TvTropes.org

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

turret

TvTropes.org

Postby turret » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

TvTropes, how often do you frequent it? Are you a frequent editor?

And anything else you can think of about tvtropes (yes, I know you can't start a sentence with a conjunction).
You see here what you want to see. It is rather weird that you would want to see something affirming your seeing what you want to see. You, my friend, are a weird person.

LaserGuy

Re: TvTropes.org

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

I try to avoid it most of the time...

I've had a few days where I accidentally ended up there, then wondered four hours later how I still had 57 tabs open of things I wanted to read and hadn't got anything else done all day.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

That site eats up so much of my time when I view it that I keep my visits to a minmum nowdays.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

NOT AGAIN! EVERYDAY MY LIFE IS WASTED BECAUSE OF THAT SITE!

In fact, I'm reading it again. It already destroyed my life, so it's not like I have something better to do.

turret

Postby turret » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

I somehow always end up wanting to go back and read all the pages I missed, I've spent hours in the Wild Mass Guess pages, it's always fascinating to see what people come up with.
You see here what you want to see. It is rather weird that you would want to see something affirming your seeing what you want to see. You, my friend, are a weird person.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

Perfect site to pass the time when you don't have to be productive.

When you do have to be productive? your worst enemy
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:19 pm UTC

I am on the forums, which somehow manage to be even more time-consuming than the main wiki.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

mstjarna

Postby mstjarna » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

I've visited it a couple times, for short periods, but never understood the fascination.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

mstjarna wrote:I've visited it a couple times, for short periods, but never understood the fascination.

That means you have a remarkable mind, one that is powerful enough to resist the Cybermen Troper programing!

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

turret

Postby turret » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

mstjarna wrote:I've visited it a couple times, for short periods, but never understood the fascination.

Are... are you a robot?

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

Do any other autistic types find it really useful for helping them get into fiction, in general?
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:46 am UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:Do any other autistic types find it really useful for helping them get into fiction, in general?

One thing I will say about TV Tropes; some of the entries are really useful for pointing out symbolism or explaing details in a story or comic I may have missed the first time reading through that story. For example, I didn't catch that FLCL had strong 'Coming of Age' elements in it's plotline until I read a TV Tropes entry about the show.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

I consider myself a troper. I don't edit frequently, but I do edit enough that I decided to get an account. I always read works pages after I finish the work because I like to see what went into the work to make it what it was. In ongoing TV series, I read the page(s) for that show every episode or so -- I like to know what the fandom sees, and how it reacts (WMG, JBM).

I can't stand the Darth Wiki. Sometimes when I'm feeling mean I'll read it a bit, but it's so caustic it burns my very soul into a seething lump of hate. In contrast, some days I curl up in bed with my computer and a hot chocolate and read the sugar wiki for hours. I know it's cheesy, and sometime it makes me feel a bit sick, but it's just so happy there.

I also spend time in the YKTTW. Unlike on the main pages where the works I know are already there, I can actually contribute to the YKTTW.

Also, it's ruined my vocabulary and possibly my life.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:26 am UTC

I'm a fairly frequent reader, but I don't have an account and I've never posted on the forums or edited articles. I went through a phase which lasted a few months where it was pretty much all-consuming, but I think I'm mostly over that by now. I will log on occasionally after finishing a work (whether a novel, movie, or TV series), like animeHrmIne said, just to get a little more insight into why the work turned out the way it did, and find new connections between that and other things I've seen/read. And yes, it is absolutely lethal when I have something constructive that I should be doing instead - I don't think I've ever visited the site and spent less than an hour there.

Also, it's ruined my vocabulary and possibly my life.

To be fair, the site does warn you about that.
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:34 am UTC

I visit it when there are links on these forums. Each time I go on I might open like 3 tabs or so but end up getting bored and not even finishing the thing I came there for. I never understood how people can pass hours there.
these are words
type, type, type

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:53 am UTC

turret wrote:(yes, I know you can't start a sentence with a conjunction).

Says who?

I like the Didn't Do The Research subtropes, but I don't venture far out of there. I find those to be interesting, like most common-misconception-themed writing, because I feel like I'll learn something that I'll be constantly reminded of during my everyday life.
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

RAKtheUndead

Postby RAKtheUndead » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:32 pm UTC

I've tried, on occasion, to run through entire sections of the site. Obviously, as any long-time troper will realise, that's largely an impossibility.

Nowadays, I might meander into their out of sheer interest. I like using some of the pages as examples, such as Fackler's Scale of FPS Realism (it demonstrates quite aptly how realistic ARMA 2 is versus something quasi-realistic like America's Army and especially against something like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2) and Mohs Scale of Science Fiction Hardness. I'll never be able to do much with the site, but it's an interesting place nevertheless. I'm not a proper troper, but I enjoy the site enough as it is.
"The outright rejection of technology cripples the otherwise educated mind." - RAK

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:54 pm UTC

I think it is incredibly overrated and poorly written, and that it leads to people who don't know what the fuck they are talking about believing they know something about literary analysis. And if I read "nuff said" in lieu of an actual explanation of how it is an appropriate example of a given trope one more time, I'm going to sigh and go about my business.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

turret

Postby turret » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I think it is incredibly overrated and poorly written, and that it leads to people who don't know what the fuck they are talking about believing they know something about literary analysis. And if I read "nuff said" in lieu of an actual explanation of how it is an appropriate example of a given trope one more time, I'm going to sigh and go about my business.

I disagree, while it might not have the same standard of writing as say, Wikipedia, it is still a valuable insight into what people think of popular culture. It is in some ways the antithesis of traditional literary analysis, as it relies on several people who can (and often do) disagree. So it might feel disjointed to some; but it is still a valid tool for writers and audiences alike. Although I agree on the 'nuff said point, that's just annoying.

'Nuff said

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 pm UTC

I look at TVTropes the same way I do Cracked, or any of the other browser narcotics. It's an entertaining way to waste time, gives me stuff to talk about, and there might be some good ideas in there. It's not a primary source for me, and I wouldn't uses it for research, but it's entertaining, and sometimes, that's all I need.

It has given me ideas, though. The 'Antihero' article got the gears turning in my head for one essay last year. One quote about the difference between a hero and an antihero ended up being the central focus of my paper, and it was one of the best things I wrote in that class.

Fuzzyduck: Yes, definitely. I'm not autistic per se, but I've got a lot of the characteristics. I do find that it helps me understand fiction a lot more, and I've found a couple works I really like from there.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Fallingwater

Postby Fallingwater » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:21 am UTC

It's one of my favourite internet timewasters. I add examples whenever I can think of any, and they're right, it does tend to ruin your life, though mostly in a funny way. I'm not active in the forums (gave it a go, didn't like the atmosphere), but I'm quite active on the IRC channel. My troper page is here.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:37 am UTC

TvTropes most definitely ruined my vocabulary. I know that some of the tropes have actual literary terms, but it's so much easier to think of things in their TvTropes titles. If I'm asked to discuss an antihero my first inclination is to state which type of antihero he is. Things like that make discussing media much more entertaining and it's much easier to analyze the different aspects when they have a name. That being said, it's hugely frustrating when I'm tying to explain something in tropes to someone who has never heard of it.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:06 am UTC

I got victimized by the "to ruin your life, " link. Despite being warned in the first page I entered in Tvtropes that it's a time-waster I still end up straying away here.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:I got victimized by the "to ruin your life, " link. Despite being warned in the first page I entered in Tvtropes that it's a time-waster I still end up straying away here.

Good grief, even when you know what you're getting into, you still get sucked in. I want the past 15 minutes back.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

mowdownjoe

Postby mowdownjoe » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:29 am UTC

I don't go there consistently, but I do have a FireFox Search Plugin just for those times where I go, "Hmm... isn't there a trope for that?"

hoggwylde

Postby hoggwylde » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

I swear by now I must of read nearly the whole site, but theres always more... ALWAYS. I'm also sure I once had over 30 tabs open just to various bits of it

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:05 pm UTC

hoggwylde wrote:I swear by now I must of read nearly the whole site, but theres always more... ALWAYS. I'm also sure I once had over 30 tabs open just to various bits of it

Psshht. That's nothing. I do believe I had sixty-something tabs open once, right before my browser crashed to save me from the horror.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:05 am UTC

I limit myself to one tab at a time. If I see something that looks slightly less interesting then the link I decide to click, I can go back later. Of course this never works, but it does fix the tab overload problem.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:42 am UTC

The EGE wrote:
hoggwylde wrote:I swear by now I must of read nearly the whole site, but theres always more... ALWAYS. I'm also sure I once had over 30 tabs open just to various bits of it

Psshht. That's nothing. I do believe I had sixty-something tabs open once, right before my browser crashed to save me from the horror.

Your computer is weak with the force. Mine had over 100 tabs open.
(damn that overlord list!)

Return to “General”