Sleep-time holodeck experiences

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: What were your dreams last night?

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri May 02, 2014 3:28 pm UTC

I took a ride down the road in a cardboard box on wheels pulled by several horses and a dog.

Pingouin7

Postby Pingouin7 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:13 pm UTC

I dreamed I was making toast sandwiches.
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

Brace

Postby Brace » Thu May 08, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

cplns

Postby cplns » Fri May 09, 2014 10:58 am UTC

I dreamt I was talking to my best friend on the phone when there were two gunshots from her end. When I asked what was wrong, she told me that someone had broken into her house and shot her twice in the head but that she was fine. I hung up to call 911 and they kept telling me that "if she doesn't want us over there, we can't do anything for her. Call back when she says it's okay." So I kept trying to call her and convince her and eventually she stopped answering. When I called the police again to ask them to do a wellbeing check, I heard an announcement in the background that the person at her address was found dead at the scene. I spent the day crying and grieving, but other people didn't seem to understand, and people were just laughing. The next day a couple had moved into her house, and everyone acted like nothing had ever happened.

The worst part was that the dream was hyper-realistic, so when I woke up crying it took a while to realize that it didn't actually happen.

addams

Postby addams » Fri May 09, 2014 1:26 pm UTC

cplns wrote:I dreamt I was talking to my best friend on the phone when there were two gunshots from her end. When I asked what was wrong, she told me that someone had broken into her house and shot her twice in the head but that she was fine. I hung up to call 911 and they kept telling me that "if she doesn't want us over there, we can't do anything for her. Call back when she says it's okay." So I kept trying to call her and convince her and eventually she stopped answering. When I called the police again to ask them to do a wellbeing check, I heard an announcement in the background that the person at her address was found dead at the scene. I spent the day crying and grieving, but other people didn't seem to understand, and people were just laughing. The next day a couple had moved into her house, and everyone acted like nothing had ever happened.

The worst part was that the dream was hyper-realistic, so when I woke up crying it took a while to realize that it didn't actually happen.

I'm sorry cplns.
That sounds like a horrible dream.

I had a dream a few nights ago that I thought was real.
It was a nightmare, too.

I thought it was real for an hour or so after waking.
It was so nice to find out it was not real.

Did you contact you friend?
I think talking to your friend is a good idea.

People love to hear about themselves.
Talking about nightmares helps.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

cplns

Postby cplns » Fri May 09, 2014 4:42 pm UTC

It was pretty horrible. It's affected my mood all day. I didn't tell her about it because I know the look she would give me - she puts no stock in weird dreams. But I did talk about it with my sister, who's had similar dreams.

addams

Postby addams » Fri May 09, 2014 4:47 pm UTC

cplns wrote:It was pretty horrible. It's affected my mood all day. I didn't tell her about it because I know the look she would give me - she puts no stock in weird dreams. But I did talk about it with my sister, who's had similar dreams.

What kind of Movies have you people been watching? (jeeze)
I don't put any 'stock' in dreams, either.

Our waking life is our primary concern.
When our dreams over lap with our waking life, it can get scary.

I am so glad you have a Sister that understands.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

cplns

Postby cplns » Fri May 09, 2014 8:14 pm UTC

No movies (I'm not a movie person, really), and nothing different than I usually watch - I've been marathoning sitcoms. I don't think dreams can, like, predict the future or anything (thank goodness) but I believe more of our waking life is in our dreams than we think.

Samik

Postby Samik » Mon May 12, 2014 10:43 pm UTC

Spoilered for long.

Spoiler:
In the middle of the night, myself and two others had set up a moderately large telescope in an open paved space on the edge of a town. Although we were still basically right near town, it was a very small town, and seemed to be far away from any major population centers or light sources, up in the mountains, so star visibility was very good.

My eyes and brain were apparently cyberized to an extent - I had several libraries installed that allowed me to overlay information about star-gazing directly onto my vision. I.E. I could highlight and slightly magnify areas of interest and see brief readouts on the highlighted astronomical features. The zoom level wasn't high - this functionality really just served to highlight those areas of interest that we could then focus the much more powerful telescope on, and go on to observe the old-fashioned way.

Neither of the other two people present had these same modifications, and I kept forgetting that they couldn't see the things that I see (in fact, I kept forgetting that the things I was seeing were not part of my normal vision - I was so used to using the enhanced features that it had become second nature, and I didn't differentiate much between what my 'natural' eyes/brain could do and what the modifications allowed me to do. So I had to keep reminding myself not to ask them to look at things they couldn't see.) At least one of the two people did have some brain cyberization, because we were able to, at one point, 'sync' together, so that I could pipe what I was seeing to her eyes (we had to nearly hold our heads temple to temple to accomplish this, so it seemed to be a very short range link).

