Sleep-time holodeck experiences

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

emceng

Re: What were your dreams last night?

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:31 pm UTC

I was in a house that was rickety and kind of thrown together. Like a wood building in an old west town. I was kind of in a video game. Was walking around in the house, and fought an enemy. Looked around more, and went out on the back porch. Saw a big box full of phone books, and decided to use them to insulate a room or something in the house. When walking back into the house to find a room, I noticed there were gaps in the floor boards. Then I turned around, and saw a lion-like creature under the floor, and I was trying to figure out how to kill him from afar to get experience. Maybe using a long stick to poke him or something. Then I think fought another creature. Went to loot it, and a weird menu popped up. It seeme dlike really poorly done UI for an rpg. Then at one point I was trying to loot, and realized my grandmother had to do it, and she got some pictures of family from the loot window.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

MoffKalast

Postby MoffKalast » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:59 pm UTC

I dont remember anything from last night but the dream i remember most of them all is one i had years ago about me being in the cellar of my school when i suddently saw an alien lurking in the dark (for some reason i was expecting it) and started running up the stairs skipping every other and not looking back. After getting to the second floor i ran down a hallway and saw that the alien was no longer an alien but some kind of robot/android/terminator thing. I also noticed that the school was arranged in a rather peculiar way with some parts duplicated/missing. Then before i knew it, it was a shopping centre and i was falling down some trees. Weird.

I partially remember another short dream i had recently. It was something about me programming and getting mad at java for working in a completely different way than in real life and windows setting my code on fire or something... also i often get this sort of dreams where i'm completely convinced about something (for example like having a second car or winning the lottery, etc) and i wake up thinking its still true, and then i see something that doesnt quite add up and i'm all like: Wait a second...OH

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:39 pm UTC

MoffKalast wrote:also i often get this sort of dreams where i'm completely convinced about something (for example like having a second car or winning the lottery, etc) and i wake up thinking its still true, and then i see something that doesnt quite add up and i'm all like: Wait a second...OH

When I was a kid I had a flying dream and was convinced I could fly for two days afterwards. I was very disappointed when, after many attempts, I realised that I could not.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:49 am UTC

I don't seem to have new dreams.
I recycle the old ones.

I have a reoccurring dream.
In the dream, I am wearing a white uniform.
I am standing beside a hospital bed.

An announcement comes onto the patient's television.
There has been a Major EarthQuake in San Francisco.
The epicenter is about two hundred miles south of us.

Then it Hits us.
I feel that helpless feeling as things that don't move start moving.
The view out of the window shifts, Wrong.

We can't get out of the building,
we are too deep and too high up to get out.

My patients can't run.
I have no where to run to.

In the dream, the quaking never stops.
I wake up, before the quiet sets in.

After a major disaster, there is usually some quiet before we get up and start yelling for and at each other.
In the dream it is quiet the whole time.

I can hear the TV.
I don't hear what the patient says.

The announcement is made,
I say, "oh. I missed it."
Then it hits us.

I have been hit with that exact same earthquake dozens of times.
I am not bitching about being tired of it.

I worry that I might get it mixed up with reality.
That did not happen. It was a dream.

I saw a major earthquake announced on a patient's TV in Real Life.
In Real Life, I said, "oh. I missed it."

In Real Life we were not hit with a major quake.
We got a few little tremors.

I got a long term reoccurring dream for some weird internal reason.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:52 am UTC

That is really interesting (and a little unsettling, I imagine).

I used to have an infrequently-recurring dream about underground rivers or springs (the water was always really clear and pure)... about slipping and falling into the water - expecting to feel frightened, but then being mildly surprised instead, when I ended up feeling a strong sense of anticipation and adventure. I never got any further than that, in the dream, and I haven't dreamed it in a long time. I kind of miss it.

Carry002

Postby Carry002 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:03 am UTC

i dream of being a Tourist,a paying Tourist.i was paid for traveling around the world.it is very gooood dream,but only a dream.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

Was at a hockey game(maybe Buffalo?). Was sitting in the stands on one side, and saw a great breakaway play, but time expired. Then I was over on the bench, and started talking with the refs. I asked if they were sending the replay to Toronto. Then I saw the replay on a tv screen in front of me, and it was clearly a goal. The ref said it was no goal, and I realized the replay I saw was from earlier in the period. Then I noticed an unlit white light on the wall above the bench. I figured that the coach would turn it on if he wanted to talk with the refs.

My family was traveling, and we stopped at a hotel or something across the street from the house where I grew up. Someone had painted the bottom half beige/tan, and the top half had become brick. Then I looked more, and was wondering about some windows. The south windows in my parents' bedroom had been replaced with large sideways sliding windows like in my old living room. Then I realized I could see those windows, because I was looking in from the east, and they had put in floor to ceiling windows on the east.

There was also something in here about the new owners wanting our dogs to be friends. They had a tiny dog, and we had a 100+ pound dog.

Then we were in the house, invited guests or something. I was in my sister's old room, and snuck into where the living room was. Didn't want to disturb the new owners. Instead, the lights were on, and the living room was kind of like a board game store. All these board games on the wall still unopened. The new owner was a nerd, and was excited to talk about a comic convention coming up. He was trying to get me to convince my dad to go either because he thought my dad would look cool dressed up like Morpheus, or because my dad knew Laurence Fishburne. (My dad looks nothinhg like LF).

Was at a speaking event, or my speaking class. (Have forgotten bits of this). Was going to speak on a topic, but didn't like it much. Weaseled my way out of speaking early so I could think about other topics. Came up with a good one, but it needed some work. Also, while sitting on a chair watching a speech, somehow a pile of salt got spilled between my legs.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

addams

Postby addams » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

All of that in one night?
Busy little brain.

Are you going into a period of change?
It seems when we are going into or coming out of Real Change, we dream.

Seeing rules and authority figures that don't figure.
Looking back at our old homes and knowing we don't belong there.
Facing professional challenges.

You got the Whole Meal Deal in one night.
What will you do for an encore?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:48 pm UTC

Nothing huge going on in my life right now. Work is a bit busy, but not majorly so. Finishing the class I dreamed about(or at least the weird dream analogue) is ending Thursday. Yeah, very active dreams, and lots going on.

I'll see what I dream tonight.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

Don't remember nearly so much this morning, or maybe just had disjointed dreams.

Was at a football game, talking to a cute woman. She was telling me to be careful. She was in charge of some of the sideline crew, and they'd run out onto the field hours before the game, and two people slipped on this big plastic runner that was along the sidelines.

Was watching and at the same time was in a spy/thriller movie. Was sitting on a couch in a garage watching tv, maybe football. Had a woman tied up on a chair because she was an enemy spy or something. We were talking, and at one point she got up and started walking around. Watching me thought 'hey, she untied herself, that's bad'. Acting me didn't care, and may have thought it was part of this master plan.

I was watching a football game on TV, and playing around on my laptop. For some reason I didn't want my girlfriend to se what I was doing. All I remember doing was trying to go to my college's website, and realizing that the .com address was a spammy redirect site, and that I should have used .org(except IRL it's .edu).

Lots of football involved in my dreams, but I didn't think about football at all last night before bed, and I'm not a huge fan or anything.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:38 pm UTC

That is so interesting to me.
Do you dream, nearly, every night?

Yes. Yes. I know.
We all do.

Do you remember it every night?
I have gone though periods of Dreaming.

I liked it.
It was, sort of, like getting a Two-for-One deal.

I could ponder my waking life.
Or; I could ponder my dream life.

Keep Dreaming.
Who knows? Something strangely interesting might happen.

Like the water Seven dreams.
Water is a Classic.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:44 pm UTC

I do dream quite a bit, but often forget them by the time I have gotten up for the day. Like last night, I got up to use the bathroom, and remembered parts of one of them, then went back to bed. Forgot all but a few snippets. Or I'll roll over and hit snooze, and in the 5 more minutes of sleep, forget everything I dreamed. It also seems to go in cycles. I'll have intense, memorable dreams a few days in a row, or a longer cycle of dreams that I may or may not recall.

I've also found I either have more dreams, or remember them more if I do not sleep well, especially due to alcohol. I'll toss and turn, and in the morning feel unrested, but have vivid dreams.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:43 pm UTC

On Sunday night I dreamt that I was at my desk working the next (Monday) morning, and that it was a really busy stressful day, and that my mom was calling me about some money I had sent her not arriving and she was starving and I was feeling like a terrible person, and resisting the temptation to punch myself (which I actually do sometimes when under terrible stress), and then in the dream it occurred to me that I had a hammer in my desk, and I should hit myself with that instead, and I pulled it out of the drawer, but another part of me knew that was a terrible idea and I was saying to myself "no, don't…".

Apparently I actually said that out loud, because my girlfriend heard me saying it and woke me to see if I was ok. She said a lot of really nice things to me and let me talk about my anxieties, and then we fell asleep again. And so far this week has actually been unusually good and easygoing.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:34 pm UTC

Don't remember much.

Was the coach for a Mighty Ducks like team. The backup goalie was this girl who was 18, but it was supposed to be a 17 and under team. I was trying to hide that fact, but think she got kicked off the team.

Also, for some reason we didn't practice for two weeks. We were staying someplace with lots of snow, and I was in a quonset hut style beige tent that was open to the outside snow, but it felt just like being inside a house. There was something about not practicing, and I was being lazy, but the players got motivated without me, then I went back and helped coach.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

I had a rather mundane dream turn into something fantastical.

For some reason I was in Kansas, on business somehow, never mind that I never had any kind of business of any sort in Kansas. For some reason Kansas was stuck in the 1970s; there were tons of these on the road everywhere.

I had to "rent a car" while I was there, which somehow involved turning in my car at the car-rental lot, and picking up a replacement car to drive around. I didn't see the point but OK that's the law in Kansas I guess.

However when I returned my rental car to pick up my own car, I saw a family getting out of MY car, as though they had just been driving it around; like the cars the lot rent out are actually the cars which have been turned in by its customers.

I was upset about this and got in an argument with the owners of the lot, who were very shady, angry people. They eventually trashed their own office in some kind of fit and stormed out onto the street like wild monkeys.

As I was stunned by this, a local customer walked up and consoled me with a bit of local racism, apparently: the lot owners were southern neanderthal tribe, who were well-known to be inferior to humans, and prone to fits of violence like this.

With that knowledge, I embarked on some kind of legal recourse to address my complaint with the lot owners, which involved working with a southern neanderthal tribe representative, who was much more composed and calm and wore a nice business suit, which made it stand out to me (as it hadn't with the lot owners) just how incredibly hairy he was. He was also significantly shorter than me. More like a Planet of the Apes "chimpanzee" than an actual neanderthal.

We ended up in some kind of bureaucratic building reminiscent of a DMV and also somehow a classroom. It still looked like the 1970s, but people were texting on their smart phones and there were flat panel monitors around, so it was weird.

While there, we encountered an older small-hairy-person-in-a-business-suit who it seems was northern neanderthal tribe, widely considered (by themselves and humans) the more civilized of the neanderthal tribes, and apparently extremely racist against the southern tribe. He started talking shit to my southern tribe rep, and a general argument broke out between them and a variety of other bystanders that was way over my head with local weirdness.

In the midst of that argument though, I noticed people throwing around historical references like since the Ring was lost in the river or since the War against the Dark Lord, and one of the bystanders who got drawn into the argument was a Dwarf who sided with the southern tribe about how racist humans and the races who suck up to humans were against all of the so-called "lesser races".

So TL;DR: I was on a business trip in Kansas where apparently it's still the 70s despite modern technology, and neanderthals and fantasy races coexist with humans in a world where, despite it being otherwise contemporary America, the backstory of Lord of the Rings is actual history within living memory akin to how WWII is to us.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:So TL;DR: I was on a business trip in Kansas where apparently it's still the 70s despite modern technology, and neanderthals and fantasy races coexist with humans in a world where, despite it being otherwise contemporary America, the backstory of Lord of the Rings is actual history within living memory akin to how WWII is to us.

i wish Kansas was like that. :')
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:46 pm UTC

I was playing Diablo III in my dream.

... and since I've never actually played it IRL, and know almost nothing about it, I was just making up what seemed like good classes, good skills, good level designs, etc. I kept dying around Level 10, because I didn't know how to use any of the skills. I mean, 'Create Time'? What sort of skill is that?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:13 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I mean, 'Create Time'? What sort of skill is that?

Adjusts your computer's clock back by one minute per cast. Creates (the illusion of) time.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

Deva wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I mean, 'Create Time'? What sort of skill is that?

Adjusts your computer's clock back by one minute per cast. Creates (the illusion of) time.

And yet, not helpful when bone demons ate my legs.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:58 am UTC

What a great dream, Pfhorrest.
Almost like Real Life, sometimes. (huh?)

All the fucking references I don't understand.
A fantasy history other people take seriously.
....Almost like Real Life.

Impressive advanced technology in the hands of unevolved idiots.
....Almost like Real Life.

Gee, Pfhorrest; If you say you were dreaming,
Then, you were dreaming. I'll take your word.

....Almost like Real Life. (huh?)
My Real Life has a surreal edge to it, sometimes.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:10 pm UTC

I was Dr. Watson, from the BBC's Sherlock. He had given me a set of numbers as a...game or something. I figured out it was latitude and longitude. Searched all over the area trying to find whatever it was. Finally realized it was underground, in this very deep mine(575 feet maybe?). So had to ride this rickety, small elevator down into it. Also, someone was with me - not sure who. I was pretty scared - the elevator was open sided, with small panels to keep you in, but they only came up to below my belt. It was maybe 3x4, and we had two people on it. So I held onto these metal pipes that formed the cage, and we rode it down, too quickly for my liking. Reached the bottom just fine. I asked someone why the pipes were cold, and he said because they were pumping water down them. I noticed water flowing across the floor of the dark cave. Started looking for where it went, and it was flowing in a calm sheet across the cave floor, then into the darkness. I was afraid to follow it, because I thought I'd fall off a cliff in the dark, even though there were cave workers around that could lead me. Started searching for the object that I was there to find. Sherlock was there, and we found a metal device the size of a shoe box. It was on a set of metal shelves, in a pile of junk. The shelves now make me think of shelves in Fallout 3

Was skydiving, but just about to land. It was a tandem jump, and my boss was the one with the chute. We landed, and the chute disappeared, and my boss was pretty much gone. The next people came in for a landing. The instructor was a woman, and and we talked about how the wind was weird, because we landed in a courtyard, only a few feet away from a low building.

Was looking at a map with cities, like Civ V. Was talking with my dad and sister, and we could only load some into a spaceship - had to leave one behind. So we looked and chose one. We then were moving things out of a house that was supposedly my grandparents'. I was digging around in a knee high cabinet, and found some Oreos. I offered them to my dad and sister, and they each took a white one with white icing. I was disappointed because those were the only ones of that type left. So instead I had a normal Oreo. Noticed on the bag an expiration date of 2012, but it still tasted good. Then was outside doing something. I looked over, and saw that the food cabinet had doors to be opened from the outside. I thought we needed to find a way to block the inside, so rodents wouldn't get into the food.

There was more about moving and moving the house or cities. Also something about spaceships.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:13 am UTC

At the last part of my dream, my advisor told me not to give up and to continue on with microbiology. I think this came about since I sometimes have doubts of getting into grad school.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:02 pm UTC

I was on a giant military ship, but it was more like a cruise ship, just with military stuff on it. And it was huge. There was a park in the middle of the main deck, with grass, trees, and a stream running through it.

We were in the stern area. At some point, I was groggy and out of it, then started getting things together. Somehow I started a conversation about this with my girlfriend, and she'd had the same experience. Somehow, our minds had been switchd - me in her body, and she in mine. I think I blamed my brother, but not sure. Was there with my brother and his wife, and we talked about pets, and how cute cats are and things like that. Then switched minds with someone again, I think my brother. I was digging through his coat pocket, and he had two sets of car keys in there, and I had mine in my jeans pocket. I was thinking I needed to hide them, because we might get caught, and I didn't want the military to know who we were(because the car keys would tell them which cars were ours). We were there to steal something or break in to something.

More jumbled things about a heist.

A group of guys, including me, had been captured. We were in this chain link fenced off area that was shady and rocky, and backed up against a massive wall. It was in a military base. One of the guys, maybe me, noticed they hadn't taken any of our gear. So I started cutting a hole in the chain link fence, and got about halfway done before any guards came. They didn't seem to care too much.

I was watching three women carry musical instrument cases into the back door of a building. They were also involved in the heist, and were glad they'd made it through security. Once in the building, they opened the cases and got out instruments. The one with the largest was talking about how glad she was she got through with a _____ sax. The case also had this long, straight metal rod.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:05 pm UTC

[Must have been Thursday night, might have missed an element].

...Trying to sleep... (this is a weird element. I'm sure I get this one early at night when I am trying to sleep, but this is in the morning at the end of a good night's sleep)
...looking for the bathroom...outside...undressed...realizing my apartment has a bathroom and go back to it...
...taking off a mask [never saw what it looked like on my face] seeing a sf-movie-issue "human mask for a robot to wear", looking at my face and seeing it is normal (plus some wear due to the mask).

When I woke up I realized the inception bit about sleeping was pretty weird. I then remembered the mask bit and assumed it had some pretty big meaning. Note that I'm far to old to be trying to conform to the "cool kids".

addams

Postby addams » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:39 pm UTC

I had a dream, too.
Highly unusual for me.

I was in a kitchen with a Gay Couple from some other culture.
They were concerned about some food that was unfamiliar to them.

I volenteered to taste it.
(of fucking course, I did. have you met me?)

I tasted it.
It was Fine!

I handed it back to them.
As I watched it went Bad.

It was sweet dijon mustard on thick brown bread.
As my companions looked at it, it formed Blue Flakes in the mustard.

One of them took it and threw it into the sink.
As the Blue Flakes formed, the taste in my mouth changed.

Yuck! It woke me up. Yuck!
I woke up in real life and threw up. Yuck!

What came first?
The idea to throw up, from The Dream?
Or; The bad taste that showed up in The Dream?

My guess it Reality showed up twisted and weird in The Dream.
jeeze. That was a vivid dream.

Yuck! I took a bite of Bad Mustard.
I don't deserve it.

I don't hang out in the Time Thread!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:07 pm UTC

A couple of nights ago, I had a dream that started out with me going to uni (note: in real life, I left uni over a year ago), and I was accompanied by May from Pokémon, who was apparently as old as me and had always walked to uni with me. Then, when I got to uni, I realised that May wasn't with me, and that made me realise that May was actually a fictional character - but, because I could clearly remember her coming to uni with me every day, I started to worry that I was going insane. It's one of the most disturbing sensations I've ever had in a dream.

Then, when I entered a classroom, the dream became more silly than scary - the students included a little girl and someone who works where I do in real life, and Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter showed up to ask me why I hadn't signed up for the Thursday lectures.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

ajh

Postby ajh » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:26 am UTC

I dreamt about a friend I used to meet and his brother. We were at a party or something and they behaved weirdly uncooperative: They intentionally step on my feet and disregard my glances, forcing me to explicitly ask for it. The other people were like this as well.
Cut to some sort of camp in the hills. Preparing for a military parade, only it's a bunch of small groups all wearing different uniforms. I don't want to take part in that, but the organiser stops me when I encounter them rehearsing. I say, 'You got really little time to convince me.' Which he somehow manages.
Interlude in a restaurant/bar, high and narrow tables combined with form-fitting, backlit booths. It's empty, I sneak around. The walls and floor are red, furniture and ceiling are off-white. A few spotlights.
Back to the camp. I begin to pick up on the strange politeness: Kindly asking is met with distance, a commanding voice results in two girls helping me dress for... the parade?

I forgot some of the context, but I don't think it would do much. :D

Samik

Postby Samik » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

I had a dream a few weeks back that did something very interesting and, to me, entertaining.

Describing the actual events of the dream would be hard - it was just of the many choppy, incoherent jumbles of short unconnected scenes that dreams sometimes are.

But this time my brain did something it has never done before. Rather than just sitting back and letting the randomness happen, it latched onto it and actually utilized it as a plot point, and the dream started to become a little more coherent around this new framework.

So the basic idea was this:

Aliens, or pan-dimensional beings, or something along those lines but not precisely specified, had invaded earth. But their strategy was not overwhelming force. They came with a small army and focused a lot of effort on infiltration and subterfuge. Their primary weapon was an abiliy to alter the timeline randomly, so that earth had a slightly different past, and current situations changed a little bit. They could not control the nature of the alteration, but they seemed immune to the effects, or at least to have more experience than us at operating effectively despite them. So, every time they found themselves in a bad spot, they would initiate a change, and the state of the earth would change a bit, and they'd try to keep going from there.

Again, they had no control over this, so they couldn't dilberately make alterations that benefitted them - they just kind of kept making changes to probe and test and try to create more ideal situations for themselves. But it's an inexact science, obviously, and nothing they did within the span of the dream was able to cause their final victory.

My role in the dream became to try to piece an effective resistance together despite the fact that the members of that resistance kept changing. Every time they altered the timeline, different parties fell into or out of positions of strength, ceased to exist for a while only to come back later after another alteration, etc. How do you fight a war when the nature and status of the war, and the involved parties, keep changing every few hours?

Every time a change was made, the first goal was to try to take stock of the new situation, and identify and get in touch with allies. Basically, the cast of characters, enemy and ally, was many times larger than existed at any given moment, and all of us were collectively working, in all of the realities, to try to keep pace with the enemy and learn how to function effectively under the circumstances.

There wasn't even really a "me" character. Just, every time reality changed, some parties would remain in existence, and others would cease or begin, and it seemed that anyone who persisted through the change retained some memory, and could bring the new arrivals up to speed (or fill them in on what they missed if they were present previsouly and had only ceased to exist for a while) so that, slowly but surely, a communal body of knowledge about the war and the enemy's strategies began to accumulate.

One strange thought was that you know that, if you win the war, the alterations will stop, and there's no guarantee you will exist in the final, decisive reality.

Man, it's really hard to describe. I'm not sure how well I've actually done. There are definitely some serious coherency problems with how the whole thing worked, but there's nothing I can do about that - just relaying the dream.

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:33 pm UTC

I had a dream that a dog-shaped alien got marooned on earth, and couldn't be picked up for 5 years, and he got to see a whole bunch of dogs gassed at an animal shelter, and how shitty earth was in general, and then got adopted by some stuffy champagne liberal professor type. Being treated like a pet was beneath his dignity, but for some reason he couldn't speak, so he developed stockholm syndrome and was brainwashed or whatever. He regains his speech somehow right before rescue arrives, and the professor is horrified, and the conversation is basically the dog saying he accepts his rightful place now and recognizes his master's generosity in light of how harsh the world is and how it wasn't necessary, while the now horrified professor tries to argue that he's an intelligent being from an advanced civilization and it's not healthy to feel this way. Then rescue arrives and they kill the professor, since they see him as the captor. Then the alien-dog goes completely insane and tears the throats out of the other alien-dogs who came to rescue him, and the dream ends with him saying, then screaming, in an increasingly unhinged and psychotic fashion, "I'm a good boy. I'm a good boy! I"M A GOOD BOY"

addams

Postby addams » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:20 am UTC

Well written.
Did you wake up ready to go along with the Dog?

"you are a good boy."
"get in the kennel, good boy."
'it's nice in the kennel, good boy."

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:58 pm UTC

I had a more mundane dream that I went to the store to buy beer, but I couldn't find one of the kinds of beer I wanted, so while I was looking I drank an entire 6 pack of a different kind of beer without pausing to realize how fast I was going through it, and got so drunk that I couldn't think or walk and was stumbling around the grocery store like an idiot.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:22 pm UTC

Lots of people in this thread seem to have dreams with amazingly consistent plot-lines and character development (hell, there's probably several good movies in this thread). I, on the other hand, not so much. In one recent dream I was riding very fast on a motorbike to escape a nuclear explosion which had just destroyed the city behind me (it was a slow-motion nuclear explosion), I reached a safe distance, parked up the bike, then climbed a cooling tower to get a view of how far the damage extended. Half way up I discovered a door in the side of the tower, went in and found myself in a fully functioning supermarket full of people. I then proceeded to do some grocery shopping, went out, climbed back down the cooling tower, got back on my bike and resumed my ride through the post-apocalyptic wasteland. I felt like some sort of highly domesticated action hero, the kind of guy for whom nothing would cause him to forget to pick up more milk.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:23 pm UTC

Dr34m(4+(h3r wrote:I had a more mundane dream that I went to the store to buy beer, but I couldn't find one of the kinds of beer I wanted, so while I was looking I drank an entire 6 pack of a different kind of beer without pausing to realize how fast I was going through it, and got so drunk that I couldn't think or walk and was stumbling around the grocery store like an idiot.

That's a good way to get Shot!
Don't do that.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:24 pm UTC

I had a dream about a post-cyberpunk future full of bizarre synthetic rituals and cultures, weird evolved and mutated forms of even the most basic and familiar human activities. There was a lonely little girl in a nightclub of sorts with her mom, and she asked her what people were like in the past. Her mom said they were all sad, angry, and stupid, because the world back then didn't have even the most basic technology or common sense. She said it was so bad that some people froze themselves in the hope they would be revived in the future, because the present was so terrible. The girl said that sounded awful and asked why they didn't revive any of them so they could be happy, and the mom said that they were barbarians who would probably go insane if they woke up to such a different world, and be dangerous.

So the girl herself went to the place where these people were kept, which was dilapidated and not very well monitored, and found a head at random, in a really old canister with markings not like the others which had stood out. She used the equipment on-site to revive the person, who sure enough did end up future shocked, unable to speak and too unsure of themselves to do anything on their own. So the girl walked this mute, panicked figure around the bizarre new world, and tried to give him a tour and a description of everything, and comfort him when he recoiled in horror from something unfamiliar and started shaking, which happened with relative frequency. She had tea parties with him, and dressed him up in the fanciest finery of the time, and tried to play the most basic games with him (but he couldn't make sense of the controls so mostly she would play for him). The mom found out about it and was upset, saying that everything she had warned about had come true. The girl complained and said that it wasn't true, that the man was happy, and pointed to him, where he now sat with a completely blank expression and unnatural stillness, The mom acquiesced, saying that it wouldn't be right to do anything now since it would be the same as killing him, and the girl was happy.

The label on the canister was Adolf Hitler.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:34 am UTC

It was a dream.
Don't worry, it can't be Hitler.

It can be Abby Normal.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Samik

Postby Samik » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:23 am UTC

Well, a few weeks back I had the most terrifying dream I can ever remember having. I've hesitated to write it down because I really doubt my ability to get it out clearly. No matter what, it's going to sound like I'm over-dramatizing it. I just don't think I have the vocabularly to express the feeling at the climax. But, several weeks haven't improved my handle on how to go about it, so I'll just go for it.

Spoilered for I don't even know what.
Spoiler:
The whole dream was maybe 20 seconds long, with no dialogue and no appearing characters but myself. A large amount of information was implied in a very short amount of time (first 10 seconds or so) through visuals and general impressions, with the climax occuring over the last ~10 seconds.

An artificial object was discovered in space - the first ever proof of something-out-there, so it's handled with utmost caution and security. I don't recall if it's maneuvered into orbit, or just studied in situ, but the dream definitely takes place in zero g.

It's a cylinder, metallic in external appearance, and ~50ft in diameter by a couple hundred in length. The material defied all attempts at sampling or scanning - no type of radar or scan known to us can penetrate at all. The ends are actually open, but with a series of walls with openings at alternating ends. So, there's nothing preventing you from strolling right in, but, after a few turns, all light, radio, anything at all will fail to penetrate/escape.

At first drones are sent in, tethered. They come to no apparent harm and can be retrieved via the tethers, but fail to function or detect anything at all about the inside of the object after turning a few corners.

That's the setup that occurs in the first few seconds.

The last few seconds involve me (I am somehow involved in the study of this object) going into the object in a space suit. I don't know if I've been cleared to do so, or am disobeying orders because I "have to know". I also don't remember if I was tethered.

There is a light on my helmet, but it fails to illuminate the inside surface of the object entirely. Well, that's an oversimplification. Light illuminates the outside of the object just fine, and also the inside as you first start to enter. But it rapidly loses its ability to do so the deeper you get. It's like the object itself is damping all EM somehow. So everything - radio, radar, light - fades at the same rate as you go farther in.

I look back as I pass around the second wall, and watch all light from outside quickly fade to nothing, as my radio, helmet lights and maneuvering jets also fail. Pretty much instantly after that...

This is the hard part to describe. In the span of maybe two seconds, everything fades. My body becomes... not paralyzed, but inaccessable, and my consciousness feels as if it's being forced under, into something far deeper than sleep. Rapidly, intensely. As if I'd overdosed by a factor of a thousand on some powerful sleeping pills. A heavy, smothering weight completely enveloping and annihilating me. It very, very clearly feels to be an intelligent entity that is doing this to me. I don't know how I know, but it's quite clear.

It's so abrupt and forceful that resistance doesn't even cross my mind as a reasonable option. No, it's not even that. More like I wouldn't even know how to resist. Like free-falling through open air and trying to find something to grab on to when there's nothing. I can't even conceive of how to fight it - there's nothing to grab hold of.

Just the same, at the last possible moment, right before fading out completely, I try just once with all my might to scream and trash. I'm not even sure it was a conscious decision - just more like an automatic death throe. The jolt of it wakes me up instantly.

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:54 pm UTC

Awwww, you were a Class D SCP personnel in a past life.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:10 pm UTC

To dream of falling is extremely common.
To thrash in fear is also extremely common.

TV Tropes are most powerful when they touch something we all have.
We all have Ears, Nose and the Enveloping Deep.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Samik

Postby Samik » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:42 pm UTC

Dr34m(4+(h3r wrote:Awwww, you were a Class D SCP personnel in a past life.

That got a laugh out of me. Definitely fits the bill. (Though I'm fairly positive I was going in voluntarily. Whether on orders or against them, I was willing. I don't remember any fear before **** started to go down. Just curiosity.)

addams wrote:To dream of falling is extremely common.
To thrash in fear is also extremely common.

TV Tropes are most powerful when they touch something we all have.
We all have Ears, Nose and the Enveloping Deep.

This definitely wasn't a "falling" or vertigo dream. I've had a good many of those. The sensation wasn't similar. I just meant to use the "falling through open space with nothing to grab on to" metaphor to try to describe how it felt impossile to gain any traction in resisting the strange force.

Another thought occurred to me. You know how sometimes, as you're drifting off to sleep, your body jolts you back awake for some reason? It was almost like sleeping-me was about to submerge into a second, deeper level of sleep (the Enveloping Deep?), and there was one huge jolt to bring me back up through both levels all at once.

I've never been anaesthetized. I wonder how it would compare.

photography08

Postby photography08 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:02 am UTC

Last night I saw that I was on a cruise with my boyfriend.

Return to “General”