XKCD Fora Secret Santa Gift Exchange: 2010

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PhoenixEnigma

XKCD Fora Secret Santa Gift Exchange: 2010

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:26 am UTC

Hello, and welcome to the second annual

XKCD Fora Secret Santa gift exchange!

With SpaceMilk and __jess's resounding success with last year's gift exchange, and with the holiday season approaching again, we thought it'd be a good idea to do this again.

In case you're not sure what a Secret Santa exchange is, Wikipedia (as always) has a useful article. The short version, though, is that everyone in the exchange is randomly assigned another member to anonymously send a gift to, and everyone gets a gift from someone else. It's really that simple, and it's a pretty great way to do some holiday-spirit-raising.

If you want to take part, we're making that easy, too! First, we are again restricting participation to those who've been members for at least 3 months or so. If you joined during or after September this year, we do apologize, but we want to make sure everyone involved has a fairly good understanding of the xkcd fora community, and this is a simple (if imperfect) way to do so. If you joined the fora before September and want to take part, there's only two things you need to do in order to get involved:

1. Respond in this thread! Post here, with the answers to the following questions:

User Name:
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated:
Hobbies:
Favourite colour:
Favorite xkcd comic:
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies:
Any other pertinent questions/comments:
Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: (This is a good idea if there's something particular you need to know about your recipient, because asking them directly is a bit of a give away)

2.Send a PM to ThinkSweet with your full, real name and home address. This is really, really important, because without this information there's no way to get your gift to you! If sending things internationally and/or overseas isn't an option for you, please mention that as well, so we can take that into account.

After that, it still doesn't get much harder. On November 20th, we're stopping sign ups and starting to randomize everything, and will send you a PM with the name and address of your recipient. Once you have your gift packaged and ready to send, please snap a photo, just in case your Deadbeat status is called into question (more on this later). Also, mentioning it in thread is a good idea, so we can keep track of things. We're asking that you try to do this by December 1st, which will give everyone about a week and a half after finding out who they're sending to, and leaves lots of time for the postal systems of the world to work.

Once you receive your gift, please plan to take and post some photos here so we can all see!

If you're thinking this all sounds really cool, but you're a starving student, have other financial commitments, and/or just bought a new yak and can't afford to do this - don't worry! If you chose to buy something for your gift, you shouldn't spend more than $20 on it. Really, though, there's no need to spend anything at all - the best gifts aren't the expensive ones, but the ones with thought and creativity. Take a look through last years thread, and you can see some of the very awesome and very inexpensive gifts people sent and received. However, do bear in mind you may draw a forum member from another country, and international shipping can be expensive, particularly for larger and/or heavier packages. If shipping internationally isn't possible for you, but you'd still like to participate, mention it in your PM and we'll find someone more local for you (if possible)

It's only fair to warn you that there are a couple points where things might go wrong. First, while this is an internet forum, for this to work your real name and address will be known by ThinkSweet (who's handling the deluge of PMs), Cathy (who is running the organizational system) and whoever your Secret Santa is. We won't share your personal information in any way, shape, or form that's not needed for this exchange. Since you're giving out your real identity, if you're a minor, it's strongly encouraged that you check with your parent(s) and/or guardians first. While there's no way for me to make promises about your Secret Santa, most forumites seem to be good people, and hopefully they won't sell your information to spammers or something.

Second, it's possible that you could send a gift, but never get one. It's an unfortunate truth that there may be some people (Deadbeat Santas) who sign up, but fail to send a gift. To help deal with this, anyone who has holiday spirit to spare can sign up to be a Super Secret Santa. These awesome people are volunteers who agree to send a gift to someone who sent a gift but never received one. This is also why we're asking you to mention in the thread when you've sent your package off, and to take a photo or something just in case it gets questioned.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask in the thread or PM Cathy, ThinkSweet, or myself for answers. I'd also suggest looking over last years thread. __jess and Spacemilk did an absolutely amazing job of organizing this last year, and that thread is full of ideas, tips, suggestions and general awesomeness. I'll be keeping this post updated with suggestions, answers to questions, participant lists, and anything else useful.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Signed Up Santas!
Spoiler:
Cathy
ThinkSweet
e^iπ+1=0
poxic
Raeluna
rath358
semicharmed
blue_eyedspacemoneky
OBrien
Daojia
Sungura
Magnanimous
Sokh
Thrin
llamanaru
Mavketl
nephest
JoeyJo0
silent man
Two9A
Wolf

Signed Up Super Santas!
Spoiler:
Cathy
Sokh
nephest
silent man

_________________________________________________________________________________
Shipping Tips
Last edited by PhoenixEnigma on Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:45 am UTC, edited 6 times in total.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Cathy

Re: XKCD Fora Secret Santa Gift Exchange: 2010

Postby Cathy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:35 am UTC

User Name: Cathy
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Yes oh yes!
Hobbies: Reading (Fantasy, Sci Fi), Sparkly Crafty Stuff, Sewing, Kitties
Favourite colour: Blue
Favorite xkcd comic: Cat Proximity http://xkcd.com/231/ \O/ KITTY!
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Pretty much any jewelry metal except nice silver and gold. Don't give me jewelry :(
Any other pertinent questions/comments: The temperature here in Tay-haws (Texas) has ranged from 87F to 40F in about a week, no things that melt please!
I'll be organizing participants and such, and I promise to keep your info safe!

