REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Random832
Posts: 2525
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Random832 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Yeah, discuss feminism in the feminism thread. I'll pointedly ignore the hell out of anyone insisting on continuing to harp on it here.

Fine - see my reply on FaiD (in a nutshell: I got all bent out of shape over nothing because I incorrectly assumed you were talking to me in your reply to my post and oh by the way topic search is broken[/size])

As for burgers, I will admit to quite liking the Aussie/Kiwi trend of putting all sorts of other interesting shit on burgers. Beetroot, pineapple, etc.


There was a chicken sandwich with pineapple at hardees recently - gone now though.

User avatar
oxoiron
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby oxoiron » Thu May 21, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:(incidentally - they have waffle fries? why don't we get waffle fries in Hardees territory?)
Misconception: One should worry about the unavailability of waffle fries in Hardee's territory when seasoned curly fries are on their menu.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Random832
Posts: 2525
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Random832 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

oxoiron wrote:
Random832 wrote:(incidentally - they have waffle fries? why don't we get waffle fries in Hardees territory?)
Misconception: One should worry about the unavailability of waffle fries in Hardee's territory when seasoned curly fries are on their menu.


Yeah but *whine* the curly fries cost extra - whereas Carls Jr apparently has waffle fries instead of straight fries.

Plus in my experience curly fries (not just from Hardees) are just a little bit unreliable as far as doneness is concerned, since there's the ones that are in a tight spiral vs the ones that are just sort of curved, and i suspect those cook differently.

User avatar
muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:02 am UTC
Location: William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby muteKi » Fri May 22, 2009 3:55 am UTC

Eh, kinda glad we got off that to be honest. Sorry if I was a little confusing -- that seems to happen a lot with me. (I go off on tangents a lot and will admit I say some very radical things at times as well, sometimes just to see if I can put forth a decent argument.)

===========================

Hm, I usually enjoy curly fries enough myself, though the only place I can easily find them is Arby's. Haven't been to a Hardee's in ages...only once since they got bought out by Carl's, and I've never been there. Recall it being decent, actually.

===========================


For the sake of staying on-topic, I suppose if I'm going to go for a decent misconception I, or at least people I know, have faced, it's that free and/or open-source software is inherently worse than commercial/closed software, in all cases. More schools, especially low-budget ones, ought to run Linux rather than Windows licenses.

Also that a program sucks if it has an interface that can't be fully understood without looking at even a little documentation.
Image

User avatar
Dibley
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:00 pm UTC
Location: Napa Valley, California
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Dibley » Fri May 22, 2009 4:21 am UTC

Well, most teachers are not computer savvy, but that shouldn't be too big an issue if you're using, say, Ubuntu.

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Grop » Fri May 22, 2009 10:16 am UTC

(Re: américain, a French sandwich).

Axman, maybe the misconception here is to think that américain sandwiches are supposed to be sold to Americans, or to be related to how Americans like their sandwiches. Obviously this is a French thing, and it sells well.

(Thank you and Belial for the feedback, because I was confused).

Random832
Posts: 2525
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Random832 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

Grop wrote:(Re: américain, a French sandwich).

Axman, maybe the misconception here is to think that américain sandwiches are supposed to be sold to Americans, or to be related to how Americans like their sandwiches.


Well, it is named after America. From the description, it seemed clear that it's a parody of a burger.

muteKi wrote:For the sake of staying on-topic, I suppose if I'm going to go for a decent misconception I, or at least people I know, have faced, it's that free and/or open-source software is inherently worse than commercial/closed software, in all cases. More schools, especially low-budget ones, ought to run Linux rather than Windows licenses.


There are several problems with that. First of all, while there is certainly decent word processing software for Linux, it's not Microsoft Word, and schools feel (right or wrong) they need to teach students MS Office because that is what they will encounter in the real world. And it's certainly NOT a misconception that [some] users are stupid enough that the slightest difference from what they learned on will screw them up. I suspect that the Ribbon is probably the best thing to ever have happened to OpenOffice, just because it means that OO is more similar to Office 2003 than MS Office ever will be again.

Second, the schools may already be heavily invested in e.g. grade tracking systems that only work on Mac and Windows.

Third, most computers already come with a windows license (and it's probably not as easy as you'd think to build a computer for less than the cheapest computers you can buy; because the extent to which they cut costs on the case, power supply, etc, means you can't buy parts that cheap because they suck and people who build computers don't want crappy cheap parts)

User avatar
Axman
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Axman » Fri May 22, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

Actually, if I may be so blunt, it's that there's this misconception that French cooking is by grace better. Now, I can only speak of the Lorraine valley (Metz, Nancy, Verdun, Strasbourg, in a way, Luxembourg) where my family lives, but the food here is at best lazy and more realistically, crappy. This is not the France I remember. Asking around, people eat at home because dinner out just isn't worth the time or money. I wouldn't believe me if I'd told myself this last month, but I'm looking forward to Denver food when I get back. Gonna eat me some tikka masala or if it's nice and warm, maybe a big plate of unagi.

Oh, and the pizza here is pure shit.

User avatar
Orca
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:44 am UTC
Location: Sea

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Orca » Fri May 22, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

(Probably was mentioned but 74 pages was long)
Misconception: Hackers.

People constantly think just because someone can hack, they're hackers that the everyday person deals with. The ones who attack your computer, make viruses, sometimes idiotically try to get into government computers.
People never realize that some people who can hack, don't do so for personal gain.
If you start an argument over whether "they" "them" and "their" can be used as gender neutral singular pronouns, in this thread, I will do terrible, terrible things to you.
-Belial

User avatar
Split Phallus Boil
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:01 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Split Phallus Boil » Fri May 22, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

I hate how ladies assume just because I'm ridiculously hot and probably the epitome of humankind, that I want to have sex with them.
A strange silence permeates the room during the 4th period Algebra 2/Trig final. The teacher walks out of the room. A lone rebel pipes up:
"Penis. Haha. Yeah, penis."
Unrestrained laughter ensues.

Brwagur
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:51 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Brwagur » Fri May 22, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

Misconception: All gay guys are artsy and into high culture.

God, I wish. Number of queers i know (besides me) who listen to opera. Zero. And someone needs to tell them that reading a decent book isn't going to kill them, either. Sorry, I'm just getting a little frustrated; obviously, this isn't the rule. We probably just have illiterate queers here in Idaho.
That there is an 80's cell. See, it's got plasma legwarmers.

User avatar
zaqwithaq
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 10:19 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby zaqwithaq » Sat May 23, 2009 6:19 am UTC

There is only one type of jazz...and just because people hear cheesy ambient easy listening stuff, they think all jazz is crap. PICK UP SOME ELLINGTON FOR GOD'S SAKES!!!
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Split Phallus Boil
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:01 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Split Phallus Boil » Sat May 23, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

Brwagur wrote: We probably just have illiterate queers here in Idaho.


Idaho has "queers"? Represent.
A strange silence permeates the room during the 4th period Algebra 2/Trig final. The teacher walks out of the room. A lone rebel pipes up:
"Penis. Haha. Yeah, penis."
Unrestrained laughter ensues.

User avatar
Kurushimi
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Kurushimi » Sat May 23, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

The fact that I go to HackThisSite.org means I want to be a 1337 h4xx0r and hack into systems and stuff.

Also,the fact that you are a little more educated on a particular subject than the general public means you have the right to be a pretentious a-hole.

Srsly.

Brwagur
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:51 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Brwagur » Sun May 24, 2009 12:57 am UTC

zaqwithaq wrote:There is only one type of jazz...and just because people hear cheesy ambient easy listening stuff, they think all jazz is crap. PICK UP SOME ELLINGTON FOR GOD'S SAKES!!!

Or even Billie Holiday, I LOVE "Strange Fruit" and "All of Me".
That there is an 80's cell. See, it's got plasma legwarmers.

Tatshua
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Tatshua » Sun May 24, 2009 9:14 am UTC

Kurushimi wrote:The fact that I go to HackThisSite.org means I want to be a 1337 h4xx0r and hack into systems and stuff.

Also,the fact that you are a little more educated on a particular subject than the general public means you have the right to be a pretentious a-hole.

Srsly.


I've seen people being pretentious a-holes about subjects they don't even know anything about. They just assume that they are right, even though they're obviously not.

User avatar
Alpha Omicron
Posts: 2765
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 1:07 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat May 30, 2009 3:51 am UTC

Orca wrote:People never realize that some people who can hack, don't do so for personal gain.
Misconception: "Hack" means what you think it means. See The Jargon File.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Random832
Posts: 2525
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Random832 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:39 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Orca wrote:People never realize that some people who can hack, don't do so for personal gain.
Misconception: "Hack" means what you think it means. See The Jargon File.
Misconception: Lexicography fails to march on. http://www.answers.com/hack

User avatar
lulzfish
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:17 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby lulzfish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:12 am UTC

This has probably been posted, but it's not really my job to trawl through old posts:

The misconception that Macintoshes are not Personal Computers simply because Apple makes them.
Worse yet, some idiot on YouTube [redundant, sorry] told me that PCs have to x86 as well.

So an x86 PC running Linux is a PC.
An ARM PC running Linux is not a PC.
An x86 PC running OS X is not a PC.
An Apple x86 PC running Windows is not a PC.

Such freaking arbitrary rules, and they completely ignore the actual acronym: PERSONAL COMPUTER
It's a computer for the personal use of one or maybe two people.

Architecture, OS, and manufacturer shouldn't have jack to do with this.
And Apple and Microsoft perpetuate it for some odd reason.

User avatar
Gears
Bulletproof
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:31 am UTC
Location: Japan

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Gears » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Misconception: That I give a shit.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26767
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:33 am UTC

Evidently that rant just means PC has come to mean something more specific than "personal computer". Just like DOS usually means something more specific than "disk operating system"...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
lulzfish
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:17 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby lulzfish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:10 am UTC

DOS gets so little use anymore that anybody who cares to mention it will specify MS-DOS or FreeDOS or DDOS... Which is another thing entirely.

User avatar
el_loco_avs
Posts: 1294
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:48 am UTC

And people talking about windows could totally be talking about those glass things in their walls. So confusing :wink:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

User avatar
Axman
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Axman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:37 am UTC

Apple was the first company to call it the personal computer, too.

Brooker
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:37 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Brooker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:And people talking about windows could totally be talking about those glass things in their walls. So confusing :wink:


I saw a van for a conservatory and windows company called windows 2000 this morning. I have to admit i laughed and got some odd looks.

User avatar
Nemphael
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Nemphael » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Misconception: MP3 is one of the largest music files, which is in CD quality. Same thing about DVDs and "avi".

User avatar
Alpha Omicron
Posts: 2765
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 1:07 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:Misconception: MP3 is one of the largest music files, which is in CD quality. Same thing about DVDs and "avi".
Do you mean that it's a misconception that .mp3 is one of the highest-quality music filetypes? That's true, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to say.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

User avatar
Nemphael
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Nemphael » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Nemphael wrote:Misconception: MP3 is one of the largest music files, which is in CD quality. Same thing about DVDs and "avi".
Do you mean that it's a misconception that .mp3 is one of the highest-quality music filetypes? That's true, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to say.

That too, but the guy I was debating used the argument, "mp3 files are usually the largest". Seriously, he said that. I mean, what the hell, he said neither MP3 nor DivX/XviD (But liked to refer to them av "avis") uses any sort of compression and were DVD copies. Not rips, copies. "Without subtitles and stuff, they ARE around 700MB. It's just that DVDs CAN hold 4GB of data.".

Random832
Posts: 2525
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Random832 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

DVDs aren't exactly huffyuv themselves, either. 720x480 at 24-bit color at 29.97 frames/second = 31 megabytes/second, an hour of which would be over 100 gigabytes.

kapojinha
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:13 am UTC
Location: USA

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby kapojinha » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

Just because someone doesn't speak a language, doesn't mean they can't speak or understand it.
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

User avatar
Kurushimi
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Kurushimi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

I'm sorry, but I lost you. Just because someone doesn't speak a language doesn't mean they can't speak it? Or understand it?

Well, I'd say being able to speak a language would greatly help your ability to understand it. (and it would be an even greater help to your ability to speak it).

I'm kidding. But seriously, could you clarify a bit?

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Whelan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

Well, you can understand a language without being able to speak it, just look at my mum trying to speak Welsh. And you can understand written language as well, with no idea how it would be pronounced.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

kapojinha
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:13 am UTC
Location: USA

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby kapojinha » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

Kurushimi wrote:I'm sorry, but I lost you. Just because someone doesn't speak a language doesn't mean they can't speak it? Or understand it?

Well, I'd say being able to speak a language would greatly help your ability to understand it. (and it would be an even greater help to your ability to speak it).

I'm kidding. But seriously, could you clarify a bit?


I'm saying that's an annoying misconception. Someone DOESN'T speak a language, as in.. they choose not to speak it. A lot of Thai people assume that I can't speak Thai, despite the fact that I am half Thai and I live in Thailand. The only real basis for this assumption is that they've never heard me speak it. I hate that because they then proceed to talk about me in Thai within hearing distance, and assume that I don't understand them, when really, I understand everything, because I'm fluent.
Last edited by kapojinha on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

User avatar
Kurushimi
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Kurushimi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Ah, I follow you now. That sounds like it'd get annoying.

User avatar
Naurgul
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:50 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Naurgul » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

kapojinha wrote:I'm saying that's an annoying misconception. Someone DOESN'T speak a language, as in.. they choose not to speak it. A lot of Thai people assume that I can't speak Thai, despite the fact that I am half Thai and I live in Thailand. The only real basis for this assumption is that they've never heard me speak it. I hate that because they then proceed to talk about me in Thai within hearing distance, and assume that I don't understand them, when really, I understand everything, because I'm fluent.
In my book, that's not a "REALLY Annoying Misconception". If anything, it works to your advantage. Would you rather they did their gossip in a language you don't understand?
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

Kurushimi wrote:I'm sorry, but I lost you. Just because someone doesn't speak a language doesn't mean they can't speak it? Or understand it?

Well, I'd say being able to speak a language would greatly help your ability to understand it. (and it would be an even greater help to your ability to speak it).

I'm kidding. But seriously, could you clarify a bit?
Granted, she clarified, but there are anecdotes of individuals who immigrate to the US and proceed to have their fluent English-speaking kids translate for them, not because they cannot speak or understand English, but because they aren't fluent and have a heavy accent, or at least one that causes them to get asked "What?" a lot, and as a result are self-conscious of it. So, yeah, they are capable of speaking English and understand it fine while not speaking the language at all.

So, yeah, if there's someone living in an area, it's a fair bet that they understand the common tongue, or at least enough to get by, even if they never speak the language.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Kurushimi
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Kurushimi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

Well, yeah, I know. My brother can understand 10x more Igbo than he can speak. (I just didn't see how that would be an annoying misconception).

User avatar
Nemphael
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Nemphael » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:39 am UTC

Speaking of language, how come nobody has mentioned programming languages? Certainly easier to understand than write no matter what?

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8534
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Zohar » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:46 am UTC

Nemphael wrote:Speaking of language, how come nobody has mentioned programming languages? Certainly easier to understand than write no matter what?

You mean, being able to read code is easier than writing it? I disagree. At least in general. Badly written code can be a real bitch to understand. Sometimes so much so that's it's easier to just write it yourself.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
lulzfish
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:17 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby lulzfish » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

Here's a misconception about programming:

That it's a good idea to use spaces instead of tabs, so that you can force your opinion of how long an indent "ought" to be on someone else, and they can't do jack shit because it would be too much trouble.

Just use tabs, and change the width to your liking. I don't see any reason why typing 4 or 8 characters or whatever you like is better or simpler than just typing one and adjusting it to your personal preference.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], New User and 15 guests