This part of the dream wasn't very long - maybe five minutes - and nothing much really happened, in the way of plot. But it was striking to me for two reasons:

1.) The visuals. The zoomed / digitally enhanced astronomical features were very colorful and crisp and clear and striking. Even now, several hours later wide awake, I can picture these large rendered colorful galaxies and nebulae, and highlighted constellations, etc. overlayed on top of a dense, natural looking starfield. Both the detail with which the night sky and the digital overlays, as well as the views through the telescope, were rendered were beyond what I would have traditionally thought my dreams were capable.

To use the enhanced features of my eyes/brain, I would look up at an area in the sky, and key into a certain library, and dozens of discrete little markers would appear up among the stars. If I looked right at one to select it, it would expand into a moderately zoomed version of the point of interest (a galaxy, for example), then shift to the side a little, and a brief readout of interesting data on the galaxy would spool out next to it. I could scroll through this readout just by looking at the top or bottom of it, and also select the notations in the text (again, by focusing on them) to move on to different pages.

It was implied that I was subscribed to many different 'libraries' that would allow me to call up data or functionalities for different contexts, but nothing else was used in this dream aside from the stargazing libraries. I chose which ones to initialize simply by thinking to do so, and would often cycle through different ones to see how their features compared (some were heavier on data, some on visuals, and they didn't have all of the same entries). I could initialize several libraries at once, and the night sky would fill up with markers, and then once I selected something to look at more closely, I could tell the rest to go quiet, leaving just that one highlighted feature against an unmodified night sky.

I also had the ability to search for a single entry directly, without taking the step of activating an entire library's worth of sky markers. There was a cool little connection to my real waking life: I'm always frustrated at how difficult it is to see all seven stars in the Pleiades, so I did a search, the Pleiades lit up in the sky, then I zoomed on in and got a good look (though was actually able to see the 13 highest magnitude stars).

2.) The really cool and practical integration of the cyber capabilities of my brain/eyes. It wasn't clunky or cumbersome at all. It was executed exactly how you'd hope these sorts of future modifications would be. I had the ability to sift through different libraries and functionalities, and call them up to show me what I wanted to see, in real time, without any effort other than thinking it. Same thing for the 'sync' with the other character - it was very smooth and took a fraction of a second to initialize, we looked around, and then ended it. There was no lag or latency, and I was hardly conscious of the fact that these weren't actions that were perfectly natural for human eyes/brains.

It was actually very intriguing to me how easily my real-life brain (in sleep-mode, no less) was able to imagine these sorts of capabilities, and seamlessly fold them into my existing senses. There was great utility here - additional capabilities threaded in, without any noticeable downsides/trade-offs/complications/seams. Basically, my brain seemed to have no problem with the idea of 'foreign' input - it took the new senses/abilities and ran with them, without a hitch.

I can't say this for sure, but it seems to me that the fact that my brain was apparently able to do (or at least simulate) this without difficulty might imply that the brain IS able to do this without difficulty, in general. That may be too aggressive of an extrapolation, but I'm not so sure...
Last edited by Samik on Thu May 15, 2014 5:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Samik

Postby Samik » Thu May 15, 2014 5:10 am UTC

Spoiler:
I was in a friend's room. It was long overdue for a spring cleaning, and he had told me that I was welcome to any of the hundreds of books that were scattered across the floor, or in piles on desks and dressers, in boxes in the closet, etc.

I began collecting them all into one area, and beginning to sort them into piles of 'no interest', 'maybe', and 'definitely'. There were a few mangas, a couple of which I opened and began to flip through. I've never read a manga in real life - I think I know the text/panels go right to left, but my dream brain decided that the books also open on the left? The text was apparently in Japanese, which my brain didn't even bother trying to render (I just understood that this was the case, and bothered with it no further).

The first book I flipped through didn't catch my eye, but the second one had artwork that really impressed me. There were landscape scenes from the perspective of someone looking out of the open side doors of a helicopter. The art was strange: very high realism, but kind of grainy, with very muted colors. (I've been poking around unsuccessfully trying to find a picture that looks similar to link here for reference. If I do, I'll add it in.)

The last page I looked at before things started to change was a panel of a large complex of concrete and steel buildings perched atop a massive rock fin (like this picture, only several times wider, to better support the complex, and in more of a jungle environment). Antennas and huge open bays and more places for snipers than could possibly be watched against... The perspective for this shot was from someone sitting inside the helicopter, looking out the open door, past a female soldier silhouetted in the door blocking part of the view.

At this point, the scene began animating. From here on out, the dream consists of a mix of real-time animation, and still frames. The animation is photo-realistic, though the frames maintain that grainy/washed-out quality. It is also the case that I am no longer in my friend's room seeing this all in a book - the 'real-life' setting fades out of my awareness, and I'm seeing the action directly ('full-screen', so to speak).

The helicopter (really, it could be some sort of modern VTOL craft, or something futuristic like an ornithopter or hovercraft or many other things - can't really tell from inside, and I don't specifically remember if there were any giveaway flight noises) flew parallel to the rock fin, panning past parts of the complex.

The scene changes to the inside of a gargantuan hangar. Way larger than would be needed for any functionality I can imagine. These are still frames again - a small explosion appears next to the towering hangar doors, and a unit of soldiers (100-200ish?) flood in through the breach. Weapons at the ready, female commander (same one from the helicopter) shouting orders, obviously expecting resistance, but none appears. The unit splits into smaller squads which begin to spread out into the complex. Real-time animation resumes through this process. Many shorts scenes of soldiers running down hallways, and blasting through heavy doors, snippets of radio communications - "All clear", "Level yada yada secured".

Time passes, and it really seems to be the case that the complex is abandoned. The unit has explored/secured large areas of the complex without encountering any resistance, or even any signs of occupation.

These soldiers are very disciplined, however, and do not begin to let their guards down. Every new room or area gets the same thorough shakedown, crisp maneuvers, covering each others movements, radioing back reports, and so on. So, when resistance is finally encountered, they are ready.

It comes in the form of a creature. Humanoid...ish. Enormous, must be 12-15 feet tall and several thousand pounds. It would be bipedal, except that two of its legs and one of its arms are completely missing. The two legs have clearly been severed/blasted off at about mid-thigh, and the left arm has been detached at the shoulder. All three missing limbs end in fleshly scarred nastiness. The right arm is fully intact. It runs in a manner similar to a gorilla, on the stumps of its legs and its one good arm. Despite this severe damage, and its massive size, it moves FAST.

The face is just human-looking enough to make one queasy, and, in general, it is both enormously well muscled, and very fat. Basically along the lines of the cave trolls from the LoTR movies - just a hugely fat, muscular, leathery, disgusting creature, charging faster than should be possible, on the ruined stumps of its limbs, straight towards the squad.

They open fire, of course, but might as well not have - it seems to shrug everything off, and tears through the squad in seconds. The fight is very anticlimactic; barely a fight, it's over so quickly that the squad barely manages to get off a "we're under attack!" over the radio. The viewer (myself?) wonders what this thing could do when it had all of its limbs (and how it ever managed to lose them).

The scene changes, back to the hangar where the troops first entered the complex. Two soldiers are sitting around a table playing cards, or something comparably inane. They heard the radio burts of warning, and the unit commander moments later sends out general orders to stay on high alert, and report anything.

They hear a noise, and the creature is there across the hangar, walking/shambling towards them. The two soldiers are not bothered about this in the slightest - there is an implication that these are not your basic grunts, or maybe not even your basic human. Be it genetic engineering, or cyborg parts, or whatever, they are clearly very confident in their ability to handle this monstrosity. They don't even pick up their guns. One remains seated, while the other gets out a foot long blade, and begins walking forward to met the creature.

The creature stops basically face to face with the soldier, who takes his blade and drives it up into the creature's throat, all the way to the hilt. He pulls it out, and, faster than the eye can follow, plunges it back in again, over and over. After about ten of these, the monster says something to him (in English, I think, though I don't remember what), smiles broadly, and bites down on the top half of the soldier's body. Then commences chewing him and pulling him further in.

The other soldier doesn't seem particularly worried about his comrade. He gets up, draws a blade of his own, shakes his head bemusedly at his buddy's predicament, and strolls around to the creature's side. He takes his blade and guts the thing in a long straight line from groin to bottom of the rib cage (or, at least, where these would be on a human). A mass of intensineish goop and ichor etc., larger than a human, spills onto the floor. The soldier continues fishing around with his blade inside the creature, attempting to drive it further up towards where the heart on a human would be.

The monster turns its head to look at him, and, mumbling around the mangled body between its teeth, pokes fun at the soldier's efforts to harm it.

I'm not sure if I woke up at this point, or moved on to another dream, or just faded out of dreaming.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu May 15, 2014 7:25 pm UTC

A couple nights ago I dreamt that I. M. Pei directed and produced a movie about Ruby Ridge, and I was watching it in the theatre. I think I left before waking up. It reminded me of Downfall, with that guy as a sort of tragic villain (what would you call it? Certainly not an antihero, as they were completely not heros), as Hitler was in Downfall. Anyways, he considered the movie his masterpiece.

