Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SurgicalSteel

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:55 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:
Sandry wrote:
kernelpanic wrote:To the people that say "I only eat organic", I answer with "Sure, no more water for the rest of your life and a couple of cyanide pills. That's what you want, isn't it?"

Look, this side of the argument is just as asinine as the "all natural" type advertising.
Can you explain the nature of your statement? I'm a bit confused.
I think she's saying that the idea that all people that eat organic food are cultists is just as dumb as the idea that all things artificial are bad. I agree.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:58 am UTC

Or the "well, TECHNICALLY, organic means anything with carbon in it" side, perhaps.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:34 am UTC

There are good reasons for eating organic food. "ARTIFICIAL = BAD!!!" is not necessarily one of them, and you may not agree with everything that goes with the 'organic' label (I certainly don't), but the fact remains that there are valid reasons for wanting to eat organic food.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:00 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Or the "well, TECHNICALLY, organic means anything with carbon in it" side, perhaps.

Yum, diamonds!

I mean, ow, diamonds!
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:56 am UTC

Organic food is actually pretty good... Ever since I moved to Seattle, I kind of got swept up in the whole craze. I wouldn't say local organically-grown vegetables are necessarily better than Imported Food of Death, but they're rarely worse.

That's not considering the price, that is.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:37 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Or the "well, TECHNICALLY, organic means anything with carbon in it" side, perhaps.

Mostly this, though, yes, the cultist bit, too.

Yes, re-purposing the meaning of a word that was already well set up is a little silly.

On the other hand, strictly adhering to a definition you know is not the intended one is just juvenile.

Also, making folks you don't see eye to eye with out to be nutjobs who are simple in the head is... the opposite of refreshing.

Rather than playing around with words in stupid ways, I would like to see folks actually come up with useful dietary ideas or plans. I mean this both to the "all natural!" crew who make things with "all natural" ingredients isolated from their usual state to pull out one specific chemical or flavour, then stick them back together to create some wholly new foodstuff as though that's in some way a healthful and natural thing to do to one's food, and to the folks who are all, "oh, you care about anything? Rather than making any even vaguely effort-requiring rebuttal about why I'm not doing anything like you, or just engaging in the topic in any meaningful way, I'll just latch on to this trivial word argument that's essentially me being deliberately obtuse."

Sorry, I didn't mean to get quite that worked up, just if I had a dollar for everyone who said something that essentially translated to "organic? So you just like chowing down on carbon atoms, then? Hurr hurr hurr!" I wouldn't need a job. Hence my being a bit sick of it.

To clarify - I am not actually hugely pro-organic. More pro-local. But I do care about my food, and I work in retail for an employer who does engage in these kinds of areas. So y'know. It comes up for me a fair bit.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:45 am UTC

Would it be worth not having to work if you had to troll through the interwebs looking for and reading organic food flamewars?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:48 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Would it be worth not having to work if you had to troll through the interwebs looking for and reading organic food flamewars?

I think you may have actually suggested something which would be inherently more frustrating than my current job. :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:07 am UTC

Sandry wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Would it be worth not having to work if you had to troll through the interwebs looking for and reading organic food flamewars?

I think you may have actually suggested something which would be inherently more frustrating than my current job. :P

I don't know. I'd find it quite amusing, to be honest.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Robert'); DROP TABLE *;

Postby Robert'); DROP TABLE *; » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

annoying ad.png
I don't THINK a Flash game can do wind effects.
annoying ad.png (43.86 KiB) Viewed 6450 times

OK, maybe not douchebaggery, but still.
...And that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

oagersnap

Postby oagersnap » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

Robert'); DROP TABLE *; wrote:
annoying ad.png

Maybe it's so heavy on the CPU that the fan is going to go into overdrive?

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm UTC

oagersnap wrote:
Robert'); DROP TABLE *; wrote:
annoying ad.png

Maybe it's so heavy on the CPU that the fan is going to go into overdrive?

I'm no expert on computers, but I think that the CPU would melt down into slag before it got the fan to create anything resembling a gale-force wind.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Spots

Postby Spots » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:Here, it is common to show the amounts of certain contents per serving size and per 100g/mL/etc, cause consumers apparently can't do maths.
/angell

Do you also have that little sign on the bottle that says 500ml=2x250 ml? We don't have it here, I saw it somewhere abroad and thought "Oh, no kidding?!"

phlip wrote:... chemicals don't behave differently depending on how you get them.

This is not entirely true. One example are the cis/trans isomers, which can exist in different ratios depending on the source of the compound and they do behave differently. The second is that many of the natural flavors and scents are made up of several (or up to several hundred) different compounds. If the aroma is artificial, it's usually just one dominant compound (perhaps even one that's not present in the natural aroma, but is most similar). It's a good compromise, if you consider the cost, but the end result usually not identical to using natural ingredients.

Triangle_Man wrote:I'm no expert on computers, but I think that the CPU would melt down into slag before it got the fan to create anything resembling a gale-force wind.

Yeah, but they never said anything about keeping your CPU working. ;)
“Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit. We are all the same in this notion: The potential for greatness lives within each of us.” (Wilma Rudolph)

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:54 am UTC

Spots wrote:[...]
phlip wrote:... chemicals don't behave differently depending on how you get them.

This is not entirely true. One example are the cis/trans isomers, which can exist in different ratios depending on the source of the compound and they do behave differently. The second is that many of the natural flavors and scents are made up of several (or up to several hundred) different compounds. If the aroma is artificial, it's usually just one dominant compound (perhaps even one that's not present in the natural aroma, but is most similar). It's a good compromise, if you consider the cost, but the end result usually not identical to using natural ingredients. [...]

He was talking about specific chemicals compounds, not the ones that are almost the same, but the difference between natural and artificial flavoring in your example is that they usually contain different chemicals... The thing with cis & trans isomers would be a valid point if my hastily acquired wikipedia knowledge didn't point out to me that separating them via distillation would almost always be possible.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:25 am UTC

Spots wrote:

This is not entirely true. One example are the cis/trans isomers, which can exist in different ratios depending on the source of the compound and they do behave differently. The second is that many of the natural flavors and scents are made up of several (or up to several hundred) different compounds. If the aroma is artificial, it's usually just one dominant compound (perhaps even one that's not present in the natural aroma, but is most similar). It's a good compromise, if you consider the cost, but the end result usually not identical to using natural ingredients.

In both cases, those are different chemicals, not the same chemicals from different sources...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:33 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:

Yum, diamonds!

I mean, ow, diamonds!

Relevance!
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:05 am UTC

Revlon "Photo ready" foundation. Promises you that "airbrushed look". Maybe it's just me, but I don't think we should be aiming to look that fake in our day-to-day lives.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

GenericPseudonym wrote:
Spots wrote:[...]

This is not entirely true. One example are the cis/trans isomers, which can exist in different ratios depending on the source of the compound and they do behave differently. The second is that many of the natural flavors and scents are made up of several (or up to several hundred) different compounds. If the aroma is artificial, it's usually just one dominant compound (perhaps even one that's not present in the natural aroma, but is most similar). It's a good compromise, if you consider the cost, but the end result usually not identical to using natural ingredients. [...]

He was talking about specific chemicals compounds, not the ones that are almost the same, but the difference between natural and artificial flavoring in your example is that they usually contain different chemicals... The thing with cis & trans isomers would be a valid point if my hastily acquired wikipedia knowledge didn't point out to me that separating them via distillation would almost always be possible.

As well as E/Z isomers (As is the newer name for cis/trans) you can also get chiral isomers, which present a similar problem to the cis/trans but afaik without the ability to distill them off.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:
Sandry wrote:
kernelpanic wrote:To the people that say "I only eat organic", I answer with "Sure, no more water for the rest of your life and a couple of cyanide pills. That's what you want, isn't it?"

Look, this side of the argument is just as asinine as the "all natural" type advertising.
Can you explain the nature of your statement? I'm a bit confused.
I think she's saying that the idea that all people that eat organic food are cultists is just as dumb as the idea that all things artificial are bad. I agree.

What she's saying is that I'm being stupid and pedantic because I know exactly what you mean if you say organic. Which is true, but not as funny.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:09 am UTC

But that's not what someone means when they say organic. You know what the word organic means, sure, presumably better than they do, but you both know what the word is used to mean in that context. I don't like word drift much either, but I think that's all this is.
Also, by the chemical definition of organic (or real definition, if you prefer) water would be out but cyanide would not be mandatory. "I only eat organic" does not mean "I'll eat anything if it's organic" regardless of definition.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:19 am UTC

The chemical definition of organic is wonky anyway, and a corruption of its original meaning if you want to go down that route.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:28 am UTC

Organic food is made from livers, hearts, kidneys and spleens.

ORGANIC FOOD IS PEOPLE! PEOOOOPLE!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:08 am UTC

OT: I find it interesting that in french organic food is called biological food ("biologique", not "organique").

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:07 am UTC

Medicare Supplement Ad: "Half a million seniors can't be wrong!"

Medical News Today: "According to the report, 5.1 million U.S. residents older than age 65 have Alzheimer's."
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

oagersnap

Postby oagersnap » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:55 am UTC

jerome_bc wrote:OT: I find it interesting that in french organic food is called biological food ("biologique", not "organique").

In Danish it's ecological (økologisk), which makes a lot more sense than the other two words for it IMO.

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:32 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Medicare Supplement Ad: "Half a million seniors can't be wrong!"

Medical News Today: "According to the report, 5.1 million U.S. residents older than age 65 have Alzheimer's."

But what if half a million other seniors hold the opposite view? :D
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Medicare Supplement Ad: "Half a million seniors can't be wrong!"

But what if half a million other seniors hold the opposite view? :D

Either way, they both have Alzheimer's.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:Revlon "Photo ready" foundation. Promises you that "airbrushed look". Maybe it's just me, but I don't think we should be aiming to look that fake in our day-to-day lives.

/angell

It's just you.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:Either way, they both have Alzheimer's.

Spoiler:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

Hey, guys? Not cool.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Organic food is made from livers, hearts, kidneys and spleens.

ORGANIC FOOD IS PEOPLE! PEOOOOPLE!

I've never tasted a spleen before. Do they sell those in meatshops?

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:49 am UTC

Let's keep the joking about incurable diseases to a minimum.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:
GhostWolfe wrote:Revlon "Photo ready" foundation. Promises you that "airbrushed look". Maybe it's just me, but I don't think we should be aiming to look that fake in our day-to-day lives.

/angell

It's just you.

Hey, I also preffer people to look like people, rather than realistic-looking mannequins.

EDIT: Note to self: Would Photo-ready foundation make a crappy mannequin look more realistic? Time to ask Science!
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:24 am UTC

OBrien wrote:
Armadillo Al wrote:

/angell

It's just you.

Hey, I also preffer people to look like people, rather than realistic-looking mannequins.

EDIT: Note to self: Would Photo-ready foundation make a crappy mannequin look more realistic? Time to ask Science!

This is apparently a product designed to make you appear lifeless, fake, and generic. I can only assume it makes mannequins look even more like mannequins.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:10 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:I can only assume it makes mannequins look even more like mannequins.

Like photoshopped mannequins, actually. "Look at that! That blush is totally clone stamped onto both cheeks! And that eyeshadow is just a gradient-fill blue at 80% opacity!"

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:
OBrien wrote:
Armadillo Al wrote:

/angell

It's just you.

This is apparently a product designed to make you appear lifeless, fake, and generic. I can only assume it makes mannequins look even more like mannequins.

HAY IT MEANS PEOPLE SEE YOU AS AN OBJECT AND TREAT YOU AS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:15 am UTC

The woman in the "World's Best Cat Litter" commercial is ANNOYING.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

faranim

Postby faranim » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

So as I was driving home from work, I heard this ad on the radio. It opens with the announcer guy explaining how Cell Phone company ads are so confusing. They all claim to be "3x as fast" or "10x as fast" as everyone else. He then goes on to say something like "...you only need to know that AT&T has the fastest wireless broadband network"

Perhaps I am biased because I despise AT&T, and I think their network is garbage. But it seems pretty stupid to mock cell phone ads in a cell phone ad.

Also (unrelated):
http://consumerist.com/2010/12/this-bot ... urate.html
Spoiler:

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:43 am UTC

faranim wrote:But it seems pretty stupid to mock cell phone ads in a cell phone ad.

Remember the tampon commercials that mocked tampon commercials?

oblivimous

Postby oblivimous » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:07 am UTC

I am confused by commercials for televisions that show you how good the picture on the television looks.

Let's get that tv, the picture looks way better than ours does! o wait...

Return to “General”