Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

emceng

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby emceng » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:26 pm UTC

It may not be that terribly far off. Break it down over 10 years - 2000 minutes a year = 5.5 minutes per day every day. Ok, that seems really, high, but that's just over ten years. Stretch it to 50, and you're down to 1.1 minutes per day every day. You could instead think of it as 30 minutes of making out a month - which makes more sense at the lower ages. Then again, it depends on how you are counting kissing. Having your tongue in someone's mouth or vice versa for 60 seconds straight doesn't happen that often.

So yeah - it is high, but maybe not as bad as it may appear at first glance. But then they probably just grabbed whatever stupid quasi-scientific survey with unrealistic extrapolations from simplistic and incomplete data and rounded it to an easy to say number.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:Would you like to release the statistics for that? That'd be interesting data to look over. :)

25,614 were willing to fill it out. 13,021 told us to fuck off with varying degrees of politeness. 312 figured out what we were talking about and called us on it, usually accepting that we were doing a social experiment

So 99% of people on the street have no idea how the atmosphere works?
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

If you round up. Although, I don't know if this is a scientifically valid sample size. I'm not too familiar on those metrics, and I honestly don't know where to go to check anyway.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:38 am UTC

It's good enough for a poll.

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:57 pm UTC

How 'bout that new phone commercial that has this phone embarrassing its owner in front of her friend 'Janice' and ends with the tagline, "Don't live with phone shame." I mean... what the hell? You should buy our product because owning an old phone is something to be ashamed of. Idiots...
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

sir2you wrote:How 'bout that new phone commercial that has this phone embarrassing its owner in front of her friend 'Janice' and ends with the tagline, "Don't live with phone shame." I mean... what the hell? You should buy our product because owning an old phone is something to be ashamed of. Idiots...

Wow. I just had to google that one. Quite the douchebaggery from Best Buy.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:07 pm UTC

My phone is 6 years old and I am proud of it.
Ⓞⓞ◯

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

I've been using a Motorola Razr for about 5 years. Although my current one has only been 3 of that.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

I'm using a motorola rizr!

I don't care for it. I get to upgrade in September though, woo! I'll probably upgrade to a smartphone with any birthday money I happen to get :)
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

I loved my RAZR, but I wouldn't swap my BlackBerry for one.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:
sir2you wrote:How 'bout that new phone commercial that has this phone embarrassing its owner in front of her friend 'Janice' and ends with the tagline, "Don't live with phone shame." I mean... what the hell? You should buy our product because owning an old phone is something to be ashamed of. Idiots...

Wow. I just had to google that one. Quite the douchebaggery from Best Buy.

"Still owes you ten bucks for that sushi Janice"... I should be embarrassed in front of my friends because said friend owes me money? Maybe it meant to say that its owner owes HER ten bucks, but that's not what it sounded like.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:07 am UTC

I have a RAZR and love it. I don't see myself replacing it unless it breaks, and it's still in like-new condition after 1.5 years.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:23 am UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:I have a RAZR and love it. I don't see myself replacing it unless it breaks, and it's still in like-new condition after 1.5 years.

I had a RAZR, and it was good until the battery started sucking. Now I've got a phone which I like, but it keeps breaking every few months in different ways. (They won't let me switch models.) I don't think I have much need for a smartphone, but I do want a phone with QWERTY input.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:54 am UTC

I had a razr that I loved, but I kept using the back as a place to store permission slips for school, and eventually the back cover wouldn't stay on. I had a friend whose keys peeled off, but the phone worked fine.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:08 am UTC

I got a new phone when I renewed my contract, but I just found my old Siemens CF62 looking through my stuff and I'll start using that instead once I receive the new battery and charger ($10 total on ebay). I've never been too keen on fancy phones.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:58 pm UTC

I had a razr through work and it was the shittiest piece of shit that ever got shat out of a butt(channelling Jay?).

If I made zero phone calls in a day, the battery would not even last 24 hours. It's not like it was searching for signal all the time - this was me driving to and from work in a major metro area.

As an added bonus, it had a low battery alarm. A loud beep, that would go off every 5 minutes. And you couldn't shut it off unless the phone was powered off. That meant that in addition to the useless battery, if I forgot to shut off or plug in my phone at night, at about 4 AM I got woken up by this horribly annoying beeping.

I hated the keys, and the interface was poor. It also had a shitty missed/placed/incoming calls list that made it hard to figure out who had called you or vice versa.

To sum up - if someone suggests that I purchase a razr phone, they may well get a punch in the face.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:38 am UTC

I had a RAZR (the awesome limited edition one with a dragon on it>) that lasted through 4 years of extremely heavy usage. We're talking 14+ hours a day of yammering on it and 3+ texting before the screen up and said "I QUIT!" ....why yes, I DID break it down, and why no, I did not get much sleep. New relationships in the honeymoon phase tend to do that to ya.

The battery got touchy near the end, but overall it was a wonderful phone. R.I.P

...now I have a Gravity2 and Oh me yarm I love it. It has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard and a nice big screen and with a certain sound setting, the number buttons become notes on the musical scale. With 12 notes, I can play so many songs. <.<
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:20 am UTC

emceng wrote:If I made zero phone calls in a day, the battery would not even last 24 hours. It's not like it was searching for signal all the time - this was me driving to and from work in a major metro area.

In my experience with cell phones, batteries running out quickly are sometimes the fault of poor reception rather than the actual phone itself.

From what I can tell, connecting to the network takes a considerable amount of wireless transmission, which in turn takes a bit of extra power each time, much like the battery gets drained faster during a call than when idle. When you have spotty or weak signals, the phone seems to get disconnected, log back in automatically, get disconnected again, and so on in a vicious cycle.

I noticed this effect when I was in the basement of a fairly tall building one day, and I noticed that while my cell phone was showing 1 bar of signal, and the battery was draining at a ridiculous rate.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

Poochy wrote:
emceng wrote:If I made zero phone calls in a day, the battery would not even last 24 hours. It's not like it was searching for signal all the time - this was me driving to and from work in a major metro area.

In my experience with cell phones, batteries running out quickly are sometimes the fault of poor reception rather than the actual phone itself.

From what I can tell, connecting to the network takes a considerable amount of wireless transmission, which in turn takes a bit of extra power each time, much like the battery gets drained faster during a call than when idle. When you have spotty or weak signals, the phone seems to get disconnected, log back in automatically, get disconnected again, and so on in a vicious cycle.

I noticed this effect when I was in the basement of a fairly tall building one day, and I noticed that while my cell phone was showing 1 bar of signal, and the battery was draining at a ridiculous rate.

Also, did you leave the bluetooth on? I did that for a week, and I had to charge the phone every night, instead of the normal every two or three nights.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

No bluetooth, no extra stuff. I drove from home with good signal to work with good signal, then had it in my pocket all day. The damned thing would be dead every night.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:38 am UTC

There's this "Learn to Be" commercial I keep seeing for an online teaching program for kids who are having problems in school (so far as I can tell). The teacher in the commercial is a terrible teacher. The kid asks how to find the area of a triangle and the teacher replies "The formula for the area of a triangle is 1/2 of the base times the height, so you multiply the base by the height and divide by two." Then they smile and laugh.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:21 am UTC

Levi wrote:There's this "Learn to Be" commercial I keep seeing for an online teaching program for kids who are having problems in school (so far as I can tell). The teacher in the commercial is a terrible teacher. The kid asks how to find the area of a triangle and the teacher replies "The formula for the area of a triangle is 1/2 of the base times the height, so you multiply the base by the height and divide by two." Then they smile and laugh.

Well at least they got the math right. But still.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

I've been seeing these paper towel commercials which claims their paper towels are better than quilted ones because "quilted is towel speak for air" and theirs has more towel material and less air in the towels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't paper towels supposed to, you know, soak up water? How do you soak up water when there's no air between the fibers to displace?

I suspect these paper towels are like those cheapo napkins and paper towels you always see schools use in cafeterias - they'll just push the water around, without soaking it up.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

The new Chase commercial advertising their new "deposit checks via iPhone" is a bit misleading in showing how simple it is to use.

They show the man and woman simply snapping a photograph of the front of the check and that's it. That seriously cannot be all you have to do. USAA, my bank, has had this service for quite some time now, and with it, you have enter the amount written on the check, then take a picture of the front, and then endorse and take a picture of the back. And even then, you have to wait for the app to verify the check before you can deposit another check.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:40 pm UTC

Here's a good general one. Facetime. People have such a fucked up understanding of the usefulness of this:

Friend: Oh wow, facetime is sweet. Now deaf people can communicate via cell!
Me: They've been able to do that for a while. It's called texting.
Friend: Thank you, Steve Jobs, for making me stupid.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:50 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:The new Chase commercial advertising their new "deposit checks via iPhone" is a bit misleading in showing how simple it is to use.

They show the man and woman simply snapping a photograph of the front of the check and that's it. That seriously cannot be all you have to do. USAA, my bank, has had this service for quite some time now, and with it, you have enter the amount written on the check, then take a picture of the front, and then endorse and take a picture of the back. And even then, you have to wait for the app to verify the check before you can deposit another check.

I retract this rant. I just saw the commercial again, and they do mention taking a picture of the back, despite the fact that they don't show the two people doing it.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

All the iPhone commercials I've ever seen say something like "sequence has been shortened".
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:23 pm UTC

The early ones didn't, and Apple got in trouble for false advertising. In the UK at least, I don't know about elsewhere.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:Here's a good general one. Facetime. People have such a fucked up understanding of the usefulness of this:

...is FaceTime different from a video call? Because my phone can already do that and it's like three years old.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

Not to my knowledge, no.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

Insignificant Deifaction wrote:Not to my knowledge, no.

Sure it is. It uses their proprietary system which isn't compatible with existing standards. Even if they make theirs an open standard, they're still waging war on established standards in an effort to displace them in favor of a system they ultimately control...

Oh wait, did EmptySet mean different in a functional way?

In that case, not to my knowledge, no.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:
saxmaniac1987 wrote:Here's a good general one. Facetime. People have such a fucked up understanding of the usefulness of this:

...is FaceTime different from a video call? Because my phone can already do that and it's like three years old.

The only difference I can see is that it uses two cameras, but even that isn't all that special.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

We saw this really annoying ad near where we are.
megabite.jpg
megabite.jpg (54.2 KiB) Viewed 3968 times

If you can't quite read that,
MEGA-BITE.jpg
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:21 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:We saw this really annoying ad near where we are.
megabite.jpg

If you can't quite read that,
MEGA-BITE.jpg

Thank you for restoring my misanthropic nature in one fell swoop.

Our civilization needs to collapse.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Fossa wrote:Thank you for restoring my misanthropic nature in one fell swoop.

Our civilization needs to collapse.
Aw, but I almost laughed out loud in the office... :P

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

So, one megabite is .68kg?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

I just tried watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart online on their site. On both of my computers, no matter which browser I use, the two ads play flawlessly before giving me an empty black screen. How the hell can you play the advertisements just fine, but glitch out when the actual content comes on?

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote: . . . How the hell can you play the advertisements just fine, but glitch out when the actual content comes on?

Priorities. ;)

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:We saw this really annoying ad near where we are.
Guess I'm just weird, cause I think that's cute.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Welsh Mullet

Postby Welsh Mullet » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

One facetime ad shows a woman using it to show her husband in the army her baby scan live from a hospital. Small print: facetime requires Wi-Fi.

Now i was under the impression that you could have Wi-Fi in a hospital, let alone in the room with the ultrasound equipment.

Return to “General”