Sleep-time holodeck experiences

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

patzer

Re: What were your dreams last night?

Postby patzer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Dreamt that I was going to visit my sister, who for some reason was living on Mars, and I was surprised to discover that Mars had been terraformed, and the atmosphere was thin and smelt odd due to a different combination of gases, but breathable.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Most has faded by now. Was playing some sort of card game similar to Solforge with ranked up cards in silver and gold. iirc this was in my old middle school. Man, there were lots of details and they've all slipped away.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

I was doing something with a cast iron pan when something happened and I was exposed to lethal amounts of radiation (as you know, iron is highly unstable). The rest of my dream was me coping (quite well) with my imminent demise, people generally feeling sorry for me, as well as something else going on that I can't quite remember.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

There were ghosts of ancestors or people who just lived before everywhere, normally invisible except I could see them in flashes. You know that fx combo where you see flashes, usually flashbacks or memories of figuring-out-the-puzzle-afterwards where there's a white light, a "wooshing" or whip-like sound. That plus white outlines of these ghosts. And they were controlling everybody's behaviors like puppets, and this is how it always is.

Also I was in a large house with multiple stories. In the basement there was a movie theater, and I figured that by pushing a button my chair would rise on a pedestal like elevator slowly up to the next level. There was a tiny white bedroom with smooth curving walls and a tall space where the sunlight came down, and I realized that if it rained there was nothing to stop the water from coming down here too. Despite how clean and neat it looked this was some sort of cell instead of a bedroom; I climbed up to see if there was any mechanism to close the sunroof that perhaps was just not obvious. Above there was a large bedroom and a kitchen/dining room; actually multiple bedrooms, all done in this white-decor tech style. The master bedroom had a king sized bed, which was at first impressive, then I realized the place was mine, and I didn't want a big bed and all the furniture and needless things. What I crave was simplicity. Also, this was previously the room of Prince (then King) Doran Martell from ASOIAF.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

I have been dreaming a lot.
I wake up not knowing what is real for a few moments.
That is weird. The dreams are almost the same as my life.

I hate that. It is like dreaming about a job that sucks.
Don't I get a break? Not even in sleep?

Fuck You Universe!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

I dreamt I was in some rich friend's really fancy house, where there were lots of glass and crystal furnitures and chandeliers and things. The friend showed me their "Google Glass", which was not real-life Google Glass but was still an eye-mounted computer thingy. It provided a sort of video game HUD overlay of the whole world, with tiny thin blue-white lines and text (which was somehow really quick and easy to read) providing comprehensive information about anything I "selected" with my mind, and made me feel like an all-knowing genius with so much information at my fingertips. Selected items also got a blue-white highlight to them, and I could pull up a menu for those selected items, or directly manipulate them with my mental cursor, to remotely control them, e.g. I looked up at a chandelier and selected individual bulbs to turn them on and off, and selected the drawers of an antique dresser to slide them open and closed from across the room. In the dream (as in reality) I had previously been very skeptical by the promise of Google Glass, but in the dream I was thinking "ok, this is actually really really fucking cool, and I want one now! How does it even work!?"

Then while I was playing with it some kind of disaster happened, like an explosion or a tornado hit the house or something which wrecked the place and left us all lying injured around the room. Most of my friends were dead or critically wounded, and the house was completely torn open, like it had been ripped in half. I still had the "Google Glass" on, but it was broken and smashed and only one eyepieces was still dangling from the part of the frame hooked on my left ear. I pulled that one eyepiece up to my eye and though it flickered on and off like it was about to fail, I noticed there was some kind of error message on the screen saying something to the effect of "It appears a disaster has occurred. Would you like to revert to the last safe state?" like life was a video game and it was asking if I wanted to revert back to my last save. I mind-clicked "yes" to the message and was suddenly back at the start of the dream.

By that point I had realized I was dreaming and that the "Google Glass" I had been playing with was not real, and that destroyed all the magic of it for me, I lost interest and woke up.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

There was a guy at some public event -- actually I think it was on a cruise ship -- who was wearing a suit and tie and looked like a movie star. His job was to go around to destroy some things that weren't supposed to be on the ship. These things came in three categories: "left", "right", and "up". So he went around to different areas of the ship, and pointed left with his thumb, destroying all the "left" items in the area, and pointed right with his thumb, destroying all the "right" items in the area, then pointed up, not with his thumb but with a device that looked like a microphone, destroying all the "up" items in the area. Whenever he destroyed one of the items, my entire field of view flashed orange and yellow, and with the "up" items a spherical object appeared in the center of my vision.

Then there was an air conditioner that had a laser on it (it was part of how it worked), so whenever you went to do something with the air conditioner you had to be careful not to let any part of your body get in the way of the laser beam or you'd get hurt. I was putting marbles into the AC because it needed them for some reason, but I accidentally put some marbles in that I hadn't wanted to (they were yellowish green and had some sort of design on them). As I was trying to get them back out one fell on the floor, and I had to crawl under a bed to get it. There was a radio under the bed, and I kept bumping the on button and couldn't get it to turn off. And somehow I knew that one of those things the guy on the cruise ship was blowing up was inside the radio.

And there was also something about somebody with a towel on their head, and my dad playing a computer game in MS-DOS.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

In truly epic, excessive, and stomach-churning detail, I was forced (for some reason that was never made explicitly clear) to cut my foot off with a very large serrated kitchen knife. Bit by bit. Tendons were snapping and going back into my foot, the bones parted with surprising ease, and there was less blood than I thought, which just meant I could see all the muscles and nerves and blood vessels better. I had to keep cutting more off because... well, I still don't really know why. I was pretty much at my ankle when I woke up.

... Note to self: less whisky on Wednesdays.

cplns

Postby cplns » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Benedict Cumberbatch visited my mother's restaurant. In the middle of his meal, he had a heart attack. My mother performed CPR but unfortunately he died. Most people just regarded this as a tragedy, but the fangirls of tumblr and the whole of the UK declared war on my family for "murdering" him. Just before I woke up, I found a bomb rigged to our front door.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

cplns wrote:Benedict Cumberbatch visited my mother's restaurant. In the middle of his meal, he had a heart attack. My mother performed CPR but unfortunately he died. Most people just regarded this as a tragedy, but the fangirls of tumblr and the whole of the UK declared war on my family for "murdering" him. Just before I woke up, I found a bomb rigged to our front door.

I started reading this post without realizing which thread I was in.

Almost heard a heart-attack of my own.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

The South Park kids were in hell or something close to it. They were competing to be servants or something for different people, or maybe to have servants.

Some criminals had taken over something. The boss was walking around giving directions. I knew him, and we argued - it was one of those movie like things - forum friend turns evil, or the like. I was going to fight them, but there were too many people. Wanted to call the cops, but they had a cell phone jammer thing. There was a grandma and little girl that walked around, and got taken hostage or something - but there were already tons of other hostages. They tried calling the cops on a pay phone, but the cops ignored them, or the bad guys controlled the police or something. Then there was this office area, that was open to the street area that all this was going on. I had earlier seen the cell phone jammer in this area in a wood cabinet, guarded by this mean middle aged woman, like Cathy Bates. I somehow got over there, opened the cabinet, stole the jammer, then smashed it with an empty box of cough medicine pills. I had to fight her off while doing this, and was also a woman for some reason. Then the cops came and we fought the bad guys. Also at some point, there were all these young kids that I knew weren't really bad, but had been hired or were just kind of joined up with the bad guys. They were just kind of in the way, so I walked around grabbing them by the back of the neck and back of the pants, and throwing them on the ground, kinda in a pile. Sometimes I didn't do a good job of throwing them, and they just kind of stumbled then stood up straight again. THe guys just let me do this, and didn't fight back. Also, after the jammer was destroyed, I walked around hitting people with a very large roll of aluminum foil. Then there was this crazy parade with credits rolling and a thing with clowns, and all the people that had been in the dream. Like a combo of the Music Man finale, and like Alice in Wonderland. Also for some reason it made me think of Shakespeare, and that this was a play.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

diyakapoor

Postby diyakapoor » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:35 am UTC

I killed someone in my dream last night...l

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Something caused most of the Earth's atmosphere to get sucked away, leaving just enough for everyone to breathe for a few days. Scientists were supplying people with tanks of some gas that they could breathe, to make the oxygen last longer, but it wasn't as good as oxygen. I kept seeing people talking on cell phones, and I was mad at them for talking, using up the oxygen faster. I was worried about dying when all the oxygen got used up in a few days, but part of me was also glad to get a good view of the stars without all that atmosphere in the way.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Tuesday morning I woke from a dream I remembered very little of.

In this dream I was conversing with this woman I had gone on a date with, and who I was going on a date with again that night*. Like, an honest conversation, the sort I haven't had with anyone in a really long time (at least six years), heartfelt, completely honest, with actual caring. So as I was waking up, I said something to her about how low the odds were that this would work out. She acknowledged that it would probably end really soon. I woke up feeling pretty sad, partially because of the conclusion, and the rest because it was so nice to communicate with and care and feel cared for by someone in that manner, though it probably never happens that way in the real world with non-dream people with minds not constructed from mine, and I didn't want to wake up. I had to check after waking to make sure I didn't sleep-call her.

*it didn't go so well. Neither of us were feeling...much, I think. It was awkward, unceasingly rainy outside, neither of us had done much of anything that day, I felt like a zombie, and she seemed to also.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:53 am UTC

The human soul crying in its sleep.
Crying for love and understanding.

We, humans, need one another.
It is so difficult to communicate across the chasm between us.

I'm sorry to know the dream ended in a clumsy reality.
I hope the next time you reach out with your heart in your hand, it is taken by a walking dream.
***edit***
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByBdGvh5E08
Dream stuff.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Brace

Postby Brace » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

I had a dream that was basically a survival horror themed platformer. There were a bunch of characters, only they were all real people and I was one of them. We were in a very dark Victorian style mansion, seemingly underground. I got to a glowing orb first and it gave me the ability to jump, so I jumped up where I had gotten it and found a new area. I went west and found a room with all sorts of creepy things. The most salient was a telephone connected to a pair of headphones randomly, also a clock of some kind that was jury-rigged in a weird way. From the context of the game I knew it was for the room directly downstairs. It was a puzzle room that immediately starts flooding the moment a single person is alone in it. When they reach the top there are some numbers scratched into the ceiling and a phone. Previously, this room had been entered and the person had drowned while nobody had been able to help. These felt like memories from a past life. Anyway, I knew that if I left the room I was currently in, I wouldn't be able to get back into it and people would just continue drowning and being reborn again forever, so I stayed there for what seemed like years. I was able to keep track of the passage of time by my physical development. Finally the puzzle got solved, and so I returned to the regular room and found the people I was with, who were ecstatic to see me; they had basically been looking for me this whole time instead of doing anything else. Only the reason the room had been flooding was because of a poltergeist who had also been set free when the puzzle was completed, so later in the game a much larger grand atrium type deal flooded while we were all in it and we had to coordinate perfectly to escape.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:19 pm UTC

Remember bits and pieces.

Was going a treasure hunt, like National Treasure. Trying to find old hidden items. I had found the first one, was in an apartment looking for the second. Except there was somebody else there, and they were my enemy. So I was trying to look around without them seeing where I was looking. It was a woman's apartment, and she was part of a burlesque show or something. At one point I was at the top of a Z staircase and looked down to see her crabwalking down the stairs in lingerie. I also found a hidden area that I thought held whatever I was searching for, but it turned out to be her living area, as the rest of the place was more like a historical landmark museum feel to it.

Another part - was a Represntative, and was trying to get into the Capitol. We came up with a plan for me to walk up casually with another guy, while my limo dropped off a fake at the front door. We were doing this because people were chasing me with guns. This may have been due to the aforementioned treasure hunt. When I got in, there were hearings or something. I ended up trying to get a conceal carry permit for the Capitol, because I wanted to protect myself.

Also, there was a part with two women in bed with me at a hotel.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:21 pm UTC

watched way too much tolkien last night...

me and my three closest friends were a part of an adventuring party, and EVERYONE i had seen yesterday entered at some point.

i don't remember what we were doing, i just remember much chaos, fighting, and smooching that cute girl at the japanese market. *sigh*

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:06 pm UTC

Katya from Archer died and Krieger stole the body. It was in bad shape, and he was putting it back together. He put one of the hands on backwards. Later, someone, maybe Katya, was giving him crap about this. Then a woman with a great body was wearing this white dress with a big slit down the front. Turned out she had a penis. Then after a discussion about something, she had sex with Krieger. Then they somehow had twins boys that morphed out of something. And Katya became a guy. So they all lived inside this big house, and never left. One day when the boys were teens, something happened that made them leave the house. They went outside and met two girls about the same age. They talked about their lives, but the girls didn't believe them. There were big crowds around, because there was a parade or something that day. Part of the parade was a citizenship thing, given by someone famous - a judge, possibly from the SCOTUS. She was a small shrivelled black woman. The boys decided to become citizens, because the house they grew up in was officially not part of the US. So the judge did a repeat after me thing, but each part was only for certain people - like the first part was for people that moved into the country, second ???, third was about founders of the country(and only people that weren't paying attention talked at that point) and the boys waited until the end do repeat the part that applied to them, and people gave them weird looks because of what it said.

Then the boys and the two girls they'd met started walking around. One of the two was walking on this lawn, talking about how he'd never been outside or walked in the sun. The other was on a porch, looking at flowers in hanging baskets. Then something about the girls being at a shop, and stealing things. One started stealing things, and the other used her red scarf to grab something, then shove it down her blouse between her boobs. One of the shop people got called away, so they were able to steal more.

Then the boys were swimming underwater, and trying to get into a submarine from below. At this point they reminded me of the Venture Brothers. Hank went ahead, and the baseball cap he was wearing came off. His brother told him to go get it, but Hank said he didn't need it, and it was slowing him down. So Dean dumped his hat too. They were large yellow trucker-ish style hats with red lettering on them.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:54 pm UTC

Someone genetically engineered or found (aliens?) these creatures who looked like the Swedish Chef, except they were about 7 ft tall and super strong. They were called Flumbles.

All difficult labor was given to the Flumbles, who weren't very bright, but if told how to do something would keep doing it, perfectly.

Everyone had a Flumble as a personal servant, and they'd cook & clean and everything.

It was awesome - until one of them snapped and killed its family - then all of them all over the world rose up and started killing everyone - the one we had in our house was making spaghetti when it flipped out and threw boiling water at us.

I woke up still terrified it was standing in the dark waiting for us.

Edit: they mumbled to themselves, all the time. they never stopped - except when attacking people.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:52 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:Someone genetically engineered or found (aliens?) these creatures who looked like the Swedish Chef, except they were about 7 ft tall and super strong. They were called Flumbles.

All difficult labor was given to the Flumbles, who weren't very bright, but if told how to do something would keep doing it, perfectly.

Everyone had a Flumble as a personal servant, and they'd cook & clean and everything.

It was awesome - until one of them snapped and killed its family - then all of them all over the world rose up and started killing everyone - the one we had in our house was making spaghetti when it flipped out and threw boiling water at us.

I woke up still terrified it was standing in the dark waiting for us.

Edit: they mumbled to themselves, all the time. they never stopped - except when attacking people.

ok. That is a weird dream.
Do you know anyone that mumbles to themselves?

Do you have talk to them about it?
It was all going along so well,
until The Servants turned on you.

Do you have a Maid?
Did you tell the Maid about your dream?

Don't. If the Maid is American,
it may start mumbling to bother you.

Sometimes having a Maid is worse than having family.
A little Brother grows up.

A Maid might be as grown as it will ever get.
EDIT:
I had one!

In the dream I was hanging out with others under deciduous trees.
Birds flew in.

First, just, a few.
Of course, we all froze. Waiting,

Then there were bunnies and birds and other fauna.
So many! I decided to break the human silence.

Everyone was Gone.
The flora and fauna remained.
The others, like me, were gone.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:04 am UTC

There was a baby tiger in my garden, or maybe just a small dog painted to look like a tiger, either way it was very cute. Then I woke up, except it was just a false awakening. Or maybe it was a real awakening, since I sometimes remember real things as far and distant as if they were dreams, but I doubt it. Then I think the same cycle repeated once (dream, fake awakening), and then again I was at a students residence (aka "residence hall" or "dorm" in the US), hanging outside a window, and there was that absolutely gorgeous girl inside (don't look at me like that, she was my same age) and then I realised that I could turn this into a lucid dream (definitely not to have sex with her or anything.. :oops: ). It was super easy (I have only lucid dreamed once and it was ages ago, but I read more about it), but I only got as far as talking to someone before "waking up" again. But I thought, no problem, since I was already stuck in a half-dreaming state (which actually was more like dream-and-a-half) I'd just fall asleep and try again. And sure enough, I could, except this time I was somewhere else and the lucid dream kept "fading away" and I had to pause every few steps to focus on it (I discovered that I could feel the dream world and "outside" world at the same time). Then I got actually woken up.

So I was stuck in a half-lucid-dream-within-a-dream state for an hour, all because I tried to wake up earlier than usual.

Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:44 pm UTC

I was driving down a highway, and my car started to overheat, so I pulled over and took the radiator cap off to check my coolant levels. Realistically, the coolant exploded all over me. Unrealistically, rather than burning from 300 degree coolant spread over my clothes and skin, it poisoned me instead. The rest of the dream had me succumbing to neurological damage and dying slowly, becoming paralysed and demented.

loveisdead

Postby loveisdead » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:42 pm UTC

It wasn't last night, but a few nights ago I had a dream where I forgot that I had a final the next day and what final it was. I haven't been in school for years, and I don't miss that feeling.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:58 am UTC

Refused Christmas gifts from a grandparent (before seeing them). Misunderstood the reason. Gave old home videos of Christmases from 1992 and 1994. Supposedly rejected them due to not being on "flexidiscs". (Recorded them on videotape cassettes.) Led to an argument. Watched television shortly afterward, likely under protest. May or may not have been said videos. Recalls it being a "Funniest Home Videos" of something.

Remembers a third, unlabeled videotape cassette with onion protruding from it also. Altered the content, presumably.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

i scored the business a major contract making us all very rich. 6 months later, i find a creepy stalker has been working in the office, taking my things, and hand crocheted a skirt for me which they covered in tar. i was extremely disturbed, then woke up.

goddamit can i stop thinking/dreaming about this stupid contract?!?!

loveisdead

Postby loveisdead » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:12 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:i scored the business a major contract making us all very rich. 6 months later, i find a creepy stalker has been working in the office, taking my things, and hand crocheted a skirt for me which they covered in tar. i was extremely disturbed, then woke up.

I'm waiting on my first sales to come in, which are very close. I know the feeling.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:25 pm UTC

loveisdead wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:i scored the business a major contract making us all very rich. 6 months later, i find a creepy stalker has been working in the office, taking my things, and hand crocheted a skirt for me which they covered in tar. i was extremely disturbed, then woke up.

I'm waiting on my first sales to come in, which are very close. I know the feeling.

*hugs*

last night was EVEN WEIRDER

again with the contract stuff (literally)

I was agent 47 from hitman absolution, except i was running around my local town. people were hunting me down for some reason. im not sure of everything that went on, all i know was it was firm in my mind that i had to do what i was doing to fulfill my contract (at work) also got chased around by a very VERY obese older woman who became inexplicably attracted to me. wtf *shrug*

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:31 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
loveisdead wrote:

*hugs*

last night was EVEN WEIRDER

again with the contract stuff (literally)

I was agent 47 from hitman absolution, except i was running around my local town. people were hunting me down for some reason. im not sure of everything that went on, all i know was it was firm in my mind that i had to do what i was doing to fulfill my contract (at work) also got chased around by a very VERY obese older woman who became inexplicably attracted to me. wtf *shrug*

Was it like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W4Bn3OiSng

Dreams are surreal.
Movies are surreal.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

SnookieCookie

Postby SnookieCookie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:21 am UTC

I dreamt I was at work and we made a program. But there was a glitch and it made people angry. They ran some tests overnight and when I came in the next morning the office was full of dead people. They determined the program made 1 out of every 3 users murderous mad at the programmers.

Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:24 pm UTC

Do you work for Microsoft?

SnookieCookie

Postby SnookieCookie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:12 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:Do you work for Microsoft?

Worse than Microsoft :wink: . I don't make programs, it was just a dream.
Maybe it was because a new program we use was having so many problems (no not from Microsoft).
Azuler is the ruler,
Vytron is the drooler,
LMAO silly molpies

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:15 am UTC

Not last night (maybe 2, 3 nights ago?) I had a dream that I was some sort of Medieval feudal lord. I was visiting one of my possessions -- a rather damp island -- and one of my vassals, a somewhat impoverished minor noble. I thought my vassal seemed sort of depressed, and thought that the island wasn't good for him (more because of its social scene, which seemed like a kind of judgmental, xenophobic crab bucket, than because of the weather or his poverty). I urged him to take up the cross and go on a crusade, not really so much for religious reasons, as because I thought it would be good for him to get off of the island and maybe find a new social circle in Outremer. He dragged his feet and said that he had a lot of stuff to take care of on the island.

Brace

Postby Brace » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:09 pm UTC

I had another dream that was basically an entire story, just missing a middle. It was done in the style of a futuristic sci-fi anime like Ghost in the Shell, but was a movie. The story takes place at a time where the network infrastructure is so advanced, messages can be sent at faster than light speed, opening up the possibility of sending messages to the past. However, how far they can be sent in the past is determined by power limitations, and the act of sending a message into the past is banned and extreme resources are invested to make sure it isn't done. The story starts with an Interpol agent driving through a tunnel from Honshu to Hokkaido in a mostly self-driving car, talking to his superiors (an older, slightly obese man with a mustache, and a much leaner guy who looks like he's in his 30s) over video phone about a terrorist he's in pursuit of. The terrorist is assumed to be heading to a remote facility for undefined reasons. He sounds focused but relaxed. Suddenly, all of the cars stop and the lights go out, and the tunnel resorts to emergency lighting. There are motorcyclists in the tunnels as well, and the bikes aren't self-driving, but they mostly stop out of curiosity (a couple just continuing on by weaving through stalled traffic). The terrorist comes on over the monitors in the tunnel (there are monitors placed every few hundred feet, in such a way that one can basically watch them continuously even while driving). He speaks in a matter-of-fact way, saying he has infected all of the maintenance robots in the tunnel with a virus that will make them kill the people there, that he knows there is an interpol agent after him and wants to make sure he is "removed from this tedious game", and that he is then going to take his revenge on humanity.

Upon realizing that he's been found out, the interpol agent starts yelling and generally being very obviously and uniquely upset. Behind him nearby, a motorcyclist fiddles with an arm-mounted computer on her left arm. She opens her helmet and shouts "hey mister, I can get you out of here but I'll need you to work with me. Deal?" Pissed off, the guy shouts "no!", and rushes towards a utility closet, which he breaks open. He is fiddling around with a control panel trying to shut down the robots, but nothing is working. Over video headset one of his supervisors (the older one) comes on and says "it's not going to work, the firmware has been rewritten". The man responds "how is that possible? That's not a fast job, how did he have time to set it up for me? How did he know I'd even be here???" The supervisor says, "I don't know, but you need to find a way to get out of there, and fast." "What about all these people?" The older man shakes his head, his eyes filling with water, and speaks softly "Kaito, I don't even see how you're going to get out of there." The robots are now closing in on cars behind him. Tearing people out, tearing them apart. Some of them are crawling into cars and smashing people around inside. The motorcyclists at this point are all heading for the hills. People are getting out of cars and running. One biker stops to take a kid from her mother, who is holding him up. Our biker is looking at her wrist computer, paging through information files for the robots. What she sees is very unpleasant, but she can't edit it in any way. At this point, Kaito runs out and looks back, seeing what is going on. He's starting to realize how bad the situation is, when our biker pulls up to him. "Get on!", she yells, and he doesn't argue. The thought crosses his mind, I said no; goddamn I'm a moron. The bike pulls off. Some people are trying to ask for help but there's nothing that can be done. They blow past them. Kaito gets a message on his headset showing a proximity alert for another phone, so he calls the number, which in context is clearly a headset built into the biker's helmet.

"So just what the hell is going on? Who was that guy?" she asks. He gives a brief explanation and introduces himself. She introduces herself as Karen. They're having to dodge robots now, and eventually it gets so cluttered that forward motion becomes impossible. "In there", says Kaito, and the ride into another, much larger utility area, stopping to close the door and propping the motorcycle against it. "This is the central maintenance and control room. We have to figure out a way to stop those things, or at least slow them down until the National Police can get here". "Well, you've got a strange kind of lucky going for you; I'm something of a hacker", laughs the biker nervously. She's taken off her helmet now and they're approaching a computer workstation. They review the situation but there's nothing that can be done. There's pounding at the door now. Karen then reveals another option; she's been working with a deeply underground group of hackers to try and gain the ability to send a message back in time. They had been getting close, and the intention was just to send a timestamped "hello world" type message as proof of concept and to secure bragging rights. She contacts these people and tells them the situation, and tells them that this information needs to be conveyed to Kaito and interpol. They very reluctantly agree. Then the robots burst through and kill them.

Lap 2: This one starts with Kaito several days further back, in the office with his two compatriots. They receive the message. This time they're able to plan ahead. Everything seems to go smoothly. The robots aren't able to be reprogrammed this time. Through circumstance, the terrorist escapes again, and takes the tunnel again. Kaito follows him, and once more the tunnel is shut down. The terrorist reveals that he has kidnapped both of Kaito's compatriots, as well as their families and his family. He has a torture device that plugs directly into the nervous system, and threatens that he will use it unless Kaito kills himself. He has met up with Karen again in this run, and is about to kill himself when she knocks the gun out of his hand. The terrorist says "very well", and the screens go dark. Kaito goes ballistic and starts attacking Karen, but for the most part all he succeeds in doing is breaking both of his fists on her helmet and cracking the visor. She explains about the ability to send a message into the past, and once more a message is sent. Kaito slumps against a wall and things fade to white.

Over the course of however many cycles, various things are revealed. Who the "lap" starts off following depends on who the message is sent to (it's sent to Karen a couple of times instead of Interpol). The terrorist was once an engineer responsible for the development of superluminal communication. Before he signed onto the project, his son came down with terminal cancer. He had worked extremely hard, forsaking both his wife and child, under the notion that if the project were completed before his son died, then he could theoretically send information about the cure for cancer back in time later and prevent it. Only his son died before the project was completed. He was heartbroken, and his wife saw this and wanted to do something to help him, but while she was out looking for a way to do this she was hit by a car and killed. This woke him up a bit and he actually felt a bit better, because he realized even if he couldn't help his son, he could help his wife. However, the world court decided to make it illegal to send messages back in time. He ignored this, and was sentenced to prison for 10 years. 10 years took him beyond the power requirements capable of being generated to send a message back in time, so his wife was now permanently dead also.

Karen was originally from North Dakota, her father a Japanese national and her mother an ethnically dutch farmgirl who met at university. She qualified for dual citizenship, but both she and her mother found life in Japan unpleasant. This led to an estrangement, with her mother moving back to the United States and her moving with her. Due to the pressures of her early life and the relative freedom of living under a single parent, she became socially withdrawn and got heavily into computers and other traditionally nerdy interests. A funny moment occurs when Kaito is shown a picture from her childhood of her watching anime on a laptop while a prototype flying car is being tested in the background, with her oblivious to or uninterested in this.

Kaito is from a family that very recently came up in status, who were traditionally Kansai-area farmers. He prides himself very heavily on his metropolitan lifestyle and sensibilities and this, in addition to Karen's western sensibilities, is a point of friction between them.

Anyway, everything after that is kind of a blur. Only, the terrorist keeps setting traps, and Kaito and Karen keep sending messages back (and obviously the terrorist is able to continue setting traps because he has found a way to send messages back himself). On Lap n, Eventually the situation gets to the point where they're actually in the same place as the terrorist, and they have the option of blowing everything up, killing a lot of people including themselves (but preventing the terrorist from reaching his ultimate goal, which would be catastrophic for the entire human race). Karen is being held hostage for some reason. I don't know why, but I think the idea is that neither the terrorist nor Kaito yet realize that he's going to blow everything up; it comes in a flash of revelation, when he realizes this is the closest he's going to get to a good resolution, and they've been going in circles for a while and would continue doing so indefinitely. When Kaito realizes it, he asks Karen "How is North Dakota this time of year?" (it's February). She laughs, her eyes brimming with tears. "Beautiful", she says, then shrugs "miserable". He smiles, and says "it's actually not that bad of a combination". She nods. At this point the terrorist realized what's happening but it's too late. Kaito blows everything up. The screen fades to black, the credits start to roll, and after a minute or so of silence the ending music kicks in.

Full disclosure, a very small amount of this I needed to dig out of my brain from the place where the dream came from, so it wasn't technically part of the dream, although it was necessary to make it into anything approaching a coherent story.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:36 am UTC

That may be even better than your previous epic dream about waking up in the future.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:42 am UTC

Dreamed that I worked at the register at a Safeway on a really slow day.

Made me realize I never want to work there.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:40 pm UTC

dreamed i was climbing up a black, shifting triangle. for HOURS.

I feel more exhausted now than when i went to sleep.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:42 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:dreamed i was climbing up a black, shitting triangle. for HOURS.

So.. that's what I read. And my god, that would be exhausting. Also, the hell were you eating that it's triangles?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:46 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:dreamed i was climbing up a black, shitting triangle. for HOURS.

So.. that's what I read. And my god, that would be exhausting. Also, the hell were you eating that it's triangles?

7/11 soda and hostess cupcakes for dinner.

I am not a smart man.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:01 pm UTC

I was following a series of clues to find a treasure or something, and there were booby traps along the way. I narrowly avoided getting killed three times. Then when I was almost to the treasure, Bugs Bunny showed up and tried to steal it.

Return to “General”