Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:03 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:Here's a good general one. Facetime. People have such a fucked up understanding of the usefulness of this:

Friend: Oh wow, facetime is sweet. Now deaf people can communicate via cell!
Me: They've been able to do that for a while. It's called texting.
Friend: Thank you, Steve Jobs, for making me stupid.

http://beesbuzz.biz/d/random-every_xkcd_comic.php
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby emceng » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:11 pm UTC

Welsh Mullet wrote:One facetime ad shows a woman using it to show her husband in the army her baby scan live from a hospital. Small print: facetime requires Wi-Fi.

Now i was under the impression that you could have Wi-Fi in a hospital, let alone in the room with the ultrasound equipment.


Assuming you meant "couldn't", yes, you can have wifi in a hospital - it just isn't the best idea. I don't work in a hospital, but I do work at making sure equipment won't be adversely affected by things like that. Most equipment won't have issues with wifi signals. The problem is that they are not tested for immunity against wifi.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Eastwinn
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:36 am UTC
Location: Maryland

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Eastwinn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:Here's a good general one. Facetime. People have such a fucked up understanding of the usefulness of this:

Friend: Oh wow, facetime is sweet. Now deaf people can communicate via cell!
Me: They've been able to do that for a while. It's called texting.
Friend: Thank you, Steve Jobs, for making me stupid.


Not to mention pagers before that, which are extremely popular in the deaf community. There are also video phones for communication in a less mobile manner.
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

User avatar
Pesto
Posts: 737
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:33 pm UTC
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Pesto » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:28 am UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:I just tried watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart online on their site. On both of my computers, no matter which browser I use, the two ads play flawlessly before giving me an empty black screen. How the hell can you play the advertisements just fine, but glitch out when the actual content comes on?

I had an odd "problem" where the ads would cut out about halfway through, but the actual show would run without a problem. It turned out that the HD partition holding my OS was nearly out of space. My guess is that the commercials and the show were being handled in two different ways. The commercials were always being cut off at about the same length, which leads me to believe that dailyshow.com makes you download the video files for the commercial in full. Because my partition was full, there wasn't enough room to store the whole commercial, so it would quit after ~15 seconds. The show is long enough that downloading the whole thing isn't feasible, so it probably continually downloads into a fixed size buffer, possibly in memory, so disk space wasn't an issue.

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:11 am UTC

Not so much a commercial, but a sub place in a food court I walk through frequently has a sign on the wall saying "all our eggs come from chooks!". I presume they're trying to imply that powdered eggs aren't made from egg (not that I've ever known any place to use powdered egg, anyway).

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby EmptySet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

Clearly, they mean to indicate that they don't use quail eggs. That could only result in decadent bourgeois pigs cluttering up the food court.

User avatar
PhoenixEnigma
Posts: 2303
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 am UTC
Location: Sasquatchawan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:00 am UTC

Just noticed this as I was browsing for photo accessories at a fairly reputable website. Not a commercial as such, but still worthy of note:

DoinItWrong.JPG

For those that aren't aware, an ND4 filter should, by design, transmit 1/24 of the light, or about 6%, of the light. 99% transmission would make it pretty useless for its intended purpose.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

User avatar
Mike_Bson
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm UTC

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Mike_Bson » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:09 am UTC

I hate commercials that do not actually advertise the product, but just something funny/cool/appealing/etc. And commercials going all false dichotomy on me, telling me that either I choose their product with all these amazing befits, or I'll have some useless, ineffective product.

User avatar
Ouch.jars
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:47 am UTC
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Ouch.jars » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:11 am UTC

On a real estate sign I saw yesterday:

"These architecturally designed homes..."
ouchjars: putting the "pie" in "sapience" since '08

User avatar
Antimony-120
Posts: 830
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:16 am UTC
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Antimony-120 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

Ouch.jars wrote:On a real estate sign I saw yesterday:

"These architecturally designed homes..."


Many houses aren't designed by an architect. However still qualifies if they're trying to slip around the fact that theirs aren't either by using "architecturally designed" instead of "designed by an architect", or if the architect had some minor influence in designing the base home to which modules have been added and subtracted so many times it's now somewhat irrelevant what the base home itself looked like.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!


****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

stevey_frac
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby stevey_frac » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

Antimony-120 wrote:
Ouch.jars wrote:On a real estate sign I saw yesterday:

"These architecturally designed homes..."


Many houses aren't designed by an architect. However still qualifies if they're trying to slip around the fact that theirs aren't either by using "architecturally designed" instead of "designed by an architect", or if the architect had some minor influence in designing the base home to which modules have been added and subtracted so many times it's now somewhat irrelevant what the base home itself looked like.



Technically, you don't need an architect or an engineer to design a home. At least not in my jurisdiction. It'd be a pain to get the drawings approved by the city, and unless you are an architect or an engineer, it'd be a pain to do some in a reasonable manner, seeing as you have no experience in designing home, but the only requirement for any residence under 3500 sq. ft. is that it comply with appropriate building codes.

User avatar
kernelpanic
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:26 am UTC
Location: 1.6180339x10^18 attoparsecs from Earth

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

I just got a no-break surge protector that proudly says on the box "Internet Enabled!"
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Image

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby meatyochre » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

kernelpanic wrote:I just got a no-break surge protector that proudly says on the box "Internet Enabled!"

Well now if you can't plug in the internets, how are they supposed to work??
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

ImagingGeek
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby ImagingGeek » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

Welsh Mullet wrote:One facetime ad shows a woman using it to show her husband in the army her baby scan live from a hospital. Small print: facetime requires Wi-Fi.

Now i was under the impression that you could have Wi-Fi in a hospital, let alone in the room with the ultrasound equipment.


Wifi, cell phones, ad other radio transmitters are allowed in most hospitals, but must be kept out of certain areas that have sensitive equipment. But the world being the way it is, most hospital equipment is being built with that kind of interference in mind.

At the hospital where I work, WiFi is ubiquitous throughout the hospital. and the only major cell phone control is in trying to keep people from yacking too loudly near patient areas.

Bryan
I have a new blog, on making beer.

Not that anyone reads it...

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:09 pm UTC

kernelpanic wrote:I just got a no-break surge protector that proudly says on the box "Internet Enabled!"
*headdesk* Were they trying to say that it also includes phone and/or network cable protection?

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
Antimony-120
Posts: 830
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:16 am UTC
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Antimony-120 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:19 pm UTC

stevey_frac wrote:
Antimony-120 wrote:
Ouch.jars wrote:On a real estate sign I saw yesterday:

"These architecturally designed homes..."


Many houses aren't designed by an architect. However still qualifies if they're trying to slip around the fact that theirs aren't either by using "architecturally designed" instead of "designed by an architect", or if the architect had some minor influence in designing the base home to which modules have been added and subtracted so many times it's now somewhat irrelevant what the base home itself looked like.



Technically, you don't need an architect or an engineer to design a home. At least not in my jurisdiction. It'd be a pain to get the drawings approved by the city, and unless you are an architect or an engineer, it'd be a pain to do some in a reasonable manner, seeing as you have no experience in designing home, but the only requirement for any residence under 3500 sq. ft. is that it comply with appropriate building codes.


Yes, but most homes these days are designed by engineers. I'm not suggesting that they aren't very good at their job, or that engineers can't be artistic, or indeed that an engineer can't design a house that is as aesthetically pleasing as an architect can, however on average an architect will design a nicer house than an engineer will. This is simply because it's what they're trained for, and what their job is. Thus, saying something is "designed by an architect" is in fact a good point in it's favour. But like I said, the phrase "architecturally designed" does smell fishy, and may in fact be a complete bullshit move.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!


****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

ImagingGeek
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby ImagingGeek » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:38 am UTC

Back to the OP - there is a recent Listerine commercial where they wax poetic about "biofilms". The biofilm in your mouth is commonly known as plaque - all listerine is doing is trying to sound all technical, by using the proper scientific term.

Also, anything "probiotic". All current "probiotic" foods were probiotic long before they thought to slap a lable on it (probiotic, in that they contain bacteria that are a normal part of healthy gut flora). Once again, a legit scientific term being used to push a product - and in at least a few cases, was used to lie about the properties of a product.

Then there is the Qray bracelet. It gives results, and you just feel better! They just don't mention that the result is a lighter pocketbook, and the "feel better" is the relief you feel when you realize that while you were dumb enough to buy it, you were not dumb enough to wear it in public1. I do like that you can count their fraud convictions through the number of awkward cuts in their commercials.

Bryan

1doesn't apply to all Q-ray owners
I have a new blog, on making beer.

Not that anyone reads it...

