Legos!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Please choose the one that most describes you.

I have a technological personality type, and I loved legos when I was a kid.
75%
I have a technological personality type, and was neutral about legos when I was a kid.
3%
I have a technological personality type, and I didn't really like legos when I was a kid.
No votes
I DO NOT have a technological personality type, and I loved legos when I was a kid.
19%
I DO NOT have a technological personality type, and was neutral about legos when I was a kid.
2%
I DO NOT have a technological personality type, and I didn't really like legos when I was a kid.
1%

Total votes: 110

umbrae

Legos!

Postby umbrae » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:13 am UTC

Who didn't love those little blocks with which only your imagination was the limit? Well, there were more limits than that. But really, they were (and still are) pretty great.

I'm trying to figure out what sort of demographic of people love legos. Your help in this matter would be appreciated.

Also, feel free to post your lego accomplishments. I, for one, enjoyed building things from scratch - kits are nice, but following instructions is for squares! (No pun intended)

kira
I hate bananas.

Postby kira » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:16 am UTC

What constitutes a technological personality type?

My sister and I loved legos, but usually tended to play doll house with them. That said, we made very intricate houses out of legos. I remember one particularly well-made design had an espresso machine and a couch with throw pillows.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:17 am UTC

I started playing with Legos really early on as a kid, and continued to play with them for a long time after. It was about the only toy I ever had, or used, for at least 5 years. I'm also convinced that it was the most influential thing in my mental development. If I ever have a kid they will be FORCED to play with Lego.

EDIT: And as for Lego acomplishments, I tended to build the kit once, then add the parts to my tub. Generally, I bought kits (read: whinged at parents to get me), purely for cool looking parts, not the actual model. I used to try to build my favourite spaceships/cars/kid stuff, or just make up my own. Spaceships were my thing though.
Last edited by crazyjimbo on Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:19 am UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:If I ever have a kid they will be FORCED to play with Lego.
You and me both.

I mean, with our respective kids.

umbrae

Postby umbrae » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:20 am UTC

What constitutes a technological personality type?

Hmm. I guess, you're involved in something scientific or logical, and you think more logically than emotionally.

My end goal for this is to relate it to software developers - but generally logical, scientific people are what really matter, I guess.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:28 am UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:EDIT: And as for Lego acomplishments, I tended to build the kit once, then add the parts to my tub. Generally, I bought kits (read: whinged at parents to get me), purely for cool looking parts, not the actual model. I used to try to build my favourite spaceships/cars/kid stuff, or just make up my own. Spaceships were my thing though.

Replace spaceship with fighter plane, and you have me. To the point that I think it stunted a bit of creativity, as I always tried to make my airplanes and helicopters somewhat legitimate. I never really felt the freedom to just make stuff.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:30 am UTC

Legos kick ass. Megablocks were also cool. I would say Megablocks were better sets, but Legos were better for like freestyle building.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:47 am UTC

Everyone is in agreement.. lego is awesome. That is all.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:52 am UTC

i was indifferent to them as a child. to me, they were just those things i landed on when i fell off the top bunk in my sleep. legos and beheaded ninja turtles.

now i think they are nifty. i have a little brother who is autistic and i buy him legos all the time because he LOVES putting things together. i'm going to get him a big project for christmas, age restrictions be damned. he can do things it takes me and my older little-brother to work out successfully.

that last sentence looks wrong but i cant figure out how it word it correctly.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:55 am UTC

I recall that as a kid, I loved building with LEGO blocks, but I treated them as exterior boundaries. That is, I never built intricate interiors or cared about uniform colors.

Maybe this is because I also had Lincoln Logs and they really didn't allow for as much a diverse usage.
It's OK to be social, just don't tell anyone about it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:04 am UTC

Loved? That implies that I do no longer.

I'm an adult. I can buy Legos when I please with my own money.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:05 am UTC

I liked 'em a lot when I was a kid... I remember I only ever followed the directions. I never really experimented (except that one time I made a house under construction (I ran out of white bricks) that I loved dearly).
Then around my tenth (?) birthday, I just... suddenly grew out and lost interest of them...

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:10 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Loved? That implies that I do no longer.

I'm an adult. I can buy Legos when I please with my own money.

This is an excellent point!
I shall be purchasing and rebuilding my collection shortly. Thank you sir.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:17 am UTC

I would always build planes (with an escape pod) and cars, and then usually smash them together in horrific accidents and then build them back completely from memory. Some of these had hundreds of pieces, I'll never know how I remembered it all.

I'd also try to build the tallest strongest structure that I could. Something several feet high that could support my weight, I always kept coming back to a pyramid style shape.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:30 am UTC

Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

wanderer

Postby wanderer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:42 am UTC

Nontechnical (I guess, the definition is vaguely worded), loved Legos.

My favorite sets involved the Knights; they sequed nicely into faux D&D sessions.

Aside from building the kits once or twice, I and my cousins would build guns and handgrenades; I recall the fun of "reloading" my gun with magazine made out of a sizable stack. Grenades made their own shrapnel if built correctly and bounced off of the correct piece of furniture.

Once both of my children are beyond the eating everything stage (one more to go!), they shall be getting Legos. Legos and Playmobil people.

If I can convince one of the school science teachers to sponsor a robotics team, I bet we can get those Lego-robotic kits for free (well, free as in taxpayers buy them).

Idea...

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:10 am UTC

Loved it? I love it. I've never stopped building. I've moved from guns and spaceships to nonfigurative shapes, though I still do cars and robots when the pieces available allow it.

What's funny is, I think I know the exact moment when my life shifted from being based on logic to being based on instinct. It's when I took all my lego pieces - maybe ten thousand or so - from their individual boxes and mixed them irrevocably in a large bag.
Last edited by Invisible Queen on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything a person can imagine is a concievable reality."

IronSpike

Postby IronSpike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:11 am UTC

Me, I can't wait for the LEGO MMORPG.
Hi. Read my comic. kthnx.

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:57 am UTC

Alisto wrote:http://mindstorms.lego.com/ imo

Meh, the new Mindstorms set is for pansies without skill. Servomotors are for losers!
The beer dispenser in out dorm is lego driven, I made an RC boat from a mindstorms Brick. I spend so much time screwing and hacking at NQC (Not Quite C)... good times.

Still can't manage to get a realistic walker without glueing pieces together.
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:48 am UTC

IronSpike wrote:Me, I can't wait for the LEGO MMORPG.

It's been done. Oh, and count me in the majority. Once I'm out of school and have a job/car/house I'll start a new collection.

Anyone know if there's a site that sells out of production kits? I love the old knights sets and the different shields they had.

Rey

Postby Rey » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:03 pm UTC

IronSpike wrote:Me, I can't wait for the LEGO MMORPG.

You might want to check out Return to Blockland. http://www.returntoblockland.com

The interface is a bit clumsy and it doesn't have the greatest brick selection. It's worth a look though.

Edit: fixed link.
Last edited by Rey on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The revolution will be televised in HD,
for the children!

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:40 pm UTC

Never stopped loving Legos. Being a grownup just means more money to buy them, and I can drive myself to the store.

I can't find a pic online of my pile, but it has outgrown the two 20gallon tubs it used to be housed in, so it is currently taking up about a 1/4 of the floorspace in my bedroom.
flickr photostream of some of my recent builds.

Sadly I haven't had much time to devote to Legos lately.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Mat

Postby Mat » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:55 pm UTC

I love lego! and I am getting lots of it for free from my friend soon :D

I had a giant box of it when I was younger but I don't know where that is now. I never made anything cool though, I usually just followed the instructions if I had a proper set or just built boring things like buildings.

I don't know if I'm "technological" but I voted for the "I DO NOT have a technological personality" option anyway..

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

My parents never got me lego. Worst childhood ever.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:06 pm UTC

Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:My parents never got me lego. Worst childhood ever.

you can probably sue them, at the very least you can get on a day time chat show
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:
Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:My parents never got me lego. Worst childhood ever.

you can probably sue them, at the very least you can get on a day time chat show
Get on Oprah, she'll give you th entire Lego corporation.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:13 pm UTC

Confession: I have a large collection of Harry Potter legos. And they are hyper-organized in a bunch of tuperwares. And sorting them out is one of my favorite parts.

sebbeklang

Postby sebbeklang » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:23 pm UTC

yah, loved legos.

much to my mothers dismay, my uncle once taught me how to make really neat guns using an elastic band. the little engineer in me loved to figure out ways to make them more powerful without breaking them and to increase the functionality of them.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:25 pm UTC

Loved? I still love lego. But not system, technic and the "old" mindstorms (RIS rather than NXT, which isn't really lego IMO). As I've said before somewhere, I did an inventory of all my pieces a few months ago and I have a total of 2602 sorted pieces. Double that for a rough estimate.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

I like the legos with no preconceived notion of what you're supposed to build. That's what I grew up with, and I'm a genius. So, there.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

I recently had the pleasure of teaching a child about the joys of legos. She kept asking what certain pieces were for. I really hope that she takes in the lesson of "it can be ANYTHING".

I posted this pic before, but why not post it again:
She really wanted to use the stairs.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:Caution, extreme nerdiness follows: I have a large collection of Harry Potter legos. And they are hyper-organized in a bunch of tuperwares. And sorting them out is one of my favorite parts.

fix'd
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

haveblue

Postby haveblue » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

I still love lego, but I don't have any anymore :(

When I was younger (grade 3), both of my parents were working, so I used to go to an after school daycare kind of place. They had a LOT of lego there, so myself and a few others began constructing a large spaceship of sorts. It was very long, the length of an average classroom, but fairly narrow, constructed of several large pyramids connected together in various ways, and was perfectly symmetrical. We eventually had to stop because we'd run out of pieces, and kids from which to steal more pieces from. It stayed there for a good week before we got bored and took it apart to build new things..

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

Ohhhhhhhh man, legos were the most awesome thing ever when I was little. I haven't played with them in a while because my mom gave them away when I got older and I started sculpting. To this day I always get a happy feeling whenI see legos.

One of the coolest things about Olin College was that one of the most popular clubs was the Olin Society of Lego Engineers, who basically just built lego models of everything. It was amazing.

...too bad the bastards rejected me. I LOVED YOU, WHY COULDNT YOU LOVE ME BACK!!!! wait a sec, what, what was that? oh nothing... um.. yeah.. just ignore that...

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:37 pm UTC

I didn't so much enjoy playing with legos, or even assembling them, as much as meticulously sorting them into a large, hypercompartmentalized tackle box.

So would that be more "technological" or "bean counter"?

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:49 pm UTC

RealGrouchy wrote:So would that be more "technological" or "bean counter"?

Tank believes that this is extreme nerdiness. But I've got your back. I wish I had enough to justify sub-dividing by color.

Interesting facts from wikipedia.
Lego elements are manufactured within a tolerance of 2 µm.

Annual production of Lego bricks averages approximately 20 billion (2 × 10^10) per year, or about 600 pieces per second.

Lego Group produces over 306 million miniature tires each year - more than any other tire manufacturer in the world.

On average, everyone in the world has 62 Lego bricks each.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

For years now, I have wanted to recreate the original Stars Wars in stop motion with Lego. Trouble is, it would cost thousands in pieces, and about 10 years of my time :(.

BlueNowhere

Postby BlueNowhere » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:52 pm UTC

apocralypse wrote: he can do things it takes me and my older little-brother to work out successfully.

that last sentence looks wrong but i cant figure out how it word it correctly.

I had to read that sentence twice or so before it kind of made sense. Then when I read the last sentence I read it again and it clicked.

How about "He can do things on his own which require me and my older little-brother to work together to figure out successfully."

*shrug* It wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be when I hit Quote.

Edit: I used to love playing with Legos. My siblings and I had a rather large collection. We still have it, except it's in storage boxes at our parents' house. I will definitely let (or force) my children to play with Legos. It's a much better alternate reality than Computers or Video games.

We had so much fun playing with those while growing up. *reminisces*
The Blue Nowhere

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

My brother and I used to build the models, then after seeing them slightly broken (animals, moms, cleanings... the like) we would use the frame and graft on pieces. Or simple rebuild from new. You don't have a LEGO star cruiser until you've taken the cannons from 3 X-Wings, 1 B-Wing and a couple of Droid Army tanks and mashed them all together to take on a Star Destroyer.

(Megablocks had a little more imagination, but no build quality.)

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

We (being my two brothers and I) spent most of our time building pyramids and going on expeditions, castles and having battles, and submarines and exploring the oceans.

My sister didn't like legos. *Sad*
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Return to “General”