My first election? Fuck it, man.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Glmclain

My first election? Fuck it, man.

Postby Glmclain » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:16 am UTC

I was so excited. I can vote! Holy fuck! The 2012 election, my FIRST election, this is gonna be great. Or not.

Fuck this shit man. I've been into politics since I was young, and just fuck this election. I'm pretty liberal, and just screw everything. Bachmann says the Lion King is a plot to convert kids to gay people, Rick Perry and the others want to turn this country into some kind of Christian Theocracy, Obama's been a huge disappointment, the Ronpaul is on the right track, but is too Libertarian for my tastes as far as civil rights and social progress.

When 2012 comes around, at this rate, I'll get to choose between a shitty president and a crazy Christian neo-con.

People that say one man can make a difference is lying. Unless you're rich, white, and know people, you don't matter.

I'm an artist, I can do business over the web. Fuck it man, when I'm able to, I'll just become an Expatriot in Holland or something. Peaceful little place. Lots of fun. Good government infrastructure.

Any other political youth that just don't care any more?

No matter who we vote for, we're fucked. I cannot make a difference. Everything is fucked.

I'm out.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

minime94

Re: My first election? Fuck it, man.

Postby minime94 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:16 am UTC

I'm very sorry that you feel that your country has let you down and you just want to give up but that is just making the problem worse. Without the youth, there is no proper foundation for a government. The youth in Egypt, Libya etc. are dying just for the right to vote and you just want to go "f*ck it" against your own country? Please don't give up. VOTE!

Obama is not a huge disappointment. Although he may seem like he is but he is one of many American presidents who became president at the wrong time. President Herbert Hoover (remember him?) is just like the current President Obama. He too became president at the wrong place at the wrong time. Right when the stock markets crashed on October 29th, 1929, the depression quickly damaged the global economy--that is something that NO COUNTRY could not have avoided. President Herbert Hoover failed to recover America from the Depression and no one could. If you put Clinton, Roosevelt or even Obama to deal with depression, they wouldn't know what to do either.

I'm not saying that Obama is best American president. I'm saying that if it was whether a Democrat or a Republican to win that 2008 election, no one wouldn't have avoided that recession.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:06 am UTC

Work out who is your least favourite candidate, then vote for one of the others.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:04 pm UTC

Glmclain wrote:No matter who we vote for, we're fucked. I cannot make a difference. Everything is fucked.

Yes, welcome to voting.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:27 pm UTC

Have you got anyone who's like the Ronpaul but without the vehement prolifery and general social conservatism? That's the fictional candidate I'd vote for if I were American.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

Sounds like you want to get a Democratic primary challenge to happen! Get on that. I'm lazy but that would be delightful.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Dason

Postby Dason » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Glmclain wrote:No matter who we vote for, we're fucked. I cannot make a difference. Everything is fucked.

Yes, welcome to voting.

This.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

Glmclain wrote: I'm pretty liberal, and just screw everything.

Those damn liberals and their crazy sexual morals.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

I just want to say that there is a solution for OP.

He could vote for Aleister Crowley. For reals.

We realize that Aleister Crowley is dead. And British. And, moreover, not running for office. Nevertheless, we believe that the most effective vote you can cast in 2012 is one for Aleister Crowley.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

And, depending if you're going out of state for college or something like that, you might have difficulties voting your first year.
Since some legislatives passed laws making it harder for college students and people who move around a lot to vote (for instance, in Florida if you just moved there you would have to vote on a provisional ballot, so your vote isn't considered in the election, according to Wikipedia, I think) that could be your own issue.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

Chandani wrote:And, depending if you're going out of state for college or something like that, you might have difficulties voting your first year.
Since some legislatives passed laws making it harder for college students and people who move around a lot to vote (for instance, in Florida if you just moved there you would have to vote on a provisional ballot, so your vote isn't considered in the election, according to Wikipedia, I think) that could be your own issue.

University residents are considered temporary residents and can vote absentee in their home state.

