Salvia?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
rockintom99
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:28 am UTC
Location: Washingtonland!
Contact:

Salvia?

Postby rockintom99 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:16 am UTC

I have recently acquired a few grams of 6x, and am quite nervous to try it. I've had mushrooms a few times, which are *so* damned strange, but I know Salvia is a lot stranger.

I've researched it a bunch from many sites, but there hasn't been much personal advice type stuff, aside from the idiots who do it at parties.

So, does anyone with any experience with it have any advice?
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

User avatar
DonChubby
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Tórshavn, Føroyar

Postby DonChubby » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:09 pm UTC

Ah, Salvia Divinorum, where'd you come by it?
Also for advice, stories and such things http://www.erowid.com is the best site, it has info on just about every drug you can think of.
I don't have anything much to say, really, other than godspeed.

Edit: Actually, I do have some advice: do have a sitter, I don't want you to hurt yourself. And be sure not to have sharp edges, stairs etc. around.
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

User avatar
Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:24 pm UTC

I am more than a bit flabbergasted, actually. So flabbergasted that I'm using the word flabbergasted. Next I'm going to use gosh-durnit and crimney.

Anyhow, it strikes me that this place would have one of the lowest response percentages of most of the internet. Although, you would probably get answers of a much higher quality...

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:29 pm UTC

No experience with it, just general advice.

Get two people. One being a person who's done it before to do it with you, the other to watch the two of you and make sure you don't do something stupid.

Make sure you don't have to leave your environment. Get food and such ahead of time.

And, make sure your environment is one you trust.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Salvia is pretty cool. I would recommend trying it at least once, because its an experience that makes you go "wtf was that?!?", and then you can talk about how crazy it was.

ST's advice is pretty basic and really applies to any drug.

But I wouldn't worry a great deal about salvia. I've had some 10x once and 5x a few times. Generally it goes like this: you smoke it, then you trip out and see and feel some weird shit for about 5 or 10 minutes, then ... its completely over. I only smoked about a bowl's worth each time, so I don't know the effects beyond that.

I don't know if you('ve) smoke(d) pot, but its a very different experience. Like I said, the effect is very short term (the longest I've heard it to last is about 15 minutes). Its also not a very "social" feeling, its more introspective and closer to a "spiritual" experience if you want to call it that (that was its original purpose anyway). I wouldn't recommend it at a big party, but a few friends would be good. In my experience, it is better to be in a darkish-quietish area (at night with low music on a back porch was my best time). I have done it while riding in a car with a couple friends and loud music, and that wasn't so great.

For anybody not aware of salvia, it is legal to sell, buy, possess and consume in the US (I think only 3 states have anti-salvia laws) and you can usually get it at any headshop. It is sold in different concentration levels (5x, 6x, 10x ... up to 150x which is an essential oil instead of the leaf). It is natural and non-addictive. Australia has banned it but that is the only country in the world that has. Britain tried to based on the fact that Australia did and "well that must mean there is something wrong with it". As far as I can tell, any legislation is based purely on FUD, as I have never heard of any research with societally negative results, and it has an absurdly low toxicity. Some news reports have said its bad because it is similar to LSD, but these two substances are just about completely unrelated.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

User avatar
niko7865
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:47 am UTC
Location: All over washington state, USA
Contact:

Postby niko7865 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:49 am UTC

One of my friends likes it, they had a much stronger version though, and one of them hates he (he prefers coke). They've never had problems with it or done anything stupid, it only lasts for around 30 minutes too.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???
Image

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:58 am UTC

As Bill Hicks said: Go to nature.

Otherwise, ST and Tank's advice covered everything I would say.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:04 am UTC

TheTankengine wrote:For anybody not aware of salvia, it is legal to sell, buy, possess and consume in the US.


Seriously?

... see, I've never really wanted to do drugs, with the exception of hallucinogens, just 'cause I want to know what'd happen. now I really wanna try it.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:25 am UTC

Belial wrote:As Bill Hicks said: Go to nature.

