Fifa World Cup 2010

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Sytri
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:00 am UTC
Location: Reading, UK

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Sytri » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

This could go in the rant thread but seeing as its to do with the World Cup:

Gah! FFS and for the love of Jebus! Why cant any of my world cup predictions be right!? I picked the favorites or the team with the better form and all I seem to get are draws for when I picked an outright winner and winners when I picked draws. Bah. A curse on all your team hotels.

Edited for spelling.
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

BigBoss
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:35 am UTC

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby BigBoss » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

Are the North Korean fans really paid actors?
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian

Omerprime
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:02 am UTC

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Omerprime » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

Holy Cheesesteak on a stick!
Brazil\North Korea...
That was some game. The goals were just magical.
Brazils first goal, the guy(I never remember names) is on the same line as the goal, he's almost out, he kicks it with such a beautiful spin and it goes milimeters from the goalies hands and in!
And the second goal, so classic, a small gentle pass, and then the receiving player gives it just a small magical touch that sends the ball right in.
And then at the 88th or 89th minute Korea suddenly remembers they're supposed to be getting goals, so they pass to that maniac who runs between three Brazil players and sends the ball just out of the goalies reach!
God what a game.
ImageImage

User avatar
kernelpanic
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:26 am UTC
Location: 1.6180339x10^18 attoparsecs from Earth

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby kernelpanic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

So far Ghana has been the only team that I've supported (in that game) that has won. But tomorrow I have high hopes for S.Africa, Spain and Chile.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Image

User avatar
cypherspace
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm UTC
Location: Londonia

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby cypherspace » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

Spain are going to destroy Switzerland. You heard it here first.

And the Brazil-North Korea game was excellent. Omerprime, not that I want to take any of your enjoyment from the game, but I presume you don't watch football that much? :)

The first goal was a mis-hit cross and was really, really unlucky for North Korea who played fantastically well, especially Jong Tae-Se who was superb. The second goal was a brilliant pass and finish. NK's goal was good and definitely deserved but I do think the keeper should have done better! I may be biased since he's in my fantasy league team though...
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

User avatar
ian
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:55 pm UTC
Location: Sealand

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby ian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:09 am UTC

I'm not sure if 'you heard it here first' applies to the obvious...

hoping for goals goals goals, would like a performance similar to germany's.

User avatar
dubsola
Posts: 2322
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 am UTC
Location: Sunny Snakeville

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby dubsola » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:56 am UTC

Does anyone else find it quite surreal that North Korea are playing in the World Cup?

User avatar
mickafen
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:09 am UTC

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby mickafen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:36 am UTC

dubsola wrote:Does anyone else find it quite surreal that North Korea are playing in the World Cup?


Indeed. I was half-expecting Kim Jong Il to bring himself on as a striker towards the end...

Maicon is claiming "dude, I totally meant that to happen" (http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2010/06/15/1978532/world-cup-2010-brazil-right-back-maicon-insists-he-meant) and he has apparently done it several times in the past. Hm.

Also: I will be very surprised if we see a better pass than Robinho's (for the 2nd goal) all tournament. Or indeed ever.

User avatar
cypherspace
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm UTC
Location: Londonia

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby cypherspace » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:55 am UTC

ian wrote:I'm not sure if 'you heard it here first' applies to the obvious...
IT DOES NOW
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

User avatar
a_fuzzyduck
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 pm UTC
Location: Clydebank
Contact:

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:38 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:
ian wrote:I'm not sure if 'you heard it here first' applies to the obvious...
IT DOES NOW


that a Kenneth Wolfstenholme reference? :D
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

User avatar
cypherspace
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm UTC
Location: Londonia

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby cypherspace » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:
cypherspace wrote:
ian wrote:I'm not sure if 'you heard it here first' applies to the obvious...
IT DOES NOW
that a Kenneth Wolfstenholme reference? :D
...IT IS NOW

also SPAIN ARE CRAP AND ARE ACTUALLY GOING TO LOSE YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

User avatar
Sytri
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:00 am UTC
Location: Reading, UK

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Sytri » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:49 pm UTC

Wow, Spain lost. The world's gone topsy turvy. Apparently 22 shots on goal and not one goal. Who'd have thought?
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

User avatar
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:05 am UTC
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

Diego Benaglio is my new hero.

User avatar
Sytri
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:00 am UTC
Location: Reading, UK

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Sytri » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

I wanted him to let one past. I had Spain and Switzerland to draw in the sweepstakes at work and when the Swiss scored first and were still ahead at the 60min mark I thought I was well in for a point. Apparently not though. I hope Spain at least get through now, otherwise I'm definately out of money. I have them down as getting through to the finals.