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

Hmmm. I didn't know that. Though I guess some people would like to vote in the state they are in vs the state they came from... And I do know legislators were attempting to limit voting rights of university students anyway.
So I guess if you end up in one of those states, you could vote at your home state instead. Yay?

doogly

Postby doogly » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

Yeah, you can always vote in your home state. You can also usually vote in your university state, if you look into it ahead of time. Especially useful if you are attending college in a state expecting a tougher race.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

I don't get what the obsession with the president is all about. He's just one third of the power in the US government. There's another third that's sorta important as well.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Sweet

Postby Sweet » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:Have you got anyone who's like the Ronpaul but without the vehement prolifery and general social conservatism? That's the fictional candidate I'd vote for if I were American.

Try Gary Johnson: http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/

He supports legalizing marijuana and abortion, but is fiscally conservative and has the experience of running a successful business. When he was the governor of New Mexico he left our state with a surplus, and he vetoed more bills than all the other governor's combined. Plus, he's climbed Mount Everest, so he gets cool points.

The only problem is that no one seems to be taking him seriously, and hasn't been invited to any debates, maybe because he's too reasonable. He's the only person I would consider voting for, but it feels like a waste of a vote because he has almost no chance of winning. And that seems to be the problem of the current system and human behavior. People pay more attention to who is currently winning and what the polls say, instead of the issues.

I understand the OP's pain, because this is my first election as well, and it feels like a joke. Most of the candidates terrify me.

doogly

Postby doogly » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I don't get what the obsession with the president is all about. He's just one third of the power in the US government. There's another third that's sorta important as well.

The power of the president has become quite phenomenal. It is not an even 1/3 split.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

Politics sucks! Vote for a third party as protest, and spend the rest of your time doing useful things.

minime94 wrote:The youth in Egypt, Libya etc. are dying just for the right to vote and you just want to go "f*ck it" against your own country?
You realize that was a military coup, right?
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

Yeah, I've actually never voted. One thing I'd advise: once you've decided not to vote, don't feel obligated to follow politics too closely if it's depressing you. If you're not even going to exercise the virtually non-existent influence of voting, then making yourself feel like shit about the state of politics accomplishes exactly one thing: making you feel like shit.

I follow the very public political issues and ones that I find fascinating, but I don't see the point of going on and on about how fucked we are or dwelling on it, when doing so doesn't really accomplish anything.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:42 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
minime94 wrote:The youth in Egypt, Libya etc. are dying just for the right to vote and you just want to go "f*ck it" against your own country?
You realize that was a military coup, right?
And therefore... doesn't count? What are you saying here?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

And though you cannot make a difference, you totally make one by NOT voting, right?
Wrong. Now you've given up some of the base principles that this constitutional republic was founded on.

I just vote for 3rd parties to give them more power. Every congressperson was voted into that office. Voting matters.
uhhhh fuck.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

doogly wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:I don't get what the obsession with the president is all about. He's just one third of the power in the US government. There's another third that's sorta important as well.

The power of the president has become quite phenomenal. It is not an even 1/3 split.

Wouldn't that make having an indecisive president a good thing?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

doogly

Postby doogly » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

Midnight wrote: Every congressperson was voted into that office.

And most presidents!

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
doogly wrote:

Wouldn't that make having an indecisive president a good thing?

No.

The power of the presidency has been manufactured. As written in the Constitution, the president has very little constructive authority over how the government works. That still holds true, although we have bent those rules in ways that would be funny if they weren't so tragic.

But, because the presidency has been assumed power based on its status (versus its legal standing), what we need in a president is a leader... no of his voter base, but of the politicians in government. Obama, for all his benefits and drawbacks, is a very popular person among his voter base, but he is not seen as a leader among Congress, nor among business, which are the two primary forces he needs to establish leadership over to be effective as a president, because those are the entities that have constructive authority; Congress, through passing legislation, and business, through generating wealth and innovation.

