REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26766
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:45 pm UTC

Kineticka wrote:I think the fruit is a durian? It smells awful, but tastes amazing.

Yes, that's it.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Dibley
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:00 pm UTC
Location: Napa Valley, California
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Dibley » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

And it doesn't smell like rotting meat. It does smell like rotting onions/garlic/garbage in general. They also make durian ice cream, which, unfortunately, actually tastes like it smells.

User avatar
Maseiken
The Candylawyer
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Maseiken » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:15 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:But that's as clumsy as all fuck.

Fine, be grammatically imperfect, See if I care.
davef wrote:
Maseiken wrote:I'm waiting for someone top bring up Murphey's law so I can debunk the common misconception about that...

Misconception - There's an 'e' in Murphy.

Well, crap.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

User avatar
Kineticka
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:40 pm UTC
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Kineticka » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:15 am UTC

Dibley wrote:And it doesn't smell like rotting meat. It does smell like rotting onions/garlic/garbage in general. They also make durian ice cream, which, unfortunately, actually tastes like it smells.


At a Cold Stone ice cream place by my fiance's house, they used to have a wasabi and ginger flavored ice cream. It was god-awful.

User avatar
Maseiken
The Candylawyer
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Maseiken » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:17 am UTC

Cold stone? Isn't it Cold Rock? Or is that the Australian equivalent?
Either way, Orange Sorbet with skittles for me!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

User avatar
Razzle Storm
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:17 am UTC
Location: Beijing, China
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Razzle Storm » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:58 am UTC

Kineticka wrote:I think the fruit is a durian? It smells awful, but tastes amazing.


The misconception is actually just that Durian smells horrible while tasting delightful. It tastes worse than it smells. If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it was like eating a soggy onion that had been around a dead animal carcass for a week.

Someone else who has eaten it back me up on this.

Oh, also; Misconception: When you find out my name is Jerimiah (spelled with an "i", I know), it is perfectly acceptable to break out into a rendition of the first verse "Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night.

Truth: No, it is not acceptable. You are not being original when you sing this song. I have heard it more than you. I have heard it more than your parents or your grandparents or anyone else in your family (unless you're related to a member of the band). I can sing the entire song. In fact, if you only stop at the end of the first verse, I will sing the rest of the song, and will not pause when you interrupt me, but sing even louder. Also, if you stop and say, "bet you don't get that a lot, huh?" when you finish you're two lines of song, I will not play along, and will ask why the hell you just broke out into song for no apparent reason. When you say, "It's a song. Haven't you heard of it?" I will ask who it is by and the name of the song. God help you if you say it is called "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog".

GOD HELP YOU.

User avatar
unjovial
Note to Belial: Is Female
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:40 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa/New Zealand
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby unjovial » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:45 pm UTC

Razzle Storm wrote:
Kineticka wrote:I think the fruit is a durian? It smells awful, but tastes amazing.


The misconception is actually just that Durian smells horrible while tasting delightful. It tastes worse than it smells. If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it was like eating a soggy onion that had been around a dead animal carcass for a week.

Someone else who has eaten it back me up on this.

.


Actually, my experience with the Durian (now that I know what it's called) was having tasted it before I really smelled it. My flatmate asked me "Do you mind this smell?" and I replied that I could barely smell it and then I had a taste and thought "mm, weird, kinda nice, but I don't want it again". That was when it was chilled. Once she left some on a plate for 20 minutes and our whole house smelled like rotting mince for three days.

[Edit] Oh, I have an annoying misconception to share, too.

That being single for 2 years is a sad thing and that I deserve some kind of sympathy, encouragement or reassurance that I'll meet someone soon. And furthermore, when I explain that I don't expect or hope a relationship to fulfil me, I'm then pitied because I'm obviously so embittered by my experiences and I've lost faith in the power of true love!
Um, no, idiot, I'm saying that I'm not part of another person - merely waiting to be completed, and it's a very positive thing in my life to acknowledge this. Dick.

User avatar
Razzle Storm
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:17 am UTC
Location: Beijing, China
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Razzle Storm » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

unjovial wrote:
Razzle Storm wrote:
Kineticka wrote:I think the fruit is a durian? It smells awful, but tastes amazing.


The misconception is actually just that Durian smells horrible while tasting delightful. It tastes worse than it smells. If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it was like eating a soggy onion that had been around a dead animal carcass for a week.

Someone else who has eaten it back me up on this.

.


Actually, my experience with the Durian (now that I know what it's called) was having tasted it before I really smelled it. My flatmate asked me "Do you mind this smell?" and I replied that I could barely smell it and then I had a taste and thought "mm, weird, kinda nice, but I don't want it again". That was when it was chilled. Once she left some on a plate for 20 minutes and our whole house smelled like rotting mince for three days.


Aha! Chilled! Maybe that's the answer to that problem then.

User avatar
Vanguard
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm UTC
Location: Away from you

Re:

Postby Vanguard » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:48 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Ladies thinking that, just because I am a guy, I automatically want to have sex with them.

I get that, and it comes with "Because he's not hitting on me, he must be gay" assumption.
Image

User avatar
MrHackman
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:21 pm UTC
Location: At the Mad Hatter's tea party. Have some wine.

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby MrHackman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

really annoying misconception: when I get a haircut, I don't know it, and so every person I meet must say to me "You got a haircut!"

Maybe I should just shave my head, and wear a sign that says "Yes, I know I'm bald. I was there when it happened"

Vanguard wrote:I get that, and it comes with "Because he's not hitting on me, he must be gay" assumption.

I have the opposite problem; I'm gay, but because I believe in chivalry, women think I'm straight.
Last edited by MrHackman on Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times seven is fourteen, what base is next? And more importantly, who is doing the calculation? :)

User avatar
Vanguard
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm UTC
Location: Away from you

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Vanguard » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

MrHackman wrote:really annoying misconception: when I get a haircut, I don't know it, and so every person I meet must say to me "You got a haircut!"


To which you reply with: "No, I got my hairs cut."

Bwhaha.
Image

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26766
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

unjovial wrote:That being single for 2 years is a sad thing and that I deserve some kind of sympathy, encouragement or reassurance that I'll meet someone soon. And furthermore, when I explain that I don't expect or hope a relationship to fulfil me, I'm then pitied because I'm obviously so embittered by my experiences and I've lost faith in the power of true love!

Yeah, I'm annoyed by this misconception as well. I mean, sure, I sometimes feel a bit lonely not having a specific SO to share some experience with, and I do like sex (the lack of which for an equal amount of time is likely to garner more sympathy/pity/mocking from men than the being single, by the way). But I'm really pretty content being single.

Of course, I think the average perspective on such things is probably quite a bit different in this forum than it is in the general population.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

lolzstuff
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby lolzstuff » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

Misconception: Because I'm from Turkey, I'm a terrorist.
Or Muslim.
Or smelly.
:?

Robin S
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Robin S » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

That's like saying "Misconception: because I'm Jewish, I am tight with money". While it is occasionally true that I am tight with money, this has more to do with the fact that I'm a university student than with my ethnicity. Also, being a student means that I am fortunate in that the people I know personally are generally intelligent and do not have the above misconception (I do occasionally bump into such people, however).
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

User avatar
sunkistbabe1
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:03 pm UTC
Location: Shuswap, BC, Canada

Re: Re:

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:
Jesster wrote:Ladies thinking that, just because I am a guy, I automatically want to have sex with them.

I get that, and it comes with "Because he's not hitting on me, he must be gay" assumption.



Or, because I am not interested in someone who is hitting on me, they think I'm gay.
- Sunkist -

Robin S
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Robin S » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:05 pm UTC

That reminds me of an interesting experience that I had on my way back from a fireworks party about a month ago. I was visiting my family with my girlfriend for the weekend, and had got into an argument with the family and thus was walking a few metres ahead. A couple of girls, not too far from my own age, were walking on the other side of the street when one of them basically said "Excuse me, will you be my boyfriend?" I assumed they were having a laugh at my expense on the basis of my appearance and/or the fact that I was by myself, but nevertheless replied "actually, my girlfriend's right there" (pointing in her direction), to which the girl replied along the lines of "forget about her". The fact that people actually follow up in ridiculous situations like this still makes me wonder.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

User avatar
Kineticka
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:40 pm UTC
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Kineticka » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

From what I understand, durians taste different at different stages of being ripe. Chilled and just ripe enough (god only knows what point that is -- the one time I had it, it had to be luck of the draw), it tasted a bit like a custard and something I couldn't quite identify. But it still smelled like ass.

User avatar
MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:09 pm UTC
Location: Saint Joseph, CA
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby MotorToad » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:08 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:More like, if something could go wrong, it will.... eventually.

I prefer the 50/50/90 rule. If you have a 50% chance of an outcome, 90% of the time it'll be the wrong one.

BTW, in school I was taught that "crud" was from "Crystal River Unidentified Deposits," a nuclear power plant that had a bit of an issue with metal bits floating in the coolant. Wiki doesn't say anything to back me up, but I don't see any reason to doubt it.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26766
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:34 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:BTW, in school I was taught that "crud" was from "Crystal River Unidentified Deposits," a nuclear power plant that had a bit of an issue with metal bits floating in the coolant. Wiki doesn't say anything to back me up, but I don't see any reason to doubt it.

Nope.

It just comes from the same Middle English (or Old English) word as "curd", as in, what happens to milk when you let it sit.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Vandole
Posts: 845
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:04 am UTC
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Vandole » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:41 am UTC

unjovial wrote:That being single for 2 years is a sad thing and that I deserve some kind of sympathy, encouragement or reassurance that I'll meet someone soon. And furthermore, when I explain that I don't expect or hope a relationship to fulfil me, I'm then pitied because I'm obviously so embittered by my experiences and I've lost faith in the power of true love!
I wish I could be like that. It's a lot better than depending on a significant other for your happiness (a situation I seem to have myself stuck in)
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

User avatar
xooll
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:11 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby xooll » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:53 am UTC

Once my physics professor brought in some durian to class because he was raving about how good it was. Then after a little while someone came in and said he thought there might've been a gas leak.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

User avatar
Dingbats
Posts: 921
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:46 pm UTC
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Dingbats » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:11 am UTC

Misconception: Because I'm shy I need to be complimented for doing well every time I've spoken out in public, even if I didn't do well.

User avatar
loratwopointone
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:19 am UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby loratwopointone » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:28 am UTC

Annoying misconception: Because I'm unemployed I'm lazy and a scrounger. I'm trying so hard to find a job!
Goth Juice - The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.

User avatar
jamanjaman
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:10 am UTC
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby jamanjaman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

Misconception: Math majors are boring and socially inept. Come on!

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26766
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

jamanjaman wrote:Misconception: Math majors are boring and socially inept. Come on!

Yeah. Some also have really off-putting personal hygiene. :-)

(Which I guess could actually just count as part of being socially inept...)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
oxoiron
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby oxoiron » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
jamanjaman wrote:Misconception: Math majors are boring and socially inept. Come on!

Yeah. Some also have really off-putting personal hygiene. :-)

I know some European and Indian chemists whose hygiene, or lack thereof, makes it almost intolerable to work with them. Sadly, this is not a joke. :(
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Klye
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:05 am UTC
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Klye » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:10 am UTC

misconception: all lights in a room must be in the "on" position for a laptop to operate properly.

the roomate can't seem to figure out his laptop screen produces illumination.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:40 am UTC

It is a lot easier on the eyes though.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
oxoiron
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby oxoiron » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

Unless you're the one trying to sleep ( I think that was what he was getting at).
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

User avatar
Maseiken
The Candylawyer
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Maseiken » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:30 pm UTC

I once slept with all the lights on, I dreamt I was in heaven, and everything was glowy.

Yay for stimulus!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

User avatar
The Kotep
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:36 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby The Kotep » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:32 am UTC

Misconception-
I'm smart in my Physics class and somewhat skinny, so whenever I do anything in Phys Ed, I either need to be congratulated or encouraged to do better. I'm freaking fine at sports. Just cause I can trace a volleyball's path when you apply 20 N of force to it doesn't mean that I can't get it when it's coming near me.
Martivir thric gixustratt Kotep.

User avatar
DemonHybrid
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:34 am UTC
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby DemonHybrid » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:51 am UTC

I have to agree with all the "if you know some stuff about computers, you know it all" talk....it's gotten so intense.
"If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free mind is not a barking dog, to be tethered on a ten-foot chain."
-Adlai E. Stevenson Jr.

User avatar
Vanguard
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm UTC
Location: Away from you

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Vanguard » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm UTC

DemonHybrid wrote:I have to agree with all the "if you know some stuff about computers, you know it all" talk....it's gotten so intense.


Woot, not the only one. I can do basic software maintanance (my knowledge doesn't go very far past Add/Remove programs) and we had a computer problem the other day and my brother, for some reason, said "Well you try, you know this stuff."

To which I replied with a rock to the back of his head. In my mind.
Image

User avatar
Kineticka
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:40 pm UTC
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Kineticka » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

People who immediately assume that someone living in New York is a jackass/toting a weapon.

I was on the bus the other day, and got into a pretty good conversation with the woman next to me, who was from out of state. About halfway through, she asked where I was from, and would not believe me when I told her I was from Brooklyn. It looked like I shook the foundations of her brain. And then she asked me if I had a gun.

*Facepalm*

Although in retrospect, there can be ways to play this misconception to an advantage. Rough situation out of state? Bluff and drop the name!

User avatar
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Location: St. Heraldwulf's Stone
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Will » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

andyvn22 wrote:
MrHackman wrote:"I don't want X." doesn't mean "I'd prefer it if X didn't happen." but rather it means "I have no desire for X, in that I am indifferent to it's occurrence."


Similarly, "I don't believe X" does not mean "I do believe the opposite of X." Yuck. This one is extra-annoying, because I've found people refuse to listen to me explain it. Plus it's the entire basis of (real) agnosticism. So I guess tons of people don't understand that, either.


It's also startling how many self-described "atheists" are agnostic. Atheism means you specifically believe in the non-existence of any higher power whatsoever. Agnosticism means you just don't have a clue whether or not there's a God, and (speaking as an agnostic) you just don't particularly care.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Belial » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:28 pm UTC

Misconception: That any given definition of "atheist" and "agnostic" is the 100% correct definition handed down by Dawkins himself from his house in anti-heaven.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Location: St. Heraldwulf's Stone
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Will » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Misconception: That any given definition of "atheist" and "agnostic" is the 100% correct definition handed down by Dawkins himself from his house in anti-heaven.


Maybe. Or maybe not. There's really no way to be sure.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

User avatar
Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank
Posts: 2707
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:51 am UTC
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Berengal » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:48 pm UTC

Misconseption: 0.9r is not 1.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26518
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:Misconception: 0.9r is not mathematically equivalent to 1.


Fix'd it for you. See, getting all assholish about it, .9 repeating is not 1, in the same way that Q is not T, 58764 is not England, and the American Sign Language signal for Love is not the same thing as a stop sign. It's .9 repeating. Which, even written as simply as possible via text (.9r) is three characters in length. 1 is one character in length. Not the same thing at all, as you can clearly see that .9r is three times the size of 1.

Misconception: There are no pedantic assholes on the XKCD forum who will jump on every tiny error you make and rip it to shreds, ignoring the spirit of your sentence to instead argue the letter of a sentence taken out of context.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
schmiggen
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:15 am UTC
Location: location, location

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby schmiggen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:22 pm UTC

Misconception:Nerdiness has some bearing on athletic ability or attention to appearances, etc.

Dark_EK wrote:Because Montreal is in Quebec, it automatically means that no one speaks English here... never mind that more than half the population is bilingual and a quarter only speak English.


I think I may have some unfair, if unconscious, leanings in the other direction. So, along those lines anyway, I've definitely heard people make this assumption...


Misconception: Successful people outside countries where English is the official language will probably know English anyway because, you know, English is just required for success.




mqarcus wrote:People who use a computer on a daily basis, not understanding how it works. This irritates the hell out of me.

Nougatrocity wrote:People shouldn't have to understand every facet of how their computers work, but I think a rudimentary understanding of what an operating system is and how file/folder structure operates needs to take hold.

My mom works in IT at the local medical university, and she's stuck with someone who, it seems to me, is the epitome of this. He's been a "programmer" for something like 30 years, but this actually happened with him: My mom gave him a set of instructions for updating some software, and in those instructions, he was told that in a particular folder, after the update, he would have to change the name of a particular file. During the update, there was a warning, but the update continued to completion anyway. When he checked for the folder, it wasn't there. So he created the folder himself. Then he checked in the folder and was baffled for quite some time as to why the file he was supposed to rename was not inside. My mom figured out what the warning was, fixed things, etc., and still manages to go to work with this guy every day without her head exploding. This guy takes screenshots of every step of every thing he does to prove that he followed directions exactly/to the word, so he can claim any problem that occurs isn't his fault and he doesn't have to deal with it.

*so much respect for my mom*


Jauss wrote:Hey, if he wants to sing in inaudibly low tones that's awesome.

I'm doing "Naked as we came" by Iron & Wine right now ;) Anybody here should be able to enjoy it.

SecondTalon wrote:Grits are proof that God exists, and s/he loves us very much.

<3

xooll wrote:Misconception: The weather man who talks on TV is the one who makes the forecast.

In middle school we had a field trip to the nearby news station and the weathercaster showed us the programs he used to collect data and to make the fancy/bubbly backgrounds for his TV forecasts.

Edit0r wrote:2) Because I'm Indian, I speak every dialect of every Indian language. Ever.
3) I have a hard to pronounce name

I have a friend named Amandeep. Our high-school vice-principal has never correctly pronounced her (very straightforward, phonetically spelled) name. "Amanda-deep" was the closest he got. Also, her younger brother, for a long time, thought that "Indian" was all there was in the way of languages from India. :P

Maseiken wrote:Cold stone? Isn't it Cold Rock? Or is that the Australian equivalent?

Where I live, it's Marble Slab. In much of Northeastern USA, they have Cold Stone stores. I was just as surprised when I saw these, because they've basically got the same idea: a cold, smooth rock on which they mix stuff into your ice cream. I'm not sure if they're all affiliated in any way, though.
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests