Men's Fashion

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Men's Fashion

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

The third one you linked though Shro looks kind of ridiculous to me. Those pants aren't going anywhere, what with those soulful eyes and strong hands and...
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Shro wrote:The leather wrap bracelet on dude three is a nice touch.
I concur.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

I hadn't considered rolling up the short sleeves of a t-shirt before. Hmm. Then again, until this year I didn't have biceps/triceps to speak of either.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

ShayneThill

Postby ShayneThill » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Just try it. If it looks weird, then you wear Short Hair Wigs.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

ShayneThill wrote:Just try it. If it looks weird, then you wear Short Hair Wigs.

...what?
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

New mod. Hasn't quite picked up the "Human|NotHuman" indicators.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:02 am UTC

I'm a bad poster - I didn't report it because I wanted to see what (mild) mayhem it might cause, it being vaguely plausible.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:18 am UTC

I noted the username for future checkup. I don't always get around to checking up, unless I'm in fit of THINGS MUST BE FIXED which is the right mood for hunting silly wabbits sneaky spammers.

On sorta-topic, I do enjoy the look of suspenders/braces. They're like shirt decorations that serve a purpose.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:13 am UTC

/hangs head in shame.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

I still screw that up sometimes. Tricky bots are tricky.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

I recently picked up some great-fitting and reasonably priced jeans from UNIQLO. Now that's pretty common knowledge, but I'd still recommend them.

Would anyone UK-based recommend somewhere to get blazer-type jackets? I want to pick up a modern-looking tweed one and maybe a patterned one for winter.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:27 am UTC

Here is photographic evidence of the sexiness of a white tee with rolled up sleeves. (In case you ever doubted me.)

alexander-skarsgard-ponder.jpg
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:51 am UTC

...Really now, just because something looks good on a sexy person person photographed or otherwise presented so as to conform with cultural standards generally associated with sex appeal does not mean it is something that everyone should wear.

And that is the fundamental problem with fashion in general.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:40 am UTC

Fashion: what is culturally accepted to look "good" (for some values of good) on the cultural standards generally associated with sex appeal
Style: A combination of what looks good on you, your personality, and cultural standards generally associated with sex appeal.

The application of fashion to style is usually the difficult step of the process.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:30 am UTC

Shro wrote:Here is photographic evidence of the sexiness of a white tee with rolled up sleeves. (In case you ever doubted me.)

Huh, I am really kind of meh at that picture. That said, I guess I lean more towards Image
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:48 am UTC

Shro wrote:Here is photographic evidence of the sexiness of a white tee with rolled up sleeves. (In case you ever doubted me.)

Yeah, but you're using Alexander Skarsgard as your reference. That just plain unfair.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:29 am UTC

White Tee rolled up sleeves experiment: fig 1. No roll.

2013-10-13 12.24.28.jpg

fig 2. Rolled once.

2013-10-13 12.24.16.jpg

Notes: poor lighting conditions may affect quality of results. Concerns about stability of the rolled state without an extra stitch, at least with this T-shirt. Tee: 'Continental' 100% cotton merchandise shirt for band "Public Service Broadcasting"

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm not convinced on the rolling-up t-shirt sleeves thing making any difference.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

It seems like it's more a matter of adjusting the sleeve length to one which you prefer. Some t-shirts have slightly shorter sleeves, some longer. Rolling up the short ones makes your shirt look like a wife-beater whilst rolling up the long ones makes it look more like a normal-length-sleeved t-shirt.

I usually where a checked shirt over my t-shirts anyway so my t-shirt sleeves aren't usually visible. I do however roll the sleeves of the checked shirt up (usually to about the elbow).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Rolling up dress shirt sleeves is the business. T-shirts can go home.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

I concur. But rolling up a full length sleeve doesn't reveal any flesh that a T-shirt reveals anyway.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:

Yeah, but you're using Alexander Skarsgard as your reference. That just plain unfair.
Aye, that's what I was aiming at.

...The other problem with rolling up T-shirt sleeves is, of course, that one of them may have a tendency to unexpectedly unravel, and then you're walking around with uneven shirt sleeves, and then you just look plain slovenly.

Rolling up dress sleeves is a sophisticated science.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

This is one reason I roll up to the elbows. If they unravel from there then ,y elbow catches it and its fine.

I don't roll up the sleeves of my formal shirts though, just casual/smart-casual collared shirts.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

I have definitely been known to roll up the sleeves of my formal shirts. French cuffs actually make it easier, heh.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:22 pm UTC

I discovered that Nordstrom carries a brand of collared shirts which have a trim line that fit me perfectly. Like... perfectly. I tried the first on and gasped.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:24 pm UTC

Quick, buy them all. In two years they will have subtly twerked them so they no longer fit.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:09 am UTC

Two years is awfully optimistic.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:51 pm UTC

What I hate most: when they change the fit, and also change the fit of the shirts I already bought. Even shirts I bought elsewhere. Ususlly they make the waist tighter.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

Interestingly, my shirts are subject to the expansion of space –they only get wider over time.

...and this is by objective measurement, not (well also, until now) relative to my physique. :P

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:29 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:What I hate most: when they change the fit, and also change the fit of the shirts I already bought. Even shirts I bought elsewhere. Ususlly they make the waist tighter.

You idiot. That's not what's happening.

It's the washing machine!

NelsonJohn

Postby NelsonJohn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:35 am UTC

When is it socially acceptable for a man to wear a kilt?
Assuming the answer asks in the context of modern Western culture: On any formal occasion.

It is acceptable for a man to wear a kilt on a formal occasion, such as a wedding, christening, funeral, part of a military uniform, etc. provided he has some credible reason for doing so, such as Irish (it is an Irish invention*) or Scottish heritage, membership or service in selected military units [1].

Absent these reasons, wearing a kilt will be seen as a fashion statement at best and would provoke either discomfort or amusement in others at worst.

For myself (no service in the armed forces):

Would I wear a kilt into the office on a random Tuesday? No, but a kilt is not provided for under my company's dress code (I work for a multi-national).
Would I wear a kilt for going to the shops? Yes.
Would I wear a kilt to my wedding? Yes, and I will some day.

ThomasEvans23

Postby ThomasEvans23 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:53 am UTC

If you have lots of money you can just walk into a high end department store and pretty much anything in there is nice. Trying to find nice stuff on a budget is hard. Lots cheaper stuff just all looks the same because they use the same materials and the same low cost production methods.

Leovan

Postby Leovan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

I'm a 31 year old electrical engineer from Switzerland who is planning to move to the US in 2018, and I'm wondering how professional fashion differs in this field. What do I wear to an interview? Last time I looked for jobs in Switzerland a coach told me to lose the jacket and just go shirt and tie, because it would seem like too much pomp for my profession. My current work uniform is whatever I want as long as nobody's uncomfortable. So my boss works in Slayer T-shirts unless there's an external meeting. I've seen him in a tie twice and once was at the Christmas Party. Obviously this differs and my banker friend wouldn't be caught dead at work without a tie and probably doesn't have a T-shirt in his closet.
What do I have to look forward to in the US as an engineer? Will I need a new wardrobe? Based on my father in law who was an engineer at Intel, the uniform is polos/slacks, and you wear full suit for the interview. Since he's retired I'm not sure if there is an adjustment based on age, and Intel is a rather large company. Any advice?

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:42 pm UTC

Depends a lot on the company. Some west coast startup, you definitely want a Slayer t shirt. Engineering research for a government contractor, you definitely want a suit. And there is an understanding often that people will kick it up a notch for interviews, so that even if the polo and slacks is normal, a candidate in a tie isn't weird. Just like, "Ah, he'll get comfy when he gets the job. Fine." Maybe.

But yeah you could be interviewing at some wildly different places with a field like EE so there's little to say definitively. If you have particular areas maybe people can say more depending. glassdoor.com also can be a good source for info on particular companies here.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:01 pm UTC

It also never hurts to just ask before the interview what the dress code there is. And then, like Doogly said, dress a little nicer than that.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:It also never hurts to just ask before the interview what the dress code there is.

Sounds like an admission of weakness. Risky.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Leovan

Postby Leovan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:14 pm UTC

I'll figure it out with a good old-fashioned stakeout ;) As for what field I'm looking for I'm a hard/software engineer, so I design the electronics and write any necessary firmware for it as well. Tends to be more suited for smaller companies though I wouldn't be disinclined if offered a position in something bigger. I'll be headed to Portland, OR, and from what I've seen there is a mix of companies there, with Intel the biggest.

Back to fashion, should I differentiate between first and possible second interview? I was thinking charcoal suit with dark burgundy shirt for the first interview, and then possibly a navy blazer/khaki combo with light blue shirt. The first to show aggressive confidence (and help me stay confident) and the second for a more professional but fun type vibe. Or should I just stick to simple?

Return to “General”