The President always gets the bum-end of the stick because it's expected that he *do* something. But he cannot! All he can do is use his status to lead the country in some direction. Obama is seen as a disappointment because despite his seeming ability to do this during the elections (because he is very good at inciting individuals to a theme), he has not shown similar ability in wrangling Congress to pass legislation that addresses our growing national concerns, nor has he led business into creating new avenues of wealth and job creation (a la Clinton).

You can't be a good leader and be indecisive at the same time. As a leader, you have to act. As a leader, you have to do something, and you have to be willing to accept the responsibility if it turns out that that something is the wrong thing.

thiebes

Postby thiebes » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:I just want to say that there is a solution for OP.

He could vote for Aleister Crowley. For reals.

Thanks for supporting the ac2012.com campaign.

“Governments too often exhibit the most deplorable stupidity, however enlightened may be the men who compose and constitute them, or the people whose destinies they direct. It is therefore incumbent on every man and woman to take the proper steps to cause the revisions of all existing statutes on the basis of the Law of Thelema. This Law being a Law of Liberty, the aim of the legislature must be to secure the amplest freedom for each individual in the state, eschewing the presumptuous assumption that any given positive ideal is worthy to be obtained.” -- Aleister Crowley

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

Not voting is pretty much the worst possible way to express disatisfaction with the political system. When pretty much an entire generation says "fuck it", politicians can ignore them. You think you don't have power? Individually, maybe. But it's not rich white people who hold the real power. It's held very thinly across everyone. It's certainly not rich white people that prevented gay marriage from passing in Maryland. It's black preachers, who happen to be some of the best turnout campaigners in the Democratic Party. The politicians were threatened by all these people who might vote against them in a primary if they didn't do what voters wanted.

Yeah, individually, you hold very little power. For an example, Maryland holds 1.8% of the votes in the electoral college. In 2008 we had 2,631,596 people vote for president. That means my vote counted for 0.0007% of the electoral college. But 33% of Maryland's eligible voters didn't turnout. Think of the influence they could have had. Think of it even more in swing states.

Yeah, right now, maybe you're supporting a shitty candidate. Pick the least shitty. Encourage your friends to get out and vote for said least shitty candidate. And if a lot of people like you start voting? Now they have to listen to you. Ever wonder why we spend enormous amounts of money on poor seniors compared to poor children or young adults? Because seniors vote. Yeah, it's shitting candidates now. But then, next time, when they realize people like you are out there, they'll pay a bit more attention. And maybe a less shitty candidate will show up, and win some votes. Time after that, They're noticing even more, and an even less shitty candidate shows up, and gets some more votes. Maybe you never ever vote for a candidate you truly are enthusiastic about, and have them win. But you've done your small, ten thousandth of a percent contribution to helping make our candidates less shitty. Maybe never awesome, and certainly not soon, but democracies are always slow.

If you think you're better off in the Netherlands, enjoy the increasingly popular Geert Wilders, who could make the Republican Party look like the Middle East Peace Ambassadors. And it took Dutch liberals 92 years since 1918 to return to government. And they had to move right and appeal to the center-right Christian Democrats and aforementioned Geert Wilders to do it.

tl;dr: if your voice isn't being heard, the solution isn't shutting up.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

ikrase

Postby ikrase » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

I have become as demoralized as you. However, in the bottom of my despair, my mind was opened to other possibilities. I think on scales of millenia, millions of years, and billions of years. I now see democracy as a brief disastrous experiment that will live out its entire existence in a wink of an eye. More importantly, I see the possibility for movements on a broad and on a local scale outside of voting. The liberation of African Americans, of homosexuals, and of women were not performed by voting, but by controlling voting, just as the pen is mighty only for the swords that it commands.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:07 pm UTC

Ha. The OP makes me think about this article and this comic. Lulz.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:51 am UTC

Not voting isn't the same as shutting up.

I live in Georgia. GA is a republican state; it is pretty much certain all electoral votes from my state are going towards whoever wins the republican nomination. I could vote democrat (not that I would) and it won't change anything. And anyways, I find the two big parties to be pretty much interchangeable--economically, they are both corporatist, and (in practice) there really isn't a difference between a party that pretends to be socially liberal to get votes from people it will ignore afterwards, and the republicans.

