How'd you come up with your username(s)?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

chrispy1

How'd you come up with your username(s)?

Postby chrispy1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:39 am UTC

Mine comes from the fact that my first name is Chris, and my last name starts with a B. Chris-b.

Ok, that's not entirely true. Real reason is that I suck at video games, and friends would love playing with me 'cause they'd always be able to kick my ass. One game we were playing (some army game, can't remember the name) had us on the same side. One of my buddies turns his flamethrower onto me, and my character got burnt huge - he laughed and laughed, and says "Hey, now you're crispy....wait a sec, you are now known as Chrispy!". Damn him and his wit (or lack thereof).
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:42 am UTC

When I was like third firm I was playing trombone at a camp with some form 1s and 2s in it, and my spitvalve was leaky. This disturbed some of the girls, and the nickname came thence. It lasted for maybe a year or two after that, but I still use it as an online nick.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:44 am UTC

It's a long story, so rather than go through the whole thing, follow this link and read "the evolution of a name" (and boost my blag hits while you're at it).

I'm still waiting to be "dubbed" something by ... anyone. I've only ever been given unfavourable nicks by mean kids at school.

I think the only one I didn't mention in that link was that I tried Raven as part of a Halfling rogue, who also had the nickname Pockets, but that game never actually started, so it doesn't really count.

EDIT: *rubs hands together with glee* I love stories about nicks, don't know why, but I know I'll love this thread.
Last edited by GhostWolfe on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:44 am UTC

I work in an abattoir.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:45 am UTC

When my dad was signing up for AOL (this is in the era of AOL 2.0; for a while we had AOL and Compuserve simultaneously; I think it was $9.99 a month for non-unlimited access; just to set the stage of how long ago this was), both Evan and EvanD were taken, so he chose EvanED as my login name.

I'm lazy, so I use it essentially everywhere.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:51 am UTC

Inspired by Battlebots.

What? Seriously.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:53 am UTC

When I was about 13/14, and first signed up for the internet, James was taken. I tried Jimbo which was also gone so then tested various prefixs until I found one that wasn't taken. Now I'm stuck with the fact that the 13 year old me thought that having 'crazy' in one's nickname was a good idea. :(

EDIT: I also regret not signing up to this forum with a capitalised nickname.
Last edited by crazyjimbo on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:56 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:54 am UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:Inspired by Battlebots.

That's one question answered. And yes, Battlebots were cool (or so I told myself....)

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:58 am UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:Now I'm stuck with the fact that the 13 year old me thought that having 'crazy' in one's nickname was a good idea. :(

But how are we supposed to know you're crazy?

*hugs* crazyjimbo is a cool nick.
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:59 am UTC

In the 7th grade, I decided I needed a name for a D&D character. Of course, having no clue where to turn, I made one up. Of course, nobody believes me, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I've since found that it's a character from a series of fantasy novels, and also a character out of Welsh mythology, but as a 7th grader I just thought it sounded cool.

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:00 am UTC

Mine stands for things. Including "Out West, Intoxicated, Jabbing Angry Ducks."
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:07 am UTC

A friend of mine said it the comic reminded him of me, and I LOVED and related to it SO much when I read it (but I tend to be empathetic and have the cat speak through me saying "I'm a kitty!").
Last edited by Sprocket on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:10 am UTC

Dunno I came up with mine years ago on the spur of the moment cause I couldn't think of anything better. I hate it now though but I use it for everything and Im too lazy to change it

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:11 am UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:Inspired by Battlebots.

Seriously? I always thought it was a reference to candy. Didn't Sid go by a Nougat-related name back then? I don't quite remember since that was so long ago.

Properly my name is Zero Sum Happiness and describes exactly what it seems to be: Happiness is (sometimes) a zero sum game. For me to be more happy I must often do something that would make someone else (or me at a different time) unhappy.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:16 am UTC

ZeroSum wrote:Happiness is (sometimes) a zero sum game. For me to be more happy I must often do something that would make someone else (or me at a different time) unhappy.

Too true. :? *hugs*

I've got to stop playing favorites, this thread is so cool.
Linguistic Anarchist

Melissa63l

Postby Melissa63l » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 am UTC

I've used this once since I was... oh... 13 or so.

I had a huge growth spurt between 12 and 13, and by the time I stopped, I was 6'3. I got tired of every person I met asking me "how tall are you?"

So I put it in my name. The "L" at the end is just my last initial.

Not very exciting, but I've kept it for years and years.

:)

Melissa
Sometimes it's love, sometimes it's lust... sometimes it's Tuesday.

Aaahhh... a month of Tuesdays.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:28 am UTC

That's awesome!
Linguistic Anarchist

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:31 am UTC

Melissa63l wrote:I had a huge growth spurt between 12 and 13, and by the time I stopped, I was 6'3. I got tired of every person I met asking me "how tall are you?"

First off, I hate when people ask friends of mine that are exceptionally tall what their height is. One friend has started responding with "About a foot shorter than you, it's my ego that makes me look this big" (she's 6'7).

Secondly - kick ass sig. It's so true, and I really wish more people realised it.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:36 am UTC

Mine is from Hermaj, Queen of Sandwichdom, which is a thing from highschool which I believe I have explained a couple of times already, every time people are like "Her Majesty...?" Nope, it was never short for anything, guys! :D

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:37 am UTC

I don't know. Think it came from a dream I had once.

About something. And there were frogs involved, I'm pretty sure.

Totally random. Not exciting at all. Wish I had a cool story, though...

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:42 am UTC

une see wrote:Wish I had a cool story, though...

Being granted a name in a dream? That is teh awesome!
Linguistic Anarchist

mrcheesypants

Postby mrcheesypants » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:43 am UTC

I tried to think of two random nouns, stick them together and added the mr prefix to them. This process for making names makes it hard to forget them so it's easy for IM or for gaming.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:43 am UTC

People like to call me 'Mo' but I really hate it, but no matter how many times I tell people that, only about four have ever actually remembered. I also had a coworker once rant to me about the french language, and how '-eaux' should not, in a sane world, sound like 'oh'. So when I gave up all hope of people actually calling me by my real name, I frenchified it instead. Meaux it is.
The bonus is that CreemyNougat used to keep a list of what he called 'Meaux Pas' because I have this special way of getting very tired or very drunk or very stoned, and saying amazingly incorrect things. Faux pas, only more awesome.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:54 am UTC

Because I demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:57 am UTC

My username is simply a contraction of my first name and last name...a friend started using it on me in high school, and I decided I liked it. If it's a real contraction, I never could figure out where to put the apostrophe...it's a mystery!

Neeks

Postby Neeks » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:58 am UTC

a weird pronunciation of the first part of my real name (Nikesh). It was said by my cousin when he was trying to get my attention. He would say it long and stretched out, like 'Neeeeeeeeek'. Little did I know that it would become my nickname fo the next 10 years and beyond.

Also, I got the connection that Neek = Nerd + Geek....so, that's pretty awesomebot.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:00 am UTC

ZeroSum wrote:Seriously? I always thought it was a reference to candy. Didn't Sid go by a Nougat-related name back then? I don't quite remember since that was so long ago.

It's candy. It was only inspired by Battlebots. I sometimes tell people I got the name by eating a hundred Milky Way fun-size bars in one sitting, but that's a lie.

hermaj wrote:Mine is from Hermaj, Queen of Sandwichdom, which is a thing from highschool which I believe I have explained a couple of times already, every time people are like "Her Majesty...?" Nope, it was never short for anything, guys! :D

Ooh, now I can pronounce it right!
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:04 am UTC

scowdich wrote:My username is simply a contraction of my first name and last name...a friend started using it on me in high school, and I decided I liked it. If it's a real contraction, I never could figure out where to put the apostrophe...it's a mystery!
In a contraction you replace every group of unused letters with an apostrophe. So "I would have" becomes "I'd've" if you want to make an absurd contraction.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:08 am UTC

It's what my mother occasionally calls me. She wrote it in an email that my friends later read and gave me shit about, but being the resilient person I am, I made it my online nick for everything.

(Actually, the full thing is joeldipops, but I wanted a name that carried less childish baggage for these fora.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:12 am UTC

My wife, then girlfriend, gave me the name "MoosieCow" twenty years ago. It stuck.
...the whim of a hat.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:14 am UTC

Alisto is a term from Kali/Escrima that means "ready" or "prepared".
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

roaikgid

Postby roaikgid » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:32 am UTC

I was watching my brother play morrowind on his computer, and he wanted to make a 1mp cost spell to build up the destruction skill. He was dismayed to find out that morrowind ignored the fact that he was using the dvorak keyboard layout. I suggested that he just type the name as if it didn't. It ended up being "ygod roaikgid"(he was going to call the spell "fire practice") I liked the sound of it and have been using it and variations of it ever sense.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:33 am UTC

I went through a lot of random names. Zimbio, for instance, was what I thought of when registering for Battle.net at like 8 years old (I happened to think Zimbabwe was a funny name and slightly modified it). Then as a grew up I got tired of that and I stole the name Delphinus, the airship from Skies of Arcadia. I got bored quickly of that and moved on to Vandole, the villain in Sword of Mana and Secret of Mana (at least, for the majority of Secret of Mana)
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

spacermase

Postby spacermase » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:43 am UTC

I came up with mine in 7th grade, and it's actually serve me pretty well.

Mase is shortened form of my actual name (Mason), and Spacer is an old-school scifi term for an astronaut, as I wanted to be an astronaut at the time (I still do, but that's another story).

Later on, it developed a double meaning, as my friends would frequently complain that I "spaced out" too much.
"You're all freaks, sir. But you always have been freaks. Life is a freak. That's it's hope and glory."
-Comment on humanity, The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester

stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend

Postby stuck » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:58 am UTC

/me <insert witty and amusing action>

That stuff was all the rage on mIRC about 10 years ago. Somehow i switched to "stuck" (actually, it was StuCk back then) and it, uh, stuck...
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:07 am UTC

It's like salt, but with an "o". Far out, right?

I was registering for a game I think and I wanted a unique name. This is what I got. yea, not very creative. If I wrote a sci-fi or fantasy book, the character names would really suck.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:26 am UTC

Solt wrote:If I wrote a sci-fi or fantasy book, the character names would really suck.

Nonsense, how do you think most fantasy-ish names came into being? I do most of my fantasy names by either: sounding out random syllables till I happen on something that doesn't sound bad, or ripping something out of my database of stolen names.
Linguistic Anarchist

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:29 am UTC

oh just thought of a good username...are mods able to change someones' username?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:38 am UTC

Long story. Alright. Well. I had these two friends. Well, a friend and an aquaintance, really. Their names were Tas and Nick. And, being kindof crazy, drug-addled RPG players, they had a few weird habits.

One of these habits was that they would occasionally just...fall into conversation with each other as though they were Lucifer (Tas) and one of his generals (I think)(Nick). They would hold a conversation, usually a sortof mundane "How's things" kindof conversation, but as Satan and a Demon. It was one part roleplaying, one part time-killing bullshit, and one part just...wierdness.

Well, one day Nick says something to Tas along the lines of "So, when your vacation here is over, you'll be taking up the reins of Hell again, yeah?" To which Tas immediately shook his head and said,

"No, actually. I'm looking into something new. If nothing else, a longer vacation."

"Oh? So're you just going to leave the place leaderless, or did you have someone in mind?"

"Been thinking about it. I'm thinking Belial. He's good people. Knows what he's doing, has a good head on his shoulders. I think he can handle it without bothering me every twenty minutes."

"Hmm. Yeah. I could see it."

I was, at the time, engulfed in a videogame (*probably* either Crimson Skies or Tenchu), two couches over, and I was only half-listening. And then Tas walked in front of me, reached into his pocket, and pulled out a small, old fashioned key and dropped it in my lap, then held out his hand and said "Kiss the ring". Which I did.

Then he laughed, and said "Take care of the place. And don't lose that fucking key. Wear it around your neck or something." And then he went out on the porch with Nick to drink.

So, I started using the name, because the whole scene amused me. For the same reason, I keep the key on my key-ring (the string he had it on wouldn't fit around my neck.) Also, if, after I die, it turns out that I was a demon prince on vacation and I'm now the lord of hell.....well....score, I guess?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:42 am UTC

I'll give you a hint on how I got mine --

My first name starts with "L" and ends with "ani".
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Return to “General”