Me: I am Female, Size Small/Extra-Small (either one works), and my wrist size is 6 inches, 7.5 if it goes over the hand, neck is 13 inches. Yay handy tape measures!
Favorite Christmas Present was a giant list of books, all fantasy/sci-fi series, and the first book of each series. I'm a sucker for book suggestions!
Tea: I love herb-ey teas like chamomile and peppermint, lindenbluten, but I also like Earl Grey-like teas. I don't like chai-type teas so much though. More sugar less spice!
Garments: I'm pretty much a small in everything except for feet where I'm medium. Size 8-9 US shoes, and I loove crazy socks and scarves, so-so on hats.
What movies/shows do you like? I used to watch Stargate and Star Trek somewhat regularly, Pixar movies are my secret weakness, as are totally adorably cheesy chick flicks. And semi-bad sci-fi movies, as long as they don't get things blaringly wrong. [looking at you 2012!!]
Music Tastes: Classic Rock (Pink Floyd, Queen), 90's stuff (Michelle Branch, Dave Matthew's Band), Pop (but not disney artists, please), pretty much anything but screaming, country, gangsta rap, or excessive cursing.
Appropriate Level: I would prefer SFW, but I've got reasonably loose standards for SFW. So, anything safe as long as I have headphones.
Favorite games, Computer: Age of Mythology, Civilizations, Starcraft
Favorite games, Tabletop: Uhm, haven't played any in years. Does chess count?
Ninjas or Pirates: PIRATES! They're more fun for a girl to dress up as (imho)

vv a bazillion edits
Last edited by Cathy on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:38 pm UTC, edited 9 times in total.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:07 am UTC

User Name: e^iπ+1=0
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Of course! In fact, it's preferred!
Hobbies: science, computers, general geekery, cubing
Favourite colour: blue
Favorite xkcd comic: It's tough to choose, but maybe 433. My girlfriend and I often quote the last two lines to each other.
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: I'm a vegetarian. This means no meat, no fish, no gelatin. If in doubt, probably best not to send food. Also, even though it's winter, it's still very hot here in southern California. Point being, don't send chocolate or other things which might melt/spoil.
Any other pertinent questions/comments: Not particularly.
Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: Shirt size. Mine's generally large.

--------------------------------------------------
Wrist size: about 7.5 inches around
Neck size: about 15.5 inches around
Favourite past xmas present: Not sure, but I really like homemade things.
Do you like tea: No, but I've been told my opinion doesn't really count because I haven't had much English tea.
Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or socks: Yes! In fact, semicharmed gave me a handmade hat for last year's exchange. I've also gotten a handmade hat and scarf from my girlfriend. All were very good gifts
Shoe size: About a 10 mens US
What movies/shows do you like: Scrubs (first 7 seasons only), Firefly, The Colbert Report, Futurama, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, The Guild, V for Vendetta
What's your musical taste: That's hard to answer because I like many different genres. For instance, I like Tim Minchin, Dropkick Murphys, Brand New, The Beatles, and Daft Punk.
What's the max vulgarity (for lack of a better word) of your gift: NSFW is fine, so long as it's not just for the hell of it.
Tabletop games: Can't think of any that I particularly like. Probably best not to get me one.
Pirates or ninjas: Though ninjas would obviously win in a fight, I'm going to have to go with pirates, being a Pastafarian and all.

Sorry if I missed anyone's question(s), there were a lot and people kept editing more in.
Last edited by e^iπ+1=0 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:21 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:13 am UTC

User Name: poxic

Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Absolutely!

Hobbies: drawing things with any kind of pencil/pen/chalk/charcoal/paint/anything, making music with anything (literally -- I've used knees, cutlery, and paper :D )

Favourite colour: blue, green, black, red, purple, not necessarily in that order

Favorite xkcd comic: No one favourite, but I like the "insight into human nature" ones a lot

Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Allergic to bloody everything. Do not send food, drinks, jewelry, perfume or perfumed products :|
Edit to add: plastic and thread are okay, so you can totally make me a rad bracelet or necklace of plastic and/or glass things.

Any other pertinent questions/comments: I like science books written for non-scientists, and will probably love any homemade artistry you'd like to send. Or anything else you think is awesome. Make me a mix CD of the music your friends make, or paint me something, or send me poetry books published by people in your town.

Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: Any mailing restrictions particular to your country, or to you? Do your sendings or receivings have to be approved by parents, or is there a limit to how much you can spend in shipping? (Me = no restrictions, aside from whatever can/can't be sent/received to/from Canada)

Edited to answer later questions:
Wrist size: mediumish, most adult-size bangles do not fit over my knuckles
Gender: female, but I love wearing men's accessories (ties, caps, and so forth)
Shirt size: medium
Favourite past Xmas present: boring useful stuff. I'd prefer something whimsical and frivolous this time.
Music: Anything odd. I like interesting folk and folk-fusion things from around the world.
Max vulgarity: If it's clever rather than offensive-for-the-sake-of-it, I'm good.
Tabletop games: Anything quirky and fun, and ideally good with as few as three players (up to eightish)
Ninjas or pirates: I'm more of a zombie French philosopher kind of gal.
Last edited by poxic on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:34 am UTC, edited 7 times in total.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:14 am UTC

User Name: Raeluna

Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Of course. The crazier the better!

Hobbies: Reading, spacing out on the internet, sciencing, quoting lolcats at people, music <3

Favourite colour: Blue, purple, gold, silver

Favorite xkcd comic: http://xkcd.com/260/

Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Fish

Any other pertinent questions/comments: I'm a female ;p And I really don't like pink

Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: Wrist/neck size, gender.

Am I fine with homemade goodies: Heck yes! I love them. Especially sweets. Om nom nom. I may send some in return as thanks. ^_^

Favorite Games (tabletop/pc): Plants vs Zombies, Bloons, Sorry!, Team Fortress 2, League of Legends, Card Games. I'm also a giant nintendo nerd so...pretty much anything by them as well.

Pirates or Ninjas: Pirates! You never see Ninjas with wenches, do ya?

