I feel really grown up when..

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Zarq

Re: I feel really grown up when..

Postby Zarq » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

As long as they don't modernize church towers people will know analogue clocks.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

deskjethp

Postby deskjethp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

IFRGUW: People refer to me as 'sir' ... I'm more of a a "hey uh" kind of person...
or when people offer to get me in touch with their company's "guys in charge of hiring people we like" department or something, as if they think I'm old enough to have the skills to help their company (I probably don't; (I sure must look like I do though ... :\))
arbivark wrote:when i was first a tenant at 19, i was probably a nuisance .. a bother, to the landlord because i'd do stuff like, hey there's a fireplace here, get me a hammer, hey if i make a hole in my ceiling there's an attic that runs the length of the rowhouses.

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:58 pm UTC

What are these "church towers" you people are talking about?

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

I'm going to go ahead and throw in that, at least as I know it, Zulu time and 24 hour time are not the same thing.

24 hour time is time that doesn't use the am/pm system. Zulu time is the same thing as GMT, it refers to the time as measured London (well Greenwich, but close enough).

For example, if I am in New York, it might be 05:00 in 24-hour time, but it will be 00:00 Zulu Time
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:40 am UTC

GenericPseudonym wrote:What are these "church towers" you people are talking about?

Man, I'm terrible at Sarcasm, I think.

Church Towers. With added Analog Clock.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

Antimony-120 wrote:For example, if I am in New York, it might be 05:00 in 24-hour time, but it will be 00:00 Zulu Time

It's the other way around, midnight GMT is 19:00 EST.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Adacore wrote:A lot of the newer 12-hour clocks I've seen here (UK) have both 1 to 12 (in large, black type) and 13 to 24 (in smaller, red type) on the face. am/pm is the 'natural' system to use in everyday conversation here, but I do sometimes use the 24-hour one (I prefer it, personally). Online, of course, it's practically a necessity to give the 24-hour time and time zone for it to have any meaning.

Because 1900 EDT is completely fine (it is) while 7pm EDT is incomprehensible? I mean, I agree that timezones help, but they're only really necessary when planning something. If you're just telling a story, unless timezones directly lay into it, why is it necessary?

I completely agree with you, it's not - I meant only for planning things and coordinating with people across multiple timezones. This is drawn from my experience in clan gaming, where I was using all of the european timezones on a day-to-day basis, and sometimes the american and australian ones too. For a narrative, 24-hour time would sound clunky in a number of contexts (although, as you say, would be fine in others).

EDIT: Anyway, back on topic. I'm starting to feel increasingly grown-up managing all the stuff I have to get sorted out before I move out of my house in a month. There's so much to arrange, and I'm only just coming to the realisation that nobody's going to do it for me :shock:

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

IFRGUW: I become self-concious of the fact that I can reach the top of my refridgerator without any effort. Same for the bathroom faucet - some days I'm like "Whoa. I can reach the soap dispenser."
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

Von Haus wrote:
Antimony-120 wrote:For example, if I am in New York, it might be 05:00 in 24-hour time, but it will be 00:00 Zulu Time

But when is it hammer time?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

Von Haus wrote:

Indeed. Just remember we're currently in EDT and won't be back in EST until the fall.
viscusanima wrote:But when is it Blastoise time?
It's always Hammer time.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

MissAusten

Postby MissAusten » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:37 pm UTC

when I bake delicious cookies :)

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

When I look in the mirror ... sadly.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Return to “General”