College (American) Football

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Me321

Re: College (American) Football

Postby Me321 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:11 am UTC

And that flushing noise you hear is OU's bowl chances...

unless we win out.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:32 am UTC

More than one upset this weekend.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

Isn't 65 points usually enough to win? :|
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

Hahahahaha! Oh, Zook.

I was watching the UF-Vandy game on the XBox ESPN app. At the end of the second quarter, with Florida leading 41-0, Vandy has the ball, and whoever was running got tackled. The refs called it down. Urban Meyer actually contested it, stating it was fumbled, and the refs agreed, overturning the play. I was like "whoa dick move!" Then during his halftime interview, he makes some statement about not wanting to put anyone down or something. I got so bored watching the game, I almost switched away.

HedgehogWarlord

Postby HedgehogWarlord » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

I was a Texas A&M fan at the OU game on Saturday. I can still barely talk from all of the yelling. :D

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

Oregon looked completely out of it during the first half. Fortunately, Chip Kelly doesn't like letting the foot off the gas.

The EGE wrote:

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

The ACC Atlantic Division still has four possible teams that can make the championship game. Here's all 128 scenarios, including mention of the doomsday scenario where it rolls to the eighth of eight tiebreakers, which is "a name is drawn":

http://d1scourse.typepad.com/blog/2010/ ... place.html

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

Someone had a great deal of spare time to use to create that. I approve.

The EGE wrote:

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

As he mentioned, he was stuck on a plane. I guess there really wasn't anything better to do.

Too bad that doomsday scenario's about as likely as 132 points being scored in a Big Ten game.

(I once listened to a high school football game on the radio that ended 78-74. In regulation. The game ended on (what else?) a failed Hail Mary.)

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:01 pm UTC

Hmmm... I'm not terribly pleased at how Cal comported themselves during that game. They were playing well, but they were clearly faking injuries to slow down Oregon. Not a good way to play the game. Not terribly sportsmanlike.

The EGE wrote:

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:46 am UTC

And then Oregon fans booed an Arizona player who really was injured. Stay classy Oregon fans admittedly, fans a asses just about everywhere

Anyone staying up to watch the Nevada v Boise State game? Wholly cow, what an ending of the regulation time.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:16 pm UTC

This thoroughly burned my cheese.
picnic time!

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:And then Oregon fans booed an Arizona player who really was injured. Stay classy Oregon fans admittedly, fans a asses just about everywhere

Huh. I went to the OSU-Michigan game, and that was as good and clean a game as I've seen, both fans and players. I saw, more than once, a Buckeye lending a hand to a wolverine to peel them off the ground, and vice versa. The main boos were for the Michigan marching band. Which, why you would pit them against the Best Damn Band in the Land, I do not know. That just sounds like a losing proposition.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:53 am UTC

Me321 wrote:And that flushing noise you hear is OU's bowl chances...

unless we win out.

And we might just do that, OU vs Nebraska for the final Big 12 champ game, just how it should be, I just hope we get a decent team for the Big 12 champ to play in the Fiesta Bowl.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:53 am UTC

What a fucking insane Bedlam, though. Which, I suppose, is there in the name.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:
folkhero wrote:And then Oregon fans booed an Arizona player who really was injured. Stay classy Oregon fans admittedly, fans a asses just about everywhere

Huh. I went to the OSU-Michigan game, and that was as good and clean a game as I've seen, both fans and players. I saw, more than once, a Buckeye lending a hand to a wolverine to peel them off the ground, and vice versa. The main boos were for the Michigan marching band. Which, why you would pit them against the Best Damn Band in the Land, I do not know. That just sounds like a losing proposition.

Last year, an Arizona fan launched a full water bottle and took out an Oregon cheerleader. Oregon v. Zona is not a happy rivalry.

The EGE wrote:

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:TCU is moving to the Big East: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... rned-frogs

I thought they were looking to move to a better conference.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

Oooooooooooo. Snap.

The EGE wrote:

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
The EGE wrote:

Last year, an Arizona fan launched a full water bottle and took out an Oregon cheerleader. Oregon v. Zona is not a happy rivalry.

Yeah, apparently that's a part of why OSU-michigan is now a 12:00 game every year. There used to be a lot of riots after the game, cars burned, that sort of stuff. Earlier game means less time to drink beforehand (not that I didn't see a lot of students trying anyway) and less empties to throw.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:
The EGE wrote:

Yeah, apparently that's a part of why OSU-michigan is now a 12:00 game every year. There used to be a lot of riots after the game, cars burned, that sort of stuff. Earlier game means less time to drink beforehand (not that I didn't see a lot of students trying anyway) and less empties to throw.

One really, in 2002. In Columbus. Michigan fans don't riot, Michigan State fans on the other hand...

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:29 am UTC

I felt really bad for any Michigan fans, as well as the band at the game. Not only was it not an exciting game after the first half, but the 3 Michigan fans in my section were booed and yelled at the entire time, mostly by the few belligerently drunk fans, but still. And booing the band was totally unnecessary. Sure, their band isn't as good as TBDITL, but they're not a bad band, just different.

My dad was trying to get a ticket to come, but if he would have he would have been miserable (being a Michigan alum). I'm kind of glad he didn't find one cheap enough to be worth it.

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:41 am UTC

Yeah, booing the band was pretty stupid. But, I don't exactly like seeing another band taking over the field.