Movies/TV: DOCTOR WHOOO, The Core, Blue Planet/Life/Fierce Planet/Anything on Discovery Channel, Avatar: TLA ()cartoon, not the movie(), Anime, Animal Planet, CSI, Law and Order: SVU, Any kind of forensic crime shows, really...

Do I like hats/scarves/gloves etc: YES! I don't have enough of them and I loooove them. Especially hats with earflaps or little bobbles. Long pretty scarves are awesome, especially when I can wrap them around my head too. Gloves? Love em. Can never have enough.
Shoe Size: US Womens 9 - 9 1/2
Shirt size: I have rather...large twins on my chest and prefer my shirts to be roomy. (I wear a large - 1x but really like 3x better. I dress like a hobo heehee)
Tea: I LOVE mint tea, of any kind. Love it love it love it.
Wrist/Neck size: I don't really wear necklaces as they get caught in my hair, but my wrists are small to medium.
Appropriate Levels: Nothing horribly obscene, please. I live with children ^^;
Last edited by Raeluna on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:35 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:20 am UTC

Yes! I can't wait!

User Name: rath358
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: DEFINITELY

Hobbies:robotics, making chainmaille, reading, videogames, finding new hobbies/trying other people's hobbies
Favourite colour: right now, it is pink or purple. That may change in an hour or so...
Favourite xkcd: I have to pick one?!? I will say Circuit Diagram for now. I really liked the Little Rock mini comic from Friday, too
Food/jewellery/duck/otter allergies:nothing
Other relevant info: I am a guy, in High School, but girly-ish or gender neutral presents are totally cool.
I will probably come back and add info, especially if you ask for me to.

Mailing restrictions: nothing illegal in the US
Shirt size: medium (US Men's/adult, I assume)
Wrist/neck size: wrist: about 7 inches circumference neck: about 16.5 inches circumference (these are very rough measurements, done with string and graph paper)
Favourite Christmas gift: The bugle I got a few years ago(When I played trumpet), a kayak even longer ago,
Tea: no.
Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or sock: It is cold here. YES
Shoe size: Mens, US:11.0 UK:10.0 EUR:44.0 CM: 29.0
Musical preference: I like everything to some degree.
Movies/shows: Don't watch much TV, I loved Fight club and Avatar, I enjoy a bit of anime, though I am just getting into it.
Maximum vulgarity: No giant pink dildos, please
Books: I loved HHGTTG, I enjoy sci-fi and fantasy, especially Forgotten Realms.
Games (computer): Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft
Games (tabletop): I have DnD manuals, but not a working group ATM.
Ninjas or Pirates: Pirates

edit: put in a lot more info
Last edited by rath358 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:39 am UTC

poxic wrote:Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: Any mailing restrictions particular to your country, or to you? Do your sendings or receivings have to be approved by parents, or is there a limit to how much you can spend in shipping?

We have no mailing restrictions to or from countries, you could hypothetically get a Secret Santa from around the world! However, if you don't have $$ to spend on sending a heavy package to god-knows-were, feel free to add limits on how far you can ship, such as within country. We will try to get it as close as possible.

We don't see a need for any sort of parental approval. Anyway, how could we enforce it? :wink: I suggest not sending anything that you think might be chancy, such as chainsaws or live fish! Use your own judgment there.

We don't have a limit on shipping, but don't go broke. If you try to keep the weight down on what you send, it should stay reasonable. However, over several lbs and it can start to get somewhat expensive. Don't quote me on it though - flat rate boxes are pretty nice.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:41 am UTC

Just wanted to point out the parental permission thing, because we had a fail-to-complete in last year's Woman Thread santa exchange for exactly that reason. The participant really, really wanted to join in, but she was either shut down by her parents or couldn't face involving them. :|
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:58 am UTC

poxic wrote:Just wanted to point out the parental permission thing, because we had a fail-to-complete in last year's Woman Thread santa exchange for exactly that reason. The participant really, really wanted to join in, but she was either shut down by her parents or couldn't face involving them. :|

I'm not sure how to get around that ... There's really no way to check how old people are, so even if we said if you're under [x] age, check with parents it'd be impossible to police. Hopefully however, our younger participants will think to mention it to their parents at least, or ask permission or whatever. It probably falls under the 'are you ok with recieving packages from the internet' question.

If you are legally a minor and you're reading this: we're leaving it at your discretion, but please consider asking your parents permission or checking it's ok.
</rant>

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:46 am UTC

User Name: ThinkSweet
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Yes!
Hobbies: Reading, travel, nature walks, puzzles, occasional bursts of various crafts, surfing the fora!
Favourite colour: Purple! Also yellow. & light blues/turquoises.
Favorite xkcd comic: http://xkcd.com/303/ It's the first one I ever saw :)
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Pewter & Nickel (and basically most non-pure metals). I'm vegetarian, so please try & avoid things with gelatine etc. I eat eggs & dairy though, so that's ok.
Any other pertinent questions/comments: I'm in Australia, but it's the cooler part, so average temperature of 23-28 celsius in summer. Still, probably avoid anything particularly melty.
Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: Favourite past xmas present?

--------------------------------------------------
Shirt size - Generally Small, sometimes Med (or even more occasionally X Small) depending on their sizing system. On Threadless for example, I get Small.
Gender - Female
Wrist/neck size - Normal? I've been told on the small/narrow side. I don't have a tape measure handy though :P
Favourite past xmas present? A Giant teddy bear. It was awesome! Like a soft, furry bean bag!
Do you like tea? What kind? Yes. Well not the normal black tea. I like green & chai & good herbal teas. I also love coffee.
Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or socks? Shoe size? Yes, yes, yes & yes :) I am a Australian womens 7, not sure what that is overseas.
What movies/shows do you like? All the Joss Whedon ones, Futurama & Spaced. Luc Besson & Tim Burton Movies. (Basically, good sci-fi).
What's your musical taste? Eclectic! No really, I'm not sure what makes me like some songs & not others, but it's not genre. Although I'm not a big fan of death metal, gangsta rap or country.
Any mailing restrictions? Parental approval? No retrictions apart from usual customs stuff to Australia. I am an adult, so no parentals involved in my decision making :P
Max 'vulgarity'? Um, well hopefully nothing too extreme! But SFW with headphones is a good enough discription :)
Favourite table top games: I like some trivia games & pictionary type stuff. I don't really play much though. Not that I dislike them or anything.
Ninjas or pirates? Close call, but probably ninjas.
Last edited by ThinkSweet on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:15 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
</rant>

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:08 am UTC

User Name: semicharmed
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Yes, although SFW, please! My mailing address is currently at the school I serve at.
Hobbies: I knit and I love to read, and do word/numbers puzzles. And I cook!
Favourite colour: Blue and blue-greens.
Favorite xkcd comic: Cat proximity, because it was my first.
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Asprin, but that shouldn't be a problem
Any other pertinent questions/comments: I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer currently living & working in Ukraine. Hot summers, coooold winters, and the best pickles in the world!
In t-shirts, I wear a Women's L/XL, or a Men's S
Wrist & neck size are average, although I have tiny hands and feet.
My favourite Christmas presents are the fun, quirky unexpected ones.
I love ska music, so ska from your country (assuming outside the US) or local bands (outside of NY) would make me happy.
Max vulgarity? I'll be opening the package at home, but I'd prefer not to get something vulgar just for vulgarity's sake.
Homebaked goods? I love them, but they can't be mailed to where I am, so sadly, no.

Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: Do you like tea? What kind? Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or socks? Shoe size?
Last edited by semicharmed on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:16 am UTC

User Name: Magnanimous
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Yes! My dad's used to things like this by now.
Hobbies: Tetris, Math(shh, it's a hobby), computers
Favourite colour: Red(light or dark) or maybe black?
Favorite xkcd comic: /358/
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Nope.
I'm a 19 year-old guy, shirt size extra medium. 5'9", if it's relevant.
Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: What movies/shows do you like? (I'm a fan of Scrubs, Firefly, Doctor Who, Battlestar Galatica, The Daily Show/Colbert Report, Futurama, and the Simpsons.)

Favourite past xmas present? Um, um... probably science-y books, like Time Travel in Einstein's Universe. Or something.
Do you like tea? What kind? Yes, but I'm not well-versed in tea flavors. :|
Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or socks? Yes, preferably geeky. I've always wanted a Fourth Doctor scarf...

And I don't care a whole lot about shipping, but I'd rather not send something all the way around the world.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:30 am UTC

User Name: blue_eyedspacemonkey
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Yup!
Hobbies: Reading, cross-stitch,writing (badly), baking, general geekery, I guess?
Favourite colour: blue/purple
Favorite xkcd comic: Erm....Sporks I guess (http://xkcd.com/419/)
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: None
Any other pertinent questions/comments: I have both my earlobes pierced and a hlix/pinna piercing in my left ear. I like stripy and shiny things. And butterflies :)

Films: Erm, most sci-fi/fantasy, I guess. I'll pretty much give anything a go :P
TV: Big bang theory, stargate, star trek. Lots of BBC Wales thing (Dr. Who, Merlin).
Books:Again, most things. I love a good mystery I adore Sherlock Holmes). I like fantasy more than sci fi in books.
Wrist size: small/medium (16cm is the largest comfortable fit, about 15 is the smallest. Necklaces would be about 50cm
Gender: female, but I love both men's and ladies' accessories.
Shirt size: large (possibly XL in some measurements. Ladies shirts in general do not like my boobs/shape), Mens medium is pretty much guaranteed to fit.
Favourite past Xmas present: Boring stuff, like a bread maker and a slow cooker. I, too would like something frivolous :)
Do you like tea? What kind? Yes! Erm, I haven't tried many (Earl grey, chamomile, peppermint(not a fan), china rose), and I'm always willing to widen my tea tastes :)
Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or socks? Yes!
Last edited by blue_eyedspacemonkey on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:21 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am UTC

User Name: OBrien
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Yes, and I hope like hell whoever I get is too because I've already started planning.
Hobbies: Judo, anything involving Adrian Edmonson, anything to do with Hardcore Punk, Crust Punk or Grindcore.
Favourite colour: Olive green, does it show?
Favorite xkcd comic: Parody Week: Dinosaur Comics, I have been an advocate of "they" as a singular, gender non specific pronoun for years.
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Nothing containing lots of seafood, I'm allergic and react badly if I have too much. Stuff like pwarn crackers, or a stir-fry with oyster sauce is fine (just to give you a general idea), but anything more and my stomach can't take it.
Any other pertinent questions/comments: I'm mediun shirt size, preffer colourful clothes and woud be quite interested in reciving a present relating to a local custom, or something you'll only find in one country (unless it's something generally English, or specific to Birmingham or London, as I currently live in one, was reaised in the other and they are both in England.).
Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: Not particularly.

Answers to ther people's questions: Favourite past xmas presents are CDs and various DVDs. And a brilliant pair of headphones I once got, but I still use them.
I am a guy.
Tea is awesome, I love plain breakfast tea but Earl Grey is also the shit.
Knitted garments, such as socks hats and scarves are also awesome.
I usually buy UK medium or large for shirts, but if you'r looking for specifices, I have a 41cm (about 16 and 1/8 inch) collar and 90cm (about 35 and 1/2 inches) chest. I will measure my preffered shirt length when I have a better tape-measure.
My feet are UK size 9 (43 mainland European, 10 US).
I enjoy Firefly, any program involving Adrian Edmonson (The Comic Strip presents, Bottom, The Young ones, etc.) and Doctor Who. I don't watch much TV, so that's pretty much it.
Films I like include anything by Luc Besson, Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Robert Rodriguez, and anything that was made by Film4
I mostly listen to Hardcore punk, Crust Punk, Grindcore, Post Metal and Classic Rock / Metal. I like pretty much any kind of Classic Rock / Punk / Metal (excluding Cock-Rock), any kind of Extreme Punk (I do NOT include Emo as this, I have no problem if you like it, but it's not Etreeme Punk and it really grates on me), Classic Hip-Hop (Like Snoop Dogg or Cypress Hill), I love Frank Zappa, I enjoy Jazz but don't have much of it, Reggae of any form is much loved and old South-American Blues is one of my favourite things ever (I love JJ Cale and Canned Heat soooo much!). Most of all, though, I like to hear thing that I've never heard before, so if you have some weird, funky genre-defying stuff that you're into a persent of this would be most welcome.
I don't care about vulgarity really, one of my favourite books is Roger's Profanisaurus and as long as I enjoy a gift, I don't care how vulgar it is.
And ninjas are definitely the more badass, but pirates seem to have more fun, eg: ninjas don't get wenches. Either or really,I dont mind.
Last edited by OBrien on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:21 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:38 am UTC

User Name: Daojia
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Frankly I think it's a plus.
Hobbies: Reading/writing, Martial Arts, Music (Choral/Piano), nerdy miscellany.
Favourite colour: Green, or black
Favorite xkcd comic: http://xkcd.com/308/
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Nope
I'm a 21 y.o bloke, medium shirt size.

Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer:

What movies/shows do you like? 30 Rock, Stargate (whatever iteration), Doctor Who, How I met your Mother, QI
Favourite past xmas present? Actually, on the whole I get very uncomfortable when I get the impression that people have made a huge fuss over me. My favourite presents have been things like 2nd hand books and tea; less is more!
Do you like tea? What kind? Tea is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. English/Irish/Melbourne Breakfast are amazing.
Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or socks? Scarves are the bomb. Speaking as an Australian, a scarf for Christmas would make me unique!
What's your musical taste?

At present I'm extremely poor (student life ftw), so if possible I'd prefer local postage. But I can always get funds together so by no means freak out.
Sapere aude.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:33 am UTC

I'm tentatively interested. I participated last year and never got anything. :C
...It made more sense in my head.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:56 am UTC

User Name: Sungura
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: YES PLEASE!!
Hobbies: rabbit raising, hugs and cuddles, capoeira, karate, photography, science/neuroscience stuffs
Favourite colour: purple (lime green is good too but not ugly kill your eyes neon green i mean nice lime green)
Favorite xkcd comic: boomdeyadaboomdeyada...
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: nickel/nickel alloys
Any other pertinent questions/comments: nope

Wrist size: medium
Gender: female I can be very girly but I also pull off vests and ties and hats very well which may not be considered feminine?
Shirt size: normal unisex/'guys' on threadless is large. 'girly' threadless sizes don't even get big enough. just no. in a women department probably need xl so da boobs fit
Favourite past Xmas present: Nikon D60
Do you like tea? What kind? Yes! Teavana rules...i like green and white teas best so far
Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or socks? heck ya!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

User Name: Sokh
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Of course. Heck I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
Hobbies: Computers, Video Games (but games are expensive so please don't spend a tonne of that just cause I mentioned it) Cooking, sci fi
Favourite colour: Purple
Favorite xkcd comic: That's a tough one, but probably the ball pit one (150). There's something about growing up but growing up into what you want that always makes me smile.
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Nothing I can think of.
Any other pertinent questions/comments: 22 years old and male, Shirt size is a medium. I'll add more to this if any good questions arise from the thread.
Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: None that I can think of right now.

Normally I don't bother with Christmas too much but my Girlfriend is encouraging me to get in the spirit this year so I thought I'd give this a bash, and on that vein I'd like to be a super secret santa (sorry wasn't sure where to add that). Also I'm still not totally familiar with everyone yet so sorry in advance if you get an awful present from me :oops:

Edit:
Mailing restrictions: Just the ones that apply to the U.K.
Shirt size: M
Wrist/neck size: About 7 inches for the wrist, and around 16-16.5 inches for the neck (although I'd err on the side of caution and go for 16.5-17 inches)
Favourite Christmas gift: I've never really celebrated Christmas before so not received any presents other than little things like chocolate.
Tea: I'm normally a coffee kinda guy (Latte with a shot of vanilla omnomnom) but I recently tried some of my gf's echinacea tea and that was pretty yummy.
Woollens: Love woollen stuff and with the weather lately it could never go amiss.
Shoe size: UK 11.
Musical preference: Mostly into metal (stuff like Blind Guardian, Helloween, Dream Theater) but I listen to almost anything really.
Movies/shows: Firefly/Serenity, Fight Club, The machinist, Old war films, and I'm a sucker for comedies.
Maximum vulgarity: I live alone so go as vulgar as you like :P
Games (computer): League of Legends is my most played at the moment. Previously into Guild wars and WoW. Love the Stalker series, and pretty much any RPG. Favourite FPS's would be BFBC2 and CoD 4 (new CoDs ftl)
Games (tabletop): Never found many people to play with but for a while played a lot of blood bowl and Warhammer RP
Ninjas or Pirates: Pirates, every time.
Last edited by Sokh on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Thrin

