. Oh well. I fear that Australia (where I'm from) will never come closer to the cup than they did the last time, when they got screwed by the Italians and the referee.

Rysto wrote:
England must have felt it was not going to be their day, the more so when Wright-Phillips then Rooney hit shots straight at Howard. Shooting at the goalkeeper is a policy that only ever seems to pay off for England's opponents.

Wow. That is pretty, pretty, pretty harsh.

I have two amazing additions to this thread. The first is a very cool calendar thing with all the fixtures - try hovering over lots of different parts of the page, it's well worth it. The second has had me chuckling all morning:
Spoiler:
vuvezla.png
Your Vuvuzela And You: A Step-By-Step Instruction Guide.

Along with this image, my co-workers have had the following email exchange:

Sent: 14 June 2010 12:42
To: Neil Crosbourne; Jason Bradford; Will Brayden; Dev
Subject: RE: Your Vuvuzela And You: A Step-By-Step Instruction Guide.‏
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz marp marp

Sent: 14 June 2010 12:42
To: Neil Crosbourne; Jason Bradford; Will Brayden; Dev

"ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Sent: 14 June 2010 12:38
To: Jason Bradford; Will Brayden; Dev
How do you pronounce Vuvuzela?

Sent: 14 June 2010 12:20 PM
To: Will Brayden; Dev

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 737455.stm

He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

Well, after this afternoon's match of The Netherlands against Denmark, Green is no longer the sucker of the tournament. That Danish own goal was painful to watch (Mind you, I'm Dutch, so I was cheering my lungs out. But still, damn, so unlucky).

A deserved 2-0 victory against what is probably thoughest team in the poule. Things are looking good for us so far. But I thought our play was sloppy, with lots of bad passes or unneccesary bal loss, so I fear for our chances the knockout phase.

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:tournaments are littered with teams who got the plaudits early on and wound up going out - see Argentina in 2006 and Holland in 2008).

Bit unfair about Netherlands, since they played exceptionally well in the group stage and forced the Russia game to overtime.

I think that was kind of the point. In 2008 The Netherlands completely overclassed the #1 and #2 of the world (France and Italy) in the poule phase, with 4-1 and 3-0 respectively, winning the hardest poule with a monster score. And then the very first knockout round we played a dramatically bad match against a team that was a best mediocre (Russia) and get kicked out. Great results early on don't mean anything if you can't hold onto that form.

(Though playing great, even brilliant, football, and then getting kicked out for stupid reasons is a Dutch speciality.)
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Archanfel

Postby Archanfel » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

It is unfair for Tim Cahil. He tried putting his studs away from contact.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

The german he clattered even said after it was barely even a yellow. First really shocking refereeing decision.

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

I completely missed the Dutch team playing today, as I was abroad at the time (read: Belgium >_> ).
And to be honest I'm kinda glad too.
I really. don't. like. football.

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:42 pm UTC

It wasn't very spectacular so you haven't missed much.

I also watched Japan vs Cameroon, Cameroon being the favourite as Japan generally isn't that great at soccer. Also, Cameroon had the big star Eto'o, who was supposed to be the, you guessed it, big star.

Suprisingly, they both played crappy, but Japan played less crappy, and managed to make a nice goal in the first half. ( Honda. ) After that, they just kept defending, and even though Cameroon tried a bit, they didn't manage to score.

This means, that our beloved sushi friends won their first ever world cup math outside their country. They're also at the top of the pool together with Holland. ( Both 3 points, Cameroon and Denmark with 0 )

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

Goddamn, Netherlands, I want to see that Euro '08 magic!

Also yay for Paraguay. They only drew, but still I bet it's an upset for the Italians.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:Goddamn, Netherlands, I want to see that Euro '08 magic!

Also yay for Paraguay. They only drew, but still I bet it's an upset for the Italians.

Saving it up for later rounds.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Mr Jack

Postby Mr Jack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:02 am UTC

New Zealand playing tonight! Very excited.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:21 am UTC

Hope NZ do better than Australia did.....
Stupid Pim
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Dasboard wrote:I also watched Japan vs Cameroon, Cameroon being the favourite as Japan generally isn't that great at soccer. Also, Cameroon had the big star Eto'o, who was supposed to be the, you guessed it, big star.

Suprisingly, they both played crappy, but Japan played less crappy, and managed to make a nice goal in the first half. ( Honda. ) After that, they just kept defending, and even though Cameroon tried a bit, they didn't manage to score.

This means, that our beloved sushi friends won their first ever world cup math outside their country. They're also at the top of the pool together with Holland. ( Both 3 points, Cameroon and Denmark with 0 )

Eto'o was heavily marked from the start of the game, he really didn't have many opportunities to do anything. I thought Japan played reasonably well.

More on the vuvezelas.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:55 am UTC

I thought Eto'o was wasted being played out on the right. Japan did do well though.

Ivory Coast v Portugal later today, hoping that one lives up to the billing.

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:23 am UTC

Either way, I'm happy for Japan.

I'm hoping New Zealand will win too, but chanches aren't very high for them.

Also, what I'm looking forward the most is Brazile vs North Korea. Both teams kept their teams away from the press. ( The Brazialian coach is actually "At war" with the brazilian press, according to the dutch news. ) But North Korea is probably going to get their asses kicked.

And if all else fails, we still got Ivory coast vs Portugal, which is promising as both are strong soccer countries, so at least that one should be interesting.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:The first is a very cool calendar thing with all the fixtures - try hovering over lots of different parts of the page, it's well worth it.
Ooo, awesome calendar. I just subscribed to some built-in Google Calendar ones (for Korea Rep. and Australia). I'll be using this one also, thanks :)

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

Fuck yeah, New Zealand made 1-1 in the last minute of the match.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

No offense to NZers but I honestly thought NZ would finish bottom of their group with no points and no goals.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:
dubsola wrote:The first is a very cool calendar thing with all the fixtures - try hovering over lots of different parts of the page, it's well worth it.
Ooo, awesome calendar. I just subscribed to some built-in Google Calendar ones (for Korea Rep. and Australia). I'll be using this one also, thanks :)

I've used it quite a bit, and I'm still finding neat little things I didn't notice at first.

Return to “General”