How do you eat yours?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What do you use to play music on your comp/ laptop?

Winamp
32%
iTunes
33%
realplayer
1%
windows media player
17%
other (post details?)
17%

Total votes: 76

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

How do you eat yours?

Postby no-genius » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:51 pm UTC

Was talking to tjm about winamp, and just wondering what you all play your music on.

Sorry if i missed yours, but i think these are the main ones?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:03 pm UTC

I've been using Winamp for years, but I've just started flipflopping between it and iTunes.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:15 pm UTC

I use itunes to download podcasts, but cos not all of my music will play on itunes, i dont bother. i went through a phase last year of using itunes, but then i burned a cd and it froze, so i kindof gave it evils after that.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:24 pm UTC

Winamp's the greatest!

foobar2000 seems to be popular though, and should probably have been included in the poll. I don't like it though.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:26 pm UTC

Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:Winamp's the greatest!

foobar2000 seems to be popular though, and should probably have been included in the poll. I don't like it though.

I couldn't remember any others.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:45 pm UTC

I use a program called Audacious, which is an updated version of xmms. It (along with xmms) is very similar to (old) Winamp. One might even say a rip-off of Winamp. Gets the job done, and works with my remote.

Really, I could use just about any music player because I keep an organized music directory.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

bentheo

Postby bentheo » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:49 pm UTC

i use itunes to organize and listen to most of music. a lot of times if i'm just looking for one song i'll just play it in vlc. i can never get enough vlc.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:22 pm UTC

Rythmbox!

And if anyone uses realplayer i will personally go to their house and smack them. I can't think of any reason why you should use that piece of shit, other than nfl.com.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

brit

Postby brit » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:08 pm UTC

I use itunes, but I kind of hate myself for it sometimes.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:18 pm UTC

brit wrote:I use itunes, but I kind of hate myself for it sometimes.

A statement like this can not go unexplained.

:arrow:
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Babbler

Postby Babbler » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:25 pm UTC

I am lazy, so I just use WMP.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:28 pm UTC

There is not really anything i want to do that Media player can't do (with audio) Win amp would jusst be another piece of sortware that i don't really "need"
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

brit

Postby brit » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:37 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
brit wrote:I use itunes, but I kind of hate myself for it sometimes.

A statement like this can not go unexplained.

:arrow:

Isn't life disappointing sometimes? ;)

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:42 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:There is not really anything i want to do that Media player can't do (with audio) Win amp would jusst be another piece of sortware that i don't really "need"

Can you set wmp to rescan your folders every 30 minutes? or any time interval you want? Also the playlists are a lot easier to use in winam, you can rip stuff to smaller files (although i guess the quality might not be as good? oh well, i dont care.) And when you rip stuff in winamp the files aren't copy protected, which they are if you do it in wmp. and wmp sucks

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:46 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
fjafjan wrote:There is not really anything i want to do that Media player can't do (with audio) Win amp would jusst be another piece of sortware that i don't really "need"

Can you set wmp to rescan your folders every 30 minutes? or any time interval you want? Also the playlists are a lot easier to use in winam, you can rip stuff to smaller files (although i guess the quality might not be as good? oh well, i dont care.) And when you rip stuff in winamp the files aren't copy protected, which they are if you do it in wmp. and wmp sucks

I don't rip music I download it
And I don't need that function, if i want to listen to a song I play it through my well sorted music directory, if it is not in the Media player list thing.
WMP does the job
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:59 pm UTC

I used to use Winamp a lot, but once I got an iPod I switched to iTunes and haven't looked back. It does everything I need or want it to do and integrates with my portable music. Yes, I'm an iGroupie.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:15 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:
no-genius wrote:

And I don't need that function, if i want to listen to a song I play it through my well sorted music directory, if it is not in the Media player list thing.
WMP does the job

Yeah, but winamp has that cool oscilloscope thing!

Mister 4

Postby Mister 4 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:18 pm UTC

foobar2000 user here. I love it so... best audio file program evar.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:22 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:I used to use Winamp a lot, but once I got an iPod I switched to iTunes and haven't looked back. It does everything I need or want it to do and integrates with my portable music. Yes, I'm an iGroupie.

I use iTunes now too, for the same reason, but I think I suck at it, I cannot figure out how to just make it play a single album. I use it for playlists and updating my iPod and stuff, but when I just want to listen to one album, I switch over to Windows Media Player. But I don't really want to have doubles of all of my songs just so I can do that! So maybe you can educate me as to how to get it to play just one album? Pleeeeeease?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:27 pm UTC

WMP11.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:28 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:
Hawknc wrote:I used to use Winamp a lot, but once I got an iPod I switched to iTunes and haven't looked back. It does everything I need or want it to do and integrates with my portable music. Yes, I'm an iGroupie.

I use iTunes now too, for the same reason, but I think I suck at it, I cannot figure out how to just make it play a single album. I use it for playlists and updating my iPod and stuff, but when I just want to listen to one album, I switch over to Windows Media Player. But I don't really want to have doubles of all of my songs just so I can do that! So maybe you can educate me as to how to get it to play just one album? Pleeeeeease?

Either don't change the browser view (Annoying) or send it to a new playlist (you have to do this EVERY TIME, and also delete the playlist or have loads of playlist, so annoying) or use winamp (yay!). Cos in winamp when you play an album, it goes to a new playlist, but it doesnt save the playlist, which is really cool. also you can use Shift+Enter to add songs to the playlist. Which is also really cool.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:35 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
fjafjan wrote:
no-genius wrote:

WMP does the job

I think WMP has more of those, without having to download them separatly atleast :P

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:36 am UTC

VLC is the best, it can play just about every single file type.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:37 am UTC

I love that about VLC, but it's not very good for audio, making playlists is annoying etc. VLC is great for video, but WMP is better for audio.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:40 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:I love that about VLC, but it's not very good for audio, making playlists is annoying etc. VLC is great for video, but WMP is better for audio.

I don't find making playlists annoying. And it plays audio fine for me.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:44 am UTC

the fact that, I atleast, cannot right click on a number of audio files and select "add to playlist" (and if i select open it opens a new window for each one, or opens them all consecutively)
that, and that it has no Media Library as far as i have noticed. It's fine, it's just not as good as WMP

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:50 am UTC

Seriously, the library system in WMP11 pwns anything else right out of the water.

Plus the Play/Pause button is the sexiest thing since, liek, me.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:50 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:
no-genius wrote:
fjafjan wrote:
no-genius wrote:

WMP does the job

I think WMP has more of those, without having to download them separatly atleast :P

You don't have to download it separately for winamp either- its part of the main player window. Also it has a spectrum analyser. And predixis musicmagic is just awesome for making cool playlists.

Kurasuke

Postby Kurasuke » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:55 am UTC

I used iTunes for a while, but it started to get flooded with my brothers music and I did not feel like breaking up my playlist. As a result, I switched over to winamp. I prefer it, it takes up so much less memory while running, and my computer is not the best so I need as much of it as I can get while playing games. Also, iTunes lags up my computer a whole bunch right when I turn it on.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:00 am UTC

I've actually never been able to make much sense out of WMP's interface at all. Even stuff that should be easy, like adding files to a currently-playing playlist, has required me to look around for help.

I think that's largely because it is a program that tries to do all of your media stuff, forcing you to learn a new paradigm of use, and since I almost never use it I've never learned it. That's no excuse, really; this stuff should be intuitively simple to someone with basic computer knowledge and it isn't (Winamp-style programs never required any explanation to me; and once I knew how to navigate the filesystem neither did "cd"ing to the proper directory in a shell and typing "mpg123 *"). It makes a lot more sense to me to use one program to rip a CD into a directory, a different program to play tracks from that directory or manage playlists within your hierarchy and play them back, and another one for burning CDs.

I used iTunes for a while when I was on Windows, and had slightly more luck with it, but the principle still holds true. Recently one of my cousins couldn't figure out how to burn a CD with iTunes. It was because the button had moved. The type of thing that wouldn't be a problem with simple, single-use programs launched from your desktop (or terminal) of choice.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:01 am UTC

Only thing is, sometimes winamp crashes when I'm editing my tags.

Teaspoon

Postby Teaspoon » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:13 am UTC

I use Media Player Classic. When I set up a new system I install ffdshow (from x264.nl - nice playback of H246 and every MPEG4-derivative I've seen), then Real Alternative (a DirectShow filter to run RealMedia) and Quicktime Alternative (same for Quicktime). Real and QT Alternative have Media Player Classic bundled, and I rather like it. It's a player that's simple enough for anyone to use and complex enough to do clever things with.

For example, I like to be able to right-click and get a list of which filters are in use to decode the current file. I can even bring up any option windows they may have for on-the-fly twerking of playback to fix any weird glitches that may arise in my videos.

You can also select audio streams and subtitle languages and whatnot from the right-click context menu if you've managed to find yourself files that do that sort of thing. Last time I used WMP I was watching some anime and couldn't see a way to make it play the Japanese audio with English subtitles. This was a horrible shame, because the English voice actors were fucking awful.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:24 pm UTC

iTunes is horribly easy to play a single album. Remember people, instant search *is*your*friend*. Just type the name of the album and slap the ol' space bar.

Bam! Instant album playlist. Or for artist, just type the artists name.

I really don't get WMP either. Perhaps it is a common characteristic of those of us who are not content to use whatever is default and out of the box :wink: . Esp. if we are the type to go and install an alternative OS. When i tried to use it, i could not figure out for the life of me how to setup the library/playlists/look at my music in a way that is anything resembling intuitive. Just didn't make sense.

I tried WMP11 for a day. I had to uninstall and completely remove it from my system in about 3 hours. It literally drove me batshit insane. Its just horrible. And who cares what the play/pause button looks like? If that is the best reason to use the program, that is hardly compelling. The space bar is my friend.

I less than three VLC, also. I use it for movies mostly, as there is no built in library browsing system. It plays some crazy formats and can stream like no other. After all, that is what it was designed for.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:00 pm UTC

Oh, i have a question sort of related to this thread

Does anyone know of a decent "alarm" program, which just plays a selected MP3 file at preset times weekly (like 7 at monday, 8 thuesday, or so forth)
I had a program with my old computor but really that sucked donkey.
Any suggestions?

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:22 pm UTC

For iTunes there is a great program called iTunes Alarm. But statistically speaking you are not using OS X. So try this Alarm Clock for your windows needs. That one doesn't actually need iTunes, it can use WMP as well.

Of course there is always the ever-powerful cron job available to assist your *nix system. Probably the best scheduling program in existense. Check here for tips.

Good luck!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Mat

Postby Mat » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:42 pm UTC

VLC is awesome but I use winamp because its easier to make playlists and I have a last.fm plugin for it. I don't really need any fancy features.. I just wanna play music and winamp does that pretty well. I guess WMP does too, but.. eww.

Assuming you use windows, this seems like an ok alarm clock program.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:48 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:Does anyone know of a decent "alarm" program, which just plays a selected MP3 file at preset times weekly (like 7 at monday, 8 thuesday, or so forth)

Assuming you're using some Unix-like system, just use cron and mpg123, 'cause they're already on your system.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:49 pm UTC

I am using XP :P (woo .. pirated :P)

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:50 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:I am using XP :P (woo .. pirated :P)

You know that God gives someone AIDS every time someone does that, don't you?

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:55 pm UTC

Why do people feel the need to be proud of the fact that they steal from thousands of hard-working people. From developers to secretaries to janitors, they all work at MS and you are taking from all of them.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Return to “General”