Odd Habits

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you have strange habits?

Yes, lots of them
30%
Yes, and they're blatantly obvious
23%
Yes, but nobody ever notices them
27%
Nope!
No votes
Otter!
20%

Total votes: 70

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:54 am UTC

Alisto wrote:
une see wrote:*high five*

*high five*

Though in the interest of full disclosure, I'm not actually Chinese; I just speak a little Mandarin.

Do you hear that? That's the sound of all my hopes crashing down on me. You should feel bad. :)

Edit:
Earlz wrote:hmm....
I can't stand discolored ends on french fries...I use to not eat the ends of frenchfries period, but I have changed some, so now I can eat ends that aren't too discolored..

But that's the best part! It's always so nice and crunchy...mmm mmm good. Maybe a little carcinogenic, but that's basically everything, so...
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:10 am UTC

Whenever we go to a city I've never been (or even one that I've been to but it's been a while), I **have** to check out the grocery stores and the pharmacies (every aisle). I figure if I can't find a restaurant I like, at least I can eat, and if I or someone gets hurt, I'll know where to get med supplies.

When coding, I put funny jokes and stuff in the comments, so that when I or someone else goes back and looks at it, they'll smile. Or, more than likely, think I'm weird (but who doesn't...)

I collect Tim Horton's Coffee trays (you know the cardboard 4 cup holders? I've got a 3 foot stack of'em beside my desk at work...) I bring them back down to the Timmy's when they reach my waist.

I get up at 4:30 a.m. to watch Star Trek DS9 at 5:00, and then leave for work at 6:00. Although the station that I watch it on has changed mid-season 1 to Voyager mid-season 5, and I'm very upset (this was going to be my 3rd time going through the DS9 "shortened" version of the series that the channel runs).

I talk to myself. Incessently. I'm sitting here, saying outloud (quietly) what I'm typing. I only do this when posting to a forum, coding, or thinking intensely (which is very, very often).
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:15 am UTC

I drink instant coffee. When I make a cup, I always add about a tablespoon of cold water to the hot coffee and then pour out about a tablespoon of the coffee into the sink. If I skip either step, it doesn't taste right.
...the whim of a hat.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:28 am UTC

in some bowling alleys, on the ball-return thing between two lanes, there's a little switchable tab that directs the ball to either of the lanes. I always change it so the balls are going to the right lane, and the tab MUST be right against the edge of the machine. Also, the balls must roll to the end of the return lane, and preferably they will be equal on both sides.

Trevor

Postby Trevor » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:40 am UTC

Until I was about 11 I would spell out words I didn't know to the tune of the Transformers theme song.
Sometimes when I'm sick, or feeling blue, I drink vinegar. I like all kinds: balsamic, vodka, orange juice, leaves.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:49 am UTC

deadly penguin wrote:Also if I imagine something that's spinning, for some reason I find it very difficult to picture it stopping.

Me too! And I go nuts trying to make it stop spinning!
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:56 am UTC

Oh my god, me too. or to reverse direction is really hard too.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:03 am UTC

I have no trouble picturing things that stop spinning, maybe that makes ME weird :P
=]

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:20 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
deadly penguin wrote:Also if I imagine something that's spinning, for some reason I find it very difficult to picture it stopping.

Me too! And I go nuts trying to make it stop spinning!

actually, me too. It applies to any type of cycle as well. (say... sheep jumping over a fence. Can you imagine one just walking away?)

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:21 am UTC

I air guitar and lip sync a lo of music.
=]

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:24 am UTC

I think it might Kit.

I have the spinning problem too...

And, another weird habit, when I eat, I have to divide it, no matter what it is, into two, then I can eat it normally.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:25 am UTC

I get "the spinning problem" a lot with swings, oddly specific, right?
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:26 am UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:
And, another weird habit, when I eat, I have to divide it, no matter what it is, into two, then I can eat it normally.

Even rice?
=]

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:27 am UTC

Castaway wrote:I get "the spinning problem" a lot with swings, oddly specific, right?

no, it's the same with me...

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:56 am UTC

Even rice.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:01 pm UTC

I have to eat meals such that every item is consumed at the same rate and I end up with one bite left of each item. My GF eats all of one item before moving on to the next and I almost can't handle that.

Trevor

Postby Trevor » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

I do that with colored candies. With meals I don't have any preference.
Sometimes when I'm sick, or feeling blue, I drink vinegar. I like all kinds: balsamic, vodka, orange juice, leaves.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:20 pm UTC

When I go grocery shopping, and I get, for instance, ice cream or chips, I can't pick the first container right in front of me. I have to reach back a few. I have this idea that the ones in front have been dropped/handled/defrosted more than the others (which is probably true), and I want mine as uncompromising as possible.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

McLurker

Postby McLurker » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

Me, too!

Of course, if many people do this, then it increases the number of things that are being handled.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

The only logical solution is to kill all but a select few of us. Then scatter those who remain to the various corners of the globe so we don't accidentally feel up eachother's groceries.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:31 pm UTC

__Kit wrote:I air guitar and lip sync a lo of music.

i air guitar, everywhere whenever the feeling strikes me.

I bet i look fairly odd, especially at a restaurant.

keep on rockin brother!
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

deadly penguin

Postby deadly penguin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:43 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:
Castaway wrote:I get "the spinning problem" a lot with swings, oddly specific, right?

no, it's the same with me...

Same here!

Also I write things like "Oh me yarm Oh" or "w00t!" on notes. And a ton of smileys.
Once I even got bored and turned a word problem into a supervillan.
A surveyor needed to find the height of a certain object with it's angle of elevation (or something like that). After drawing a diagram, I gave the stick figure surveyor a caption: First the <object>, next the world!. Then next to the answer I drew him again, laughing evilly and surveying the world.
(Ok, that's completely off topic, but I think it's funny.)

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:24 pm UTC

une see wrote:
Alisto wrote:I drink my taking the liquid into my mouth, putting it into my cheek like a little reservoir, then drink from that little pocket of water/orange juice/whatever.

I say "shen me" instead of "what?" It's Mandarin and began as just a comical thing. Now, though, it's reflexive. There are certain other words I always think in Chinese, too. If I try to speak any Spanish, I always say "wo" instead of "yo". (wo = I/me in Chinese)

I love to peel things. Paint, sunburned skin, fingernails... if it can be peeled, I'll peel it.

Give me a high five, fellow Chinaperson!

Yeah. Seriously?

Edit: I forgot the most important part. *high five*
Hey, you speak Chinese? Any chance you could tell me what the Chinese in this song means? I've always wondered.

Maybe my weird habit is a vast overabundance of curiosity. I always want to know the answers, damnit! Okay, here, that's probably not considered weird in the slightest. But normal people seem to think so

Oh, and as a sidenote, this isn't really an odd habit, but I fucking hate the way you spell 'curious, but when it goes to 'curiosity', you lose the U. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE, DAMNIT!
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

CorranH wrote:Hey, you speak Chinese? Any chance you could tell me what the Chinese in this song means? I've always wondered.

Maybe my weird habit is a vast overabundance of curiosity. I always want to know the answers, damnit! Okay, here, that's probably not considered weird in the slightest. But normal people seem to think so

Oh, and as a sidenote, this isn't really an odd habit, but I fucking hate the way you spell 'curious, but when it goes to 'curiosity', you lose the U. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE, DAMNIT!

Sorry, but I can't understand what that person's singing in that song. Either, it's a really strange accent, or I just can't understand it.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

une see wrote:
CorranH wrote:Hey, you speak Chinese? Any chance you could tell me what the Chinese in this song means? I've always wondered.

Sorry, but I can't understand what that person's singing in that song. Either, it's a really strange accent, or I just can't understand it.
Curses! Foiled again!

Ah well, thanks for taking a shot at it. I almost didn't ask, because, "Oh, you speak Chinese? Translate this for me!" had a bit too much of a 'Dance, monkey, dance!' vibe to it. But, in the end, as I said, I just had to know.

And now I still don't know AND feel like just a bit of a presumptuous ass. Win-win!
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

darry

Postby darry » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:07 pm UTC

i can't set alarms for 12am or pm exactly, it has to be 11:59 or 12:01 as i'm always worried that the clock/watch/whatever will mix up the times and it'll go off in the middle of the day/night.

when i walk into my house, i always try to touch the carpet at the top of the stairs before the door closes behind me. i'm not really sure what happens if i don't. there are lots of other similar ones to this, and they're just as boring!

CatProximity wrote:awesome. chieftain seconded. Adding zeppelin.

djn

Postby djn » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

darry wrote:i can't set alarms for 12am or pm exactly, it has to be 11:59 or 12:01 as i'm always worried that the clock/watch/whatever will mix up the times and it'll go off in the middle of the day/night.

Get a 24-hour clock, and make your life a little bit easier. :)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

une see wrote:

I've always heard that the pronunciations between Mandarin and Cantonese are so alien to each other to be incomprehensible, while sharing the same alphabet/spelling/pictograms/whatever.. same written, different spoken.

Amirite?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

puzzle
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:24 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I've always heard that the pronunciations between Mandarin and Cantonese are so alien to each other to be incomprehensible, while sharing the same alphabet/spelling/pictograms/whatever.. same written, different spoken.

Amirite?

If you didn't grow up in China being constantly exposed to both dialects, then it's tough. If you picked it up as a second language, good luck. The pronunciations range from slightly to radically different, and Cantonese has something like 8 tones compared to Mandarin's four.

Cantonese sounds really weird and awkward to me. I'll stick with Mandarin.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:34 pm UTC

I have conversations with people who aren't there.

No, wait, not in a crazy way. Well sort of in a crazy way I guess. But I bet it would be entertaining to watch so it's okay.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

<off topic>Why does an option with 0% of the vote have a bar of length >0?</off>
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

deadly penguin

Postby deadly penguin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:45 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:I have conversations with people who aren't there.

No, wait, not in a crazy way. Well sort of in a crazy way I guess. But I bet it would be entertaining to watch so it's okay.

Actually, I kinda do that too >.<
I start daydreaming and before I know it I'm in some argument with someone in this daydream: complete with frustrated facial gestures (for some reason the person never gets it) and gestures. And let's not forget the muttering!

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:54 pm UTC

deadly penguin wrote:

I start daydreaming and before I know it I'm in some argument with someone in this daydream: complete with frustrated facial gestures (for some reason the person never gets it) and gestures. And let's not forget the muttering!

I'm not alone! :D
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:01 am UTC

deadly penguin wrote:

I also do this - although I argue something with myself. Do I spend the $50 on the movie, or do I go buy books? is a famous one for me (books usually wins...). But I do this while walking, sitting on the bus, whatever, in a slightly-louder-than-a-whisper whisper. For a while, I was just holding my cell phone up to my ear pretending to be on the phone, but then I thought, Meh, screw it. This is what I do. I love the fact I'm not alone.

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:52 am UTC

Because that's the minimum length.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:56 am UTC

I cut sandwiches in unconventional ways and make an inordinately big deal of it to anyone present at the time. Usually off-center diagonal, but sometimes S-cut or sort of a greater-than/less-than sign cut. Jigsaw cut didn't work too well. Exponent curve cut has a poor crust-to-filling ratio. Etc., etc.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:24 pm UTC

Apparently, based on here, I'm the only one who eats parmesean (and possibly other kinds) of cheese by itself. Couple of pieces of parmasean by itself - mmmm mmm mmm....

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:25 pm UTC

I love cheese and I certainly eat cheese alone. The stinkier the better!
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:15 pm UTC

chrispy1 wrote:Apparently, based on here, I'm the only one who eats parmesean (and possibly other kinds) of cheese by itself. Couple of pieces of parmasean by itself - mmmm mmm mmm....

I do, too! I like to get a few pinches while I cook with it, too. I love that nuttiness. Mmmmmmmm........

Return to “General”