Fuck the two one party system. It is not a virtuous system.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:04 am UTC

Jacque wrote:Ha. The OP makes me think about this article and this comic. Lulz.

Indeed.

Hey, OP - is you stupid, high, or did you just not take the class in High School about the US Political system and the part where it goes over the Electoral College? You don't vote for the President anyway, so who gives a shit?

Fuck the Presidential Election. Go find out who your congresspeople are, particularly state level. Go find out who the Mayor is and who's running against them. Figure out the platforms of the city council members. Figure out which Judge you want to vote for if you're voting for one of those.

Don't fucking worry about the Presidential one, because you don't get to decide that one anyway. You do get to decide who's on the School Board, so figure out who's in favor of what and vote for them.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:40 am UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:And therefore... doesn't count? What are you saying here?
I'm saying it's not a reason to believe that youth voting is either powerful or positive.

omgryebread wrote:That means my vote counted for 0.0007% of the electoral college.
That's not how it works. Obama was going to win Maryland, and there was nothing anyone could do to stop that.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:19 am UTC

We just need to create positive selective pressure for non-douchbaggy traits on our politicians.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Missed the best reason: the sticker. Receive a graded assignment? Attach the sticker for a superior (imagined) score. Place it on a (willing) person and proclaim that you voted them for best friend/sibling/authority figure. Wear it as an eye patch (not advisable). Hide skin blemishes. Halt leaks. Mend rips and tears.

Do not sacrifice this opportunity to produce jealousy among nearby people.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Jacque wrote:Ha. The OP makes me think about this article and this comic. Lulz.

Indeed.

Hey, OP - is you stupid, high, or did you just not take the class in High School about the US Political system and the part where it goes over the Electoral College? You don't vote for the President anyway, so who gives a shit?

Fuck the Presidential Election. Go find out who your congresspeople are, particularly state level. Go find out who the Mayor is and who's running against them. Figure out the platforms of the city council members. Figure out which Judge you want to vote for if you're voting for one of those.

Don't fucking worry about the Presidential one, because you don't get to decide that one anyway. You do get to decide who's on the School Board, so figure out who's in favor of what and vote for them.

Jesus christ, what he said!
VOTE BECAUSE CONGRESS HAS MORE POWER THAN THEY SHOULD AND THEY ALL SUCK.
Vote for your state legislature, because they have the power to do things like strip Planned Parenthood funding for the entire state.
You can bitch about the presidential election, but unless you help vote in new people who actually agree with some of the things you believe, this kind of opinion is never going to change.

As a liberal masshole whose first election was, on the Presidential level decided by the right-wing activist Supreme Court, I know jaded, baby.
Vote locally, vote often.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Missed the best reason: the sticker.
You realize you can just buy those, right?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

And spend a third of a cent per sticker? In this economy? Does not have that amount of sense cents lying around. Functions like inexpensive wallpaper, though. Could almost create a stickerperson (instead of with snow) on your front lawn with one thousand.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

In Japan, the title of this thread means something else.

benoitowns

Postby benoitowns » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with a large number of the people in this thread. I think it is the wrong thing to vote for the "least bad candidate". It's like you are telling me to choose the lesser of two evils, when instead I can say fuck all of the evil and not support any of them. By not voting I am telling them I do not consent to them or what they want to do. If I am trying to discern who I am least against, I must remember that I am still against them, and so I shouldn't (but will have to anyway) worry about the effects of which bad guy wins. So people can choose whichever bad guy they hate less, I care more about the fact that they are a bad guy.

Maybe you guys disagree, and you hold other values more important. But I won't consent to a bunch of dumbasses trying to control the government.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

You have considerably more control over who's on your local school board, city council, and state legislature. They affect your life too, arguably more than the President will.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby Chuff » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

benoitowns wrote:By not voting I am telling them I do not consent to them or what they want to do..
No, you're telling them that they don't need to be concerned with your opinions, because you don't care.
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

Return to “General”