XKCD Fora Secret Santa Gift Exchange: 2010

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Re: XKCD Fora Secret Santa Gift Exchange: 2010

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Oh yeah, US-->Germany. I wasn't thinking about that. I even had a flight canceled because of the snow and had to find an alternate route back home, so I don't know how that slipped my mind.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:08 pm UTC

I hope my gift gets there eventually... I'm guessing/hoping snow and customs are providing a pretty big delay.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:21 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I hope my gift gets there eventually... I'm guessing/hoping snow and customs are providing a pretty big delay.

Same here. One of my recipients said he got his package, but I don't know if he's opened it yet; the other hasn't said anything yet. Fingers crossed it's just stuck in customs...
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Oh... So, I sort of forgot to post this...
Spoiler:
IMAG0395.jpg
xkcds written out on the wrapping paper!

IMAG0396.jpg
Awesome looking books!

IMAG0397.jpg
Another book!

A pretty awesome present! thank you very much!

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:16 pm UTC

Glad you liked it, rath! I thought the double book was a neat idea - its efficiency appealed to my sense of geekery.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:55 am UTC

Present received! Will post the pictures I took when I get back to my place tomorrow and have a little downtime where I'm not exhausted.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Thrin

Postby Thrin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

I have yet to recieve a santa gift :( If my secret santa could let the organisers know if it is stuck in the post or whatever that would be great, if nothing has been sent yet, then I would like to change the address. Happy New Year!

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:14 am UTC

Just got mine now!

Extremely cool, completely made my day. Many thanks!
Sapere aude.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:36 am UTC

Daojia wrote:Just got mine now!

Extremely cool, completely made my day. Many thanks!

Huzzah! I hope you enjoy it down there in upside-down land ;)

blag

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:50 am UTC

My gift got here last week - sorry for not posting straight away! I am trying to get the photos off my phone, but I've lost it's USB cable :(

Anyway, until then I'll just say it arrived, & I love it! So thanks rath358 :) Pictures to come!
</rant>

Thrin

Postby Thrin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

Woohoo! My secret santa gift has arrived! I won't be able to post pics till sunday, when I can go pick it up. Quite excited at my little second xmass, no idea what the package even looks like yet. Many thanks to my secret santa.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

Thrin wrote:Woohoo! My secret santa gift has arrived! I won't be able to post pics till sunday, when I can go pick it up. Quite excited at my little second xmass, no idea what the package even looks like yet. Many thanks to my secret santa.
Change 'Sunday' to 'Tomorrow' and this happened to me today :D
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:09 pm UTC

I think that everyone has now received their Secret Santa Gift! If you haven't yet, let me know.

YAY for a successful 2010 Secret Santa Exchange!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

So, I got home to a parcel. Inside were three packages (I apologise for the crappy quality of the photos) :
Spoiler:
Photo Jan 14, 18 03 44.jpg
Parcels

Inside there were: Tea, cross stitch patterns, and some awesome xkcd gloves :D

Spoiler:
Photo Jan 14, 18 03 56.jpg
Tea, which I will try tonight
Photo Jan 14, 18 04 10.jpg
Patterns
Photo Jan 14, 18 03 29.jpg
Me modelling a glove in my work uniform

Thank you, Semicharmed!
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:40 am UTC

Glad they arrived, blue_eyed_spacemonkey - between the massive snow storms and the late sending date, they're more of a "merry middle-of-January" gift. Hope you liked the tea!

Annnnnd, after quite a merry scavenger hunt* yesterday, I had a package! Filled with yarn, and an awesome ice cube tray, and a sweet postcard.
Spoiler:
P1020148.JPG
Goodies!

Thanks, Magnaminous! And I think the package got here around the 4th or 5th, but I was traveling from the 3-13th.

*Scavenger hunt details, for the curious.
Spoiler:
So I'm living and working in a small village in Western Ukraine, as a Peace Corps Volunteer. All my mail gets delivered to the school I work at, but packages are held at the post office until they're signed for. But sometimes - especially when I'm travelling - my neighbors will collect my mail from the school and hold onto it until I get back home.
So when I went to the PO yesterday, the clerks told me I had a package, but since I wasn't home, they gave it to my neighbour, Maria.
But this is Ukraine, and 2 of my neighbours (that I know of!) are named Maria. Struck out at the first Maria's, but I was invited in to celebrate Old New Year's and a birthday. So after being plied with food and drink, I struck out for the second Maria. No luck there, but when I explained about the package, she said, "oh, that's THAT Maria" as she points across the road. So after sitting and visiting, and looking at photos, we set off together for the correct Maria. Who did indeed have a box for me.

Thrin

Postby Thrin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:46 pm UTC

Got my present now, pics to follow :) A really cool sci fi book with a very thoughtful message written inside :) wrapped up in my favourite comic. Much love to you secret santa x

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

I got silents package today! Pictures to come once I dig up my camera but even the packaging is cool as hell. The whole thing is in German, I'm so keeping it.

I got some super-tasty cookies, a bad ass chainmaile box (with my initials on it! in my favorite colors! I squee'd hard) and two books. Endgame by Andy Secombe and Life by Richard Fortey.

Thank you thank you thank you silentman!
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

silent man

Postby silent man » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:49 pm UTC

If you like Endgame, you should also read The last house in the Galaxy. It is more Hitchhiker's-Guide-like (It has rodent-looking aliens, a rather loose connection to common sense and people being very British about everything. Also, a neurotic planet and a brain in a jar running a homicidal amusement park.) and it was my original choice for your gift, but I could not get a copy in time.

Also, I apologize about the rather sucky latch on the box: I was way past the deadline and entirely out of clever ideas.

Return to “General”