YOU BEAT ME!

"I took some mushrooms and went to Astroworld and I had a really bad time!"
"Youuuuuu're a moron!"

User avatar
d3adf001
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:27 pm UTC
Location: State College, PA
Contact:

Postby d3adf001 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:40 am UTC

ya ive wanted to do shrooms once just to see what its like. it really has not horrid effects like heroine.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:22 am UTC

d3adf001 wrote:ya ive wanted to do shrooms once just to see what its like. it really has not horrid effects like heroine.

It does, however, destroy your capacity to spell and communicate.
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Owijad
1000 posts and still no title
Posts: 1625
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:07 pm UTC
Location: Mas-a-choo-sits
Contact:

Postby Owijad » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:27 am UTC

And it does, sometimes, cause you to use too many commas, in your sentences.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

User avatar
Vortigen
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Poking you.

Postby Vortigen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:32 am UTC

DonChubby wrote:Edit: Actually, I do have some advice: do have a sitter, I don't want you to hurt yourself. And be sure not to have sharp edges, stairs etc. around.


And don't drive.

...

I say this because once a guy I knew took something and then drove somewhere. During a stoplight, the car in front of him turned into a monster and tried to eat him.

So don't drive.
Hitlist:
1. Corbin Bleu
2. Imageshack
3. Asparagus.

User avatar
Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:33 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Phenriz » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:37 am UTC

Salvia is cool stuff, i have tried it (10x variety) about 3 times.

I would second what DonChubs and Vortigen said, be in a place where you're comfortable, and have someone who isn't going to be smoking it at the same time you are. (merely for saftey's sake)

The past 2 times i tried salvia i always had my charcoal pencil's and paper nearby, Ambient music is nice too. Dimly lit is also cool.

The last time I saw my carpet "dancing" to the music, and a door crack open inside my bar-counter. (there are no doors inside my bar it's a solid wall)

Only lasts for about a minute or two and leaves you feeling pretty mellow afterwards. I guess that depends on the concentration(or multiplier) you have, i recommend starting low however.

There's a video or 2 on youtube of some people doing some crazy physical stuff on salvia, and you could be hurt if you aren't careful, although i've never experienced anything like that, always chill.


I tried pot a few years back but it always left my skin hurting so i never "picked it up" and don't do any other drugs but caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. Salvia is pleasant and like TankEngine said pretty introspective.
Last edited by Phenriz on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

User avatar
3.14159265...
Irrational (?)
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:05 am UTC
Location: Ajax, Canada

Postby 3.14159265... » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:48 am UTC

I have smoked weed only like 3 times. So not an experienced druggy [not meant in a bad way]

I tried salvia, 20X, not that bad. Fun short. Go for it, no worries.

I tried shrooms, new experience and way of thinking I retained, MUCH stronger than salvia, and had a bad trip, I consider to be a very eye opening experience into my psyche.

[edit] I actually like writing alota stuff, when drunk, because I tend to be more truthful and more in touch with deeper desires and such. Tried with shrooms, it takes LONG to write, and you don't really write anything. I could seriously see how people would be very happy if we were constantly on shrooms, and got food somehow.
Last edited by 3.14159265... on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:49 am UTC

Now I'm really curious. But it's illegal here.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff
Posts: 2903
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:44 am UTC

I'm sorry, I don't understand why anyone would want to do drugs and don't think I ever will.

User avatar
DonChubby
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Tórshavn, Føroyar

Postby DonChubby » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:30 am UTC

I am opposed to people using chemically produced drugs, however, if they want to do natural drugs, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to.
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?

For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.

CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:05 pm UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:
TheTankengine wrote:For anybody not aware of salvia, it is legal to sell, buy, possess and consume in the US.


Seriously?

... see, I've never really wanted to do drugs, with the exception of hallucinogens, just 'cause I want to know what'd happen. now I really wanna try it.


Its not really a hallucinogen...

