How can you be too old for something?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rtg928
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

How can you be too old for something?

Postby rtg928 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

I have seen people claim that they don't do things like play a certain game (or games in general) or watch cartoons/anime because they are too old for it (or they might call it kiddy). What I don't get is how you can enjoy something when you are a certain age and then later grow out of it. I kind of understand it on some level because when you are younger you haven't been exposed to as many games/cartoons/anime so you don't have anything to compare it to to tell if it is good or bad but I don't think this fully explains it. For me personally I can't think of a single thing that I enjoyed when I was younger that I don't enjoy now.

User avatar
LongLiveTheDutch
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby LongLiveTheDutch » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

Not sure how old you are, but let me relate a completely anecdotal account from my own life.

When I was 12 or 13 I started playing Runescape. Runescape, for the uninformed, is a browser based Java MMORPG. I played steadily until I was 17, then stopped playing it for another MMORPG. Fast forward a few years, and I start playing it again. It's alright, something to do to pass the time. I was kind of bored, but I wasn't motivated to do anything else. Now, I'm in school full time instead of working full time, and I have no time for MMOs. I would say that I am "too old" for it because it wastes my time. In other words, I've made a conscious choice to make good use of my time.

tl;dr - Became too old for a game, contrary to OP's idea.

User avatar
vector
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby vector » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

rtg928 wrote:What I don't get is how you can enjoy something when you are a certain age and then later grow out of it.


Consider Animorphs, the book series. For someone who is not very emotionally developed, it represents the edge of the material they are "allowed" to engage with, and is thus a very exciting story compared to everything else available. For a mature adult, it is nowhere near the edge and, in fact, rather puerile (since teenagers are kind of boring after a bit).

I read it when I was 8 or so. I am now 20. I grew out of Animorphs when I was 14 or so, and am now extremely grown out of it.
Come visit the Bay12 Mafia subforum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

User avatar
Jacque
a member of shro's band
Posts: 870
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Jacque » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

What TV shows did you watch on TV as a young child? Barney? Power Rangers? Teletubbies?

Sill like that drivel? Exactly.

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Zarq » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

Jacque wrote: Power Rangers
Sill like that drivel?


Hell Yeah!
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

Right, how something effects you depends as much on you as the work. Christians feel differently about The Passion of the Christ than atheists do, after all. Certainly, there are works that continue to affect us as we grow up, but there are also those that only speak to us at certain levels of maturity, and it's perfectly possible to grow out of them, or into them.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

icanus
Posts: 478
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:19 pm UTC
Location: in England now abed

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby icanus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:57 pm UTC

I can't really think of anything I liked as a child that I actively dislike now. There's plenty of things that have lost some of their appeal, but for the most part it's just that there are other things I like more now and I have a finite amount of time.

Actually, strike that. I used to be massively into Ullysses31, then I watched it again as an adult and realised it had no redeeming features. Also the Narnia books lost a lot of their appeal when I understood just how preachy they are. Dogtanian and the Three Muskethounds, on the other hand still rocks hard.

User avatar
fyrenwater
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:26 am UTC
Location: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
Contact:

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby fyrenwater » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:43 am UTC

I understand that we have changing tastes. We come across new experiences and a new set of standards for what we (dis)like. But reaching some unspoken age to be "too old" for things? That's silly. Just seems like something people say when they feel embarrassed for enjoying something that isn't aimed for them. But hey, Periphery Demographic exists. You're not the target audience? Who cares!

Pokémon! LEGOs! Splashing through puddles! Snowball fights! Childish? Just because kids can play with them? Nonsense. Doesn't mean that adults can't enjoy them.
...It made more sense in my head.

User avatar
LongLiveTheDutch
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby LongLiveTheDutch » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:I understand that we have changing tastes. We come across new experiences and a new set of standards for what we (dis)like. But reaching some unspoken age to be "too old" for things? That's silly.


Santa? The Easter Bunny?

Pokémon! LEGOs! Splashing through puddles! Snowball fights! Childish? Just because kids can play with them? Nonsense. Doesn't mean that adults can't enjoy them.


I wouldn't call these childish at all. Perhaps things that a child would experience more, simply because they are more accessible to kids. When I have kids we're going puddle jumping, and I'm going to buy them Lego so I can play with it.