On the other hand though, for entertaining football of the kind like the F.A. cup when David beats down Goliath, this is the best world cup start I've seen in a while. :D
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

User avatar
ian
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:55 pm UTC
Location: Sealand

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby ian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

What a crazy game. Some great defending by the Swiss, could have had a second too.
Spain will probably now start with Villa and Torres upfront and dominate though.

User avatar
the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Posts: 939
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:46 am UTC
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:29 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:Spain are going to destroy Switzerland. You heard it here first.


Hmm, I'm not sure how to phrase this... so let's take a time machine back to the turn of the millennium and let Chandler Bing say it: "Could someone be more wrong?!"

Hehe, that was a shock result but just goes to show you can never tell the outcome with the World Cup.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Omerprime
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:02 am UTC

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Omerprime » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

ian wrote:What a crazy game. Some great defending by the Swiss, could have had a second too.
Spain will probably now start with Villa and Torres upfront and dominate though.


That wasn't great defending that was a disgusting bunker.
ImageImage

Numzane
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:25 pm UTC
Location: South Africa

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Numzane » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:59 pm UTC

I don't know how the SA goal keeper got a red card when he barely touched the other guy's boot. The Uruguayan guy was even offside. :evil:
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

User avatar
Dasboard
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:09 pm UTC
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Dasboard » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

WHAT? D:
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

User avatar
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:05 am UTC
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Omerprime wrote:
ian wrote:What a crazy game. Some great defending by the Swiss, could have had a second too.
Spain will probably now start with Villa and Torres upfront and dominate though.


That wasn't great defending that was a disgusting bunker.


It's not like the Swiss didn't try to score more goals, and as much as I dislike the "let's park the bus in front of the goal" strategy, I don't blame them considering who they were playing against. And even if they did play like that, Spain had more than enough chances that they couldn't transform into goals.

User avatar
charliepanayi
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

I feel sorry for South Africa but I think they were somewhat outclassed in the end. It looks like this will be the first World Cup host nation heading out in the first round :(

Argentina back in action tomorrow, will be good to see how South Korea do against them.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

User avatar
Roĝer
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:36 pm UTC
Location: Many worlds, but mostly Copenhagen.
Contact:

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Roĝer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

Numzane wrote:I don't know how the SA goal keeper got a red card when he barely touched the other guy's boot. The Uruguayan guy was even offside. :evil:

No, Suarez was not offside, but he is very well known in the Netherlands for being eager to dive. Not that it changed the result, Uruguay was better anyway.

With Spain losing the first match there is now a real chance of Brazil-Spain in the 2nd round, with the winner of them probably facing the Netherlands, which could knock out many favourites early in the tournament.
Ik ben niet koppig, ik heb gewoon gelijk.

User avatar
a_fuzzyduck
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 pm UTC
Location: Clydebank
Contact:

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

Roĝer wrote:
Numzane wrote:I don't know how the SA goal keeper got a red card when he barely touched the other guy's boot. The Uruguayan guy was even offside. :evil:

No, Suarez was not offside, but he is very well known in the Netherlands for being eager to dive. Not that it changed the result, Uruguay was better anyway.

With Spain losing the first match there is now a real chance of Brazil-Spain in the 2nd round, with the winner of them probably facing the Netherlands, which could knock out many favourites early in the tournament.


despite that, there was a LOT of contact. spot on decision
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

User avatar
cypherspace
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm UTC
Location: Londonia

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby cypherspace » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:
cypherspace wrote:Spain are going to destroy Switzerland. You heard it here first.


Hmm, I'm not sure how to phrase this... so let's take a time machine back to the turn of the millennium and let Chandler Bing say it: "Could someone be more wrong?!"

Hehe, that was a shock result but just goes to show you can never tell the outcome with the World Cup.

What are you talking about? Can't you see my later post? I told you Spain were crap.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

User avatar
a_fuzzyduck
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 pm UTC
Location: Clydebank
Contact:

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:
the_bandersnatch wrote:
cypherspace wrote:Spain are going to destroy Switzerland. You heard it here first.


Hmm, I'm not sure how to phrase this... so let's take a time machine back to the turn of the millennium and let Chandler Bing say it: "Could someone be more wrong?!"

Hehe, that was a shock result but just goes to show you can never tell the outcome with the World Cup.

What are you talking about? Can't you see my later post? I told you Spain were crap.


It's basically their national footballing stereotype - amazing in qualifying, utter rubbish when it gets to the tournament proper. I was expecting a draw myself...
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6437
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Moo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:05 am UTC

I'll freely admit it wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome and that we were outclassed but I'm alarmed at the two instances red cards have been doled out during this World Cup so far; both seemed like yellow cards at the worst. Hope the trend doesn't continue.

