REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby ConMan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:40 am UTC

Vandole wrote:What's with the corks on the hat thing? The first time I encountered this as an Australian stereotype was in a Terry Pratchett book (The Last Continent) where the denizens of totally-not-Australia Fourecks all have them. Prior, I had never head of it at all. Then again in Canada most of our view of Australia is that they basically all sound like Steve Irwin. Which wasn't helped in my family when my cousin moved to Australia... he now sounds a lot like Steve Irwin to us.

Edit for way to sentence english, me. It's too late.

It's meant to keep the flies away from your face, presumably because the waving back and forth of the corks as your head moves is like waving your hand in front of your face, while leaving both hands free.

The Australian accent is probably not as varied as the American one, but there are differences - folk from the Outback, particularly up in Queensland and the Northern Territory, probably do often sound a bit Irwin-esque, but going around the country (and particularly the major cities) you'll hear quite a variety of accents.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:It's meant to keep the flies away from your face, presumably because the waving back and forth of the corks as your head moves is like waving your hand in front of your face, while leaving both hands free.

I think it's actually because they're meant to be soaked in repellent, cork being a porous material, then the corks act like those sprays/air fresheners that keep insects away.

I could be totally wrong here but I seem to remember someone telling me that when I was younger.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:02 pm UTC

Sokh wrote:
ConMan wrote:It's meant to keep the flies away from your face, presumably because the waving back and forth of the corks as your head moves is like waving your hand in front of your face, while leaving both hands free.

I think it's actually because they're meant to be soaked in repellent, cork being a porous material, then the corks act like those sprays/air fresheners that keep insects away.

I could be totally wrong here but I seem to remember someone telling me that when I was younger.

Maybe it's both! :o

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

Hey let's clear up a misconception hyur.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6529426_austr ... z125pTgepW (there was a wikipedia page but it was much less interesting while equally factual)
--
Australian cork hats were primarily invented to keep flies from the eyes and face of the wearer. The Australian Outback is populated by blowflies, and the corks, which swing when the wearer moves, are used to divert any potential incoming insects.

The hat additionally shields the wearer from the sun, heat, rain, wind and other extreme weather conditions. This consequently aids in preventing such conditions as sunburn, heat rash or dry skin.
--
No mention is made of dipping the corks in insecticide. I imagine it could easily be done, but I doubt it's worth putting up with the stench since they'd be around your head all day.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:28 am UTC

My teacher lied! But but but, she had been to Australia and had a diggeri doo (I'm not even sure how to begin to spell this) and everything. I feel so cheated, I bet she was lying about that dog spot as well, he never went to the circus at all.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:33 am UTC

Sokh wrote:My teacher lied! But but but, she had been to Australia and had a diggeri doo (I'm not even sure how to begin to spell this) and everything. I feel so cheated, I bet she was lying about that dog spot as well, he never went to the circus at all.

Didgeridoo or didgeridoonot, there is no try!

lol... but seriously, this is a didgeridoo:

Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:00 pm UTC

Ok yea, her's wasn't nearly as impressive as that. Was a pretty plain wooden tube for lack of a better term. Apparently she got it from Aboriginals but I'm beginning to doubt that too :P

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

After coming across a photo of American athlete Evan Lysacek:
Him: Ice skaters are effeminate.
Me: What? Did you SEE the muscles on that guy?
Him: Just because you have muscles doesn't mean the activity and the pose are feminine.
*discussion about what's feminine and what's masculine*
Me: Do you have to assign arbitrary activities and qualities to feminine and masculine? Why not just call it "sensual" or "passive" or "graceful" without associating it with a gender?
*discussion ranges into mythology and cultural influences and I wind up dismantling a lot of his views on women and feminism*
Him: If you had a nicer tone, maybe people would be more willing to listen.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

I think that's on one of the feminism bingo cards.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:30 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I think that's on one of the feminism bingo cards.

If not, this works, too - http://www.derailingfordummies.com/#hostile
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

icanus

Postby icanus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:lol... but seriously, this is a didgeridoo

That's not a Didgeridoo! This is a Didgeridoo...
Didgeridoo.jpg
(strewth, that bloke's got no strides on!)

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:33 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:In the Balkans people are still stewing over insults made over 800 years ago.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

icanus wrote:
meatyochre wrote:lol... but seriously, this is a didgeridoo

That's not a Didgeridoo! This is a Didgeridoo...
Didgeridoo.jpg
(strewth, that bloke's got no strides on!)

Pretty sure that's not a didgeridoo - it's an enormous blunt. Those aborigines sure know how to party.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

Now I'm picturing Cheech & Chong trying to smoke a didgeridoo
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

RarrRaptor

Postby RarrRaptor » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:20 pm UTC

I hate when a technical term specific to a technology that will probably be obsolete soon enough is used for something general. I can understand xerox for a specific kind of copying, but In just about all cases, there's already a perfectly exact term...that no one uses. Bandwidth is not throughput, core is not fast memory in general, flash is not equivalent to removable storage, zip is not compression in general, Coke is not every kind of soda, and on and on and on and on.

I also hate it when people think that raptors dislike goto statements based on the statistically-insignificant so-called 'evidence' of one set of still images that doesn't even conclusively show an attack happening. I mean, it may just be that the raptor in question really likes the proper use of gotos, hasn't seen much use of them lately, and so got overexcited about one that he found out about, reacting like Dino on the Flintstones when Fred gets home.

Dason

Postby Dason » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:08 pm UTC

RarrRaptor wrote:I also hate it when people think that raptors dislike goto statements based on the statistically-insignificant so-called 'evidence' of one set of still images that doesn't even conclusively show an attack happening. I mean, it may just be that the raptor in question really likes the proper use of gotos, hasn't seen much use of them lately, and so got overexcited about one that he found out about, reacting like Dino on the Flintstones when Fred gets home.

I'm fine with people believing that because they did a study to see whether raptors do in fact hate goto statements. There were no survivors.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

It was a double-blind study, in that both of the lead researcher's eyes were clawed out in the attack.

RarrRaptor

Postby RarrRaptor » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

Dason wrote:I'm fine with people believing that because they did a study to see whether raptors do in fact hate goto statements. There were no survivors.

But the raptors survived quite well! :mrgreen: Thus, I think your methodology is flawed.
Magnanimous wrote:It was a double-blind study, in that both of the lead researcher's eyes were clawed out in the attack.

See, raptors care about improving the methodology used!

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

RarrRaptor wrote:I hate when a technical term specific to a technology that will probably be obsolete soon enough is used for something general. I can understand xerox for a specific kind of copying, but In just about all cases, there's already a perfectly exact term...that no one uses. Bandwidth is not throughput, core is not fast memory in general, flash is not equivalent to removable storage, zip is not compression in general, Coke is not every kind of soda, and on and on and on and on.

It's called a Synecdoche.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

Not all of them are, though. I don't see how using "bandwidth" to describe what is actually throughput would count as a form of synecdoche.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “General”