Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Felstaff » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:25 am UTC

There was some kind of Botox-alternative facial-youngenising treatment in a magazine for old ladies. (What? Can't a guy read a magazine for old ladies when there's no other material to hand?).

I thought "whut...‽" as I saw, in giant capital letters: "A YOUNGER FACE WITH NO PAINFUL INJECTIONS!"

Yet the accompanying photograph clearly showed a woman with a comically giant syringe INJECTING, probably PAINFULLY, half a litre of god-knows-whut into her face. It's barely a 1/2 inch from her eyeball, and yet, she's smiling an advertising smile.

I wanted to make a parody advert for dental work, saying "ABSOLUTELY NO MALLETS INVOLVED IN OUR PROCEDURES!" accompanied by a picture of a crazed dentist with a giant mallet, looming over a terrified child in the dentist's chair.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

ABSOLUTELY NO PLIERS USED!*

*we use vice grips. So much better.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

koneko wrote:the practice of making things not an even dollar amount was to make sure the cashier had to ring up the sale to make change, rather than just pocketing the money.

[Citation Needed]

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

Something that always makes my face bleed in sympathy is shaving cream and razor ads. I suppose they're trying to show how effortless their product works, but they way they have the guy rake the razor across his face at warp speeds makes me shiver. Do that in real life and you'll pass out from blood loss.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

I shave that fast (When I shaved my face, that is. Still shave my neck that fast). I don't cut myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:
koneko wrote:the practice of making things not an even dollar amount was to make sure the cashier had to ring up the sale to make change, rather than just pocketing the money.

[Citation Needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychologi ... al_origins
Second paragraph. Best I could do on short notice.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

I had always heard the first theory listed there, about the newspaper salesman. That's why I was wondering what you had heard. Thanks!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

I realize this is for fallacious and hated ads, but can I just take a moment to express my unholy love for the new Cheetos ad spots?

Chester Cheetah is the goddamn devil, and I love it.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

as he massages a flight attendants shoulders "You have the tools to fix this"...

I really like the "Now What?" commercial line, and as much as I hate to admit it, those "we hired some celebrity to tell this persons car insurance sales story". Despite being a tacit admission that "Your story is only important when told by a famous person", I think they are doing a good job making fun of the famous person.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I think they are doing a good job making fun of the famous person.

With their willing participation, which is 150% awesome. I loved the one with "that guy from the movie previews".
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:as he massages a flight attendants shoulders "You have the tools to fix this"...

"Felicia..... those are her whites in the dryer....." ::suggestive over-the-sunglasses look::

It's brilliant...I just wish I liked cheetos.

They/them

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

There was one ad that came on the radio earlier that had me in fits of laughter. It was an advertisement for a roller coaster. I haven't figured out which one because of the aforementioned fits of laughter. They make it sounds like a good coaster when you hear, "Sixty degree ascents and sixty degree drops... straight down!"
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:as he massages a flight attendants shoulders "You have the tools to fix this"...

"Felicia..... those are her whites in the dryer....." ::suggestive over-the-sunglasses look::

It's brilliant...I just wish I liked cheetos.

There's the neat-freak one, where as the guy screws up a cubicle, and he just urges him along.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

"Jeff.... (barely whispered) Enough..."

Hahaha, man, this is great. Eat cheetos so you too can embrace the warm baritone speaking devil that lurks.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:55 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:Can I point out that the ads about "Fritalian" coffee are... really annoying?

The moral of the ad is "food with foreign names is bad! Go to dunkin' donuts instead!"

Foreign food with foreign names is fine. But branding local food with foreign names to somehow justify your high prices is bloody stupid.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:19 am UTC

I've gotta say, that neat-freak commercial is pure douchebaggery, and irritating as hell. Eat cheetos and be a douchebag, yup -- great theme. There's not even a pseudo-justification for it, like the airplane one where the guy's snoring is at least causing her some discomfort. The guy's personality is just a little unusual -- maybe he's strongly OCD. So it's okay to fuck up his computer?

Sorry, but that sort of mentality is what seems to lead to most of the moronic bullshit people do in all the schools I've ever attended, and is one of my pet peeves.
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

koneko

Postby koneko » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:22 am UTC

I just hate when they call something "New and Improved."
ImageImage

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:25 am UTC

I really hate this^ it annoys me to no end.
*waggles eyebrows*

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:40 am UTC

koneko wrote:I just hate when they call something "New and Improved."

There's a variety of dishwashing detergent sold around here that bears a note on the label showing that it uses a "New and Improved Original Formula".

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:42 am UTC

schmiggen wrote:I've gotta say, that neat-freak commercial is pure douchebaggery, and irritating as hell. Eat cheetos and be a douchebag, yup -- great theme. There's not even a pseudo-justification for it, like the airplane one where the guy's snoring is at least causing her some discomfort. The guy's personality is just a little unusual -- maybe he's strongly OCD. So it's okay to fuck up his computer?

Sorry, but that sort of mentality is what seems to lead to most of the moronic bullshit people do in all the schools I've ever attended, and is one of my pet peeves.

You do realize that most TV commercials are pure, 100%, concentrated evil? I mean it. I'm talking about EVIL(TM), right from the Sinfest comic with the little devil guy.

I swear there's a bottling plant somewhere that meters out doses of vice, sin and evil to put into TV commercials. It's as if the people in them simply have no consciences whatsoever.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:50 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:You do realize that most TV commercials are pure, 100%, concentrated evil? I mean it. I'm talking about EVIL(TM), right from the Sinfest comic with the little devil guy.

I swear there's a bottling plant somewhere that meters out doses of vice, sin and evil to put into TV commercials. It's as if the people in them simply have no consciences whatsoever.

Yeah. When I wrote that I guess I was irked by the (possibly sarcastic/ironic?) glee that others who I have come to respect quite a bit found in those commercials. Am I just an emonerd for not finding anything positive in them? Oddly enough, I'm one of those people who counts Kefka as among his favorite video game characters.
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

swik

Postby swik » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:59 am UTC

It would be pretty awesome to see an advertisement say "Improved by reverting to the old format! Just what the hell were we thinking?"

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:02 am UTC

swik wrote:It would be pretty awesome to see an advertisement say "Improved by reverting to the old format! Just what the hell were we thinking?"

New Coke, anyone?
I'm pretty sure I've seen this actually happen with a breakfast cereal or something, too. Phrased differently, of course.

Also I want to see a commercial with Kefka as a spokesperson now.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:28 am UTC

koneko wrote:I just hate when they call something "New and Improved."

The original phrase "old and retrograde" was dropped at the marketing strategy stage.

I really worry the term "viral marketing" may be taken literally. For eggsample: SmaxoGlithKline releases a virus into the general populace, and then advertises the cure for it. It actually sounds like something a major pharmaceutical company would actually do. In fact, I'm going to write a novel on it right now.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:37 am UTC

"Rainbows End" by Vernor Vinge contains, among other awesome things, literal viral marketing. It's like a Neal Stephenson novel without all the Neal Stephenson getting in the way. And apparently is available for free online.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

schmiggen wrote: Am I just an emonerd for not finding anything positive in them?

No, your sense of humour just isn't calibrated to find a cartoon mascot from one's childhood basically turning into Satan to be delightful. It's funny/pleasing to me in a kindof weird way.

I will admit that the "neat freak" commercial was the weakest of the three, though. Not only was there no vengeance or gain to be taken (just useless spite), but the surreal and vaguely demonic trappings that Chester exhibited in the other two commercials were somewhat absent. I much preferred the laundromat.

They/them

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

There's now a Wendy's radio commercial that claims that "if you can count the strips of bacon and slices of jalapeño on two hands, you don't have enough bacon and jalapeño on your burger". Fuck off, you; I like no more than two strips of bacon on my burger, if any, and I'm certainly not going to ruin it with any of your fucking jalapeño.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
schmiggen wrote: Am I just an emonerd for not finding anything positive in them?

No, your sense of humour just isn't calibrated to find a cartoon mascot from one's childhood basically turning into Satan to be delightful. It's funny/pleasing to me in a kindof weird way.

I will admit that the "neat freak" commercial was the weakest of the three, though. Not only was there no vengeance or gain to be taken (just useless spite), but the surreal and vaguely demonic trappings that Chester exhibited in the other two commercials were somewhat absent. I much preferred the laundromat.

Bah. I thought Chester the Cheetos Cheetah was the embodiment of evil before it became obvious.

What I don't understand is why commercial-makers seem so hellbent on making their characters evil. Why not advertise the way in which a product helps you do something kind for others (excepting jewelry*) or fulfill a moral obligation?

"The New Pepsi makes you and everyone around you so friendly the sun will shine out your ass and couples will spontaneously find true love before your very eyes! YIPPEE SKIPPY!"

* -- Don't even get me fucking started on the sheer misandry of commercials. Apparently, despite a significant fraction of advertising writers being male, it never occurred to them that we men exist for a reason other than to make women happy by catering to their every want and need, including a strange hunger for diamonds they didn't even know they had. When I marry, I'm either giving my wife her birthstone (and if it's a diamond, so be it) or a simple golden ring with a marriage vow or poetic couplet inscribed in the gold. Or if I marry a geekette, an exact copy of the One Ring of Power. Unless she's into dom/sub stuff, in which case I get the One Ring of Power and she can have one of the 3 Elvish rings. I actually just made all this ring stuff up on the spot, but I should remember it.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

What I don't understand is why commercial-makers seem so hellbent on making their characters evil.

Because it's funnier.

"The New Pepsi makes you and everyone around you so friendly the sun will shine out your ass and couples will spontaneously find true love before your very eyes! YIPPEE SKIPPY!"

They did this commercial, but it was for coke. Grand theft auto-style main character stops to get a coke and all of a sudden everything is sunshine and happiness and people getting along. It was amusing. Different strokes.

* -- Don't even get me fucking started on the sheer misandry of commercials.

An equal or possibly greater amount could be said of their misogyny. What it comes to is that ad agencies have nothing but contempt for all of us.

They/them

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

Medication commercials need to be honest.

"Side effects may include suicide or death."

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

They shouldn't have to include death in general. Death in general is a side effect of living.

Now an abnormally high risk of death due to a specific cause, of course...

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Fire Everyone in Marketing!

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Sometimes it seems to me like some companies should just fire everyone in their marketing department and start over. I'm especially looking at Taco Bell. Seriously, are those crappy ads with people making comments about how crunch-tacular the latest product is moving any inventory? Notice how their market share has plummeted over the last 10 years? Comment.
I'll add more companies I think should start over as I remember them.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Re: Fire Everyone in Marketing!

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:19 am UTC

LifeWater needs to fire whoever invented "lizards do the Thriller dance" commercial.

That's supposed to be done by ZOMBIES, damnit! BRRRRAAAIIIINNNSSSS!

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Sometimes, I think fire itself is the best solution to all business related problems. Who's going to argue against fire? It's lawyer is made of fire. FIRE!
多么现在棕色母牛?

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:26 am UTC

They shoulf fire the Muller yoghurt people, "Lick the Lid of Life" what the hell kind of crappy slogan is that, it literally (yes literally) drips lameness out of the TV and onto my eyes.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:28 am UTC

McDonald's needs to go minimalist with their commercials. White text on a black background. Dead silence. "DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER -- $0.99". Then a picture of the cheeseburger. Then another item.

Right now all they have is a bunch of douchebags who make this ridiculous attempt at acting "cool", as if the only thing they learned about acting cool they learned from television commercials from about six years ago.

Also there was this one McDonald's commercial that had this tone-deaf girl singing. "I WANT MY FOOD FRESH AND GREEEEEEEEEEEEN". You nkow when people purposely sing badly for comedy purposes? It was much worse than that. And I guess she probably had some kind of developmental delay if she's asking for "fresh" food at McDonald's. Pretty much every commercial would be a lot better without the ridiculous marketing doublespeak. It's getting to the point of self-parody.

You are fucking McDonald's! You are not healthy! You will never be healthy! Shut the fuck up about your salads! And those god damn three dollar yogurt things!

The moral of this story: torrent your TV shows. It's great.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:34 am UTC

What about that Skittles commercial with the guy who turns things into Skittles just by touching them? It actually seemed rather depressing, and I didn't feel like buying skittles afterwards.

Edit: Just as I thought: a moved thread. Actually, this works better. Good Job!
多么现在棕色母牛?

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:52 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:What about that Skittles commercial with the guy who turns things into Skittles just by touching them? It actually seemed rather depressing
Hmm. Have you played Shade? I mean, in that game it's sand rather than skittles, but it's certainly depressing.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:55 am UTC

JayDee wrote:
benjhuey wrote:What about that Skittles commercial with the guy who turns things into Skittles just by touching them? It actually seemed rather depressing
Hmm. Have you played Shade? I mean, in that game it's sand rather than skittles, but it's certainly depressing.

I may have at one time; it looks awfully familiar.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Not an Evil Robot

Postby Not an Evil Robot » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:00 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:LifeWater needs to fire whoever invented "lizards do the Thriller dance" commercial.

That's supposed to be done by ZOMBIES, damnit! BRRRRAAAIIIINNNSSSS!

Is there even a point or reference in that commercial I'm missing?
Lizard drinks LifeWater
Lizard does Thriller(Does that mean Lizard is now a zombie?)
?
I buy product?

Return to “General”