The michigan fans nearby us seemed to be treated just fine. There were the usual comments, back and forth, but nothing nasty. Heck, my dad spend some time talking about other teams with the guy in front of us.

Full confession: I had the constant urge to go up to a michigan fan and say "Ya know, your coat's kind of a bluish color..."

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:TCU is moving to the Big East: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... rned-frogs

I thought they were looking to move to a better conference.

There and did! Provided that "better" is defined as "easier to get into a BCS game!" Too bad for the MWC, though. They *might* have gotten their auto-bid, but with Utah and TCU leaving, I kind of doubt it. They're getting BSU, but I'm not sure if one good school will be enough.

More importantly, I didn't know Texas was in the east.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

Dallas and Arizona were in the old NFC East. Dallas still is in the NFC East.

The EGE wrote:

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

I like to think that football workers interacting with other football workers have less concern with travel lengths and times that a bunch of college kids who have other priorities in their lives. Other than USF, the rest of the conference is in the northeast. (Yes, I also like to be naive and pretend that college football players are actually concerned with their educations, which I know is hilarious coming from a UF fan and alum.)

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

Yeah, not every college can be like Stanford, and actually focus on academics AND football.

I hate giving props to a Cal team, but I have to admit, my Ducks haven't looked too fantabulous of late on the whole "personal standards" issue.

The EGE wrote:

Euphonium
Location: in ur bourgeois bosses' union, agitating ur workers

Postby Euphonium » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:32 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Dallas and Arizona were in the old NFC East.

Which made sense, given that Arizona was originally located in St. Louis (and before that, Chicago). It would be too cumbersome to realign the divisions every time a team moved or an expansion team was created.

Note that the current stretch of eight years without any basic structural change to the NFL landscape (expansion, a team moving, or an expansion of the regular season or playoffs) is the longest in NFL history. Until very, very recently, the NFL was just in too much flux to realign divisions every time something changed. The divisional alignments make a lot of sense now (well, except for Indy being in the AFC South), but that's because there was a massive realignment in 2002 with the most recent expansion (Houston). And it just seems absurd that there would be any obvious geographical sore thumbs to us because it's been (relatively) so long since there's been any need to change anything. But if, say, Minnesota or Jacksonville move to LA, I doubt we'll see any divisional realignment right away.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:48 am UTC

I am mad at the Big 12 for not inviting them, the Big 12 has stupidly decided to only look for schools outside the member states.

but their sucess will not be enough to guarentee the Big East a BCS bid for long, in 2012 (I think) they re-figure the automatic bids, so someone might pass the Big East, not sure who.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

I think the 2012 redesign is to determine if they should *add* a conference, but not necessarily replace one. That said, last I looked at an analysis, the MWC (with today's lineup) was well ahead of the Big East in every evaluation category. That might not be the case with them losing their two power teams and gaining one. The categories are top rank by any team, ranks by all teams, and number of top 25 teams. I'm not sure if they'll be retroactively determining these based on 2012 conference lineups or if it will be based on the lineups of the four years being studied. The former makes somewhat more sense since the leagues of 2012 won't look like the ones of 2008-2011 (or even 2010).

But really, Big 12 could use TCU and it would be more competitive for them.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

In other news, the NCAA has declared Cam Newton eligible since he apparently had NO IDEA his father was shopping him around. :roll:

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

Yeah. I'm unhappy about that. They declared him ineligible yesterday, and the NCAA reinstated him today. That's a feather across the room waved towards Auburn's wrist in comparison to Reggie Bush.

The EGE wrote:

Me321

Postby Me321 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:28 am UTC

At least they found out and investigated durring the season, if they had done this for Mr. Bush, then OU would probably have another National Champ.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:22 am UTC

Alex Zendejas: you have brought shame upon your family, a family resplendent with successful kickers. You have been raised, Tiger Woods style, to kick a football between the uprights since your infancy* and yet you miss a game winning PAT and a game tying PAT. Fell free to never show your face south of Casa Grande. At least there is the decades-old Arizona mantra: thank god for basketball season**.

*I don't actually know what age he started kicking
** I don't care if no one wants to talk about NCAA basketball, I'm going to talk about it here
Spoiler:
While Arizona basketball has seen a slump the past few years, they are really giving fans reason to get excited. Sean Miller's 2nd year and the Wildcats are already looking like they can at least contend for a Pac 10 championship. They are picking up 5-star recruits under UCLA's nose and may already be considered the recruiting powerhouse of the whole west coast.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:17 pm UTC

Illinois has been named to a non-BCS bowl for the first time this milennium, despite making the BCS twice. How weird is that?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

What is an Insight Bowl? Everyone who plays, is suddenly given over to revelations of great wisdom?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

So what are the chances that the Championship's total score will be UNDER 100?

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:What is an Insight Bowl? Everyone who plays, is suddenly given over to revelations of great wisdom?

Sounds like a better deal than, say, the San Diego County Credit Union Pointsettia Bowl.

Or the Beef O' Brady's St. Petersburgh Bowl.

The Little Caesars Pizza Bowl might not be too bad though.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:So what are the chances that the Championship's total score will be UNDER 100?

I think that we're going to see a college basketball score.

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:27 pm UTC

Question: how to players play when the field is covered in snow, it's steadily blizzarding into the stadium, and you can't see the lines? How do the referees manage?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Return to “General”