Do you vomit out your nose?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Vomit? Nose? Yes? Maybe?

Yes
30%
No
58%
Otter/Dutch
12%

Total votes: 149

lousy_lemons

Re: Do you vomit out your nose?

Postby lousy_lemons » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:As a residing board member of the illustrious order of the Halls of Vomitrocity, I feel I am somewhat qualified to speak on this matter;
Yes. Vomit has exited from my nostrils. I think it was a combination of trying to keep the puke down, and gag reflex saying 'Fuck no'. It has less to do with the intensity of the puke, and more to do with maladaptive tricks to keep it down.

Unpleasant.

I'll take that last line as a metaphor for life!

I was so hungover this morning. I thought I would feel better by eating two clementines and some oatmeal, but no. You can guess what happened when I tried to resist the forces of the Vom. Life lessons, baby.

MrHemroid

Postby MrHemroid » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:47 am UTC

Today I learned people can vomit out their noses :/
Also, about the "not breathing through nose" thing... I consider myself lucky when I am able to breath through my nose! What I mean by that, is, sometimes it gets all congested and I have no choice but to mouth breath. And yes, I can breath through my mouth exclusively under normal conditions too.

Here are some questions I've been wanted to ask a group of people:
Can you contract your "swallow muscles" when there is something (food or water) in your mouth, without anything going down your throat? I ask because when I go to the dentists I feel an uncontrollable need to do a "swallow motion" but I can do it without swallowing the drugs or whatever they put in my mouth.

Also, another mouth thing, ever choke on your own saliva? I do it all the time. Basically, saliva just builds up constantly and I don't swallow it for awhile (usually I "play with it" by swooshing it around, but that's probably just me), then I try to talk or breath in quickly (forgetting I have all this liquid just sitting in my mouth) and my body tries to drown itself, apparently.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:49 am UTC

I used to get carsick when I was little, and since the car smell was nauseating to me I automatically stop breathing through my nose when entering a car. Didn't know that was an unusual thing.
That being said, I have vomited out my nose once, and it was definitely one of my worse vomit incidents.
I usually don't, though.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:02 am UTC

I have vomited out my nose before, but I haven't vomited for at least five years or so.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 am UTC

Ashlah wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:See, I thought everyone could do this effortlessly because I've always been able to do it effortlessly. To the point where I've gotten cross at people complaining about a smell - "Well just breathe through your mouth instead of your nose then". Never occured to me this might be an unusual ability.

Yeah, exactly. I didn't realize that not everybody did this until college.

Wait wait wait, you're telling me that people don't know how to breath through their mouth? What? That cannot be right.

This.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:23 am UTC

Well, in the op I was referring to being able to close off your nose, particularly to not be able to smell something when breathing. Like if I breathe through my mouth without doing that some air still travels through my nose.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:09 pm UTC

That's strange. I can either breathe through my mouth, or breathe through my nose, but I can't breathe through both of them at the same time. I guess my nose is permanently closed?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:39 pm UTC

I prefer to think of it less as vomiting out my nose and more like accidentally exhaling a flow of noxious chemicals amidst suffering and shame.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:07 pm UTC

You say tomato, I say ew.

Laserdan

Postby Laserdan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

It's really hard to make me puke, but if I do, it's projectile vomiting, and it always lands in the nose, too. Worst thing is when I try to push it out of my nose and there is some small piece of food that goes through the nose into my throat and I reflexively swallow it, I vomit again.

Always the same process. Vomiting is horrible. Horrible.
"Sobriety is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs."

darkwombat

Postby darkwombat » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:14 pm UTC

Urgh. Yes, I have done it. I hate vomiting anyway, but on a particularly memorable occasion I had just consumed a bowl of chicken noodle soup when I discovered that I had a bad case of the flu. Barely made it to the toilet in time, and when I vomited, the noodles came back up. This was the type of soup with particularly long, thin noodles. Some of them went up my nose, some went out my mouth, and a very few tried to do both at once, resulting in me heaving over the toilet bowl, gasping for breath and desperately trying not to dry heave, with vomit-covered noodles hanging partly out of my nose and the other ends dangling down out of my mouth.

Urgh. I'm gonna go repress that memory again now. You all have fun in here! :)

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:41 pm UTC

Last edited by Daimon on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 pm UTC

I haven't vomited in over a decade. But, last i recall, it didn't come out my nose. Therefore, i voted NO.

Also, eeeew.
 Mac User (Running OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS)

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:53 am UTC

You know you're bored when you're browsing 3 year old threads on the xkcd forums...

Anyway I feel my necro-post is justified because I finally figured out about a year ago how to not nose-vomit, which always used to happen when I vomited*. The key variable is head-angle: keep your head up as vertical as possible, at least a 45 degree angle to the horizontal. The traditional head horizontal approach is not the way to do it.

*I have some sort of self-destructively strong vomit reflex - I very rarely vomit, but when I do I always end up straining my intercostal muscles, which makes further vomiting excruciatingly painful, and I have torn a blood vessel in the back of my throat before, and given myself facial petechiae from vomiting.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:48 am UTC

I've never vomited out my nose, but my nose starts running if I vomit. Also, if I eat and sneeze hard at the same time there's a chance whatever I'm eating comes out my nose.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:41 am UTC

I don't so much "vomit out of my nose".
But when I vomit, my nose clogs up, and it's with bits of vomit (I clear it out once I'm finished - it's definitely vomit).

And I try not to think about it.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:59 am UTC

Yeah, my nose all ways runs regardless of whether or not I'm vomiting out of it as well.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Andries

Postby Andries » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:14 am UTC

I notice there's no option for 'ears'.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:30 am UTC

If you're vomiting out of your ears, you should go and see someone...
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:12 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm sure you'd notice any mechanisms necessary for vomit to come out of your ear long before you'd need to vomit. You'd have to have a perforated or completely missing eardrum!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:38 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Yeah, I'm sure you'd notice any mechanisms necessary for vomit to come out of your ear long before you'd need to vomit. You'd have to have a perforated or completely missing eardrum!

I knew a guy once who got a perforated eardrum. They claimed he could blow smoke rings out his ear. I never saw him do it though so unsure if it was true or not.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:54 am UTC

I went ahead and voted 'yes', but it needs qualification. I rarely vomit, but when I do it tends to be the most painful and violent thing to happen to me all year. It's generally also without warning. A few times, I've been totally fine, and watching television or reading a book when I got this odd feeling, and less than five seconds later, I could feel hot stomach contents splash against the backs of my eyes. Let me tell you, that is not a good feeling.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:19 am UTC

Yablo wrote:I went ahead and voted 'yes', but it needs qualification. I rarely vomit, but when I do it tends to be the most painful and violent thing to happen to me all year. It's generally also without warning. A few times, I've been totally fine, and watching television or reading a book when I got this odd feeling, and less than five seconds later, I could feel hot stomach contents splash against the backs of my eyes. Let me tell you, that is not a good feeling.

You have my sympathy - that's how it is for me too, except that I do get warning (a couple of hours of nausea). For most people vomiting seems to be unpleasant, but not much of an event, me: I've never got drunk enough to have even the slightest risk of vomiting, because the thought of maybe vomiting is enough to put me off completely. Also, when I vomit due to norovirus or similar "stomach flu" I find it really hard to stay hydrated - it's a constant battle of sipping enough rehydration salts to get some absorbed, without sipping so much that it makes me vomit again. Getting that balance wrong has put me in the hospital for IV rehydration before* because as soon as I get slightly dehydrated the vomiting gets worse, and then I'm in a basically unrecoverable-at-home downward spiral.

* As a side note - IV fluids when you are severely dehydrated feel amazing. If any of you are doctors or nurses and you happen to be treating someone dehydrated - get them IV fluids like now, because I don't know of any other intervention, save possibly pain relief, that gets somebody feeling better faster.

Andries

Postby Andries » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:49 am UTC

Yablo wrote:I got this odd feeling, and less than five seconds later, I could feel hot stomach contents splash against the backs of my eyes. Let me tell you, that is not a good feeling.

You have opened a whole new set of issues for me.

Sorry to hear, though. It sounds horrible :(

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:51 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:As a side note - IV fluids when you are severely dehydrated feel amazing. If any of you are doctors or nurses and you happen to be treating someone dehydrated - get them IV fluids like now, because I don't know of any other intervention, save possibly pain relief, that gets somebody feeling better faster.

On a normal day, I have to pay at least a little attention to hydration. Twice, it's been bad enough to put me in the hospital for that very thing, and I completely agree. Spend a month drinking everything you can to get and stay hydrated - still dry out and feel drained and miserable; spend an hour with fluids dripping directly into your system - back to normal. When you've felt bad long enough to get used to it, "normal" is actually closer to awesome.

As a side not of my own - I once needed two packets of blood from an IV, and I could tell they had recently been pulled from a cold storage. I felt the cold creep up my arm to my shoulder, and then turn to move lower. When it hit my heart, I could feel it spread everywhere, and that was a unique feeling.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:42 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Yeah, I'm sure you'd notice any mechanisms necessary for vomit to come out of your ear long before you'd need to vomit. You'd have to have a perforated or completely missing eardrum!

I've never had it come out of my ears, but it's managed to get in there. Same deal with my nose.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:33 pm UTC

So, I had a violent bout of vomiting last night (food poisoning FTL), and I can confidently say that I do NOT vomit out my nose, even a little bit.

Vomiting does make my nose run, though, and in this case I was congested and had a cold, and vomiting sort of expelled all the snot, so the one nice side effect of vomiting is that I could breathe through my nose afterward.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:17 pm UTC

I have never vomited out of my nose. In fact, I was unaware that it was even possible, before I read this thread. Logically, it makes sense, but it was a possibility I'd never considered. I am horrified that it is possible. I am one of the lucky ones, for whom vomiting (when, say, seasick) can be an easy non-event.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:07 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:I am one of the lucky ones, for whom vomiting (when, say, seasick) can be an easy non-event.

Even though for me vomiting is really horrible, I'm not sure I'd trade for your situation - because I've never, ever gotten the least bit motion sick under any circumstances short of a fairground ride (and then it was only slight nausea).

It's just so convenient to be able to read or use a laptop whether I'm in a car, train or boat, regardless of whether I'm facing backwards, forwards or sideways and however rough the ride is. This ability makes me very popular with anybody I go sailing with - I have no problems going below and doing chart and compass navigation whatever the weather is like (I haven't tested this in a full-on Atlantic squall, so it's possible that I do have limits, but I haven't reached them yet).

Return to “General”