Postby Thrin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

User Name: Thrin
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Yes!
Hobbies: general biology weirdness! I dabble in computer gaming, fond of the old classics like baldur's gate, reading fantasy and scifi, Praying to the god which inhabits the pcr machine, i like nerdy things :).
Favourite colour: Green, blue, white and red are all good, I like yellow to...
Favorite xkcd comic: Dilution
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Wheat, milk, potatoes, soya... probably best not to send anything edible
Any other pertinent questions/comments: I would prefer to send to people in the UK, but this is not vital.
Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: (This is a good idea if there's something particular you need to know about your recipient, because asking them directly is a bit of a give away)

Male
T-shirt size tends to be somewhere between small and medium, medium probably best.
Favourite past xmas present? Ipod
Do you like tea? What kind? I quite like some fruity teas, although my better half is likely to loot them on sight
Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or socks? Shoe size? Hats and gloves are cool, never worn a scarf, but guess I could try it out, shoe size is UK size 10-11 which is European 44-45
What movies/shows do you like? Comedy or Scifi, I'm also a sucker for Pixar like movies, they warm the child in me :)
What's your musical taste? I guess rock, classical, some pop, pretty dull musically.

Edit, will PM details later today when I get the exact address for where i will be over xmass.

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

User Name: llamanaru
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Yup
Hobbies: Typing random things into a Linux terminal to find random programs in the apt repository. Cycling. Coding. Sleeping. Annoying grammar nerds. Collecting pretty textiles.
Favourite colour: Purple
Favorite xkcd comic: Spirit
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: None from the question, allergic to platypi (pltypusses?) though.
Any other pertinent questions/comments: No
Questions for the other participants: What's the max vulgarity (for lack of a better word) of your gift? For instance, I'm good if the gift is SFW with headphones.
---Others' questions---
Shows and movies: I like the Big Bang Theory, Dr. Who, South Park and Law and Order.
Tea: I love tea, but I haven't tried enough different kinds to know what I like. Except Te Duran from Panama. That stuff is incredible.
Extremity covers: I'm set on gloves, hats and scarves, socks are always good though. Shoes are size 12 US.\
Favorite Past Xmas Present: They called it "Issac Asimov, the complete set" but it was essentially a bookshelf full of stuff with Issac's name on it from like 20 different people.
Wrist circumference: 17 cm
Neck circumference: wonderfully 42 cm
Shirt: XL men's
No mailing restrictions.
Music Tastes: Classic/60-70's Psychedelic rock (Pink Floyd, Hendrix (Though I already have all their studio stuff and plenty of live bootlegs)), 90-00's Rock/Metal(Tool, Tom Morello regardless of band, generally stuff with good instrumentals or good lyrics, preferably both).
Favorite Tabletop Game: Scotland Yard
Favorite Computer Game: Starcaft 2
Ninjas or Pirates: Ninjas
Home made things: Great!
Last edited by llamanaru on Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:41 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

I am quite excited. I once participated in a postcard exchange which was super fun. I'm hoping this will be just as good! It seems really weird to me that Christmas and December and such are so so close!

<3 I am exite. I already have like 100 * 10 ^ bazillion good ideas, most of which are infeasible! But fun!

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

I have to get in on this!

User Name: Mavketl
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Hells yeah!
Hobbies: Reading, games (table top) and computery stuff (including games :P), though I'm trying to get back into baking and crafty things a bit more (home-made Christmas cards, I made some clay keychains recently, etc). More below
Favourite colour: Rainbow :D
Favorite xkcd comic: 386
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: No allergies that I know of, except a minor hayfever but I don't think you'll be sending me an entire meadow or forest, so that should be alright. Earrings are not a good idea since I don't have pierced ears.

Any other pertinent questions/comments: (I'm skimming the thread and going with what information other people are asking for or volunteering.)

Shirt size: women's S
Wrist & neck size: I'm tiny.
Do you like tea? Yes! What kind? Surprise me! I like trying out new kinds.
Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or socks? Yes, though I already have an awesome scarf so I would be much happier with one of the others.
Shoe size? 38/39 European, which according to the internet is women's 5,5 in the UK, women's 8 in the USA and Canada, and Women's 6,5 in Australia.
Musical taste? Metal (Disturbed and Sonata Arctica are my recent favourites), punkrock (Less Than Jake, Bad Religion, Millencolin), ska (Reel Big Fish, The Slackers), and tons of miscellaneous calmer stuff (Fish/Marillion, Damien Rice, Paolo Conte, Peter Fox). The bands I'm mentioning are just examples of how I interpret the genres, of course.
What movies/shows do you like? Firefly, Dr. Horrible, Buffy (though not Angel so much), anything with Ellen Page, anything with James May, anything with Felicia Day, anything with Nathan Fillion, Bones, Doctor Who (and Torchwood), Heroes (first few seasons anyway), Battlestar Galactica, Huge, Glee, Dollhouse, Castle (awful mystery plots, awesome leads).
What's the max vulgarity (for lack of a better word) of your gift? I don't mind swearing or vulgar imagery in itself, as long as it's functional/clever and not just bodyparts for the sake of having a cock-shaped USB stick, if you catch my drift.
Favourite games, computer: Team Fortress 2, League of Legends, Plants vs Zombies, Minesweeper. I'm generally not into FPS games because I suck at them and they're often kind of boring.
Favourite games, table top: I like cooperative games (where you have to beat the game instead of each other, like the Lord of the Rings boardgame or Pandemic or Ghost Stories), but also elaborate boardgames which take an hour to understand the first time you play them and card games that have relatively simple rules but still encourage strategic thinking (like Taipan/Tichu or Dominion). "Silly" games are fine as long as they're not 100% luck.

Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: What is your favourite kind of table top games (if any)?
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:06 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:I'm tentatively interested. I participated last year and never got anything. :C

I didn't get anything last year either, but I really loved the idea and I had heaps of fun putting together my present for Spacemilk, so I'm doing it again. There's never a 100% guarantee I guess, but I'd encourage you to have another go this year. We really will try & make sure everyone gets something :)
</rant>

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:39 am UTC

User Name: Nehpest
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: I would be honored.
Hobbies: Reading; bike riding; singing, writing and performing music; these fora; math and logic games/puzzles.
Favorite color: Really vibrant shades of blue.
Favorite xkcd comic: If I had to pick one, maybe 368? I enjoy black hat guy, and I enjoy the ones that have become posters. Really, they've almost all been winners in my book; that's why I keep coming back.
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: None! I'm not pierced, so earrings may not be used very often. I had a mild case of hayfever one spring a few years ago, but it hasn't returned.
    Shirt size: US Men's Large
    Wrist & neck size: My collar is 16 inches. My wrists are... about 7.5 inches; my fist is about 9 inches.
    Favorite xmas gift: My parents bought me "The Physics of Star Trek" one year, and it knocked my socks off.
    Do you like tea? Yes! What kind? Earl Grey is as a god unto me; English breakfast is surely His son. That said, I'm all about new flavors!
    Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or socks? I do! I live in Southern California (I don't know why we always capitalize that S, though) so heavy winter gear may not get much use.
    Shoe size? My new loafers are US Men's 10.5. My sneakers are US Men's 11.
    Musical taste? I particularly dig classical, choral, and opera, but I can get down to R&B, soul, jazz, big band, metal, rock (I love me some Beatles and Queen), and just about anything else.
    What movies/shows do you like? Star Trek, Star Wars, Futurama, Family Guy. I have an affinity for sci-fi, of course. Oh, and I love Kat Williams' stand-up comedy, and movies like Friday/Next Friday/Friday After Next.
    What's the max vulgarity (for lack of a better word) of your gift? NSFW is fine, but as somebody else mentioned, clever is preferred to a penis for its own sake.
    Favorite games, computer: Regrettably, I don't play many computer games, but I've enjoyed playing the free version of Minecraft, and I used to love playing Descent back in the day. Flight sims are wonderfully fun, too.
    Favorite games, table top: Scrabble, Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, things that involve guessing based on my partner's actions.

Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: Ninjas or pirates?
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

User Name: JoeyJo0
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Hells yeah.
Hobbies: Computerthings, Programming, Collecting minerals and coins, play guitar/keyboard
Favourite colour: I have no idea... Black?
Favorite xkcd comic: I don't know. Most of them are great.
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Nope.

Shirt size: US Men's Large
Favorite xmas gift: A new computer :)
Do you like tea? Yes! Earl Grey!
Do you like gloves or hats or scarves or socks? Yep. Except the socks...
Musical taste? Metal. My favorite bands are Dream Theater and Sonata Arctica. I do enjoy some jazz too.
What movies/shows do you like? Almost anything on Comedy Central pleases me. I'm a whore for comedy. Also, Dr. Horrible ;3
What's the max vulgarity (for lack of a better word) of your gift? Prefer no vulgarity, seeing as I still live with parents that open my mail >.<
Favorite games, computer: Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, GMOD
Favorite books: Discword series, Wheel of Time series, stuff by Stephen king, 'Stranger in a Strange land' by R. Heinlein, stuff by Douglas Adams, 'Dune' by F. Herbert.

Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer:
Nope...
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

mmark9094

Postby mmark9094 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:15 am UTC

I know I'm not able to participate, but I have to say, this sounds fun. I don't know how you guys manage all of it, but best of luck to ya.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:53 am UTC

User Name: PatrickRsGhost
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Yes
Hobbies: Computer games, paranormal/supernatural, ghost hunting, reading, movies, mythology, classic cartoons (classic as in 1930s thru 1950s)
Favourite colour: Black, green, or dark blue
Favorite xkcd comic: Can't think of one
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Penicillin; not sure if allergic to otters or ducks. Never been around them long enough to find out.
Any other pertinent questions/comments: Shirt size is XXXL or larger. Already have a few books and/or DVDs dedicated to some of my interests/hobbies. Gift certs to online sites (preferably Amazon) would be fine, or homemade goodies. Or, if you'd rather, something that's unique to your hometown/area, like a book that discusses haunted sites in your area.
Any question(s) you'd like other participants to answer: (This is a good idea if there's something particular you need to know about your recipient, because asking them directly is a bit of a give away) Would you mind receiving homemade goodies? Will more than likely send cookies. Trust me, you'll love 'em.
PRG

An important message for you:

silent man

Postby silent man » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:08 pm UTC

User Name: silent man
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: My neighbours already know I'm crazy, so sure.
Hobbies:Reading (mostly SF), maille, tabletop role-playing
Favourite colour: Blue
Favorite xkcd comic: http://xkcd.com/556/
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: none

Tea: Tea is good. Loose leaf tea is great.
Sizes:
Clothing:
Men's medium.
Shoes: Euro 42
Wrist: ~18cm
Neck: ~39cm
Movies/TV: There are a lot of old SF I would like to see. Also, Firefly/Serenity was nice.
Music: I currently enjoy Flogging Molly, the Wise Guys and the various projects by Arjen Lucassen.
NSFW Level: Swearing/obscenity for its own sake won't be appreciated, other than that, 'most anything goes.
Favourite computer game: Portal.
Favourite Tabletop Game: I'm going to enjoy GMing Paranoia. The Computer says so. Also, I'll be running Shadowrun 4.01 starting next week.
Gloves/Hats/scarves/Socks: Muted colours, please. I dislike wearing brightly coloured or too colourful items outside.
Home-made food: Will be highly appreciated, but don't send too much.
Favourite Books: H2G2, Discworld, SF in general and lately Larry Niven and Frederic Pohl in patricular.

I would also be willing to act as a back-up Santa.
Last edited by silent man on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Two9A

Postby Two9A » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

Mornin'. This went pretty well last year, I thought, so I'll partake once again.

Username: Two9A
Okay with receiving packages marked From The Internet: Sure.
Hobbies: Reading (sci-fi mainly); writing (sci-fi exclusively); electronics; crazy low-level computing.
Favourite colour: Blue or dark green, probably.
Favourite xkcd: Probably #627.
Food/jewellery/duck/otter allergies: I wouldn't recommend sending chocolate, since my PITA dentist has banned any contact with it.

Mailing restrictions: Only those that apply to the UK in general.
Shirt size: XXL
Wrist/neck size: Maybe 7in, and 18in.
Favourite Christmas gift: Probably a copy of the Silmarillion, hardback, that I got a few years back.
Tea: Ooh, I do enjoy a good cuppa; cheapest teabags I can find, being the miserly sod I am.
Woollens: Since the ridiculous temperatures of last Winter, I can always do with more hats/scarves.
Shoe size: UK 9; no idea what that comes out to in US.
Musical preference: Historically, I've been a trance man, but I've got good chunks of rock/metal and tracts of classical.
Movies/shows: Star*, basically (Gate, Trek, Wars), and other sci-fi; I've never watched Babylon 5, surprisingly.
Maximum vulgarity: Try to keep it clean, and subtle if not clean.
Games (computer): Been a long time since I had time for them, but your basic platform adventure always draws me in (Mario64, Ratchet/Clank, Banjo Kazooie).
Games (tabletop): Never been big on tabletop. Being a sci-fi nerd, I'd expect myself to enjoy D&D, but I don't.
Ninjas or Pirates: Ninjas every time; those katanas can cut a pirate clean in half.
The Unofficial "Making xkcd Slightly Worse" Archive [Incomplete]: xkcdsw.com
Articles that fall out of my head about once a month: imrannazar.com

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:23 am UTC

Just a reminder, anyone who wants to take part can still sign up for the next day and a half or so. There's still time!
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:16 am UTC

Hopefully I'm not too late!

Username: Wolf
Okay with receiving packages marked From The Internet: Definitely!
Hobbies: Computer games, reading books (sci-fi and fantasy, mostly), drawing, writing, D&D/Tabletop
Favourite colour: Dark green, no doubt.
Favourite xkcd: Off the top of my head, probably "success": http://xkcd.com/349/, although I'm sure I"m forgetting a good one.
Food/jewellery/duck/otter allergies: I might be allergic to bees. So please don't send me bees. :P

Mailing restrictions: Just the ones that apply to the U.S. I'd ask you send it standard post, though (no UPS or anything), as I'm going to be in and out of the place with my mailing address over break and can't reliably be there to sign for anything.
Shirt size: L
Wrist/neck size: About 7 inches for the wrist, and around 16-16.5 inches for the neck (although I'd err on the side of caution and go for 16.5-17 inches)
Favourite Christmas gift: A fleece blanket with my favorite animal (a wolf) on it that my friends all pitched in together to get me a few years back.
Tea: Is pretty yummy! I don't have a particular tea I'm partial to, though. I also drink coffee often, if that matters/helps.
Woollens: I do love scarves/hats/gloves and fully approve of them. Even if I do live in Southern California at the moment.
Shoe size: US 10.5 to 11.
Musical preference: Indie stuff (think Iron and Wine, Postal Service, The xx, The Blow). Also a huge fan of chillout music.
Movies/shows: Stargate (the TV series. . .es), Star Trek (TNG and Voyager), Firefly/Serenity, The Matrix, Casablanca, Roman Holiday
Maximum vulgarity: Keep the outside of the package clean, and if the contents are vulgar leave a note at the top of the package so I'm sure not to open it in front of my parents or something.
Games (computer): Mass Effect 1/2, Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher, Left 4 Dead, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Games (tabletop): D&D (2nd edition with home rules!), The Dresden Files RPG
Ninjas or Pirates: Ninjas, although I'm tired of both. (Blasphemy, I'm sure.)
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:46 am UTC

OK, randomization and PMs will be happening fairly shortly

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:OK, randomization and PMs will be happening fairly shortly

its been a few days...
did I miss a PM, or are they still not out?

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:30 pm UTC

I haven't gotten a PM either, so I assume they're not out yet.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:38 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I haven't gotten a PM either, so I assume they're not out yet.

That would be correct. Randomization is actually happening as I type this* so it's just a matter of composing a couple dozen PMs and getting them sent. I'll update the OP once all of them have been sent, so we can confirm that everyone who should have got a PM (ie, everyone) did.

*Actually, appears to be done now

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Oh my goodness! I just finished writing out and sending everyone a PM titled XKCD Secret Santa (or possibly just Secret Santa) to everyone who is involved! If you have not yet received your PM with the forum handle, name, and address of the person you will send to, give it a few hours. It is quite possibly in the 16 outgoing messages I have, haha.

If you still haven't received it by tomorrow, November 24th, then by all means send me a PM and I will get back to you as fast as possible. Sorry for the delay!

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:41 am UTC

Woo! I got my PM :D I'm so excited, I've been planning for this all week.
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:22 pm UTC

w00t, got my PM. Been looking forward to this, now time to stalk posts and plan what to buy ^^

Also updated my post from earlier to add more questions/answers.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:33 am UTC

OK just got the PM tonight, so the gift has been shipped out. Not what I had hoped to send out, but hope they'll still like it just the same.
PRG

An important message for you:

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:37 am UTC

Got the PM! Stay frosty.
Sapere aude.

Return to “General”