Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Walter.Horvath

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Walter.Horvath » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:31 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:I could, in this as in all other situations, blame society as a whole, but I choose not to.

Again, this is the fallacy as treating "society" as something independent of what I or marketing people or film directors do. I blame the advertisers directly for choosing an ad scheme that went above-and-beyond what would normally be "required" to fulfill their obligations*.

Rejecting sexist advertising makes it less valuable for advertisers to promote sexism.

*Ninja'd on this point.

Ohh, I thought we were talking about the Judo/Ballet thing. My fault, the sexist thing makes me want to kill babies. Carry on.
Ivora wrote:Symbicort...

ROFLLMAOBBQ. :lol:

I no, rite? Depression medication is soooo funny!

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Depression medication? ROFL! What the hell are you smoking? :lol:

Symbicort is for asthama related illnesses... but the sad part was all the horrible side effects shoved under the rug.

Like dying a horrible death. :roll:

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:00 am UTC

Ivora wrote:Depression medication? ROFL! What the hell are you smoking? :lol:

Symbicort is for asthama related illnesses... but the sad part was all the horrible side effects shoved under the rug.

I'm not sure, but I think we've already covered asthma-related death in this thread.

EDIT: Yes, we have, and I posted about it:

Giant Speck wrote:
H2SO4 wrote:Along the same line of those medications with the numerous side-effects (Yeah, I realize that was a while ago) there was one commercial I saw for a product that helped control your asthma. Side-effect? INCREASED RISK OF ASTHMA-RELATED DEATH. WTF?! How does THAT happen, if you're treating my asthma? Same thing with a lot of anti-depression meds. Side-effect? Increase in thoughts of suicide. Um, wouldn't I take it because I DON'T want to be suicidal?!

Asthma medications such as Advair decrease the frequency of asthma attacks, but have been shown to increase the severity of the asthma attacks that do occur, which could lead to "asthma-related death". They are not meant to be the first medicine to be used to treat asthma in a patient. They're meant to be added to an asthma treatment medicine if other asthma medications are not sufficiently controlling the patient's asthma.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

screech

Postby screech » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:18 pm UTC

This is probably quite a silly gripe, but it always makes me angry when I hear James Brown's "I Feel Good" being used as the background music in an ad, whether radio or television. IT'S TOO FREAKING OBVIOUS. Show more originality.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

Ohh. I was kinda playing off the whole 'you sound like an idiot or someone who hyperbolically uses hyperboles'.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:

Ohh. I was kinda playing off the whole 'you sound like an idiot or someone who hyperbolically uses hyperboles'.

Well it failed... so there. :P

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:43 am UTC

I keep seeing this commercial for catheters. I guess in the past medicare only paid for a few catheters per month (people would have to clean there own), but this new product allows people to use a clean catheter every time and medicare pays for it. In my book this is a very good if you are in the situation of needing catheters, but every time I see the commercial, I think about a tube being shoved up my urethra, and goddamn I don't really want to think about that. They talk about how bad it is to use dirty catheters, so I have to think about how horrible it would be to have a dirty tube shoved up my urethra. I hate seeing this commercial because of the sympathetic 'ouch' but I can't hate it completely because I have to appreciate what they are trying to do.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Storyteller

Postby Storyteller » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:42 am UTC

folkhero wrote:I keep seeing this commercial for catheters. I guess in the past medicare only paid for a few catheters per month (people would have to clean there own), but this new product allows people to use a clean catheter every time and medicare pays for it. In my book this is a very good if you are in the situation of needing catheters, but every time I see the commercial, I think about a tube being shoved up my urethra, and goddamn I don't really want to think about that. They talk about how bad it is to use dirty catheters, so I have to think about how horrible it would be to have a dirty tube shoved up my urethra. I hate seeing this commercial because of the sympathetic 'ouch' but I can't hate it completely because I have to appreciate what they are trying to do.

Thanks. I just cringed so badly it turned into cramps.
'Bring_me_my_crackpipe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

So there's an ad on TV at the moment, that every time it comes on, I have to yell "graphs do not work that way" at the TV.

It's comparing the cholesterol-absorption-reduction-sciencewords-ness of this magic spread with some other foods that for some unexplained reason are supposed to be comparable. And they show this graph. They mention two foods that give "-1%" and "-5%", and show little arrows that stick out a short amount, and then state that their spread gives "-10%", and out shoots another arrow that sticks nearly the full height of the screen... at least 5-10 times as long as the "-5%" arrow.

Both Google Images and Youtube are failing me, but I've found this by the same company... now picture that, with the fourth 0% arrow removed, all axis labels and small print removed, just the three foods, three percentage numbers, and three arrows, overlaid on some cheesy stop-motion. Then picture the "-5%" arrow being about a quarter as long as it is in that picture, and the other two unchanged. That's what the ad looks like.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

And bad graphs aside, what are they even trying to say? Their margarine might reduce cholesterol absorption by 10% but that figure is meaningless without knowning how much cholesterol I'm taking in. It's not like I'm going to switch from having oats for breakfast to having a tablespoon of margarine. Or are they claiming that a tablespoon of their wonder-product will reduce my cholesterol by 10%?
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

My wife has found, and timed, a medication commercial where the side effects make up between 1/2 an 2/3 of the length of the entire commercial. On the other hand, I totally want sleep-aid medication that causes instability, aggression, hallucination, sleepwalking, and loss of vision.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:Or are they claiming that a tablespoon of their wonder-product will reduce my cholesterol by 10%?

That's what they want you to believe without technically making the actual claim that it will do that.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

joshz

Postby joshz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:My wife has found, and timed, a medication commercial where the side effects make up between 1/2 an 2/3 of the length of the entire commercial. On the other hand, I totally want sleep-aid medication that causes instability, aggression, hallucination, sleepwalking, and loss of vision.
To be fair, they're kind of required by law to say that.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:Also, does anyone else think that if the people that make perfume ads had lived some decades ago, they would have been surrealists??? Some of those ads are just crazy.

Yes.

lulzfish wrote:
KrazyerKate wrote:Something I've been noticing recently in ads, is the motto structure of "it's not X, it's Y." just today I saw these three:
"It's not fast food, it's Wendy's"
"He's more than a dog, he's an Iams Dog."
"It's not just coffee, it's Starbucks"

I'm sure there are more examples.

"Is it a TV, or something better?"

No, it's a TV. It decodes video and displays it.
LG apparently doesn't know what televisions are. I don't want to buy a television from someone who insists that it's not a television. If I wanted to buy a television, I would not want to buy something else, even if it was better. For example, a sports cars may be better than a television, but that's not what I'm buying.

On the other hand, I would argue that most "smart phones" are barely even phones anymore.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

joshz wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:My wife has found, and timed, a medication commercial where the side effects make up between 1/2 an 2/3 of the length of the entire commercial. On the other hand, I totally want sleep-aid medication that causes instability, aggression, hallucination, sleepwalking, and loss of vision.
To be fair, they're kind of required by law to say that.

To be fair, it takes 20 seconds to obliquely hint at what the medication might do that's positive, and 40 seconds to clearly and plainly stare what it might do that's negative.

joshz

Postby joshz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Still not seeing why that's a problem with the commercial.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:01 am UTC

Just two throw two more pennies on the pile for commercials for prescription drugs:

Personally I hate the damn things. If I have a problem with my body, I will go to my doctor. I will not ask my doctor to prescribe me something specific, because that would present that I know more than my doctor about my condition, which, if my doctor is doing his job and I am cooperating, is extremely arrogant and presumptuous.

My doctor will tell me what I need to take. Please go to side-effect hell. Thank you.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:42 am UTC

screech wrote:This is probably quite a silly gripe, but it always makes me angry when I hear James Brown's "I Feel Good" being used as the background music in an ad, whether radio or television. IT'S TOO FREAKING OBVIOUS. Show more originality.

check out #4:http://www.cracked.com/article_17585_5-things-movie-trailers-need-stop-doing.html

While the sexism in advertising doesn't really bother me, headlines on magazines that claim "How to Get X to do Y" get on my nerves. Stuff like "How To Get Your Girlfriend To Like Video Games" or "How To Get Your Crush To Notice You". As if reading the article will give you amazing mind-control powers or something.

rrwoods wrote:Just two throw two more pennies on the pile for commercials for prescription drugs:

Personally I hate the damn things. If I have a problem with my body, I will go to my doctor. I will not ask my doctor to prescribe me something specific, because that would present that I know more than my doctor about my condition, which, if my doctor is doing his job and I am cooperating, is extremely arrogant and presumptuous.

My doctor will tell me what I need to take. Please go to side-effect hell. Thank you.

I see a lot of allergy medicine ads, and I think that's because they're over the counter. However for things like depression, I always assumed the ads were geared toward people who hadn't been diagnosed yet: Saying "You might have disease X. Go ask your doctor." in the hopes that you will be diagnosed and ask for the advertised drug. Either way it's disturbing that a drug company will put such a huge amount of money into trying to convince you that you know more than your doctor.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:00 am UTC

I don't usually watch paid advertisment blocks, but occasionally when I'm flipping through them (or they come on after I've finished watching something else). Apparently they actually go to "commercial breaks" where they act like they're a real show talking about a product, to commercials for that product (often with "real people who used the product"), then back to the "show". :shock:

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:45 pm UTC

I think direct-to-patient advertising is probably a bad idea and that it's best to leave such choices to doctors, but at the same time, people don't go to doctors unless they think their doctor can help them. So for ads that are things like "Do you have symptoms X, Y, and Z? Because we actually discovered something that can fix that" I can see the benefit.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

"I am a non-attorney spokesperson..."
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:36 am UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:While the sexism in advertising doesn't really bother me, headlines on magazines that claim "How to Get X to do Y" get on my nerves. Stuff like "How To Get Your Girlfriend To Like Video Games" or "How To Get Your Crush To Notice You". As if reading the article will give you amazing mind-control powers or something.

What bothers me even more about that is that they're encouraging people to try and change their partners. Whatever happened to "variety is the spice of life" and accepting other people's differences? Not to mention it's a recipe for disaster and a good way to annoy your partner to the point of wanting to break up.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:48 am UTC

Are you suggesting living a life that isn't dictated by adverts and telly?
You're sick.
Ⓞⓞ◯

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:04 pm UTC

Poochy wrote:
KrazyerKate wrote:While the sexism in advertising doesn't really bother me, headlines on magazines that claim "How to Get X to do Y" get on my nerves. Stuff like "How To Get Your Girlfriend To Like Video Games" or "How To Get Your Crush To Notice You". As if reading the article will give you amazing mind-control powers or something.

What bothers me even more about that is that they're encouraging people to try and change their partners. Whatever happened to "variety is the spice of life" and accepting other people's differences? Not to mention it's a recipe for disaster and a good way to annoy your partner to the point of wanting to break up.

askmen.com is particularly guilty of repeatedly producing this sort of article.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

So...I went there out of curiosity. Cue a pcture of a guy pulling his pants down and something about a woman wanting "your tree." What the fuck, men? You're letting that testosterone go to your head!
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

Some of their past articles include "Top 10 ways to upgrade your woman", "Top 10 subtle ways to tell her she's getting fat" and my favourite, "Top 10 things your girl shouldn't know", which included things like 'your fears and insecurities' and ... look, actually, this is getting off topic, because they aren't producing arseish advertising so much as truthful advertising about the fact that they are arses.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Some of their past articles include "Top 10 ways to upgrade your woman"

I immediately thought of Team Fortress 2 and how Engineers upgrade sentry guns.
Spoiler:
Hit it / her with a pipe wrench.

Maybe not a good idea, and women don't usually want machine guns and rocket launchers sprouting out of them anyway.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:Maybe not a good idea, and women don't usually want machine guns and rocket launchers sprouting out of them anyway.

The girl who does is the girl for me.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:07 pm UTC

The upgrading beter feature cybernetics. Becaus bviously a woman that can fire laserbeams out of her hands is better than one that can't.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:Maybe not a good idea, and women don't usually want machine guns and rocket launchers sprouting out of them anyway.

Yeah, seriously, laser cannons and diamond-edged saws are way preferable.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

At the very least, one bionic eye that can produce night vision, infrared and see into the depths of the souls of fellow humans would be nice.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:47 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:
Poochy wrote:

askmen.com is particularly guilty of repeatedly producing this sort of article.

I often see similar headlines on women's magazines or in the lifestyle section of the newspaper. I don't usually read that stuff, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm fairly sure that those types of publications become popular by reinforcing stereotypes about the opposite gender and shoving blame onto your partner. Few people want to be told that the common factor in their eighteen failed relationships is their own behaviour. So, instead they are told that their relationship issues are because %OppositeGender is some kind of bizarre alien creature which has to be tamed and housebroken, or because %OppositeGender is like a defective version of real people your own gender which needs to "fixed" (In Just Ten Easy Steps!).

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:46 am UTC

LMFAO! Male cologne commercials. :D

"Hugo... for men."

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

"Drafts can increase your heating bills, causing your money to literally fly out the window." That's a pretty tenuous use of the word "literally."
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:36 pm UTC

If the draft is strong enough, and the space in your window big enough...
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

This isn't really a fallacy or douchebaggery, but I'm tired of seeing that Lysol commercial featuring Joe Rubino and his weird, almost creepy voice. And while watching this commercial, I cannot help but wonder if there are poor souls out there that are dumb enough to try to take Lysol internally thinking it'll kill off the H1N1 virus in their bodies.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

AT&T might be absolutely right about having better phone speed than Verizon, and they might be lying their asses off about being able to use the Internet on your phone and talk at the same time, but that's all unimportant. I just hate that guy in their commercial. He reminds me of the Mac guy in the Mac PC vs. Windows PC commercials.

He just sounds like a total douchebag. Like if we were watching TV, he'd say, "I see you got a Niko TV, you know they suck? You should have got a Sony" or "I see you have a Acer, why didn't you get a Mac?"
It's none of AT&T's business. The Verizon ads weren't even good or clever, there was no need to make an even more stupid comeback.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:23 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:This isn't really a fallacy or douchebaggery, but I'm tired of seeing that Lysol commercial featuring Joe Rubino and his weird, almost creepy voice. And while watching this commercial, I cannot help but wonder if there are poor souls out there that are dumb enough to try to take Lysol internally thinking it'll kill off the H1N1 virus in their bodies.
Well, it'll work. Granted, it'll do it by killing the host, but it'll work.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:16 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:It's none of AT&T's business. The Verizon ads weren't even good or clever, there was no need to make an even more stupid comeback.

Actually, it IS AT&T's business what cell phone you're using. That's what they're paid for. But that spokesman really is pretty douchey. I thought the Get a Mac ads were clever, but now there are several corporations that are trying to copy the formula. And failing.

the "stupid comeback" ads bother me in general because of how petty they come across as.
the "I'm a PC" ads just sound like Microsoft saying "Apple said we weren't cool! we'll show them, look at all these people that like me!"
the AT&T ads just sound like AT&T saying "Verizon said they have better rates! we'll show them, look at these rates!"

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:38 am UTC

Can someone point out how exactly they're (Verizon) manipulating their data so that it seems they have more 3G coverage than AT&T. Something just doesn't seem right about those maps.
Spoiler:

Return to “General”