Christmas: What did you get?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Re: Christmas: What did you get?

Postby Isaac Hill » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:15 pm UTC

I forgot a gift: a tri-wing screwdriver. Nintendo uses tri-wing screws to assemble their systems to make them harder to tamper with. With the screwdriver, I can take apart my NES and give it a through cleaning. Hopefully that'll fix its graphics problem. The lower right portions of sprites appear a bit below the rest of the characters. For example, most of Mario will be running along the path as he should, one of his legs will be moving parallel to him in the ground. I also plan to disassemble my Game Boy so I can paint it to look like BMO from Adventure Time.

meridian wrote:That is in RI? If so, where? I've always wanted to learn glass blowing, so this seems amazing.
We went to Thames Glass in Newport, RI. That's in the part of Rhode Island that's actually an island. Based on my memories of trips to T.T. the Bear's, it'll probably take you a little over 1.5 hours each way from/to Somerville, maybe more if Newport traffic is bad. It takes the ornament a couple days to cool before you can take it home, but they'll ship it to you for $12 (+$2 each additional ornament). I don't know how long the shipping takes, since I'm only 10-15 minutes away and have driven down to pick my stuff up the two times I've been. It is pretty fun. If you're already curious about trying glass blowing, and can't find anywhere closer to you, you should give it a shot, especially if you can find others to split gas/shipping costs.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:52 am UTC

$100 from grandparents

From a single friend: lots of games from my steam wishlist (Sonic Generations, Crazy Taxi, Bunch of Heroes, Humble Indie Bundle #4 with Cave Story+, Dragon Age: Origins, Bastion, and Dungeon Defenders), two Serial Experiments Lain wall scrolls, a fursona commission and a 360 controller.

From the steam winter sale contest and from trades and shenanigans during it: Gemini Rue, Bad Rats, Chantelise, Ben There Dan That!

From another friend: Batman Arkham Asylum

From myself: A processor upgrade for my laptop from 2.0 to 2.6Ghz, and a 128GB SSD for it.

So, all in all not a bad christmas despite basically not having a family.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

brötchen

Postby brötchen » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:12 am UTC

not gona list everything but rather only the thing that you guys would probably find most interesting :
a gömböc!

Chris Dude70

Postby Chris Dude70 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:44 am UTC

Lets see...

A couple hundred $ in cash.
A lab grade regulated PSU.
A 20 person paintball party.
A RC helium fish. http://www.thinkgeek.com/geek-kids/3-7- ... ium%20fish

Things I bought for myself using christmas money:
Plush companion cube.
65cm RC helicoper.

stevey_frac

Postby stevey_frac » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:05 am UTC

I got a book called 'Fine Shotguns', that I've been rapidly racing through. Only problem is now I want a $15k shotgun. So Purdey.

I also got an antique looking wooden relief periodic table of the elements, some chocolate. An additional hammer, since I can never find mine.

And a bunch of dressy - ish clothes.

--Steve

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:31 am UTC

brötchen wrote:not gona list everything but rather only the thing that you guys would probably find most interesting :
a gömböc!

what does it do?

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:44 am UTC

brötchen wrote:not gona list everything but rather only the thing that you guys would probably find most interesting :
a gömböc!

what does it do?

It has a single stable point. If you place it on a flat surface in any orientation, it will return to the same spot. I think that's the definition anyway.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:51 am UTC

It's also made from a homogenous material - it's a trivially simple problem with a heterogenous material (think Weeble). It's a solid (or set of solids, I suppose) that was only recently worked out, and requires very precise workmanship to realize. Rather neat, really.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Nautilus

Postby Nautilus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:00 pm UTC

Arduino!

And socks!
My flagella bring all the boys to the yard

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

@AvatarIII: I got the basic Kindle with no keyboard. I haven't had time to download many books on it, or upload my existing PDF collection. I anticipate many hours of happiness, however.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:58 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:@AvatarIII: I got the basic Kindle with no keyboard. I haven't had time to download many books on it, or upload my existing PDF collection. I anticipate many hours of happiness, however.

Same as me then.

Go to gutenberg.org for free and legal ebooks, I got a bunch of HG Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Jules Verne, and more there.

Also a trick with pdfs, email them to your kindle (you can find out the address in the kindle's settings) with 'convert' as the email subject and they wil be converted to kindle files, reading pdfs as they are on the kindle can be annoying as the zoom function isn't great and you can't change font size or anything.

Maybe we should have a kindle owners thread? Quite a few people seem to have got one this year.

Brickmack

Postby Brickmack » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:48 pm UTC

Got money, Lego, and soon will be getting a Galaxy Tab (or an iPad, haven't decided for sure yet).

lucrezaborgia

Postby lucrezaborgia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:07 pm UTC

Nerf Maverick, zippy hodie, and reusable pocket warmers.