When I woke up, I was like, wait, isn't he an architect?

Brace wrote:I dreamed that lucid dreaming was a method of parallel dimension travel, so I traveled into a dream I remembered that was full of magical creatures and found one that granted wishes and wished to be normal. It felt like it worked and I was really happy but then I woke up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0BOK0EDFE

Samik

Postby Samik » Fri May 16, 2014 8:51 pm UTC

Spoiler:
In real life, one of my roommates has recently been the cause of some trouble. He's doing more drugs than usual, and being louder and a little more troublesome than usual. Nothing too terrible yet, but, the dream starts with me coming home late from work (I work evenings, so around midnight), and the worst case scenario coming true: him being coked out or something and being screaming and belligerent with another roommate when I walk in the door.

I try to get involved and calm the situation down, but he just shifts to me as the main focus of his verbal abuse and threatening actions. As long as he's just being verbally aggressive, I try to talk him down, but once he starts getting physical, I start getting physical back. I'm pissed, but also hoping if I demonstrate early that a physical altercation would end badly for him (it would) he might back off of it. It works, and he leaves the house, out into the front street. Unfortunately, instead of locking him out and calling the cops, I follow him out into the street, still hoping to wind him down and resolve this before it passes the point of no return.

Well, he keeps screaming at me, and really starts flipping out and throwing rocks and becoming completely incoherent. A police cruiser pulls up, and at this point I'm perfectly happy for him to get taken away, so I start to walk over to it with my hands up ready to explain the situation. Well, he sees it, and runs towards it first, pointing back at me and saying I was attacking him and he needed help. I start shouting my side of the story to be heard over him, and, predictibly, the officer gets out of the car, draws his weapon (though keeping it pointed at the ground), and tells us both to shut the hell up for a second and get on the ground.

I do, and so does my roommate. The officer comes to frisk me first, and quickly becomes satisfied that I am not concealing anything, and also am not inebriated in any way, and am generally cooperative. My roommate, on the other hand, has gotten back up from the ground while I'm being frisked, and is dancing around pointing fingers and telling me I'm fucked and getting arrested. The cop is more or less figuring out, at this point, who's probably the problem child, and tells me he can see what's going on. My roommate clumsily pulls a small package of pills out of his pocket, and goes and puts it in my backpack (I had a backpack all of the sudden apparently?) which was lying on the ground a few feet away. I point his actions out to the cop, who assures me he saw.

Anyway, the cop lets me up, goes and frisks my roommate, doesn't find anything, and things begin to calm down a bit. He looks in my backpack, finds the pills, and identifies them as Codeine. Shortly after, he ultimately decides that he's not going to arrest my roommate, stating that nobody was hurt, the altercation seemed very brief and not worthy of arrests, and he really just didn't give a shit about the tiny quantity of Codeine (don't even really know the legal status - that's just the name of a drug my sleep brain picked out of thin air). I'm kind of pissed - after all of the arguing, I was basically just kind of hoping my roommate would be taken away so I could get a damned good night's sleep. But, I'm not really sure what I can do about it.

The officer takes our persoanl info, and tells me that he'll write up a brief report about my roommate causing a minor disturbance, so that if it happens again, the responding officers will be less lenient. I ask if there's any way I can get a hold of a copy of that report, and he says that he can give me a ride down to the station (2 minutes down the road), and I can hang tight for ten minutes while he writes it up. It's late and I'm tired, but I'm nervous about what it might say about me in the report, and decide to go with him. I get my backpack, and get in the cruiser.

We get to the station quickly. I get out of the car, but leave my backpack, thinking the officer is going to give me a ride back home when this is done. After both doors are shut and locked, he tells me he's got a ton to do and I should just go to the front desk and they'll take care of me there, and boom, he's gone before I can even say 'wait a sec...'

Well, my backpack's locked in the car, so I do the only thing I can do, and head towards the front desk, thinking I'll at least have them page him or something. When I arrive at the front desk area, it's actually more like a high security bank teller arrangement - a bunch of openings behind bars and butlet proof glass. But there's no-one around. At the far right of the arrangement there is a phone you can pick up to buzz to have someone come up to the front. I do this, and sit there on the line for a minute while no one shows up. I finally notice from this vantage point that there is one lady manning a station of the very far other side of the room. I wave to her and make as if to head over to her terminal, but she stops me and tells me to stay put for a sec. I wait, and she makes no effort to help me or find anyone else, so I start sort of yelling over to her, trying to explain the situation. She listens, and tells me that there's no way she can get into the car, she can only page the officer, and I'd be best off just trying to find him myself (???). She tells me my best bet is the off duty area downstairs - if he's not there himself, some of his buddies will probably be able to tell me where he is.