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:27 am UTC

An exception, of course, must be made for actual probiotic medicines. (I don't know about human medicines, but we give something called ProBios to livestock when they're sick.)
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

ImagingGeek
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby ImagingGeek » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:An exception, of course, must be made for actual probiotic medicines. (I don't know about human medicines, but we give something called ProBios to livestock when they're sick.)


But therein lies the hitch - the doses of bacteria shown to have clinical significance is equivalent to what you would find in 2-3L of probiotic yogurt. So unless you're eating liters of yogurt a day, don't expect an effect.

That said, there is a lot of dodgy science surrounding probiotics.

Bryan
I have a new blog, on making beer.

Not that anyone reads it...

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:36 am UTC

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby H2SO4 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:53 am UTC

"The more you know, the more you Kohl's."

What the hell does "Kohl's" mean as a verb??
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

User avatar
Eastwinn
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:36 am UTC
Location: Maryland

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Eastwinn » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:02 am UTC

There are products at GNC that are supposedly equivalent to many, many, many yogurts.
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

User avatar
PhoenixEnigma
Posts: 2303
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 am UTC
Location: Sasquatchawan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:05 am UTC

There is a yogurt here that advertises that it contains both pre- and probiotics. As best as I can figure, "prebiotics" that means that their product can, at a minimum, support microorganisms. Not much of a claim, seeing how as everything but Cheese Whiz can manage that.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:43 am UTC

Speaking of probiotic yogurt, the new Activia ad is annoying.

Jamie Lee Curtis is pushing an Activia cart through a park and happens upon a couple. She asks the couple if they'd like to try some Activia. The woman asks if Activia is that "yogurt that..." before Jamie cuts her off, does that digestive system hand gesture and finishes her sentence, "regulates your digestive system." They both take cups of Activia from her and she goes on to talk about how "beyond tasty" it is.

Then they cut to the guy with a mouth full of yogurt saying "this tastes great".

It's stupid because he only puts a spoonful in his mouth and suddenly it's like he tried to down the entire cup all at once. Also, the expression on his face and the way he says "this tastes great" isn't all that convincing. To be honest, it actually looks like he hates it.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

hemhhr
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby hemhhr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:46 am UTC

Mike_Bson wrote:I hate commercials that do not actually advertise the product, but just something funny/cool/appealing/etc. And commercials going all false dichotomy on me, telling me that either I choose their product with all these amazing befits, or I'll have some useless, ineffective product.

Aren't appealing things the reason you watch TV? Why would you want them to advertise a product to you? Isn't your time better spent seeing something funny or cool looking?

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby meatyochre » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:24 am UTC

hemhhr wrote:
Mike_Bson wrote:I hate commercials that do not actually advertise the product, but just something funny/cool/appealing/etc. And commercials going all false dichotomy on me, telling me that either I choose their product with all these amazing befits, or I'll have some useless, ineffective product.

Aren't appealing things the reason you watch TV? Why would you want them to advertise a product to you? Isn't your time better spent seeing something funny or cool looking?

I don't know about you, but I watch tv to watch shows, not commercials.

Jamie Lee Curtis must be pretty hard up for cash if she's doing yogurt commercials.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Mike_Bson
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm UTC

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Mike_Bson » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:56 am UTC

hemhhr wrote:
Mike_Bson wrote:I hate commercials that do not actually advertise the product, but just something funny/cool/appealing/etc. And commercials going all false dichotomy on me, telling me that either I choose their product with all these amazing befits, or I'll have some useless, ineffective product.

Aren't appealing things the reason you watch TV? Why would you want them to advertise a product to you? Isn't your time better spent seeing something funny or cool looking?

I don't really know how you can define time as being more well-spent when we're talking about TV. But I fell advertisements are there to advertise the product for me (duh :P), not to entertain me, so entertainment does nothing for me as an advertisement.

pheonixduprese
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:41 am UTC
Location: Des Moines (IA)

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby pheonixduprese » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:51 am UTC

So many commercials show things that could totally be used as sexual harrasment. Take the esurance comm.- they're bragging about how this guy made it so you can see your auto repairs online. Then a second guy comes over, and is like- "hey, that's really great!" as he's slowely encompassing this guy in a gay hug. "No, that's... really great!" and then they go to the screen that has their numbers and all that crap and their still talking. first guy- "I don't want to talk about feelings, Phil." Ok? Phil has approached this guy before like this, ecompassing him in weird hugs? Second guy- "Yes. You. Do." That's probably grounds for sexual harrasment right there.

And wtf is with beer commercials? You listen to them, and in quite a few they don't even say 'beer' because of it's association with :twisted:. And if they do, they say "Hey. Our bud light is better then their, that other company over their, Hey! Company! Wave! Yeah, you see em? Their beer.

They have to make sure the consumers mind is COMPLETELY off of their own company before attacking others with words like "beer." AHHGRGHALALJLKDJGLJS.

I know it's been mentioned before, but what about E.D. pharmeceuticals? Take Cialis, for example. Their kitchen morphs into a babbling brook in the middle of the forest. I don't know that much about sex, but I'm pretty sure it's not THAT good. Gaaaaaah. Die consumerism. I could go into a rant about how socialism would fix some of this, but I won't.
Candace wrote: She's like CATNIP for BOYS! She's BOYNIP!

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Kewangji » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:06 pm UTC

@phoenix: We still have Carlsberg's 'probably the best beer in the world' over here (Sweden). Though it's only in written form, if I remember correctly.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

Thanks to SNL all I can think of when I see an Activia commercial is Jamie Lee Curtis crapping her pants.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
kernelpanic
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:26 am UTC
Location: 1.6180339x10^18 attoparsecs from Earth

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby kernelpanic » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:57 pm UTC

And I've never seen a beer ad that doesn't say "beer" somewhere.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Image

ImagingGeek
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby ImagingGeek » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:35 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:There is a yogurt here that advertises that it contains both pre- and probiotics. As best as I can figure, "prebiotics" that means that their product can, at a minimum, support microorganisms. Not much of a claim, seeing how as everything but Cheese Whiz can manage that.


I *think* the prebiotic means that it helps make a happy gut environment, where all them good bacteria can set up shop - i.e. it is a bulls-hit made up term that refers to a completely fictional property of the product.

My wife buys a prebiotic yogurt - as far as I can tell the only difference between it and normal yogurt is that the manufacturer adds fiber.

Bryan
I have a new blog, on making beer.

Not that anyone reads it...

hemhhr
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby hemhhr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

Mike_Bson wrote:I don't really know how you can define time as being more well-spent when we're talking about TV. But I fell advertisements are there to advertise the product for me (duh :P), not to entertain me, so entertainment does nothing for me as an advertisement.

I just think it's strange that you would be annoyed because an advertisement isn't serving it's purpose. It only really matters to the company with the product whether the advertisement does its advertising job. I resent their mind control, I want them to fail!

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Xeio » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

H2SO4 wrote:"The more you know, the more you Kohl's."

What the hell does "Kohl's" mean as a verb??
I've always liked "Once you know, you newegg" for some corny reason, but at least that's a pun-based ad.

So Xing, where X is a store name is... shopping at that store? Actually, there are way too many terrible terrible puns that could come about from this line of thought...

User avatar
Sandry
My cheese is pants?
Posts: 1894
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:36 am UTC
Location: Boston area
Contact:

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Sandry » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:So Xing, where X is a store name is... shopping at that store? Actually, there are way too many terrible terrible puns that could come about from this line of thought...

Yes. Next up: gun ads for Target.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

Perhaps I am just woefully ignorant, but could somebody please explain to me how filtering your water is 'better for the environment'?
Surely you have to keep replacing the filters, which is therefore worse for the environment?
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Ashlah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:18 pm UTC

I think the idea is that it's better than buying bottled water. Surely the number of replacement filters you go through is less than the number of plastic bottles you would go through for the equal amount of water.

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

Oh I did not get that!
I thought it was trying to claim it was better than just drinking tap water. But yeah that makes sense.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:41 pm UTC

It *is* better for the environment. Just think about all that lead contamination that doesn't go back into the water system if your water is filtered.

(Sorry, still bitter about not being able to use the water in the barracks when I was first stationed in Maryland.)
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Welsh Mullet
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: South Wales

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Welsh Mullet » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

kernelpanic wrote:And I've never seen a beer ad that doesn't say "beer" somewhere.


All of the UK's "if carlsberg did" adverts.

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Kewangji » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

Welsh Mullet wrote:
kernelpanic wrote:And I've never seen a beer ad that doesn't say "beer" somewhere.


All of the UK's "if carlsberg did" adverts.

They all end with 'probably the best beer in the world', don't they? And as far as I know, they don't point at other beers.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests