How can you be too old for something?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

uncivlengr

Re: How can you be too old for something?

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Mokele wrote:
uncivlengr wrote: I found it funny that Kurushimi suddenly felt the need to revisit this thread to defend watching sponge bob. I don't even know how children watch that show.

Are you kidding? Before I completely cancelled cable, it was often the *only* show in 600+ channels that was remotely watchable at any given time of day. In between the annoying noises and simplistic characters, there's actually some surprisingly dark humor and some pretty good "just for the grownups" jokes.

Hell, I'll go so far as to say it's better than any post-season-5 Family Guy, most of the recent Simpsons, and a large segment of Cartoon "throw any random shit on the air so stoners can laugh at bright colors" Network.

If you watch a kids' show because you enjoy the few bits that are "just for grownups", why not just watch a show that's actually just for grownups? You get all the parts you enjoy without the annoying parts.
I don't know what to do for you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

Shows for grownups? They make those?

I mean, I turn on the TV and see shit like Everybody Loves Raymond or CSI:SuperGorefest 3000+Tits and assume we're making TV shows for 5 year olds and teenagers.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:
Mokele wrote:
uncivlengr wrote: I found it funny that Kurushimi suddenly felt the need to revisit this thread to defend watching sponge bob. I don't even know how children watch that show.

Are you kidding? Before I completely cancelled cable, it was often the *only* show in 600+ channels that was remotely watchable at any given time of day. In between the annoying noises and simplistic characters, there's actually some surprisingly dark humor and some pretty good "just for the grownups" jokes.

Hell, I'll go so far as to say it's better than any post-season-5 Family Guy, most of the recent Simpsons, and a large segment of Cartoon "throw any random shit on the air so stoners can laugh at bright colors" Network.

If you watch a kids' show because you enjoy the few bits that are "just for grownups", why not just watch a show that's actually just for grownups? You get all the parts you enjoy without the annoying parts.

Because those shows are almost universally terrible. Seriously, have you seen TV lately? It's fucking awful. IME, there's usually a set of 4-5 shows every year that are halfway decent, consisting of an even mix of "renewed and good but will be cancelled soon" and "new and will drive off a cliff within 2 seasons, if that". Most of those are on 13-episode seasons, so that's a very limited quantity of watchable entertainment per year.

The rest of TV is just awful. You've got crap like American Bland Music Contest and Douchebag Shore competing against Law & Order: Parking Enforcement and CSI: Omaha, while Discover's various channels run such intellectually stimulating fare as Watch Shit Blow Up, CGI Dinosaurs With Bad Science, and Irrational Beliefs That Get Ratings, liberally interspersed with whatever stock wildlife footage they can splice together into a show. News is basically a wasteland, Sci-Fi seems to think deliberately campy modern B-movies never get old and are the ideal filler for the 99% time not occupied by their single watchable show, and Comedy Central is being held afloat solely by Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

Honestly, most of the TV shows I've seen in the past 10 years have had weaker characters, more predictable plots, and poorer execution than most Spongebob episodes. Between that and the transparent substitution of sex and violence for concepts and originality, there's almost nothing worth watching.

I'm not saying that kids shows are necessarily all better - I firmly hold to Sturgeon's law: 99% of everything is crap - but rather that the quality overlaps more than you admit, to the point that some kids shows are better than many adult shows, especially those which don't take themselves too seriously.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

Mokele wrote:Seriously, have you seen TV lately? It's fucking awful.
I watch a good number of television series, but as far as paying for cable? I never have, for all the reasons you've outlined. I can't imagine why people pay to access so much crap in such a limited manner.

I agree that sitting in front of a box waiting for it to present something that you enjoy is indeed fucking awful, but that's hardly your only option, and hardly an excuse to resort to kids' shows to be entertained. If you genuinely like spongebob, then that's your thing, but it shouldn't be because you hold up CSI:Sexmurder as the only alternative.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:
I watch a good number of television series, but as far as paying for cable? I never have, for all the reasons you've outlined. I can't imagine why people pay to access so much crap in such a limited manner.

I agree that sitting in front of a box waiting for it to present something that you enjoy is indeed fucking awful, but that's hardly your only option, and hardly an excuse to resort to kids' shows to be entertained. If you genuinely like spongebob, then that's your thing, but it shouldn't be because you hold up CSI:Sexmurder as the only alternative.