Snowball fights on the other hand.. serious business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAgQKJuriIo

User avatar
OBrien
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm UTC
Location: 1 Bimini Road, downtown Atlantis

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby OBrien » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:11 am UTC

Basicly, what I think is this: Your experience of, for example, a better standard of book which might me too heavy for you when you're ten, will make you realise how badly written the series you loved when you were 8 is, and you wouldn't be able to get past that. Basicly: Yeah, I read Amimorphs too.
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you're never gonna stop loving something just because it's immature and childish. Snowball fights and fart jokes are still awesome.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

User avatar
she-ra
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:45 pm UTC

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby she-ra » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

Okay I am trying to formulate a coherent reply because I think this is a very interesting question.

I think as you get older your tastes change and this can happen differently to different people. I recently moved back home after being away at university for 4 years and am now living in a room that is basically filled with my childhood.It is interesting how some of the things I would never even consider getting rid of. For example all my favorite books are children's/teen books and still think they are better than most adult books I have read. On the other hand I cringe every time I look at my collection of porcelain dolls. Twelve year old me thought they were the most beautiful things ever and while I still think they are quite pretty I now realise they are also horribly, horribly kitsch and cannot imagine any future house I might own which could feature them in any way.

That being said I do not consider myself too old for many things. I greatly enjoy coming home from my very grown up job and watching the Nickelodeon channel. I also think that children get all the best things and kind of like the idea of having a few just so I can have a second childhood vicariously through them...
Without me the world would be doomed.

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

You're old enough to not use a baby bottle of course.

But there's no restriction that prevents you from doing it.

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:51 am UTC

I'm pretty sure you can be too old to be breast-fed......
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
OBrien
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm UTC
Location: 1 Bimini Road, downtown Atlantis

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby OBrien » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:30 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:I'm pretty sure you can be too old to be breast-fed......


ORLY?
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

User avatar
kingofdreams
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:31 pm UTC
Location: An avatar making factory

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby kingofdreams » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

I really don't know if I want to click that link.
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26516
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Comedy bit, guy in his mid 30s still breastfeeds, does so while introducing his date to his parents, HILARITY ENSUES
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

That was an SNL skit I thought? With Jim Carrey, the 40 year old still attached at the umbilical... It was cute.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
OBrien
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm UTC
Location: 1 Bimini Road, downtown Atlantis

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby OBrien » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

This one was Little Britain, back when it was still funny. But hey, it seems like something multiple comedians could think of without knowing that someone else had already done it.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

User avatar
freaki
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:50 pm UTC

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby freaki » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:46 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:This one was Little Britain, back when it was still funny. But hey, it seems like something multiple comedians could think of without knowing that someone else had already done it.

yeah- Little Britain was funny at first, then grew childish, then got cancelled
but those ads with the little britain characters have me convinced that all it needed was a few years break, and then should come back again.
Ever looked at the sky and thought "why?"
no?
me neither.

User avatar
uncivlengr
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 pm UTC
Location: N 49°19.01 W 123°04.41

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

In general, it's expected that you require more advanced means of intellectual stimulation as you grow older, though the medium doesn't necessarily need to change. People often associate the medium with the complexity, though.

A good example of this is something like LEGO - the complexity is widely variable, and adults have no problem producing incredibly complex designs, despite the fact that the medium hasn't changed from that which they used to build very simple toys as a child, and many people associate the LEGO medium with child's-level activities.

In the case of watching a certain television show, or reading a certain book, there's certainly cases where you may not have appreciated the full depth of the story, imagery, etc, as a child, and you can go back and rediscover these things. That's not to say there aren't things that aren't decidedly childish - I never watched anime, but I watched a lot of the classic 80s cartoons as a kid, and aside from occasionally enjoying the nostaligia of it, there's nothing engaging about them to an adult mind.

It's a good thing that your mind develops to the point that things you once enjoyed become too simple to continue to appreciate - it's a sign that you've progressed.
I don't know what to do for you

User avatar
Dave_Wise
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Wales. Explaining much.
Contact:

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Dave_Wise » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

I think half the reason I got into sculpture was stuff like lego and playdough. I just like making stuff. All you have to do is channel childlike pleasures into what you are at least camoflauging as an adult pursuit.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

User avatar
Mazuku
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:48 am UTC
Location: South Australia

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Mazuku » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 am UTC

Obviously you can get too old to stay in certain professional sports but more often it's more like you just lose interest or just don't the same movivation to keep up to date with certain scenes anymore.

I used to want to watch all sorts of movies but in this century, its has been more of a case of finding the internet more appealing.

Conversely, I have added songs from bands which belong to a much younger demographic, not to mention animes, which as far as I know, are usually only watched by Generation Xers or younger.
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

...................................

User avatar
frezik
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:52 pm UTC
Location: Schrödinger's Box

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby frezik » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

I saw the original BSG on-and-off as a kid, and later watched the complete series as a teenager. At the time, I loved it for its story arc.

When the reimagined miniseries was announced, I assumed it would be crap. I always thought the "they made Starbuck a woman!" thing was stupid, but it's my basic assumption that any Hollywood remake will suck, which is usually a good bet. Plus, it was right around the same time that Farscape was canceled, so I wasn't feeling charitable towards the SciFi channel.

When the show got going and word got around that this thing was actually good, I started watching it, and loved it.

Then I decided to rewatch the original and bought the whole series off iTunes. Oh dear, oh dear, how did I ever like that show? Even with the good storyarc, the acting was grating. I didn't even watch the second half of the pilot.

So, thank you, Ron Moore, for showing me what BSG can be, and for showing me what an idiot I was as a teenager.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

User avatar
Myt
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Myt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:12 am UTC

Think of it like this; You discover a song which you really love. It has to be the best song you've ever heard, so what are you going to do most likely? Listen to it over, and over, and over again until one day you can't bear to listen to it anymore. The same thing happens when growing up. Those things which you enjoy and do for years eventually get old and become repulsive. That and some people simply mature out of it or find their childhood fun to become silly.

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Vapour » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:11 pm UTC

You don't stop playing because you get old.
You get old because you stop playing.

Works for the game aspect of it anyway.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Obby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

Image

On-topic, I think that frezik has a great comparison, with BSG. There are a lot of things that people like simply because they don't like to expand their horizons. Some people get really into the nostalgia of being young, and still watch the Pokemon TV show, or Power Rangers, or Dragonball Z well into their twenties, thirties, whatever, simply because they found them awesome when they were 10. I tried watching Dragonball Z again a few months ago, after having loved the show when I was 10 or 11, and I couldn't stand it. Similar to playing some games, or reading certain books, or whatever. That doesn't hold for everything. Some people just get in this rut where they hate on something just because it's aimed at kids (see: above comic). Those people should usually just be ignored.
Last edited by Obby on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Vapour » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

Working and still playing Pokemon.

Yeah!

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

I swear I am actually more into pokémon now than I was as a kid (I'm 22, for context).
I never paid any attention to stats or anything then. It gets a lot more complicated once you learn to pay attention to these things. (I've not yet reached the stage where I worry about EVs and natures and such, but I have friends who do.)
I don't watch the show though, and I haven't in yeeeaaars.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Vapour » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

I would love to raise atleast one pokemon with EVs in mind, breeding it for the perfect nature etc.

I never get round to it though, my goal is just to create a well rounded team that can tackle anything put in its way.

I am tempted to raise a team just for 3v3. 1 healer/support with 2 attackers..

yawningdog
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm UTC
Location: Glen Allen, Virginia

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby yawningdog » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

When I was a teen, I used to think Yngwie Malmsteen was the coolest guitarist in the universe. Now if I try to listen to his music, it annoys me to the point of almost giving me a headache. I thought it was good music at the time, but that was only because I wasn't really listening to it. Now that I'm more honest with myself, it truly is crap.

I also used to play Dungeons and Dragons in my early teens, but stopped for a different reason. In my late teens, I realized that to keep playing was to unwittingly identify with a group of people I didn't like. It's not that I didn't want to do it or didn't still think it was fun, it was just that I wanted to have NOTHING in common with the people who did play it. I suspect a lot of people reject religion for the same reason.

I liked checkers as a child, but gave it up for yet another reason. Once my mind had developed enough as well as that of my sister (my de facto opponent), we always ended games in a stalemate. I moved on to chess, she moved on to Pink Floyd. In other words, it simply wasn't sophisticated enough to keep either of us engaged.

I have always loved video games though. I saw a space invaders machine for the first time when I was 13 I think, and couldn't walk away from it no matter how hard I tried. I'm 42 now, and dropped 60 bucks on COD Black Ops two weeks ago. Some things will never get old.

At age 35, I took up the sport of rugby. I was actually carted off the field a couple of years ago in an ambulance. I was concussed and needed three stitches in my lip, but I absolutely love that game and it was totally worth it. I also took up the cello at 36 and have loved every single note I have ever played. You sometimes outgrow stuff You used to like, but I'm convinced that you're NEVER too old to do the stuff you've always wanted to do.

