Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rium

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Rium » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

I often see ads listing three (or more) benefits, X, Y, and Z, of some product, where Y is a consequence of X and Z, and not a direct consequence of using the product. That strikes me as slightly dishonest.

GenericAnimeBoy

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

My favorite commercial fallacy is the one where people in infomercials fail at even the simplest tasks. Video (humorously set to 'The Beatles - Help') here.
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

All the tax preparer ads right now are annoying, but one stands out. There's a guy saying "I was a CFO for 25 years" blah blah blah, bring your taxes to me. Going from long term CFO to a freaking CPA? That's a huge step down. Like, Obama being mayor of Knob Nobster, MO step down.
Last edited by emceng on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:05 am UTC

GenericAnimeBoy wrote:My favorite commercial fallacy is the one where people in infomercials fail at even the simplest tasks. Video (humorously set to 'The Beatles - Help') here.

Sadly, for me, many of those aren't fallacious...

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed May 15, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

Not a logical fallacy, but the message of the Facebook Home commercials IS "people who use this app are gigantic, self-centered douchebags", right? (Don't misunderstand me, I'm sure there are plenty of perfectly lovely people in reality who use it. I'm just talking about the commericals here.)

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed May 15, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:Not a logical fallacy, but the message of the Facebook Home commercials IS "people who use this app are gigantic, self-centered douchebags", right? (Don't misunderstand me, I'm sure there are plenty of perfectly lovely people in reality who use it. I'm just talking about the commericals here.)

That's pretty much how I saw it, especially the girl at the museum ad. It reminded me somewhat of the Burger King commercials from a few years back where one had a guy dive from his moving car (w/ it continuing on to slam into other people's cars) and another had someone ram another car in the drive-through. All to say (apparently) that people are really eager to get those burgers. I'm never sure if I should facepalm or if I should salute a company for the honesty to say "Our customers are assholes."

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed May 15, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

The difference being that someone jumping out of a moving vehicle to get a hamburger-sandwich is obviously absurd. Someone who can't stop thinking about social networking for five god-damn minutes to appreciate something beautiful is all to realistic.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed May 15, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

Rium wrote:I often see ads listing three (or more) benefits, X, Y, and Z, of some product, where Y is a consequence of X and Z, and not a direct consequence of using the product. That strikes me as slightly dishonest.

Doesn't (a=>b, b=>c) => (a=>c) ?

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed May 15, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Ads that have been annoying me recently, though not really logical fallacies:

-One for "Fresh & Easy" food chain which has three strikes against it:
1) Substitutes "F & Easy" instead all but one or two times it comes up in their song, then at the end of the commercial they let the pretense that it just stands for their name slip for a bit when they have someone state it's "fast, fresh, and F'and easy" - come on, guys, you're not even trying!
2) Has as a major thrust "We don't use ingredients you can't pronounce, like polysaturfrappurated lactocrappasorbet", which sounds to me like "Oh me yarm some things have *chemicals*! Chemicals are *bad*!" (Well yeah, you list out the full scientific name for everything and it'll often go over two syllables, get back to me when I should care?)
3) Song is stupidly catchy, so it gets stuck in my head all day and makes me keep going over the things about the lyrics that bug me :P

-Other one for some insurance company or other which is blatantly pandering to local sportsball team fans (background noises of a baseball stadium, etc.) and referencing the SF Giants' past couple years, starts it out with "What's better than winning two world championships in three years? How about...WHOOOOO!...Nothing!" Aside from the fact it has nothing to do with their product, it's trivially false - if the competition's yearly, wouldn't, I don't know, winning three be better? (And that's even ignoring the "World" series only being open, to my knowledge, to any city in the world...that happens to have a Major League Baseball franchise, which only exist in the US?)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed May 15, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:2) Has as a major thrust "We don't use ingredients you can't pronounce, like polysaturfrappurated lactocrappasorbet", which sounds to me like "Gee Willikers some things have *chemicals*! Chemicals are *bad*!" (Well yeah, you list out the full scientific name for everything and it'll often go over two syllables, get back to me when I should care?)

This doesn't bring me comfort, since most of the things that I'm likely to encounter that are in a good position to kill me have pretty short (common) names.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed May 15, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

So, Cheez, sounds more like you're just ranting about the pretenses of MLB rather than the commercial itself.

I see your point through. Not only is three wins better than two, but also...well, I didn't really pay attention to last year, but the Giants winning in 2010 wasn't satisfying at all. The Rangers just fucking GAVE us that series.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

gingermrkettle

Postby gingermrkettle » Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

So the new HTC is better than other phones because it "has an amplifier". Which apparently means that all other phones somehow manage to produce sound entirely passively?

Oh, and playing music out loud from a phone when other people are present makes you a *insert insult of choice* in all circumstances without exception.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Wed May 15, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I've never understood this hang up people have about the World Series. Things have names, those names don't always reflect exactly what they are. It's not called The One and Only Worldwide All Countries Included Baseball Championship to Determine the World's Best Team Bar None No Exceptions America is Number One.

And, yes, those Facebook commercials drive me crazy. They are basically encouraging a culture of awful behavior that already exists.

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed May 15, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

gingermrkettle wrote:Oh, and playing music out loud from a phone when other people are present makes you a *insert insult of choice* in all circumstances without exception.

Without exception? You honestly can't imagine a situation where you might want to be able to play sound from your phone when other people are present?
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed May 15, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Dason wrote:
gingermrkettle wrote:Oh, and playing music out loud from a phone when other people are present makes you a *insert insult of choice* in all circumstances without exception.

Without exception? You honestly can't imagine a situation where you might want to be able to play sound from your phone when other people are present?

Yeah, seriously. Not 30 minutes ago I showed a friend a video on my phone.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed May 15, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

Dason wrote:

Yeah. When someone's at your school giving an anti-drug presentation, sometimes you just want to pull out your phone and play the last 5 seconds of "The Next Episode".
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

gingermrkettle

Postby gingermrkettle » Wed May 15, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

Dason wrote:

Ok, modification. Playing music from your phone when people who are not part of your social group are also present in the same location and are not looking to interact with you, in the manner shown in the advert as an example, makes you a *selected crude comparison*.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu May 16, 2013 5:46 am UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:Ads that have been annoying me recently, though not really logical fallacies:

-One for "Fresh & Easy" food chain which has three strikes against it:
1) Substitutes "F & Easy" instead all but one or two times it comes up in their song, then at the end of the commercial they let the pretense that it just stands for their name slip for a bit when they have someone state it's "fast, fresh, and F'and easy" - come on, guys, you're not even trying!
2) Has as a major thrust "We don't use ingredients you can't pronounce, like polysaturfrappurated lactocrappasorbet", which sounds to me like "Gee Willikers some things have *chemicals*! Chemicals are *bad*!" (Well yeah, you list out the full scientific name for everything and it'll often go over two syllables, get back to me when I should care?)
3) Song is stupidly catchy, so it gets stuck in my head all day and makes me keep going over the things about the lyrics that bug me :P

Their in-store ads have become weird, too. Basically, in their storefront, they have a bunch of ads that are just the Fresh & Easy logo with something fresh "censoring" the "resh" in Fresh, like a bowl of strawberries. I always pretend the ampersand is actually an N, and it's saying "Fuckin' Easy".

Fresh & Easy is about to die off, anyway, or be absorbed by some American company. Tesco couldn't make a profit off of it.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Thu May 16, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

I don't know if it's still around, but last year in Italy there was an ad for toothpaste "inspired by both mouthwash and dental floss". The mouthwash part was basically the minty taste that pretty much every toothpaste has, but the dental floss part showed an animation of streams of toothpaste magically zooming through the gaps between somebody's teeth and cleaning out the inside.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 16, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Dason wrote:

Sound =/= music out loud

I can imagine situations where I would want to make my phone make sounds (ie Video noises) when other people are around.

I cannot imagine a situation where I would want to turn my phone into a boom box when other people are around without putting myself in the position of being a colossal shithead. Both for the previously mentioned noise pollution reasoning, and because I value my phone's battery life too much.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu May 16, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I cannot imagine a situation where I would want to turn my phone into a boom box when other people are around without putting myself in the position of being a colossal shithead. Both for the previously mentioned noise pollution reasoning, and because I value my phone's battery life too much.

I can, but it's *really* specialized. As a ballroom dancer, there have been occassions where I've used my phone for music or seen someone else use their phone for music on a designated practice floor. It's generally pretty clear from context when that would be reasonable and when it would be being obnoxious to the other couples. Even as a dancer though, this is not exactly a routine occurence.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu May 16, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

Lately I've been really aware of commercials that are just "our thing is good", as opposed to any reason that I should buy your thing. Like, if you want to say "we were voted best thing in place" that's fine, but it doesn't mean much when you say your own thing is worth buying.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu May 16, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Their in-store ads have become weird, too. Basically, in their storefront, they have a bunch of ads that are just the Fresh & Easy logo with something fresh "censoring" the "resh" in Fresh, like a bowl of strawberries. I always pretend the ampersand is actually an N, and it's saying "Fuckin' Easy".

Fresh & Easy is about to die off, anyway, or be absorbed by some American company. Tesco couldn't make a profit off of it.

Isn't that the joke? Well, "F'n Easy/effin' easy." I don't know the store, just going by what you both have said. I thought the fact that it sounds/looks like fuck is the point of the ads.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Kind of how k-mart will let you ship your pants?
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu May 16, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:Their in-store ads have become weird, too. Basically, in their storefront, they have a bunch of ads that are just the Fresh & Easy logo with something fresh "censoring" the "resh" in Fresh, like a bowl of strawberries. I always pretend the ampersand is actually an N, and it's saying "Fuckin' Easy".

Isn't that the joke? Well, "F'n Easy/effin' easy." I don't know the store, just going by what you both have said. I thought the fact that it sounds/looks like fuck is the point of the ads.

I don't think that was their intent. I think their intent was "Why say 'fresh' when you can show 'fresh'?"

I personally don't mind the store -- in fact, I love their store brand stuff -- but their attempts to advertise are just plain odd.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri May 17, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

RollingHead wrote:I don't know if it's still around, but last year in Italy there was an ad for toothpaste "inspired by both mouthwash and dental floss". The mouthwash part was basically the minty taste that pretty much every toothpaste has, but the dental floss part showed an animation of streams of toothpaste magically zooming through the gaps between somebody's teeth and cleaning out the inside.

That reminds me of way back when I lived close enough to the Canadian border to get some of their stations on an antenna. They used to have these strange ads for Listerine. It featured people in toothbrush, Listerine bottle, and dental floss costumes. For the longest time, the ads were about floss trying to joining the toothbrush/Listerine team-up and being told he wasn't needed because Listerine was just as good as flossing. (For those worried, yes he was eventually allowed to join them)

The part that makes it relevant here is that at the bottom of the screen (long before he joined the team), in not-so-fine print, was: Floss Daily For Good Oral Hygiene. So - wait! - Listerine is just as good as flossing? Makes flossing irrelevant? ... But make sure you floss anyway because it's still needed? I'm guessing this was their way of skirting any truth-in-advertising laws, but still...

addams

Postby addams » Fri May 17, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Lately I've been really aware of commercials that are just "our thing is good", as opposed to any reason that I should buy your thing. Like, if you want to say "we were voted best thing in place" that's fine, but it doesn't mean much when you say your own thing is worth buying.

Hi;
I do not want to be argumentative;
Yet; In my Heaven, That is what advertisements would be.
"Our Thing is Good. Try it, You'll like it."

Now, That I look at the Words, I see, 'That is Stupid.'
Well; Not Stupid. The, "Try it, 'You'll Like It.' part will get a person into All Manner of Strangeness.
Even in The Best of Places, and Times; The Consumer must use some discretion.

Ask Yourself when exposed to Advertisements.
What draws me to This?

Is it The Colors?
Is There A meme?

What do I Want, That is Inside this Hypnotic Display?
One of My Favorites was a Car advertisement.

The Marketing Majors Own Us All.
(bow when they walk into the room)

Spoilerd for Not being about Douchebags.
(that means it's off topic. But; I felt like typing it.)

Spoiler:
I am an idiot. I think parenthesis marks are like whispering.
And; Spoilers are like walking into a different Room.
I may not know How to think about these things.

Back To The Advertisement.
Not Showered, but Clean.

They leave out The Fine Print.
Doing what is in Commercials will often get a person Dirty.
Then we Need soap from A Soap Box?
Spoiler:
One of many Favorites. It was filmed as Shown to The People.

It was filmed from Inside of a Helicopter.
It was a Car driving down a Fabulous Road!

I didn't Want the Car. I wanted The Road.
I Know Where it IS! I can go there.

I am, sort of, tired of Going There, alone.
Still! It is a Great Road!

Do You Know Why? Why!
Why That road of All the possible Roads was used in The Advertisement?

Blame The Government!
1. The Government paved that Road.
It was a trail for animals, for a Long time.
(people are an animal)
Then, People made it wide enough to Handle a Cart.
Then, People used it for, jeeze, some Light House equipment? (nah. that came by boat.)
One Fine Day; In The Morning, The Government Paved That Road. Yey!

Why?
It took a lot of Days for The Government to teach the Young Hot Shot to fly that Helicopter.
The Government did it. Taught The Hot Shot to fly. yey!
(for the Human Animal to fly is Not as natural as the night. But; It's Great!)

Why, That Road?
The Government sent in Young Hot Shots to look for Marijuana fields in That Area.
Young Hot Shots are Human. too.

Stories say, 'The Hot Shots noticed the beauty, too.'
When back in civilian life, Hot Shots had two marketable skills.
a) They could Fly!
b) They knew where some of the most photogenic roads are.

That road is not as photogenic from the Ground.
It is Still photogenic. It is a strange and Open landscape.

The wind blows so hard and so consistently That nothing other than Grass can grow.
The Waving Grass, The winding Road, The Wide Open Pacific Ocean,

There was One sweet little car driving Gracefully along.
The Music was easy listening Jazz. It looked like Heaven.

I was Sold. I wanted That Road. I found it.
Car Commercials When I came from did that.
Showed the Car from a God Like perspective.

Sometimes the film was Quickened.
(We don't have all day.)
When the film is Quickened it is, kind of, exciting.

It must be Exciting inside that Helicopter!
Driving is much less exciting than Flying.

The Road brakes out of Forest and the View is Stunning.
Some people stand transfixed. A sense of Wonder?

I met a person that was Horrified by That View.
Weird; Right? Most people say they like it.
Some don't.
For some it is a tolerable indulgence.

Advertisement? I sometimes find the Visuals compelling.
Offended by Them? They sell Normal and Happy.

Who does Not want to be Normal and Happy?
ahh. But Who can Afford It? It is For Sale.

The Car can be bought and paid for and Then You are Normal and Happy?

The fine print:
The consumer is Responsible for Registration and Insurance and Fuel.
The consumer is Responsible for safe driving. Do Not attempt to copy the Car in the Advertisement.
That clip has been Quickened! Driving That Road at Those Speeds will get you off in the Meadow of Wrong Doing.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri May 17, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Ashlah wrote:

I don't think that was their intent. I think their intent was "Why say 'fresh' when you can show 'fresh'?"

I personally don't mind the store -- in fact, I love their store brand stuff -- but their attempts to advertise are just plain odd.

Here's the actual ad, for reference:

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 17, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

The failures of this attempt to get the American market will be taught for the next decade in business schools, I think. They tried so hard.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri May 17, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

I almost feel sorry for them. There are rumors that Whole Foods has shown interest in buying the chain; I'm interested in seeing how that'll work out.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri May 17, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

If they had only replaced & with n', they might have avoided some grammar criticisms while maintaining the same level of ineffectiveness.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Fri May 17, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

The Mazda advertising spam is getting to me. "To maintain fuel efficiency without compromising performance we had to redesign everything: Body, suspension, even the wheels." YOU HEAR THAT GUYS!? THEY REINVENTED THE FREAKING WHEEL!!

And to help the matter they were playing the instrumental portions Teenage Wasteland in the background to get the baby boomers and their overrated music appeal.
Then they had all the other requisite not related to car stuff they had to throw in like high jumpers and somehow equating the angle of their jump arc to the line of the wheel well on the car body.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat May 18, 2013 12:33 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:"To maintain fuel efficiency without compromising performance

maintain = keep the same
not compromise = keep the same

Wooooooow, impressive work here, guys.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Sat May 18, 2013 12:38 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:The Mazda advertising spam is getting to me. "To maintain fuel efficiency without compromising performance we had to redesign everything: Body, suspension, even the wheels." YOU HEAR THAT GUYS!? THEY REINVENTED THE FREAKING WHEEL!!

To be fair, I'm sure wheels receive a certain part of the design budget, and they do evolve, without having to reinvent it every time.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue May 21, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

I'm not sure if this one counts here --

Everyone's used to getting junk mail addressed to 'Resident' or 'Occupant'. Last night a bank sent me a mailer addressed:

Resident
Or Current Resident

I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving them my money. Unless this means they've worked out time travel. :) Probably not, though. :(

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue May 21, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

I don't think I've heard of a better opportunity for the "Return to Sender - Not at this address" option.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri May 24, 2013 12:12 am UTC

pkcommando wrote:Current Resident

Your electrical sockets are infested by a malevolent breed of Voltmen. Hark their keening wails.

K-R

Postby K-R » Thu May 30, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UE-VxEu0NI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bNLX4VymO4

Imagine putting up with that twice every commercial break. For the second season of the show this year already.

There's a new one, which I can't find, which proclaims 'for the first time on Masterchef...the WORST. DISH. EVER.' I have no idea how that even works.

eternauta3k

Postby eternauta3k » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

WORST. DISH. EVER.' I have no idea how that even works.
Poop?
VectorZero wrote:It takes a real man to impact his own radius

That's right, slash your emo-wrists and spill all your emo-globin

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:48 am UTC

Another issue with the Mazda commercial:
"Thomas Edison - inventor of over 1000 patents"

Return to “General”