Oh, I agree about the flaws of cable, which is why I cancelled it in favor of Netflix. My objection was to the contention that, essentially, anything on kids shows can be found on adult shows too in improved form, when in fact it's usually not true, and I'll take Spongebob's annoying laugh over "Look, it's the 34th eviscerated hooker tonight!".
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

Actually eviscerated hookers were pretty interesting in the first season of Dexter. :D

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

Mokele wrote:My objection was to the contention that, essentially, anything on kids shows can be found on adult shows too in improved form[...]
I didn't say that - I said if you tolerate the annoying parts of a kids' show for the adult bits, then you should just watch an adult show. Your post seemed to suggest that you watched it simply by virtue of it sometimes not being the worst option - that's not exactly a rave review!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Actually eviscerated hookers were pretty interesting in the first season of Dexter. :D
Bloodlessly chopped up != eviscerated.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

Ah, this is true. Damn.

acablue

Postby acablue » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:13 am UTC

Mokele wrote:
uncivlengr wrote:

Oh, I agree about the flaws of cable, which is why I cancelled it in favor of Netflix. My objection was to the contention that, essentially, anything on kids shows can be found on adult shows too in improved form, when in fact it's usually not true, and I'll take Spongebob's annoying laugh over "Look, it's the 34th eviscerated hooker tonight!".

This. Netflix + Hulu Plus + MLB.TV = my entire entertainment package.

I think, though, that there are more legitimately good, new TV shows out there than you're giving content providers credit for. Everyone thought Fringe was just another ripoff of the X-Files, but if you give it a shot, you'll find that it's a great show. Community is the same way, in relation to The Office. Modern Family. Freakin' hilarious.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

Shows I try to keep up with: Community, How I Met Your Mother, The Office (probably going to let this one rest), Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Modern Family, Doctor Who. I've also been watching (on DVD) Party Down (this is now canceled), Mad Men, and Bored to Death. I should note that I don't actually have a TV...
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

The only one I keep up with as it comes out is Community. There are other current shows I like, but I'm willing to wait for them to show up on Netflix or DVD. (And even Community, I only ever watch on Hulu.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:43 am UTC

Escaping from the question of watchable TV, does it exist? One of the ways you can be too old for something is to be engaged in an activity that is seen as non-productive and therefore something done by children. Adults are supposed to be dong purposeful, productive things. Games and playing have long been seen as things kids do until they are old enough to do Real Work.
Having the time to spend in activities like reading comics is seen as a sign that you aren't busy earning your living.
Undertaking unnecessarily risky acts is also seen as immature, because once adult (usually also a parent) increasing your chances of dying in a stunt is narssistic, and thinking beyond yourself is seen as mature.
Often, things produced for kids are made bold and simple, without nuance or much complexity. So you can be capable of decoding much more subtle material, and the kid stuff is boring or just uninteresting.
That said, if you still enjoy a given activity or book, TV show, etc. keep enjoying it.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

I think the major problem with 'being too old for something' is that you can pretty easily get into a rut.

For example, I learned to read basic books at age 3 (Dr. Seuss, etc.) by 4 or 5, I was reading easy chapter books (boxcar children, little house books, etc.), and by 8 or so I was reading in the young adult section - typically meant for teenagers. My parents encouraged me to stay in that zone for a while as they were uncomfortable with some of the themes in adult books. Looking back, it probably was the best decision for me. I was pretty dang immature.

So I stayed there for quite some time, like a really long time, and not because my parents were restricting me anymore - they were actually recommending books with more adult themes by the time I was 14 or so. Finally when I graduated (age 18), my brothers yelled at me for only reading books I was 'too old for'. Really, they were right. I started reading more classics (although I will never like Hemingway) and realized that I had been holding myself back because I was comfortable with the simple plot lines and stereotypical characters. My brain could handle so much more complex thinking but I hadn't let it. I think it was actually hampering my maturity.

I still love reading overly simple books, and I reread my favorites from when I was younger about once a year, but I'm branching out more too.

Basically, I don't think you can be too old for something as long as you're trying other things too.

Oh also, you can never, ever, ever be too old for swings. You just can't.

Mirko

Postby Mirko » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

Its an incorrect way of saying that one's interests have changed.

Return to “General”