That said, glad to see the refs aren't standing for diving, either.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
cypherspace
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm UTC
Location: Londonia

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby cypherspace » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:32 am UTC

Moo wrote:I'll freely admit it wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome and that we were outclassed but I'm alarmed at the two instances red cards have been doled out during this World Cup so far; both seemed like yellow cards at the worst. Hope the trend doesn't continue.
The red card for Khune was an example of the ref following the rules perfectly and the rules being absolute total shit. It goes that if you deny a clear goalscoring opportunity, you receive an automatic red card. Khune technically fouled his opponent - the opponent went down and lost what was definitely a clear opportunity - red card.

The problem is that if a goalkeeper commits a foul in the area, he is almost always denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. The rule was introduced to prevent defenders from hacking down an opponent who's clean through on goal and only receiving a yellow card. It's succeeded in preventing that injustice, but it makes for ridiculous situations such as this, where Khune was honestly trying his best to prevent a goal. He failed and the opponents got a penalty. That should be enough. However the rules mean that the referee has to give him a red card or risk retribution from his bosses, who could remove him from further games. If it happens again, you will see another red card. If you don't... the referee is not doing his job correctly.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

User avatar
dubsola
Posts: 2322
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 am UTC
Location: Sunny Snakeville

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby dubsola » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:06 am UTC

That's disappointing.

I missed all the games yesterday, does anyone think the France v. Mexico game tonight will be a good one to watch?

Finally: http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/xkcd.com

User avatar
Buddha with a bra on
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:23 pm UTC
Location: Russia. On ice.

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:51 am UTC

I'm expecting France, after last week's woeful performance and Uraguay now setting the pace, to step it up and actually perhaps play sort of like the squad the have suggests they can play. Mexico also need to get points to contend for a place in the last 16. It will be a good match, much more to go for than last week.

I like the vuvuzelas. I feel so lonely.

Torres and Villa up front? Well, Torress would have to do a hell of a lot more than he did yesterday. I dunno whether Bosque told him to hang back deliberately (Um, why?) or whether he's not fully recovered yet which would explain his mediocrity.
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

User avatar
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:05 am UTC
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

Argentina kicking ass.

User avatar
Buddha with a bra on
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:23 pm UTC
Location: Russia. On ice.

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

Yeah, they dominated that game. Reasonably happy, I like S. Korea, but have Argentina in a pub sweepstake. The goal they gave away was horrific, but I'm willing to bet that doesn't happen to them again. If Messi doesn't get a goal soon he'll explode out of sheer frustration.
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

User avatar
[Kreativername]
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby [Kreativername] » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

Omerprime wrote:
ian wrote:What a crazy game. Some great defending by the Swiss, could have had a second too.
Spain will probably now start with Villa and Torres upfront and dominate though.


That wasn't great defending that was a disgusting bunker.


It was pretty good bunker but spain still should have won it.

http://www.zonalmarking.net wrote:Switzerland fielded a more defensive version of their usual 4-4-2 shape, with Gelson Fernandes on the left, and two defensive-minded central midfielders.

It was basically a 4-4-1-1 formation – leaving one man upfront occupying the two centre-backs, and another just behind looking to close down Xabi Alonso and Sergio Busquets. Behind those two, they kept two banks of four but didn’t defend particularly deep, nor keep it tight between the lines. Instead, their game was based around preventing the flair players getting time and space on the ball, by immediately harrying them when they received a ball to feet. [...]

Whilst Switzerland defended well, the most notable feature of the game was quite how bad David Silva and Andres Iniesta were when they got the ball, how anonymous Xavi was, and how frustrating the full-backs were to watch. The Swiss can take some credit for forcing them into poor performances, but even the pressure on the man in possession doesn’t excuse constantly bad passes, poor movement and a lack of drive from Spain’s host of top-class players […]

A good defensive job from Switzerland, but Spain played into their hands in many ways – they were narrow, they didn’t get their full-back forward enough, they didn’t get midfield runners to Villa, and there was simply not enough variety in their approach […]

Apologies to Switzerland fans, but the story here is not merely that the favourites were beaten, it’s that the favourites played absolutely awfully.



quoted from http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/17/spain-0-1-switzerland-tactics/#more-3570

cypherspace wrote:The red card for Khune was an example of the ref following the rules perfectly and the rules being absolute total shit. It goes that if you deny a clear goalscoring opportunity, you receive an automatic red card. Khune technically fouled his opponent - the opponent went down and lost what was definitely a clear opportunity - red card.

The problem is that if a goalkeeper commits a foul in the area, he is almost always denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. The rule was introduced to prevent defenders from hacking down an opponent who's clean through on goal and only receiving a yellow card. It's succeeded in preventing that injustice, but it makes for ridiculous situations such as this, where Khune was honestly trying his best to prevent a goal. He failed and the opponents got a penalty. That should be enough. However the rules mean that the referee has to give him a red card or risk retribution from his bosses, who could remove him from further games. If it happens again, you will see another red card. If you don't... the referee is not doing his job correctly.


It would probably be better if the rules were something like
1) foul denying a clear goal scoring opportunity outside the box=> penalty
2) foul denying a clear goal scoring opportunity inside the box=> thats a penalty anyway
with no red cards involved
@agitpopblog wrote:I'm a cat in a steel chamber with a Geiger counter, a bit of radioactive substance and hydrocyanic acid. I am the 50 percent!

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Diadem » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:28 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:
Moo wrote:I'll freely admit it wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome and that we were outclassed but I'm alarmed at the two instances red cards have been doled out during this World Cup so far; both seemed like yellow cards at the worst. Hope the trend doesn't continue.
The red card for Khune was an example of the ref following the rules perfectly and the rules being absolute total shit. It goes that if you deny a clear goalscoring opportunity, you receive an automatic red card. Khune technically fouled his opponent - the opponent went down and lost what was definitely a clear opportunity - red card.

The problem is that if a goalkeeper commits a foul in the area, he is almost always denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. The rule was introduced to prevent defenders from hacking down an opponent who's clean through on goal and only receiving a yellow card. It's succeeded in preventing that injustice, but it makes for ridiculous situations such as this, where Khune was honestly trying his best to prevent a goal. He failed and the opponents got a penalty. That should be enough. However the rules mean that the referee has to give him a red card or risk retribution from his bosses, who could remove him from further games. If it happens again, you will see another red card. If you don't... the referee is not doing his job correctly.

I disagree here. Suarez had already passed the ball by the time the keeper hit him. No goal scoring opportunity was affected by the foul the keeper made. And anyway, refs are not required to blindly follow the textbook in all conceivable circumstances. The foul was clearly unintentional and he touched him very lightly. Only a swine dog like Suarez would go down at all. Plus Suarez had already passed the ball. A penalty was more than enough.

As a personal aside, football would be greatly improved if fouls on players like Suarez weren't penalized at all, unless maybe if the opposing team started using baseball bats. Seriously, guys like him ruin football. There should be a rule against intentional deception of the arbiter. Seriously, send the worst offenders off for a few months, and you can be sure they'll stop. Even better would be allowing the referee to use video feedback for important decision, but the FIFA doesn't want that.



Oh and.... *points at France and starts laughing uncontrollably*
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:05 am UTC
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:11 am UTC

That guy Suárez seems to be very disliked/hated in Nederlands. A Dutch guy on another forum I post at who's always calmed was saying how he "fucking hates him with a passion". But he's a Feyenoord fan so maybe he feels like that about all Ajax players :P

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Diadem » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:56 am UTC

I'm actually an Ajax fan.

But I still dislike schwalbes, and I dislike players who perform them.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
dubsola
Posts: 2322
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 am UTC
Location: Sunny Snakeville

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby dubsola » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:49 am UTC

More vuvezela amusement...
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
charliepanayi
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:51 am UTC

Diadem wrote:As a personal aside, football would be greatly improved if fouls on players like Suarez weren't penalized at all, unless maybe if the opposing team started using baseball bats. Seriously, guys like him ruin football. There should be a rule against intentional deception of the arbiter. Seriously, send the worst offenders off for a few months, and you can be sure they'll stop.


Of course they won't stop, they'll just try to get away with it more often. Footballers aren't too bright (look at Cacau - booked for pointlessly diving in the last minute of a game where his team were 4-0 up!). Plus your idea is absurdly disproportionate, players who break their opponent's leg (or similar) in a bad tackle at worst get banned for a few games.

And there IS a rule against intentional deception of the officials (players have been booked for diving), it's just people rarely bother to enforce it.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6437
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Moo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

Thanks for the explanation, cypher.

I've onlyl got the BBC Live feed to go by, but I'm sad to see another over-zealous (intuitively speaking, rather than going by the word of the law) red card.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5175
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Felstaff » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

They might be propping up the entire Eurozone's various economies, but they sure as hell can't take penalties.

*waves tiny Serbian flag*
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Rakysh
Posts: 1276
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Re: Fifa World Cup 2010

Postby Rakysh » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

I've got Serbia in the sweepstake I'm in, so that match was greeted with hoots of joy. And I can almost forgive Vidic for being such a cheating bastard in the Carling Cup final.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests