When I was 5 years old, I wanted to be a farmer.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

une see
Is my girl

When I was 5 years old, I wanted to be a farmer.

Postby une see » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:44 am UTC

So I got inspired by this thread, and I decided to make another thread about what you wanted to do in life when you were really little. So, I'll start off:

I wanted to be a farmer, an astronaut, a janitor, an ice cream woman, a horse (um...yeah), a pop star, a barber, a model, a chemist, a T-shirt maker, a seller of gum, a clothes designer, a basketball player, an actress, a chimney sweep, a teacher, and a trumpet player.

These are all I can remember, but I'm sure I had more professions that I was interested in when I was little, since I changed my mind a lot back then. Those were the days...

And also, did anyone actually become what they wanted to become as a little kid?

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:54 am UTC

First, I watched a lot of Doogie Howser, so I wanted to be a doctor.

Then, I watched a lot of Matlock, so I wanted to be a lawyer.

Then, I really liked computers, so I wanted to be a computer programmer.

Then, I really liked band, so I wanted to be a music teacher.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:58 am UTC

I had such a strange perception of the world when I was really little, I'm not sure I wanted to be anything. On a first grade project I filled in the blank with "artist" but that wasn't really true. Mostly I remember wanting to do magic, wanting to control people and things.

Klye

Postby Klye » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:59 am UTC

Paleintologist(sp?)
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

Teshi

Postby Teshi » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:01 am UTC

I wanted to be a teacher, a nurse (all the girls wanted to be one. It was cool.), and a cub-scout leader.

EDIT: Oh, people are going way beyond when they were five. So I better, too, or come off looking like I had no aspirations.

For a long time, I wanted to be an Architect. I designed many, many, many houses.

Then I didn't know what I wanted to be, so I went to university. <-- hyperbole.
Last edited by Teshi on Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:02 am UTC

When I was 6 or so, I started learning a little about how the brain worked (on a basic level, of course), and I liked listening to people and helping them, so I wanted to be a psychologist.

Then I learned about ancient Egypt, and I really really really wanted to be an Egyptologist. I think that was from about age 7-12. I still have all my books on Egypt, somewhere....

Then when I was 8 or 9, I learned how to weave. Then my family and I went down to Mexico for something, and I stayed in a rug store and watched a Mexican woman working a loom, making a beautiful rug. I figured out how to weave patterns from her, and decided that I wanted to own a rug store. Then I fell out of that phase and back in Egyptology.

In high school through my first year in college, I went back to the idea of being a psychologist.

Then, I decided that I should be a astrophysicist because I love astronomy so much.

(Then I realized I was really bad at it.) I was studying drama then, and dreamed of working with Viewpoints. I also wanted to become a professional Lindy Hop instructor/performer.

Then I figured that I should have a back up plan...and went back to psychology.

And hopefully, I'll be getting my Masters in Health Psychology this fall. :)
Last edited by Lani on Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Bondolon

Postby Bondolon » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:02 am UTC

I've always been a pretty depressed kind of guy, so when I was young I wanted to be a comedian so that people would be happy.

UnidentifiedFlyingCupcake

Postby UnidentifiedFlyingCupcake » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:04 am UTC

For a couple of years I wanted to be a paleontologist (that was when I was three until the end of kindergarten or so, I think). Then I wanted to be a lawyer (dad's a corporate litigator--not a snake, though, I promise) and then for a very brief period a singer; then, for several years I wanted to be a writer, fluctuating from journalist to novelist to poet and around and around again. Now I've been fairly settled on high school English teacher for a few years.
Silly things do cease to be silly when they are done by sensible people in an impudent manner. ~Jane Austen, Emma
If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. ~Oscar Wilde

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:13 am UTC

Haha, I'm surprised no one's said anything like police officer, fire fighter, or president of the US.

First thing I can remember was a brief interest in being a fire fighter. Then I stopped caring for a while. Then I got REALLY big into dinosaurs and so wanted to be an archaeologist or paleontologist. Then I stopped caring about that and fell in love with space, so I wanted to be an astronaut. After that, I stopped caring for a long time.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:15 am UTC

i never gave a thought to this "growing up" business... which is probably why i'm 24 and just now getting serious about college, choosing a major, and so forth. When i was little i was content to be little, and take life as it came.

jokes on me eh? LIFE IS HERE AND ITS GOT A BASEBALL BAT. :shock:

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:56 am UTC

A pilot. The first thing I can remember wanting to be when I grew up. It lasted for my entire childhood, all through grade school, high school, and still today.

Unfortunately, I'm colorblind, and you can't be a professional or military pilot if you're colorblind.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:02 am UTC

I remember going through all the usual "policewoman" and "firefighter" stages when I was really little. When I saw Strictly Ballroom, I wanted to be a ballroom dancer. In highschool I wanted to be a Forensic Scientist, but I decided I didn't want to do all the chemistry, but my favorite TV show is now CSI: Las Vegas, so part of me still wants that.

Now, I want to be an author when I "grow up". Yes, I'm (almost) 26, but I don't think I'm done with the "getting enough experience to forge my own way in life" thing yet.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:06 am UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:"policewoman"

Wait, you're a woman? I thought you were a guy that everyone thought was a girl, but is actually a guy? I'm so confused!
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:10 am UTC

Okay, that offically makes... 5 instances of people exclaiming in some thread or another "wait, you're a woman?!"

I have the title and everything! :shock:

My self-esteem is now sobbing in the corner, I'm going to go comfort it.
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:12 am UTC

No, I thought you were a girl, but your title says male, not female so I thought I was wrong....! Ahh! Too confusing.
- Lani

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:12 am UTC

Like most little boys, I went through an astronaut phase. I even went to space camp one year. It's a lot of fun, I recommend it to any 9 year olds out there.

Like Lani, I went through an egyptology phase, but then realized I was really more interested in reading about it than actually digging it up.

Later, Marine Biology. I really liked the ocean and the stuff that lives in it. Still do.

Huh. Maybe I could still do that.

::scratches his head. Wanders off::
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Bondolon

Postby Bondolon » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:13 am UTC

lani wrote:No, I thought you were a girl, but your title says male, not female so I thought I was wrong....! Ahh! Too confusing.

the ! means "not", so !male is "not male" :D

MurdocRocks

Postby MurdocRocks » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:13 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:A pilot. The first thing I can remember wanting to be when I grew up. It lasted for my entire childhood, all through grade school, high school, and still today.

Unfortunately, I'm colorblind, and you can't be a professional or military pilot if you're colorblind.

I have a friend in the exact same situation, not much to say other than I hope you find another dream... or figure out how to make your eyes see colors (one might be a little easier).

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:28 am UTC

Bondolon wrote:
lani wrote:No, I thought you were a girl, but your title says male, not female so I thought I was wrong....! Ahh! Too confusing.

the ! means "not", so !male is "not male" :D

Well then...learn something new everyday. :)
- Lani

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:29 am UTC

MurdocRocks wrote:
Swordfish wrote:A pilot. The first thing I can remember wanting to be when I grew up. It lasted for my entire childhood, all through grade school, high school, and still today.

I have a friend in the exact same situation, not much to say other than I hope you find another dream... or figure out how to make your eyes see colors (one might be a little easier).

Meteorology has proven to be a more than capable second calling for me (suppose it keeps my head in the clouds *rimshot*). I can still get a private pilot license, but I had always had my heart set on being an Air Force or Navy pilot.

Even when it was brought to my attention that I couldn't be a pilot, I stilled tried for an Air Force ROTC scholarship for Meteorology. Come the interview I was skirting around the question of "Why do you want to go into the Air Force, and not be a pilot?" I didn't exactly want to volunteer the fact that I was colorblind because I wasn't sure if they would take it into consideration should they have been really picky about who got scholarships.

Eventually I told him I was colorblind (it would have come out in the physical anyway), and it turns out that you can't be a weather officer if your colorblind, so no Air Force for me.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:30 am UTC

Ouch. :(
Linguistic Anarchist

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:37 am UTC

Ok im still growing up so still have ideas
astronomer/astronaut
mathemetician
architect
psychologist/something with neurology
comedian/songwriter (more dreams than goals/career)

that post has the highest letters to slashes ration
=]

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:37 am UTC

Usual policeman fireman astronaut stuff.

I remember wanting to be an Architect, game programmer, President, doctor.

I never really knew what an engineer does (most people don't) but if I had known, I'm sure I would have wanted to become one. Thus, I think I'm achieving my dream job.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:03 am UTC

Here are things I wanted to be in chronological order:
Fireman
Policeman
Paleantologist
Physicist
Chemist
Astronaut
Praying Mantis
Deinonychus
Writer

Fast forward to now:
Engineering, Hard Science, or math.

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:13 am UTC

I wanted to be lots of things... most notably a stage actress until I discovered that they werent ever going to give me any good parts because im a really horrible singer and you know.. most stage productions when your a kid feature songs very heavily cos none of the kids can act anyway.
I also wanted to be a tree photographer when I was little because I love how trees look. Big trees and small trees.. I just knew I could photograph them and make them look as awesome as I saw them.. but then I discovered thats not actually a profession.. sadly.. more of a hobby.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:28 am UTC

Now I feel bad because most of the people in this thread wanted to go into a normal career, while I wanted to be a horse. Man.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:30 am UTC

The first thing I wanted to be was a computer programmer.

It wasn't until later that I decided I wanted to be the greatest rock star bass clarinettist ever to rock the bass clarinet.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:32 am UTC

une see wrote:Now I feel bad because most of the people in this thread wanted to go into a normal career, while I wanted to be a horse. Man.

Actually if you notice my job list there were two choices along that line:

Deinonychus and praying mantis.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:33 am UTC

Marbas wrote:
une see wrote:Now I feel bad because most of the people in this thread wanted to go into a normal career, while I wanted to be a horse. Man.

Oh, I didn't see that...*high-fives Marbas*

Yeah, we're cool.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:34 am UTC

une see wrote:
Marbas wrote:

Oh, I didn't see that...*high-fives Marbas*

Yeah, we're cool.

Oh yeah!

Let's go out and be... not human...

Erm...
Wahoo?

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:38 am UTC

Y'all could always be furries.

Professional furries!

It might ruin it for you as a hobby, I s'pose, like anything else...
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:39 am UTC

aldimond wrote:Y'all could always be furries.

Professional furries!

It might ruin it for you as a hobby, I s'pose, like anything else...

Furries scare me. Well...furverts scare me. I have two friends along this line.
One is a furry and one is furvert. Needless to say the furry hates the furvert.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:46 am UTC

Given my avatar/title all but a few people that have been here a while and have disturbingly good memories would probably believe me if I said I was a furry, but my knowledge of fur-related stuff is limited to what I've learned from Diesel Sweeties.

Hm. I could be a meta-furry. Pose as a furry on the Internet. That's not really quite meta-furrying so much as it's just being a dumbass. Which is what I'm paid for here. Yes.
Last edited by aldimond on Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:46 am UTC

...this brings to mind some show I saw about weird fetishes. "Horseplay." This is where people dress up and behave like horses. I cannot describe the extents to which they go, as such information crosses the line of what is acceptable, then defecates on said line. Twice.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Enid

Postby Enid » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:01 am UTC

I always really wanted to be an astronaut but I was always a depressingly cynical little kid and would normally tell people I wanted to be a teacher. I really, really want this t-shirt. (Third shirt down.)

Then for awhile I really did want to be a teacher and write in my spare time.

Then I discovered I don't really like kids that much. (Well, I like some of them, in small groups.) Also that my writing sucked and I didn't particularly feel motivated to make it better. People always just assumed that since I read a lot I should be a writer.

For a bit I desperately wanted to be a singer/bassist in a band. But I have stage fright, so that died.

Now I want to either become a librarian or a chef or possibly both and create a moderately successful webcomic in my spare time. I am working actively towards all those goals and am actually pretty satisfied with 'em.

...I did go throught a phase when I was little when I wanted to be a cat and insisted on eating out of bowl using only my mouth and crawling around meowing. I think that's fairly normal though. Right?

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:07 am UTC

I wanted to be a theoretical physicist.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:12 am UTC

I think something involving flying has played a part in just about every career aspiration I've had since I was a kid. I don't know why. Being an astronaut obviously made a rather lengthy appearance (and I still haven't ruled it out), as did being either a military or commercial pilot. The idea of being an aircraft engineer of some description came about during high school, and it seemed like the most logical option given that I couldn't afford flight training and I was too much of a weakling to go to ADFA. ;)

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:49 am UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:Okay, that offically makes... 5 instances of people exclaiming in some thread or another "wait, you're a woman?!"

I have the title and everything! :shock:

My self-esteem is now sobbing in the corner, I'm going to go comfort it.

Wait, you're a woman?!

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

*comforts SilverWolfe*
I think I used to have a porpoise; then again, that might have been a dream. | Eternal life comes to those who wait
Never forget how the brave Tenzing Norgay outsmarted the evil Edmund Hillary

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:07 am UTC

In other news, the one of the most entertaining moments of my final year of high school was (unsuccessfully) trying to convince these two girls in the grade below me that I wanted to be a pony when I grew up.

Around when I was 8 I decided I wanted to work in the games industry. Now, - twelve years later - I do.
I think I used to have a porpoise; then again, that might have been a dream. | Eternal life comes to those who wait
Never forget how the brave Tenzing Norgay outsmarted the evil Edmund Hillary

anotherangel

Postby anotherangel » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:24 am UTC

I wanted to be a Jedi Master.

Then a teacher.

Then a pilot.

Then both. So I could fly the plane, jump out as it was landing and run into the school.

Return to “General”