But hey, if that's what lets you sleep at night, go for it.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

User avatar
DonChubby
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Tórshavn, Føroyar

Postby DonChubby » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:36 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:Its not really a hallucinogen...

O Rly?
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?

For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.

CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:45 pm UTC

It's kindof like marijuana, in that it's more a hallucinogen than it is any of the other common drug categories. It's certainly not a stimulant or a depressant.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

DonChubby wrote:
TheTankengine wrote:Its not really a hallucinogen...

O Rly?


And your point is...
I don't see where it says on that page "Salvia is a hallucinogen". I do see "atypical psychedelic" though.

Its more of an entheogen, really.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

User avatar
stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:59 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Postby stuck » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

Alternate experiences in a safe and relatively controlled environment are definitely for the win.

Belial's reference to Bill Hicks basically won this thread for me, though.

I smoked weed for about 3 years during lower high school and turned out fine. I only did it recreationally, however. As for Salvia, this is the first time i've ever heard of it. If it's weaker than weed i'd give it a go for sure.
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

User avatar
Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:33 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Phenriz » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:53 pm UTC

It has a very high metabolism as far as drugs go, i don't even think it's detectable on a drug test, and even if it were it's entirely legal.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

stuck wrote:I smoked weed for about 3 years during lower high school and turned out fine. I only did it recreationally, however. As for Salvia, this is the first time i've ever heard of it. If it's weaker than weed i'd give it a go for sure.


That is what happens to most people -- they turn out just like everyone else.

Salvia isn't weaker. In fact, it is one of the [urlhttp://www.sagewisdom.org/ott2.html]most potent naturally occuring psychoactive chemicals[/url] (as much as 10 times as potent as psilocybine ('shrooms)). Its just that the effect is much different from marijuana. However, its toxicity is extremely low, so no stress about ODing.

Phenriz wrote:It has a very high metabolism as far as drugs go, i don't even think it's detectable on a drug test, and even if it were it's entirely legal.

It might be detectable on a drug test within a day or so, but that is beside the point. Drug tests don't even screen for salvinorin A, so there is no reason to worry about it.


Oh and another note for any possible Salvia users out there: The combustion temperature of salvinorin is something like 450f (about 100 degrees higher than marijuana) or 240c, so you are going to need more than a standard Bic lighter. A small butane torch works very well.
Last edited by TheTankengine on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:13 pm UTC

From my hero, and former namesake:

Saint William Hicks wrote:Why is pot against the law? It wouldn't be because anyone can grow it, and therefore you can't make a profit off it, would it?

They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do just as well … you just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.

Not all drugs are good. Some … are great.

I don't do drugs anymore... than, I'd say, the average touring funk band.

"Today a young man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped off a building, what a tragedy." What a dick! If he thought he could fly, why didn't he take off from the ground? Wouldn't you like to see a positive LSD story on the news? To hear what it's all about, perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting? Just for once? "Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration … that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."


User avatar
space_raptor
Posts: 1497
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:02 pm UTC
Location: Calgary
Contact:

Postby space_raptor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

I have not personally taken salvia, because it doesn't interest me, but I have been around several people who have.

I know one guy who says it was the absolute worst drug experience of his life. Shit just got way too real for him. He said he'd never felt colder in his life, he hallucinated, etc.

Then he tried it again :roll: , and it was fine. So. Beware.

I recommend having a sober person around, and having a spot to chill out. It only lasts five-ten minutes, most I've heard is twenty.

We were watching Shrek 2 in the basement while some people upstairs were trying it, and I guess they thought there were demons in the basement or something. Not in a bad way, really, they were pretty mellow about it, but still kinda weird.

There was a 3D portion of the movie, and we were watching it with those 3D glasses. I went upstairs wearing the glasses, and I got a great reaction from all the high people. "That is the best possible thing you could be wearing right now!"

DonChubby wrote:I am opposed to people using chemically produced drugs, however, if they want to do natural drugs, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to.