When I was in the sixth grade, my fantasy was to one day swim with sharks. I have my first scuba lesson scheduled for this Saturday. I am SOOOO pumped.
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26516
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

yawningdog wrote:...It's not that I didn't want to do it or didn't still think it was fun, it was just that I wanted to have NOTHING in common with the people who did play it. I suspect a lot of people reject organized religion for the same reason.

Yeah, there's lots of people who were raised in one particular sect who take a look around, realize they have nothing in common with the people around them, and... switch to a different sect. Or hell, just switch to a different group of the same sect. Or just move away from the whole organized thing and do their own thing on their own time in their own way - still keepin' it religious, just not going to houses of worship - at least, not during services.

People reject religion not because they don't like the people around them - they reject it because they find they don't really believe any of the religion around them.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:People reject religion not because they don't like the people around them - they reject it because they find they don't really believe any of the religion around them.

Yeah, I actually get on fantastically with the people at church. They're great people. I'm ticking the 'no religion' box on the census though.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Intrigued
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Intrigued » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

I want to make a slightly separate point. There's a difference between growing too old for something and being too old for something. In either case it's about not finding enjoyment in something whereas you probably would have (or did) enjoy it when you were younger. However, you might not "grow too old" for something that you did (for example in television) watch when you were younger. If you watched power rangers, while you may be "too old" for the actual plot and thematics, the nostalgia factor allows you to still pull enjoyment from it.

On the other hand, if you had NOT watched power rangers, you may have been "too old" for it by now. For comparison... try watching some new kids shows, like dora the explorer or whathaveyou. I can tell you that I really still enjoy watching some shows from my youth (and some "kids" shows today), but I am "too old" for that. If I had watched it when I was young... I might not be "too old" for it, because I might still enjoy it because of nostalgia alone.

Now, keeping in mind that people will have different "nostalgia thresholds" (some people will feel more connected to things from their past and will have more desire to re-experience them), I think it follows pretty easily how people can get too old for things. I guess my basic point is that I think you enjoy those old things for different reasons now, and some people might not share those reasons.

User avatar
garren101
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:35 am UTC
Location: Alberta

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby garren101 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

When I was young I loved Gundam Wing, and Vision of Escaflowne. Now that I'm older I tried watching both again, and I loved Escaflowne, but I found Gundam Wing to be boring.
Arthur Dent: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford Prefect: "You ask a glass of water."

User avatar
Kurushimi
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Kurushimi » Fri May 27, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

Sorry for the sort of necro but I have to say I disagree with a bunch of people here that say it's possible to be "too old" for something. That seems to suggest it's somehow wrong for an old person to enjoy an activity mostly young people do. As though there are right and wrong activities to enjoy based on your age. This doesn't make any sense to me as I don't see why age should have a direct impact on your interests. Sure, as you age you get new interests, but that's because you get smarter, and experience different things. But if someone were to decide that they continue to enjoy Spongebob well into their thirties, well that's just fine for them.

User avatar
uncivlengr
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 pm UTC
Location: N 49°19.01 W 123°04.41

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby uncivlengr » Fri May 27, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

It's fine, Kurushimi - watch as much sponge bob as you like. Nobody's judging you.
I don't know what to do for you

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26765
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 31, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

Speak for yourself.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Kang » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

Isn't the whole thing pretty much about the fact that someone is always judging you, matter what you do? The trick is rather whether people whose opinion matter to you would judge you or not.

User avatar
uncivlengr
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 pm UTC
Location: N 49°19.01 W 123°04.41

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

It's more about personal integrity than the opinion of others - I would be concerned with myself if I was thirty and my preferences hadn't evolved from the time I was ten, or heck, even twenty. That's not to say there's anything wrong with casually revisiting those things. That's my standard, though, not one I feel needs to be applied to everyone else.

But I was just being facetious in that last comment, anyway - I found it funny that Kurushimi suddenly felt the need to revisit this thread to defend watching sponge bob. I don't even know how children watch that show.
I don't know what to do for you

User avatar
Mokele
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:18 pm UTC
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby Mokele » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote: I found it funny that Kurushimi suddenly felt the need to revisit this thread to defend watching sponge bob. I don't even know how children watch that show.


Are you kidding? Before I completely cancelled cable, it was often the *only* show in 600+ channels that was remotely watchable at any given time of day. In between the annoying noises and simplistic characters, there's actually some surprisingly dark humor and some pretty good "just for the grownups" jokes.

Hell, I'll go so far as to say it's better than any post-season-5 Family Guy, most of the recent Simpsons, and a large segment of Cartoon "throw any random shit on the air so stoners can laugh at bright colors" Network.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests