I feel really grown up when..

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charolastra

I feel really grown up when..

Postby charolastra » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:05 am UTC

Maybe this is a function of being 23, post-college, in my first "real" job, in my first "real" apartment (and soon to be in my second!), and developing friendships and social situations outside of school, but sometimes I find myself in situations where I am shocked at how grown up I feel. It's weird to me too because I never felt grown up when off working in foreign countries, traveling alone, going to work, having sex, or even paying bills. It's the little things.

For instance, today I found myself at my grocery deli counter ordering sliced turkey and cheese. I almost had to shake my head because I felt like my mom.

I work in alumni relations at my alma mater and found myself writing a classnote for the alumni magazine. That just blows my mind. All my life I grew up reading the classnotes of my mom's alma mater (this is why I make a great development staff member) and now I'm one of those people. Insane.

When I whip out tons of coupons, I also feel pretty grown up.

Et vous?

Annnnd I'm an idiot and can't put things in their proper place. Fix por favorcito?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Re: I feel really grown up when..

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:14 am UTC

I felt really grown up when I opted into my employer's flex spending plan to deduct my insurance premium payments before taxes.

I feel pretty grown up when I'm on my way to work, listening to NPR.

I feel grown up when I'm shopping for shoes, because my footwear these days is overwhelmingly sensible.

Yesterday, I felt grown up (in a sad way) when I considered spending some of my Christmas money on anti-aging eye cream...I am getting fine lines :(.

I also felt grown up yesterday while standing in the grocery store, carefully comparing the labels on two kinds of bread, looking for which had the most protein and fiber and the least sugar. In my basket already: nonfat, plain Greek yogurt, soymilk, a yoga dvd.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:49 am UTC

When I sit in eight hour meetings about wrestling. Actually, I still feel like a kid then. Nothing seems to make me feel grown up.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:29 am UTC

Yeah. Every year I get older, I feel even smaller and more inexperienced.

Paying bills on time (and that's a bit of a crapshoot, not because I don't have the money, but because I can't seem to remember to do it) is about all I can manage.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:32 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Paying bills on time (and that's a bit of a crapshoot, not because I don't have the money, but because I can't seem to remember to do it) is about all I can manage.

This is why automatic bill pay is awesome. I always forget to pay rent by at least a couple days (but always within the grace period). But I have my utilities automatically withdrawn so it's doesn't matter if I remember.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:26 am UTC

Jesse wrote:When I sit in eight hour meetings about wrestling. Actually, I still feel like a kid then. Nothing seems to make me feel grown up.

...what takes eight hours to cover in a wrestling meeting? I'm surprised the chairs and table lasted that long.
uhhhh fuck.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:10 am UTC

I've always felt almost DEPRESSINGLY adult about buying soap and toothpaste.

Nothing else I do is particularly adult though. At least I don't feel it that hard.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:26 am UTC

Midnight wrote:
Jesse wrote:When I sit in eight hour meetings about wrestling. Actually, I still feel like a kid then. Nothing seems to make me feel grown up.

...what takes eight hours to cover in a wrestling meeting? I'm surprised the chairs and table lasted that long.

SEKRIT DISCUSSIONS! ALso, everything always devolves into jokes, and then an hour later we remember we're supposed to be grown ups.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:45 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Yesterday, I felt grown up (in a sad way) when I considered spending some of my Christmas money on anti-aging eye cream...I am getting fine lines :(.

Pah! Don't make me laugh. Bitterly.
I'm 19 and I already have lines around my eyes. :(
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:37 pm UTC

I feel this when I realize that several major life choices are now no longer choices for me-like having kids, or having a big enough retirement account that I could actually retire in a reasonable amount of time. Also when I go and do things I don't want to do, but still know are necessary. (Annual mammogram, anyone?)
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:11 pm UTC

Not for me, thank you.

I still feel grown up when I look round my flat and think that it is mine. I viewed it, I dealt with all the applications and fees, I pay the rent with the money I earn from my full-time job, I pay the utilities... it's a sweet feeling.
I'm not sure if I feel grown up when I'm out and about and see some cool looking people and think that I'd like to hang out with them... and then realise that they're in their late teens and I'm about ten years older than them. No, I think that just makes me feel old.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:43 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:I've always felt almost DEPRESSINGLY adult about buying soap and toothpaste.

That's why I buy super overpriced but ridiculously colorful and smelly soaps. It's hard to feel grown up when your shampoo is a neon blue hockey puck and your soap is bright orange.

Toothpaste is bad because I literally just grab the cheapest one. And stock up. Stocking up makes me feel old. The fact that I have about 10 bags of dried beans in my pantry also makes me feel old.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:09 am UTC

I feel grown up when I can have a lengthy phone conversation with executives that make probably 10 times my salary about business matters and keep up the whole time.

PAstrychef wrote:I feel this when I realize that several major life choices are now no longer choices for me-like having kids

WHAT
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:03 am UTC

Leading a meeting or a training often gives me that "whoa, I'm mature and adult and competent... when the hell did that happen?" type feeling. Sometimes just reviewing current projects with my boss gives me this feeling.

On the less positive side, going to bed at 8 PM when I've had a crazy week and am exhausted also gives me that, "oh, goddamnit, I appear to be old now" feeling. :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

cybermutiny

Postby cybermutiny » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:09 am UTC

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm living in my second foreign country, living in my own apartment, buying groceries, buying THINGS, but I basically don't really feel grown up. I guess I just don't want to feel grown up because I think with that comes some sort of sad resignation with life, desires to express myself by what I own, taking myself too seriously, and other disenchanting modes of being. I have a very negative view of the 'being grown up' mentality.
P = (A*F) - S, where A = art, F = funny, S = style, and P = Paint Avant-Garde

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:45 am UTC

Shopping for medical insurance.

Buying decent liquor. (Well okay, not completely adult there yet, as I will still have to have someone buy for me for five more months. But still, going into a wine shop with my of-legal-age friends and picking wine to go with dinner feels pretty adult.)

"You're growing up so fast!"
I remember when adults used to say this to me (as everyone under the age of twelve must hear it at least once a month, and far more often than that when visiting family...), and thinking, "no! I'm growing at an entirely reasonable rate!" But no: elementary-age kids grow extraordinarily fast. Every time I go back to visit family, the babies have become toddlers, the toddlers children, and the children have turned into older children who, because their age can be expressed with the -teen suffix, think that they have become real people. Bah, I say! I shake my cane at you! But not too hard, I wouldn't want to throw out my hip...
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:51 am UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:I feel grown up when I can have a lengthy phone conversation with executives that make probably 10 times my salary about business matters and keep up the whole time.

PAstrychef wrote:I feel this when I realize that several major life choices are now no longer choices for me-like having kids

WHAT

There's that little thing we like to call "menopause". Y'know. And/or, in case (like me) it hasn't actually hit yet, "just a bit too old to safely push one out".
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:28 am UTC

I feel really grown up when a movie comes out, and I consider seeing the midnight release before rationalizing that it'll be just as good a few weeks down the line, won't have the same crowds, and I won't need to miss school/work to see it.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:26 am UTC

When I sit at work, browsing the fora. The key phrase there is 'at work'.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 pm UTC

I'm in the supermarket and there's a child running about, getting underfoot. Her mother tells him/her to "Watch out for the man". I look around, but there's no man to be seen!
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

When I "get" the jokes on sitcoms my mom used to watch.

When I read books with swear words in them.

When I look around stores, see tons of people, and realize none of them are there to keep an eye on me and I can just go anywhere I want and not have to check with them first.

When people call me "Ma'am." I love that.

When I buy candy for no reason.

When I can say "I love that song" and I'm not referring to a Disney song.

When I sucessfully keep a straight face when balls or Uranus is mentioned.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Promicin wrote:When I can say "I love that song" when referring to a Disney song, and my friends agree instead of laugh.

FTFM
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

When I get asked for ID to get into a club / buy a drink

When I talk to the new girl at work and remember she's only just started sixth-form (althought that's more feeling like she's a kid than me being an adult)
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

Promicin wrote:When I buy candy for no reason.
As the oldest, I was the first of my siblings and cousins to graduate college and move into my own place. After a couple months, my cousin asked me what is was like to be living on on your own and making a steady paycheck.

I described it as getting a huge check and immediately thinking, "WOW, I could buy SO MUCH candy and soda and no one would tell me not to!" followed quickly by "But I'd need to keep some of it to pay my rent."
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

studyinserendipity wrote:I described it as getting a huge check and immediately thinking, "WOW, I could buy SO MUCH CDs, beer, whisky and lots of pairs of boots and no one would tell me not to!" followed quickly by "But I'd need to keep some of it to pay my rent."

Edited for me. Alcohol, music and DMs are an O'Brien's sweeties!
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

I really started to feel grown-up when I realized I could leave the house, go anywhere, and not have to tell anyone or ask permission to do so beforehand. That, and be back whenever I wanted.

Of course now I let someone know, mainly if I plan to be somewhere for more than a few hours, like when I'm going on an investigation or visiting a friend that lives more than an hour away from me.
PRG

An important message for you:

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:On the less positive side, going to bed at 8 PM when I've had a crazy week and am exhausted also gives me that, "oh, goddamnit, I appear to be old now" feeling. :P

Oh...yeah...I am pretty much in bed by 9:30 on weeknights, because I have to get up at 5:30 to shower and eat a sensible adult breakfast before heading to work.

Another thing that makes me feel grown up: When I have a doctor's appointment, "Are you planning on becoming pregnant?" has become a legitimate question that they always ask me. They always used to ask me "What do you use for birth control?" because the assumption was that I was a kid in college and obviously did not want babies. Now they look at my chart, which includes my place of employment and my marital status, and I guess it's not out of the question that babies are a thing I could want now? That's kinda weird.

Also when I am at work, visiting one of my case families, and they get a phone call and say "I can't talk now, the lady from Head Start is here." I'm a "LADY!?"

Also when the grocery store people call me Ma'am. Also when people ask me if I have kids. Also when one of my coworkers expresses shock that I am under 30 :(
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

SomeFloridaKid

Postby SomeFloridaKid » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:14 am UTC

I feel pretty grown up when i drive a car.

I feel sane because i'm still shit scared of the future.
EXPAND: (a+b)^n
(a+b)^n
(a+b)^n
(a+b)^n

GENERATION 191,184,382 : The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:27 am UTC

OBrien wrote:When I talk to the new girl at work and remember she's only just started sixth-form (althought that's more feeling like she's a kid than me being an adult)

This was the first one for me. The thought process:

-Hey she's kinda cute...
--wait, she's in 12th grade. She's 18.
---She is way too young for me.
----I am old.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:19 am UTC

I felt pretty grown up when I had to ask the nurse for a years supply of bc because I would be spending 6 months in America and then traveling Europe with my boyfriend.. (and when I had to buy pregnancy tests because I threw up said pill after a night out.. that was not very grown up, how I dealt with it was though).

Actually being on my own in a foreign country where all my loved ones live 5 hours in the future does not make me feel grown up though. Hmm.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:23 am UTC

Promicin wrote:When I buy candy for no reason.

This is pretty much the only thing that does it for me - or being able to eat anything at any time without anyone telling me not to.

"Oh hey, this jar of nutella is almost done. Guess I'll put that on some bread tomorrow morning. ...or I could just eat it out of the jar with a spoon, right now. And nobody would care. Because I am an adult and can make my own decisions! And my decision is to eat nutella out of a jar at midnight! WAAAUGH YES FREE WILL NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT."

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:37 am UTC

Spoons are for amateurs. ;)
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:37 am UTC

Zohar wrote:Spoons are for amateurs. ;)

To rephrase what my grandmother once said when I asked for a pair of scissors to make a snowflake:

$DEITY gave you hands before he gave you spoons.
PRG

An important message for you:

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:57 am UTC

Using fingers to eat nutella makes sense, but I'm not sure how you'd make a snowflake by ripping apart paper.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:31 pm UTC

Owning a family-size car.

Being stuck in traffic with said car on the way to the office.

The office. My god, the office.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:Spoons are for amateurs. ;)

Haha, now that I actually think about it, I didn't use a spoon. I used a lollipop stick. Which might negate the part of that that makes it an indicator of my adultness.

(and yes, when the stick stopped being helpful I used my hands.)

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

When I realized all my characters in my stories are adults with real problems, instead of 12-year-olds whose problems include "Oh no, a mouse is living in my dollhouse!" and "Will my parents let me go to China to pick up a panda for the zoo?" (both real stories I've written. The latter was like Doogie Houser if he was a zookeeper)

When I watched skiing in the Olympics. My dad always liked that, so I guess I associate that with being an adult.

When I started getting aches and pains.

When I eat cereal that contains no marshmallows, toys, or "Froot."

When I use knives without parental supervision (and usually cut myself).

When I get injections and don't cry.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

poxic wrote:There's that little thing we like to call "menopause". Y'know. And/or, in case (like me) it hasn't actually hit yet, "just a bit too old to safely push one out".

Oh yeah. That. I was thinking of the other choice being outside her control, for some reason (like, she's gonna have kids and like it).
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Ivor Zozz

Postby Ivor Zozz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

I don't really feel grown up. But one thing that makes me feel old is seeing people my age run for political office.

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

Oh something that really just made me feel old. Me and my boyfriend where just discussing a weekend in London, where we would watch a west end show, have dinner, and then retire to a hotel room.. now that really really did make me feel grown up.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Return to “General”