This makes no sense to me. You're opposed to aspirin?

They're all just chemicals, natural or processed, it doesn't matter. Hardly a scientific position to take.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

Drugs suck.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:50 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Drugs suck.

Well, there you have it. I'm a changed man. Hallelujia.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:55 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:Drugs suck.

Well, there you have it. I'm a changed man. Hallelujia.


"I want to be, if I can, as sure of the world.. the real world around me as is possible. Now you can only attain that to a certain degree, but I want the greatest degree of control. I don't.. I've never involve myself in narcotics, I don't smoke, I don't drink - because that can easily just fuzz the edges of my rationality and fuzz the edges of my reasoning powers and I wanna be as aware as I possibly can.

That means giving up a lot of fantasies that might be comforting in some ways. But I'm willing to give that up in order to to live in an actually real world, as close as I can get to it." - James Randi

Good idea imho.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Indeed it is, and lauded. Drugs do not suck, you simply choose not to partake in them. Here are some words of love and joy from a famous drug user:

Here is my final point. About drugs, about alcohol, about pornography and smoking and everything else. What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body – as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey – don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we … kill those people. "Shut him up. We have a lot invested in this ride. Shut him up. Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and my family. This just has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter, because – it's just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.

EDIT TO BELOW: You hush now. ;)
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:01 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:you simply choose not to partake in them.


And hence they suck! ;-)

Edit: Oi.. don't bring porn into this, porn is awesome.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
semicolon
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:21 am UTC
Contact:

Postby semicolon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

Couldn't you argue that all the hormones and stuff released by porn has the same reality-distorting effects that drugs do? Sure, it's a lot less extreme, but it still affects you. I definitely act slightly different when I'm extremely aroused than when I have no sex drive at all. Not in any negative, harmful way, but I am slightly different.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:Couldn't you argue that all the hormones and stuff released by porn has the same reality-distorting effects that drugs do? Sure, it's a lot less extreme, but it still affects you. I definitely act slightly different when I'm extremely aroused than when I have no sex drive at all. Not in any negative, harmful way, but I am slightly different.


I don't do my critical thinking when I'm aroused.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:33 pm UTC

"I want to be, if I can, as sure of the world.. the real world around me as is possible. Now you can only attain that to a certain degree, but I want the greatest degree of control. I don't.. I've never involve myself in narcotics, I don't smoke, I don't drink - because that can easily just fuzz the edges of my rationality and fuzz the edges of my reasoning powers and I wanna be as aware as I possibly can.

That means giving up a lot of fantasies that might be comforting in some ways. But I'm willing to give that up in order to to live in an actually real world, as close as I can get to it." - James Randi



Reality is neat, I guess, but if you never get a vacation from it, you tend to get a little bit....static. Your thoughts get into a rut. Your way of seeing things calcifies into something that...isn't terribly realistic, anyway. Without the ability to look at things with new eyes occasionally, you lose perspective.

I'm not saying drugs are the only way to get that vacation. Far from it. I'd be stupid to say that, since I haven't done drugs in years. Escapism and fantasy work just as well. Or just imagination, as a whole. But you need *something*.

*Always* living in reality is not something to aspire to.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Opera Singer
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 1:42 pm UTC
Location: Sunshine State
Contact:

Postby Opera Singer » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:02 pm UTC

DonChubby wrote:O Rly?


"Its effects are considered unpleasant by many people." From the site.

Can you have a 'bad trip' of some sort? I can't think of why people wouldn't like it.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:22 pm UTC

But Randi was talking about things that might dull his reasoning or intellect. Drugs alter your body chemistry and that, as he suggested might "fuzz" his reasoning even in the slightest bit, which he does not want.

I'm sure he enjoys a fiction every now and then.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:26 pm UTC

Eating alters your body chemistry. It's a matter of degrees.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:31 pm UTC

But not your perception (forcibly). I guess unless you ate billions of tonnes.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

With the exception of a few, most drugs don't change your perception when you're not on them.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests