Men's Fashion

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Re: Men's Fashion

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:17 am UTC

What's wrong with higher bootage?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:49 am UTC

Depends on the boot - this one is quite nice and decorative though, so I think it could work.

Quite a lot of women wear boots that make their legs look longer, and on a guy a similar styled boot can make their legs look long to a silly extent - many don't need lengthening at all :mrgreen:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:55 am UTC

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but saw it on G+

A rather good article on the basic idea behind mens clothing. Keep in mind that there's some things I'd disagree with - younger people probably shouldn't have a handkerchief in his breastpocket, it's somewhat stuffy looking.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:55 pm UTC

Ulc wrote: younger people probably shouldn't have a handkerchief in his breastpocket, it's somewhat stuffy looking.
Depends. For a wedding, I don't really think this would be a stuffy at all and in fact would be very proper. I would never wear a business suit though with a handkerchief in the breastpocket.

This though, is just wrong:
5. Shoes should be the same tone or darker than your pants. This is all the rule you need to know when trying to figure out what shoes to wear. This is why you never wear brown shoes with black trousers, but you can usually wear black shoes with brown trousers. When in doubt, wear black.
It is perfectly acceptable and even fashionable, to wear brown shoes with a dark grey or navy suit.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:04 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Ulc wrote: younger people probably shouldn't have a handkerchief in his breastpocket, it's somewhat stuffy looking.
Depends. For a wedding, I don't really think this would be a stuffy at all and in fact would be very proper. I would never wear a business suit though with a handkerchief in the breastpocket.

When used this way, it's called a "pocket square."

Dark567 wrote:This though, is just wrong:
5. Shoes should be the same tone or darker than your pants. This is all the rule you need to know when trying to figure out what shoes to wear. This is why you never wear brown shoes with black trousers, but you can usually wear black shoes with brown trousers. When in doubt, wear black.
It is perfectly acceptable and even fashionable, to wear brown shoes with a dark grey or navy suit.

I am of the same opinion.

More opinions:
Lose the pinstripes. Go for herringbone. Or other interesting textures (tweed, etc.). Pinstripes are way too overdone.
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suit ... /18613.jsp

Edit for Shit On Sale
LL Bean Signature - Trench Coat - $119 (original price $185).
Dark Green Suede Mocs for $35
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

The blog is writing business fashion. Which is fine, but it doesn't state it. If you're in a large organisation there's incentive to be a bit more conservative with your suit-wearing.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:34 pm UTC

Business fashion is weird. I'm glad I'm in QA and can wear basically whatever.

I just found this blog the other day. Maybe I'm the last to know but I thought I'd share: http://dappered.com/
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Garm wrote:Business fashion is weird.
Er. Really? Its pretty straight forward in comparison to like weddings or black-tie events.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:40 pm UTC

I disagree with the author's statement (emphasis mine):

Your first suit should be either navy blue or gray, possibly with a light chalk stripe (like a pinstripe, but softer), and in an all-season, medium weight

Your first suit should be as versatile as possible, since duh, you only have one. And once you get into chalk/pinstripes on your suit, it's strictly a business suit. It no loungers longer becomes appropriate to wear to weddings and other functions. Once you have your general all-around suit, then getting into certain fabrics or cuts that imply other types of fashion-language becomes okay.
Last edited by Jacque on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

Jacque wrote:Your first suit should be as versatile as possible, since duh, you only have one. And once you get into chalk/pinstripes on your suit, it's strictly a business suit. It no loungers becomes appropriate to wear to weddings and other functions.
I think pinstripe suits are fine for all of those occasions. My (pink) pinstripe suit is really surprisingly versatile. It works for weddings, funerals and business.

It looks a lot like this except with pink instead of yellow.
http://www.indochino.com/product/gray-m ... tripe-suit

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

Jacque wrote:I disagree with the author's statement (emphasis mine):

Your first suit should be either navy blue or gray, possibly with a light chalk stripe (like a pinstripe, but softer), and in an all-season, medium weight

Your first suit should be as versatile as possible, since duh, you only have one. And once you get into chalk/pinstripes on your suit, it's strictly a business suit. It no loungers becomes appropriate to wear to weddings and other functions. Once you have your general all-around suit, then getting into certain fabrics or cuts that imply other types of fashion-language becomes okay.

I agree with you Jacque. What you said about the versatile suit was what I was told when I went to buy my first suit. I was told to get a plain Charcoal Grey suit that I could wear to everything. I was also told to get a blue blazer and dress khakis to wear to a second interview or a summer wedding.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

Is that even a thing? You can't wear pinstripes to a wedding?

So... If someone shows up at my wedding with a pinstripe suit, what's the most appropriate judgmental response for such an apparently brazen action?

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:Is that even a thing? You can't wear pinstripes to a wedding?
It's not. At all.

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:00 pm UTC

So... If someone shows up at my wedding with a pinstripe suit, what's the most appropriate judgmental response for such an apparently brazen action?

Force them to watch "Damn Yankees."
- JFK

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

So... I went ahead and bought myself some wingtip brogues. Oh yeah, they look fantastic. The soles are as smooth as glass, so I'm just waiting for that humiliating moment where I slip and end up on my arse.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:51 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
It's not. At all.

I'm not saying you can't, but...

Show up at a wedding in bold stripes and you run the risk of looking like a banker or someone who works on wall street or this asshole (now that's a power suit). Generally, the more fine (not visible) the stripe, the better in the discussion of wedding wear (best not to stand out too much, unless it's your wedding) unless you happened to be at a wedding where you were requested to wear full morning dress.

Pinstripe cloth when used in suits is more traditionally a business-suiting fabric. Just as a tweed suit is traditionally a countryside suit and not something you'd wear to a business interview.

Certain cuts, cloth, and combinations in suiting have historical context which is still carried over into today's fashion world. They are not hard and fast rules, but more like guidelines. Of course, fashion is a lot looser these days and you can pretty much get away with wearing whatthefark ever.

Does this mean you can't wear pinstripes to a wedding? Certainly not, nobody is stopping you.

It's just nice to be aware about what our clothes are saying as they can carry powerful social signifiers.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:59 pm UTC

Jacque wrote:
Dark567 wrote:
It's not. At all.

I'm not saying you can't, but...

Show up at a wedding in bold stripes and you run the risk of looking like a banker or someone who works on wall street or this asshole (now that's a power suit).
Are either of those really pin stripes, I am pretty sure they are chalk stripes? Pin stripes are stripes with a single thread of a different color spaced about an half-inch apart. Those certainly look wider than one thread.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:31 pm UTC

So, does this also mean that I shouldn't invite any bankers to my wedding?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:09 am UTC

That should be a standing rule for most events.
ImageImageImage

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

My opinion of suits: Your first suit should be as versatile as possible as Jacque says, but I personally think it should be black, plain black. Suitable for weddings, funerals, black tie events, smart/casual parties and job interviews, and a good last minute fancy dress option for Bodyguard or Men in Black guy. Charcoal grey is good, but black is better, it's just slightly more versatile.
If you get a job where you are expected to wear a suit every day, black won't cut it, but no job where you are expected to wear a suit every day will pay you so little that you can't afford a good selection of suits.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote: but no job where you are expected to wear a suit every day will pay you so little that you can't afford a good selection of suits.
This isn't true in the least. The security guards in my building have to wear suits every day, but I suspect they don't get paid particularly well(~$15/hr).

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
AvatarIII wrote: but no job where you are expected to wear a suit every day will pay you so little that you can't afford a good selection of suits.
This isn't true in the least. The security guards in my building have to wear suits every day, but I suspect they don't get paid particularly well(~$15/hr).

is it their own suit or a uniform that just happens to be a suit, because if it's a uniform I'd suspect that it's supplied to them cheaply. I was talking about business suits, not uniforms-that-are-suits

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:is it their own suit or a uniform that just happens to be a suit, because if it's a uniform I'd suspect that it's supplied to them cheaply. I was talking about business suits, not uniforms-that-are-suits

Yeah, I don't really know.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:16 pm UTC

Anyone know where I might be able to find an affordable size 8 straw boater for sale? I'm having trouble finding a place selling one that's both large enough to fit my oversized noggin and <$120. I really don't need one that is that high of quality and would prefer to spend significantly less than that.

Whizzkid1024

Postby Whizzkid1024 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

I think this belongs in this thread...

I'd like to buy a perfume for men (just one of those nice things you can buy when you almost turn 20, just like leather shoes)
Does anyone have some advice on how I could buy a good one?

Thnx :)

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm UTC

I think I might!

Step 1: Go to a shop that sells them, and try lots! Airports are especially good for this if you happen to be going through them with some time to spare.

Step 2: Work out what sort you like. There are woody, citrus/fresh and spicy/eastern ones.

Step 3: Not really a step. But try Chanel's Allure Homme Sport. Then you'll smell like me, and apparently it's good.

Whizzkid1024

Postby Whizzkid1024 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:31 am UTC

Well, I've already been to a store once, but didn't really find one there that really appealed to me, maybe partially due to the saturation of scents in the stores. I think I'll go to a shop again after finals, and ask female friend if she wants to go with me. That would probably be a good idea, the opinion of another person.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:51 am UTC

I like CK Eternity.

I suppose you could take a bag of coffee with you and smell that before you smelled the perfume.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:23 pm UTC

Go to a counter and ask the assistants. It helps if you know a couple of scents you like just so they can help show you something similar. They'll have little paper strips that they can spray on to help. When you find one you think you like, ask for a tester on your wrist then wear it for a day to see what it's like. Some fragrances are amazing when first put on but go downhill quickly after a day.

Happy hunting
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Whizzkid1024

Postby Whizzkid1024 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 pm UTC

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind when I'll go hunting

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:08 am UTC

I'm looking for some shoes. I have sneakers that are comfortable that look cool, but can't take repeated battering (I cycle and walk a lot), I have fancy shoes that look great but are uncomfortable and definitely can't take repeated battering, and I have tough ass-shoes that are really uncomfortable and heavy.

Suggestions / testimonials?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:18 am UTC

dubsola wrote:I have sneakers that are comfortable that look cool, but can't take repeated battering (I cycle and walk a lot)
Invest in better sneakers..? It may be tempting to get the cheapest pair, but the more expensive varieties might last longer, in theory.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:46 am UTC

I've been wearing New Balance 990's for well over a decade as my goto day/jogging shoe. Jogging shoe issues aside, I think it holds up pretty well, and I get a replacement pair about once every year and a half or so. Depending on how battered you're willing to let them get, YMMV.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:29 am UTC

I don't think it's the price, it's that the nice ones (ie not running shoes) tend to look a bit battered after a while. Maybe I just need to accept that. For reference, I normally buy Vans or something in that realm.

Patrik3

Postby Patrik3 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:59 am UTC

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place... I'm looking for advice on hairstyles. I've got pretty long hair at the moment and with the epic heatwave over here in the UK, it's getting pretty hot.

Thing is, although I want to get the back of my hair cut pretty short, I really rather like my long fringe. I enjoy the feeling of it flopping over my face (although I've had to invest in a headband to keep it from blowing into my eyes when I'm trying to concentrate...) and so I don't want to lose it. Also, I really like the "emo-ish" style of a long, floppy fringe over one eye, and sometime I'll get around to learning how to style it like a Pompadour.

I'm also considering dyeing my hair - or rather, adding a stripe to it. It'd be on the fringe, obviously, and so when I have the "emo fringe" it would be part of the hair that flops over the eye, and when I have it combed backward it'll look a little like this (but less sinister :D ). My current thoughts on what colour stripe I'd want are either that I'd have a broad stripe of bleached (white) hair, with a thin band of coloured (probably blue) hair down the middle of the white stripe (i.e. the white gives the blue a border). The other idea I have would be to go a little crazy and dye my whole hair a combination of blue-purple/red-green... I've never dyed my hair before, though, apart from using temporary spray-on paint. I'd probably get it dyed by a professional, if I could find a place that does it cheaply - possibly at the same time as getting it cut.

So, onto the actual questions - if I asked the barber/hairdresser to cut all my hair short apart from the fringe, do you think it would look okay or just ridiculous? I recall "reverse-mullet" as being a legit style, but I think it's usually worn by females.

Also, does anyone have advice on dyeing my hair? If I did do it myself, I'd probably use "Manic-Panic" brand dye, as I recall someone recommending it to me. What colour do you think I should dye my hair? My favourite colours are probably Green, Aqua, Pink and Orange, but I've started to like the whole white-blue-white stripe (unless everyone starts to think I'm Scottish...).

I'm a pretty shy person, but if I personally like how something looks on me then I'll wear it, even if it's not conventional (sometimes because it's silly and not conventional!), but if I don't like it, or everyone says it looks silly on me with no one complimenting it, I'll quickly begin to feel insecure or unhappy about wearing it. And whilst I can just change clothes or whatever, a hairstyle is a longer-term commitment. I could always get the whole thing cut, but as I said - I really like my fringe - so I'd rather not get a haircut than get everything cut but the fringe and then cut that off too after realizing how stupid it looks...

Also, here's some pictures I just took for reference - warning, though - I'm in my pyjamas and no shirt in the picture, so my shoulders and a bit of chest hair is visible... also I haven't shaved today so I have a neckbeard... also I suck at taking self-photos on my cameraphone...

Spoiler:
My hair 'flopping' over my face. It doesn't look quite as thick/solid as it sometimes does because you can actually see my eyes... also, I haven't straightened it but FYI it reaches just further than my chin. (I do own a straightener, but it's a little crap and I always forget to use it...)
This is my hair when I comb it backwards. I realise now that it's not a great picture, since the actual hair is somewhat cropped by the edges of the photo...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:15 am UTC

I can't comment on style because ... frankly, I never knew what to do and from roughly 14 to 25 had long hair, and from 25 onward had increasingly shortening hair I cut myself until I said "The hell with it" and started shaving my head a few years ago, buuuuuuuuttt...

If you're going to dye your hair and want it to look good for more than a few days, go to a hair stylist and have them do it, or go to a beauty supply shop and buy what you need there (after researching what you need). And ask a stylist how to care for it. Yes, they're going to recommend some expensive shampoo they sell - buy it if you want, or look it up and find a cheaper alternative. But after seeing my wife's results with different shampoos - they really do make a huge difference. Huge.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:19 am UTC

For the cut, go somewhere that does both men and women's fashion cuts (so no SuperClips). Some higher end places don't do many men's cuts so be sure to ask if the hairdresser has done a lot of men's cuts. Bring in reference photos of what you want. Hairdressers tend to love reference photos.

I can't speak to the dyeing your hair part. It may or may not be something you can do yourself.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:until I said "The hell with it" and started shaving my head a few years ago, buuuuuuuuttt...
My sentiment exactly. Well, I don't quite shave it right down to the skin, and I do it infrequently enough that it's easier to go to the barber rather than make a mess of the bathroom trying to do it myself. But I very much enjoy the security of knowing that no matter what happens, my hair is so short that will look pretty much the same as it did when I woke up in the morning. It stands to reason that the more elaborate one's hair gets, the more time will be spent maintaining it.

If I may ask, do you keep your head regularly shaved down to the skin? Is there a particular implement you use?

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Dyeing advice: good fucking luck finding someone to do it for cheap. Standard minimum for all-over color for men and women in the US is ~$60, moving upwards to $100 and $150 if you require multiple treatments (bleaching and dyeing are separate treatments.) What color is your hair naturally? If darker than dirty blonde or mousy brown, it will be all but impossible for you to obtain white hair. If you do manage to strip enough pigment out of your hair (this will require multiple bleach applications) you'll need to use a purple-ing shampoo to keep it from yellowing out in your shower water; most water supplies in the US have a fair amount of minerals and chemicals that will yellow white and blonde hair, turning it brassy. Purple-ing shampoos are just silicone-free shampoos that have some lilac dye up-ins to counteract the effects of the hard water on your hair, yellow and purple being opposites and all. My advice would be to go to a reputable salon - don't ask your friends, ask yelp and the internet - and get the bleach treatment there, possibly with a toning treatment (that same purple dye) if you're going to go for a cooler final color. Green on brassy yellow works out to about baby shit color, where green and balanced white or blonde work well.

Regarding final color choice - take into account what clothes you wear most often, and what colors show up most in your wardrobe. Try not to dye with a seriously clashing color (for example, if you wear a lot of orange, I wouldn't go with purple, but red would work nicely.) Keep in mind the cultural associations with certain color combinations, red and green evoke Christmas-y thoughts, and while you may love the combo now, you may not love all of the Christmas comments in a month.

What your natural color is helps determine which colors will stay longest in your hair - as a general rule, the more red the color has in it the shorter the amount of time the dye will stay put in the cuticle of the shaft of each hair. Red dye molecules are big, and have a harder time getting lodged in there well enough to stay for too long. Green molecules, however, are teeny tiny in comparison and will get stuck for basically forever (or at least some of them will - if you bleach the green out, some will remain and make your hair look like it soaked in chlorine all summer.) This applies to hair type because dark colors are really just a concentrated red pigment, black is the most concentrated, then brown, then red, then blonde, and eventually gray/white have none at all. This is why dark hair remains orangey when bleached, it's very difficult to get all of that pigment out. I suppose a short lesson in how dyeing works physically might be useful here: bleach acts to open up the cuticle of the hair shaft, which allows the nasty-ass peroxide (or whatever other agent) to strip the pigment out of the hair, leaving only the color of the natural keratin. It's more complex than this, but it gives you a basic idea. Blonde hair doesn't have many holes worked into it when the red is removed, brown hair does. Because of this, blonde hair accepts tiny pigments well, but not large ones, because the concentration of the tiny pigment can be better in those nooks and crannies than the big pigments could maintain.

Anyway, what that all means is if you're blonde, good luck getting reddish colors to stay in terribly well.

Dye brands: fuck manic panic. Manic is a semi-permanent dye, it is nothing but pigment that you slap on the hair hoping some of it stays on by falling into the lifted cuticle. Special Effects, on the other hand, is a demi-permanent brand, meaning it includes a chemical that assists in the deposit of dye into the shaft of the hair. Permanent hair dyes just have a much higher concentration of the make-it-stay chemical, and so last even longer than demi-perm dyes will. Special Effects is available on amazon.com and in many alt stores in the US, dunno about other places.

Anyway, sorry that got long. It's all pretty simplified, lemme know if I should clarify anywhere.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:If I may ask, do you keep your head regularly shaved down to the skin? Is there a particular implement you use?
I do. I use..... a razor. Specifically this one The same thing I use to shave my face. And anything else that needs shaving. Usually via a "Start at the top, work your way down" while in the shower, with chin cleanup after the shower as I'm terrible enough at shaving a straight line when I can see what I'm doing - doing it blind would be horrible. (Note - I've got Friendly Muttonchops. Because fuck you, that's why)

Spoiler:
FANCYYOUGUYS.jpg
That's my wife. On the left. Wait, right. Shit, I get those mixed up.

But I am not a picky individual. Though I think I am going to switch over to a safety razor, mostly because the blades are cheap as hell.

Also, the included image should more than clarify that everything I know about hair is stuff I learned from my wife. And that I should never give any fashion tips. Ever.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “General”