I feel that it is kind of ridiculous that the solution here is for me to wander around a police station on my own, but... whatever. I head down the stairwell she pointed to, and find a bar/club area downstairs with about 30 people in it. Not really much booze, but loud music, pool tables, mixed gender, dancing, really not something I expected to see in a police station.

I ask around, and while nobody directly tells me to get out or asks me what I'm doing there, the attitude towards me is quite standoffish.

And then, somebody dies.

There is a scream, and everyone backs away from a freshly eviscerated body. A few people glance my way, as I'm the stranger, but I'm obviously too far from where it happened, and, anyway, another person dies. And the person who did it, goes after a third, and the room descends in to shoving screaming chaos instantly. I turn around and bolt back up ther stairs I just came down, back into the main entrance corridor and come face to face with... zombies. Three of them. Yes, this dream has apparently wandered into the sci-fi/horror/survival genre.

They are blocking the exit to the station, and the screaming and panic from below intensifies, and gunshots are heard, and officers come running up the stairs towards me, with more zombies hot on their heels.

The dream jumps around a bit here, but zombies turn out to be just he beginning. Next to appear are something like those huge hornet nasties from Jumanji. Then tiny wheeled robots with buzzsaws at ankle/knee height, and on and on it goes. The police station descends into a battlezone with the officers present going against hordes and hordes of incoherently assorted enemies... all sorts of things from all sorts of sci-fi/horror conventions.

There is one awesome scene where there are two officers in a room with row upon row of computers, trying to deactivate the station's self-destruct sequence (?!?!). One of them gives me their gun, and I have to protect them from the reanimating corpses of their fellow officers.

The format of this encounter is an awful lot like that old Terminator arcade game - I am covering behind the last row of computer terminals, and the zombies pop up in rows further across the room, and I have to strafe back and forth and take them out before they get to us.. And every time I take one down, it's only down for a few seconds, before it reanimates once again. I score quite a few headshots, but as more and more zombies appear and the pace picks up, and they get closer and closer and I start to run out of ammo.... In the end, the officers deactivate the auto destruct, but only exaclty as the zombies overwhelm our position. I escape, just as the two officers are devored and converted.

Things are trending pretty badly at this point. There don't seem to be many live officers left on my side, and ever more monsters. I'm running down a corrider, firing near the last of my bullets at the mob chasing behind me, and there are two other offices running towards me, similarly shooting behind them. They gesture at me to follow them down a side corrider (didn't have much choice), and start explaining to me that we need to make it to the auditorium. It is the actual bomb shelter, and the designated muster point in case of catastrophe. Fortunately, we are running right towards it.

As we approach, there are a few other officers ducking behind the heavy metal doors, shooting past us at the mob chasing us. We dive into the doors, as the other officers slam them behind us, right as the wave of zombies and killbots and wasps and vampires and eldritch abominations etc., crash into it.

In the auditorium there are a good number of other officers already assembled and catching their breath and reloading and tending to the wounded. A few others are still streaming in through side doors. Once people stop arriving and all doors are barred, we all take seats, and the police chief strolls out onto the stage to brief us.

He looks directly at me, and begins to explain that this has all been an elaborate simulation, for my benefit. Someone paid for this whole thing to be set up (yes, pretty much exactly like in the movie The Game). I am incredulous. I yell that I've shot people in the head, I've seen others torn apart right in front of my eyes, there are ROBOTS and GIANT MAN-EATING WASPS and how could they possibly have simulated all of this.

He tells me to calm down, and asks me to think it through: is it any more likely that I was able to instantly transform into some kind of action hero, scoring headshots left and right and surviving without a scratch on me when dozens of highly trained officers were getting cut down left and right all around me?

Me: Boggled. Speechless.

At this moment, the officer from the very beginning walks up next to me, drops my backpack in the seat next to me, says sorry buddy, you've got to deal with it, and drops a 40 or so page report in my lap, telling me that this is the original incident report, as well as all the documentation and legal mumbo jumbo of the entire scenario. The officers all begin to get up and stream out of the auditorium.

I stumbled out of the police station in a daze. It's daylight now, and there's not a zombie or killbot to be seen. I start showly shambling home, mind still blown.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 19, 2014 10:32 pm UTC

spolier for very graphic, blood.
Spoiler:
I was inexplicably trying to perform surgery on my own bullet wounds. no matter how much i tried, i couldn't get the bullet to move in a cohesive direction, and it kept bleeding, and it hurt. alot. finally i got the unexplinable idea that cutting into it more would solve the problem, and so began slicing bits of skin, muscle, and accidentally ripping other blood vessels. finally got the bullet to come out, but couldn't stop the bleeding. died in the alley where i was performing this. woke up and stared at the wall in my room for awhile, trying to convince myself it wasn't real.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon May 19, 2014 10:45 pm UTC

I dreamt that I was scheduled to be the first man on Mars, on what could possibly be a one-way trip, but that I had signed up for the launch before I met my current girlfriend, and when the time for the launch came I was really heartbroken to have to leave her behind and quite possibly never see her again, but I put the good of humanity first and was going to go through with the Mars mission. But I was running late for the launch, and somehow got stuck on foot on the other side of a harbor/marina from the launch facility, and running around the harbor with all of its confusing ins and outs along its shore was taking way too long, so eventually I just swam through freezing cold oily water to get across it. Then I was soaking wet and filthy and cold and trying to get into the launch facility while running late and somehow nobody working there recognized me and I had to find some way to sneak in to it without getting shot for my efforts. In the end I missed the launch (no idea why they sent an empty rocket to Mars), and felt a weird mix of guilty for letting down humanity, relieved that I got to stay behind with my girl, and guilty again for being relieved as though that indicated that all of the hardships that made me miss the launch must have really been intentional on my part. Then IRL my girl woke me up and I was really happy to see her.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue May 20, 2014 12:15 pm UTC

I was watching Don Jon, so this started out making sense.

Don Jon was going for a jog. He used that as an excuse to get away from his girlfriend because she didn't want him watching porn. So he was running, and was going behind an area so he couldn't be seen, and went tp pull something out of his shorts. I figured he was buying drugs. His girlfriend had followed him because she was suspicious. She came around the corner, and he was getting a blowjob from a half human, half cazadore(giant fly from Fallout:New Vegas. She flipped out at him, he tried to apologize or make excuses, then she ran off. Except now she was covered in camera equipment strapped all over.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed May 21, 2014 5:23 pm UTC

Was in a porno, but like a cheap Russian one. At one point the one male actor got very..excited, and this caused mini-zits on his bits to essentially burst, then he wiped them off.

I was a king or something, possibly of England. There was a castle or palace or something, in the middle of a lake or ocean. I had to captain another ship/building to dock inside it, and become part of the palace. Then we were worried about boarders.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed May 21, 2014 8:53 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Spoiler:
Was in a porno, but like a cheap Russian one. At one point the one male actor got very..excited, and this caused mini-zits on his bits to essentially burst, then he wiped them off.

TMI/SPOILER/EEEEWWW.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri May 23, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

Scientists had discovered a way to fold aluminum foil through the fourth spatial dimension, proving that such a dimension existed. The method was so simple that I could do it myself by hand--just fold a corner of the foil over in the third dimension, but fold it just right so it then folds itself through the fourth dimension. Although it was hard to get it exactly right.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun May 25, 2014 5:29 am UTC

It has to do with the web serial Pact. If you haven't been reading it, you should. It will make you a better person.

Kinda spoilers, so it's under spoiler tags.

Spoiler:
Blake beat Conquest. One of the Blakeguard, I think Tiff, stepped onto Conquest's throne, and was fully possessed by a different spirit, losing all individuality and becoming the Lord of Toronto. Then Conquest reappeared, claiming to no longer be bound to...something, free to kill Blake.

That was a couple nights ago, so details have been lost, but it was an interesting dream nonetheless.

cplns

Postby cplns » Sun May 25, 2014 9:29 am UTC

Dreamt I went on Jeopardy, won $88,000 in one day and changed my family's lives.

Brace

Postby Brace » Sun May 25, 2014 11:40 am UTC

Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Brace

Postby Brace » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:42 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:01 pm UTC

There was a prison or dungeon or something underground. I was sneaking in and sneaking back out, over and over again, for some reason. I guess there were things inside that I had to get. I got caught a few times, but apparently always escaped again. At one spot there was a small, high window that I had to crawl through. I think it was the only way in or out of that part of the prison. There was a guard right below that window on the inside, so every time I climbed in I had to kill the guard to get by. And for some reason they didn't take away the corpses of the guards I killed, just sent a new guard and left the corpses laying under the window. So on my way out I climbed on the corpses to boost myself up to the window. Then one time they finally did clear the corpses out, so it was harder to get up to the window. They still left a bunch of liquids that I had spilled on the floor on previous visits, though. (I don't know what these liquids were, and I don't think I want to know.) In the innermost part of the prison, there was a spot where I had to carefully take a chair from right behind a guard without making a noise. That was the place I got caught most often.

onoresrts63

Postby onoresrts63 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:18 am UTC

Can't remember. I started not to remember my dreams for a couple of weeks now. It's kinda good actually 'cause 90% of the time, I dream of myself dying :shock: for real, like I'm in a kidnapping situation (I'm the hostage) or I'm a criminal or there was a robbery, all the shit you see from action movies :?

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:34 pm UTC

One part:

I had a walkie talkie that could send me into the past 30 minutes. I was using it because swarms of bees were attacking people, even getting inside their suits that were designed to be safe.

I was shopping at a thrift store or sale or something with my girlfriend. I asked her if I should buy a couch. It was huge, at least 12 feet long, blue, and shaped like a dragon.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:37 pm UTC

I had a pretty long and crazy dream last night, and a large portion of it was my 'caught in a rut and can't quite seem to go forwards or backwards and just stuck in the same loop' style, which is annoying. Before that it was a pretty fun bit about relocating my entire family to the old mall where I used to live (escaping areas and moving into malls feature heavily in my dreams), and the bit after it involved a, ah, porn star that I might have a slight thing for, but it was nothing particularly salacious or even naughty. She was just one of the people that we were trying to protect from zombies, and she was hitting on everyone else because I was married. Because that's how my dreams go, apparently.

But the bit at the end was wierd, even for me. It was a full-length theatrical trailer for a movie called 'Heaven'. It was clearly filmed bleach bypass, heavy use of shading, possibly camerawork by Steven Soderbergh. It was very atmospheric. There were several long panning shots through an 18th century-style village, on the prairies somewhere. Kids and adults were harvesting wheat and grains, picking apples and strawberries, and having a good time. There were barn dances at night, but always an eerie, windy silence in the background of each shot. Towards the end, the camera would focus on certain individuals, with a brief gothic copperplate font showing their names: one of the hardworking thirteen-year-old boys was a young Adolf Hitler, some of the villaige medics were the Manson family, the quartermasters were Chairman Mao and AP Kehoe... there were mass-murderers, psychopaths, dictators, warlords. Everyone in this entire town was cloned from the genetic material of the world's greatest monsters, and they were all raised at various ages in an idyllic setting, a town named Heaven, free from want and desire, to see what would happen, if truly there was nothing special about their genes. The very end of the 'Heaven' trailer, as a backing sky shot of the village slowly faded to black, the word 'Heaven' in gold started to tarnish and blacken around the edges, a heartbeat could be heard in the background, rapid terrified breathing could just be made out, and then the whole trailer went black with a ringing, metallic sound.

Then it was a dream about fishing.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:33 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:But the bit at the end was wierd, even for me. It was a full-length theatrical trailer for a movie called 'Heaven'. It was clearly filmed bleach bypass, heavy use of shading, possibly camerawork by Steven Soderbergh. It was very atmospheric. There were several long panning shots through an 18th century-style village, on the prairies somewhere. Kids and adults were harvesting wheat and grains, picking apples and strawberries, and having a good time. There were barn dances at night, but always an eerie, windy silence in the background of each shot. Towards the end, the camera would focus on certain individuals, with a brief gothic copperplate font showing their names: one of the hardworking thirteen-year-old boys was a young Adolf Hitler, some of the villaige medics were the Manson family, the quartermasters were Chairman Mao and AP Kehoe... there were mass-murderers, psychopaths, dictators, warlords. Everyone in this entire town was cloned from the genetic material of the world's greatest monsters, and they were all raised at various ages in an idyllic setting, a town named Heaven, free from want and desire, to see what would happen, if truly there was nothing special about their genes. The very end of the 'Heaven' trailer, as a backing sky shot of the village slowly faded to black, the word 'Heaven' in gold started to tarnish and blacken around the edges, a heartbeat could be heard in the background, rapid terrified breathing could just be made out, and then the whole trailer went black with a ringing, metallic sound.

I would watch the heck out that movie, it sounds amazing.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Brace

Postby Brace » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:43 pm UTC

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:33 pm UTC

Something about my mother wanting a beer, and me giving her a Michelob Golden Light, and also there were a bunch of cats, and we were in a strange house.

Oh, and previous evenings - dreamed I had been fired, with no explanation. Was packing up my stuff at work, and worried about paying bills. Was glad I hadn't purchased the laptop I considered, since I'd need the money. Also, was packing up a bunch of hangers that were at the office for some reason. Was trying to figure out which were mine, and which were from the office. Then decided I needed to go talk to my boss to figure out why I had been fired.
Last edited by emceng on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:42 pm UTC

I don't get nightmares often. I tend to turn any scary stuff into just bizarre stuff pretty easily. Also, I don't normally scare easily. I tend to laugh at horror films.

Anyway, the only time I ever wake up in fear and can't get to sleep is when an intruder (in dream) comes into my home and starts killing my kids and/or wife. I snap awake so fast it hurts. I can't get to sleep after either, at least not for a while1. Sometimes I have to get up and patrol2 the house once just to put my mind at ease/shake off the dream. Gah. I had to wake up early this morning for a meeting too.

1 - I am an easy sleeper. Not being to get back to sleep after 20 minutes is a long time for me
2 - I am not the type to do this. I don't own a gun or have paranoid fantasies about defending my home. We live in an area where locking your doors at night is kind of odd. I haven't locked our doors, even when we leave the house, since I moved in 10 years ago.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:I would watch the heck out that movie, it sounds amazing.

Indeed. It's actually an interesting if implausible premise with a hook. You might have trouble pitching the script to most major Hollywood studios, but I'll bet several indie film makers would love to get a shot at it.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:06 am UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zba_Kk31whs
A light hearted moment with Dreams.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:25 am UTC

It involved Patricia Arquette being abducted after witnessing her neighbor being kidnapped, after which Christian Slater rescued her and her neighbor. I don't remember the details of the rescue, just that by the time the finished about 70% of bodies were covered in blood.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

Experienced an outbreak of Driver Apathy Syndrome. (Affected cyclists as well.) Triggers while driving. Enters a trance. Drives aimlessly. Causes some to purposely veer off-road. Killed multiple people.

Witnessed it twice with a parent. Bailed at the safest point. Lasted six hours the second time. Described it like a stroke. Felt wonderful after it ended.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

cplns

Postby cplns » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:53 pm UTC

Dreamt my mom bought an alligator and a pig (because "I really want some bacon"). I kept telling her the alligators would eat our cats, and when it finally did eat one, my mom just shrugged and went "Welp, we have too many cats anyway."

Then I was trapped in an apartment building with stairs that were too narrow and didn't reach my apartment. Everything was very colorful.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:06 am UTC

Vague, abstract terror. Don't remember any specifics.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:58 pm UTC

Dreamed I was playing a giant board game. At least 20 people, probably 30-40. It would reconvene once a week in some building that I had trouble getting to, on the second floor. I was going ot duck out early, right after my turn. I was cheating, or maybe just took my turn out of order.

Later, I was thinking about my class schedule, and couldn't remember when I'd last gone to one class(business I think). I then remembered it was only about the second week of class, so I probably didn't miss much - but I really, really needed to stop skipping class.

Later, I was with some people, and we were getting out of an SUV at a professional athlete's house, and started chatting/BSing with him. Something came up about the stuff laying around his garage, and some of it was from former one night stands, or something.

Brace

Postby Brace » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:20 pm UTC

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:50 pm UTC

It was like watching a movie. There were a bunch of bros that were roommates, that partied and did lots of drugs. They went someplace to buy drugs, but the sellers were wary because they didn't know the guys. So one of the bros smoked some meth, then crapped on some debris in the corner. Then they all partied and did drugs. Then the bros arrested the dealers, since the bros were actually cops. Back at their apartment, they marked up on this big white board with different colored markers. They were keeping track of how many people had cried or whatever when arrested. The main character bro also had like bands of string or something tied in groups at the end of his bed for the same reason. Then a petite blond with short hair entered the picture - and then it was starting to be standard rom-com - she reforms him, etc.

Then another dream where I got up to get ready for work. Then actually had to get up :(

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:45 pm UTC

Some dreams are so vivid.
It is common to hear people talk about dreaming when ill and running a fever.

I was ill yesterday and running a fever.
I fell asleep during the day.

I had a vivid dream that held pieces of my waking life.
When I woke up, I did not know the dream was a dream.

The Dream? (ech. dumb. dreams are.)
The woman I caught the flu from and I were staying in a Guest House.
I was ill in the dream and too weak to work.

The manager told me I had to pass a BackGround Check or leave.
I presented a clear BackGround Check. He said, "No. We need a new one."

-That keeps happening in my waking life.-

I was too ill to leave.
I whispered a high security status to him.

He looked at that paper and was satisfied.
I went to my room to sleep.

Then I woke up.
For a few moments I wondered, "When did we get back?"

It was a dream.
We never left.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Return to “General”