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:17 pm UTC

My parents gave me a bunch of gift cards, so I went and bought myself a bunch of stuff:

A new computer chair that's better than my $60 piece of crap from Staples
A new, large bamboo cutting board
Contact lenses (woohoo! Now I can go diving without being blind!)

The lenses should be arriving some time this week, and hopefully the chair and the cutting board arrive not long after.

I think the only other thing I really wanted to get that I didn't would have been more dress clothes. As it is I only have one good pair of dress pants and two good shirts + ties, and one jacket (that doesn't really even match the pants I have).
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

wst

Postby wst » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:43 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:Maybe we should have a kindle owners thread? Quite a few people seem to have got one this year.
I'd like to second this, I got the keyboardless wonder this year as well.

I'd been intending to read Neuromancer and Ender's Game for quite a while, it was far too easy to buy them. I hope I don't become an addict, I'm only on apprentice money!

Oh and other things - beard trimmer, hairbrush, BOderant. I think my mum was trying to tell me something!

HP DVD's, gin, clothes, webcam (for skype, my mum lives thousands of miles away).

All fairly utilitarian stuff.

The Kindle is the sexy gadget of my 'haul' as such, and I read a lot of books at work, so it's kind of ideal.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:14 am UTC

Just got back from a 3-week trip to India, and did Christmas with the parents, sis (who also went), and the wife upon return. Got some scotch (Lagavulin), big pack of red vines and a big tub of cheese puffs from Costco, and a sizable check to help cover the cost of the plane tickets which our savings account appreciates greatly. Wife and I also received a Kindle Fire, which is neat.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:23 pm UTC

wst wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:I hope I don't become an addict, I'm only on apprentice money!

Check with your local library. They might have a lending program.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:28 pm UTC

Jacque wrote:a big tub of cheese puffs from Costco,

Be wary of those. Once you start eating those, you never stop...
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:59 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
wst wrote:

Lending ebooks? I never heard of that before. how does it work?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

It's the damnedest thing. They take the ebook and print it out on a bunch of sheets of paper, then glue the whole mess together or something. They often even have somebody make a picture for the front of it. It's neat.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

wst

Postby wst » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:32 am UTC

But where are the buttons to change the... things?

A few guys at work have kindles, and we've traditionally passed books around like... well, I always got bloomin' sloppy 3rds, and kindles let you 'loan' books for up to 2 weeks now... so I guess there is that modern take on an ancient habit.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:23 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:I got:
* Books: "Ender's Game", "Catch 22" and "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind". The last one is by and about a teenager in Africa who built his own electricity generating windmill.
Ender's Game buddy!

My haul for the year, despite how I dislike the word's connotations:
- A Fossil watch, picture as in the Watches thread
- Skyward Sword, which I'm loving the hell out of. Flying yeah!
- Books - Enders Game (New cover, shame), 2 'Saga of Seven Suns' books, and Inheritance (The series seems so much worse now I'm about to start my last year of schooling, as opposed to starting reading it in Grade 4)
- $65 in JB vouchers (Bought my first CD ever, due to me being a young'in. Only $8 for all the Pendulum goodness, so I'm happy :D)
- A few other vouchers which I cannot recall
- A remote control helicopter (This came as part of my Dad's family's Secret Santa, which I didn't even end up buying for my giftee, or knowing who they were, as his/her present was bought by my mother :P)
- A movie (The new Transformers? I'm not big into buying DVDs)

That's all the major stuff, at least that I can recall. I'm happy with this year's haul, although there's been nothing major that I've wanted recently, unlike other years when I was a kiddling. Ah well, still fun, and got to see lots of family in Canberra. Also went on a yacht in Sydney Harbour, which wasn't a present, but still deserves listing as it was Pretty Damn Cool.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:28 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's the damnedest thing. They take the ebook and print it out on a bunch of sheets of paper, then glue the whole mess together or something. They often even have somebody make a picture for the front of it. It's neat.

:roll: nice, real nice :wink:

wst wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:Maybe we should have a kindle owners thread? Quite a few people seem to have got one this year.
I'd like to second this, I got the keyboardless wonder this year as well.

ok, I'll go make it,

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
wst wrote:

Lending ebooks? I never heard of that before. how does it work?

In general, you go to your library's website and check out the ebook you want, and I think they send you a DRMed copy of the book which you load onto your reader. They have limited "copies" they can lend out at a time. I haven't done it, so I'm not 100% sure. I'm assuming the DRM is timed to ensure you don't keep it.

eaglewings51

Postby eaglewings51 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:00 pm UTC

-Downhill skis
-Ski helmet
-Goggles
-Ski bag and ski boot bag (all of which haven't come in the mail yet, :x )
-A shirt

I'm super annoyed. I've been wating to ski and my skis haven't arrived! They've been in the mail for a month now. Kind of annoying considering my whole family went skiing and snowmachining on Sunday and I could do nothing except sit there. That and sled and sledding isn't near so much fun.

Return to “General”