Living Cheaply

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fuzzycuzzy
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:11 am UTC
Location: more of a state-of-mind really... hmm? what?
Contact:

Living Cheaply

Postby fuzzycuzzy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:46 am UTC

Here I'd like to discuss methods to bring the "cost of living" down to a little as possible; some are more obvious than others, but who knows? We might give each other some ideas.

I'd like to keep a running list at the top. Please add to it!
Edit: I will be updating constantly

Internet Access - Public Library - $0
DVD'S, CD'S, and books - Public Library - $0
clothing in various conditions - GoodWill $5 ± 3/article
food - farmer's market - dirt cheap
food - food stamps - $0

Free Resources to take advantage of:
free power - Public Library
free bathroom (hey, someone's gotta pay every time you flush) - all public facilities
free shower - gym (just pay membership)
free wifi - coffee shop (just pay price of bagel: you need breakfast anyway)


can't think of any more because I'm dog tired and probably shouldn't be posting at all
Last edited by fuzzycuzzy on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:49 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Vaniver » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

The cheapest way to get access to a shower is typically a gym membership.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:25 pm UTC

Wait, is this a 'how to reduce costs' thread, or a 'how to subsist while effectively homeless' thread?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
katethegreat
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby katethegreat » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

Living with a supremely cheap father gives you experience with this!
1. Coupons (in the newspaper, online, etc)
2. Free Samples
3. Taking food home from meetings at work
4. Keeping the heat low in winter
5. No AC :(
6. Buying only things that are on sale, and often in bulk
7. Tap water is fine, there's no need for bottled water
8. Comparing different gas stations' prices, getting regular gas not super plus
9. Not going out to eat

If I think of anything more I'll post it.

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Shivahn » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

katethegreat wrote:Living with a supremely cheap father gives you experience with this!
9. Not going out to eat

That one in particular, over time, makes a huge difference.

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Kang » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Wait, is this a 'how to reduce costs' thread, or a 'how to subsist while effectively homeless' thread?

Doesn't one converge on the other when pushed far enough?

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Vaniver » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:49 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Wait, is this a 'how to reduce costs' thread, or a 'how to subsist while effectively homeless' thread?
Well, the OP states as little as possible- which to me implies homelessness. Rent is too dang high.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Bearboy
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Bearboy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:32 am UTC

farmers markets, sunday markets etc.

One near me has a stall there every week which sells bulk name brand toiletries and other supplies. I buy toilet paper, shampoo, washng detergent there for about 1/2 price at a supermarket. They also have other stalls selling bulk fruit and veg however I can't eat that much so I don't buy from there. I even once picked up a brand new pair of leather boots, compfy as all hell for $70, had them for a year now and only a bit worn out from 5km walking a day.

Another thing is to shop much more often at supermarkets. While each shop you might only buy a few items if something goes on sale for just one day you can buy it in bulk. Got a couple racks of barbeque ribs for $10 a kilo once, split them in half, frooze them and ate them over a few weeks.

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby yurell » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:02 am UTC

  • Drink tap water (depending on where you are this may / may not be possible)
  • Don't booze - a VB stubby costs $2.34, 375 mL of water costs $0.0016
  • Don't smoke
  • Don't use recreational drugs
  • Wear a jumper instead of turning on a heater
  • Walk for short journeys, to save the price of petrol / public transport
  • Don't eat out
  • Buy foods in bulk - if you're buying perishable foods, no reason you can't precook yourself food for the week / month in one day (I've done this, with several different meal options available depending on what I felt like on the day)
  • Start a herb garden - instead of having to buy parsley, grow it yourself! I know it's cheaper, because we've had parsley plants for years and just haven't been able to eradicate them ^o^ Obviously impossible to do if you're in an apartment that doesn't have a garden
  • Don't buy new clothes unless you need them

Importantly, don't give up what you do for fun ... if it costs too much, tune it down. I couldn't live without the internet, so I am willing to sacrifice in other areas to have it, and if it costs too much I can always buy a cheaper cap. Boredom and unhappiness are terrible things.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
apricity
almost grown-up but not quite
Posts: 3983
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:28 am UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby apricity » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:33 am UTC

Some areas, like my own, have huuuuge "free" sections on craigslist. Or if not free stuff, much of it is very cheap.

Shopping around. I've found that places like Family Dollar stock kitchen supplies and toiletries (even name brands!) for much cheaper than most other stores. Big box stores have basic food for very cheap. Trader Joe's has the cheapest produce around here. Supermarkets in low-income areas stock cheaper food than ones in high-income areas. McDonald's has the cheapest ice cream cones, and they are probably the same number of calories that they'd be anywhere else. Pastry stores often sell day-old pastries for half price.

Dumpster diving is big in the hipster world. I wouldn't recommend it for food though. I think it's assholish to take free food that people who are actually in need could access, if you can afford to buy it but just choose not to.

Applying for food stamps, if you qualify, is a big thing that many people don't think of.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

fuzzycuzzy
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:11 am UTC
Location: more of a state-of-mind really... hmm? what?
Contact:

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby fuzzycuzzy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:Some areas, like my own, have huuuuge "free" sections on craigslist. Or if not free stuff, much of it is very cheap.

Shopping around. I've found that places like Family Dollar stock kitchen supplies and toiletries (even name brands!) for much cheaper than most other stores. Big box stores have basic food for very cheap. Trader Joe's has the cheapest produce around here. Supermarkets in low-income areas stock cheaper food than ones in high-income areas. McDonald's has the cheapest ice cream cones, and they are probably the same number of calories that they'd be anywhere else. Pastry stores often sell day-old pastries for half price.

Dumpster diving is big in the hipster world. I wouldn't recommend it for food though. I think it's assholish to take free food that people who are actually in need could access, if you can afford to buy it but just choose not to.

Applying for food stamps, if you qualify, is a big thing that many people don't think of.

Trader Joe's has the most expensive produce around here, so that kind of shocked me.

User avatar
apricity
almost grown-up but not quite
Posts: 3983
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:28 am UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby apricity » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

See, that's why you shop around! :mrgreen:
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

I think where I used to live Trader Joes was the cheapest organic produce around, but regular produce and other goods were usually cheaper elsewhere.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Ashlah » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:Applying for food stamps, if you qualify, is a big thing that many people don't think of.

That's been a big one for me. This month was my last with food stamps, which I used for about a year and a half (working retail and going to school). I got a good job after graduation, so I called and had it closed, but I'll be sad to not have that $200/month.

User avatar
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature
Posts: 4576
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:47 pm UTC

Check what sort of low-income utilities discounts you might qualify for. I make too much for food stamps (the guidelines - barring disability and some other things - require you to be under 130% FPL), but we qualify for our electrical company and our gas (for the water heater, not gas for our cars) comany's low-income discount.

I'm confused though, whether this is meant to be tips on living cheaply, or surviving whilst homeless...I would LOVE to have a gym membership, but can't afford it. Certainly not the cheapest way to get showers if you already have a home with running water.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Ashlah » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:48 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I would LOVE to have a gym membership, but can't afford it. Certainly not the cheapest way to get showers if you already have a home with running water.

This very likely does not apply to most people trying to live cheaply, but I just found out that my job will actually reimburse employees up to $30/month for gym memberships. There are only 5 people in this office, and not everybody knew about it. So, if you happen to be lucky enough to have a job where they offer standard benefits, it might be worth asking if there are other lesser-known benefits. Like I said, might not be widely applicable, but worth a small mention, I think.

User avatar
Ortus
Fluffy
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:09 am UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Ortus » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:57 pm UTC

Learn magic and/or a backflip, proceed to sucker people in to paying a dollar to see magic/or a backflip - I make lunch money most days of the week like this. That said, this is not a very serious item to add to the list.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:00 am UTC

Ortus wrote:Learn magic and/or a backflip, proceed to sucker people in to paying a dollar to see magic/or a backflip - I make lunch money most days of the week like this. That said, this is not a very serious item to add to the list.

You've mentioned this before. Do you have time for a full-time job while doing this?

Also, the showers: If you're a student you might have access to the campus gym for free (well, not free, but without having a choice about paying for it). I had a room mate who used the showers at the campus gym until it got to be too inconvenient and he just said fuck-it. He also took toilet paper from the restrooms. It was cheap, scratchy toilet paper, but it was free.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:He also took toilet paper from the restrooms. It was cheap, scratchy toilet paper, but it was free.
For certain values of the word "Free". This could also ... well, basically, I've heard of places that stop stocking things like Toilet Paper and such because "people just steal it". So they'll do things like have one roll for three stalls or something. It's.. basically something to keep in mind, that engaging in petty larceny today may result in expected supplies not being there in the future.

But yeah, it's going to depend on the usage levels of the restroom and how much is taken. A roll a week from a very busy restroom where no one else is stealing is not going to get noticed. Multiple people plundering an out of the way facility is going to get noticed very quickly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4585
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

Here's my list:

1. Don't own a car if you can help it. They're black holes for money--insurance, maintenance, gas, etc. really add up, nevermind the actual purchase price of the car. I've often heard people complain that they have to have a car because they can't afford to live close enough to walk/bike to work, but remember that your car could be costing you $500+ each month once all of these things are factored in. Biking/walking is better for your health anyway, of course. If you need to go farther, public transit may be workable depending on the infrastructure in your city. If you need to transport something relatively heavy every now and then, taking a cab is still worthwhile at this point as well.

2. Don't pay for TV. You can find most shows available legally online, so if you just pay for Internet, you should get all of your TV for free. It goes without saying that if you pursue less-than-legal avenues, you can find pretty much anything you want. If you trust your neighbours (and live in an apartment), you can probably share a WiFi with them for added Internet savings. Keep an eye on your Internet usage and make sure you aren't overpaying by getting a better plan than you actually need. There are plenty of places (cafes, libraries, etc.) where you can get free WiFi access as well.

3. Get a cheap phone. If you get a basic pay-as-you-go type cell phone, you can get your costs down to $10/month or less if you aren't a heavy user. For heavy usage, a bare-bones plan with a My-Five to your important numbers works pretty well too. Don't bother with a land line.

4. Don't buy new electronics. Unless you are a hardcore gamer or something, a computer that is 5 years old is probably just as good as a brand new one, but you can probably get the 5 YO one for $50 second-hand. Ditto if you want an iPod or something. This is true about used about anything, actually.

5. Live with someone else. Shared accommodation is almost always cheaper than single. Unless the other person is a child, in which case your costs are multiplied.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:41 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Here's my list:

1. Don't own a car if you can help it. Also, try to live in a tiny fraction of the geography of your nation, as that's the only place that has things like public transportation and cab services that will allow you to live without a vehicle OR are so remote and hard to move around that pretty much everyone just does everthing for themselves anyway, and there's no real reason to move around more than a few miles from your home

Fix'd that first one for ya.

(Not saying that's not accurate. If this page is accurate, 68% of the US population lives on 2% of it's area. The other 98% probably has no public transportation or cab service.)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4585
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Here's my list:

1. Don't own a car if you can help it. Also, try to live in a tiny fraction of the geography of your nation, as that's the only place that has things like public transportation and cab services that will allow you to live without a vehicle OR are so remote and hard to move around that pretty much everyone just does everthing for themselves anyway, and there's no real reason to move around more than a few miles from your home

Fix'd that first one for ya.

(Not saying that's not accurate. If this page is accurate, 68% of the US population lives on 2% of it's area. The other 98% probably has no public transportation or cab service.)


Hence the "if you can help it" part. There are obviously circumstances where you have to have a car to function, but the majority of people do in fact live in cities, which do tend to have these sorts of services. I don't live in the United States, so I'll admit my bias there. More than 80% of the population here are city-dwellers.

Random factoid: apparently if everyone lived in a region with the population density of Singapore, we could fit the world's current population comfortably into Texas and California with room to spare.

JudeMorrigan
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Hence the "if you can help it" part. There are obviously circumstances where you have to have a car to function, but the majority of people do in fact live in cities, which do tend to have these sorts of services. I don't live in the United States, so I'll admit my bias there. More than 80% of the population here are city-dwellers.

Ah, there's the rub, I expect. Don't get me wrong, it's our owned darned fault to a non-trivial extent (yay, suburbia!), but it really isn't practical for a sizeable portion of the U.S. Even in places where cycling to work *should* be a practical option distance-wise, it's not uncommon for the road system to not be particularly well set-up to support it. I mean, I live ~17mi from work. Notionally, that's doable. But even if I could spare ~2.5-3 hours a day for commuting, I'd seriously fear for my life regularly making that trip on the roads I'd have to travel on during the hours I'd have to travel during.

User avatar
jawdisorder
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:44 am UTC
Location: Badgerland

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby jawdisorder » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:56 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Hence the "if you can help it" part. There are obviously circumstances where you have to have a car to function, but the majority of people do in fact live in cities, which do tend to have these sorts of services. I don't live in the United States, so I'll admit my bias there. More than 80% of the population here are city-dwellers.

Ah, there's the rub, I expect. Don't get me wrong, it's our owned darned fault to a non-trivial extent (yay, suburbia!), but it really isn't practical for a sizeable portion of the U.S. Even in places where cycling to work *should* be a practical option distance-wise, it's not uncommon for the road system to not be particularly well set-up to support it. I mean, I live ~17mi from work. Notionally, that's doable. But even if I could spare ~2.5-3 hours a day for commuting, I'd seriously fear for my life regularly making that trip on the roads I'd have to travel on during the hours I'd have to travel during.


I ran into this problem with my job over the summer. Driving there was only 12 or 13 miles, easily bikable, but taking roads that can accommodate a bike the distance it suddenly over 20 miles.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

The US and Canada both have such a spacing surplus that even on cities that have somewhat of a public transportation system, there's not enough money to make the system good enough to actually be used. It's kinda a catch-22 : To get people to use it, it has to go to a lot of places, but to go to a lot of places, there have to be a lot of people to use it. Post-War America (That'd be the 50s) and so on became so car-focused that the problem of urban sprawl was exacerbated. You pretty much have to be in a city with a 500,000+ metro population before Public Transportation is worth a damn - at least in the US. Not sure how big a city has to be before Public Transportation is useful in Canada.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Jorpho » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:54 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:The cheapest way to get access to a shower is typically a gym membership.
Good heavens, no matter how bad things get I hope I will at least spared being forced to shower in public.

I for one am astonished at how much perfectly good furniture gets tossed hereabouts. Not that I would ever haul in an old sofa or mattress; begbugs are still a Thing, after all, aren't they? (Perhaps a hammock is a good way to reduce expenses these days?)

"Pay off your credit card in full every month" is perhaps a little too obvious.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:56 am UTC

If you have a garage or otherwise enclosed nonliving space, I suppose you could just bug bomb a couch or something.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Carnildo
Posts: 2023
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:43 am UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Carnildo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:18 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Hence the "if you can help it" part. There are obviously circumstances where you have to have a car to function, but the majority of people do in fact live in cities, which do tend to have these sorts of services. I don't live in the United States, so I'll admit my bias there. More than 80% of the population here are city-dwellers.

The majority of US cities do have at least a notional public transportation system, but it's usually not a practical way to get around. As a concrete example, I live in a city of about a quarter-million. I've got three options for getting to work:
1) Drive. Three miles, about ten minutes.
2) Walk. Three miles, about 45 minutes, includes a suicidal road crossing. I'm lucky in that there are sidewalks the whole way.
3) Take the bus. Five miles, about 40 minutes, and includes a half-mile walk.

User avatar
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.
Posts: 2044
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Deva » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:20 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If you have a garage or otherwise enclosed nonliving space, I suppose you could just bug bomb a couch or something.

Might be unsuccessful against bed bugs.
Source1 (Page seven) wrote:Foggers and bug bombs are not
effective against them.

Source2 wrote:1.Never use a “bug bomb” to treat bed bugs.
Bed bugs are fast, and they are tiny. When they sense the fumes from the bug bomb, they will just scatter. They will run into the walls, into the hallway, into other rooms, anywhere to escape the fumes. Or if you live in a multi-unit dwelling, they will head over to the neighbor’s place. Eventually, some will return to your bedroom. The rest will be waiting for you everywhere else. Even though a bug bomb might seem like the easiest solution, treating bed bugs at home with this approach can acutally make the problem worse.

This applies not just to bug bombs. It goes for any kind of poorly-thought out do-it-yourself pest control plan. If you don’t know what you are doing, you won’t kill them. You’ll just wind up chasing them away, and spreading them everywhere.

Assumes warfare in open areas. Has a knack for escaping, evidently. Enclosed a mattress in plastic. Squeezed through the space where the zipper hit the end. Could locate similar small crevices and later reinfest the couch. Seems possible to latch onto you before treatment begins, also.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Plasma Man » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:33 am UTC

Libraries have been mentioned for free wi-fi and cheap DVDs, but strangely no-one has mentioned them as a source of books. Also, UK libraries often have copies of the day's papers for patrons to read.

I'd suggest learning basic sewing. Re-attaching a button is easy, and I've extended the life of several items of clothing by repairing seams that had split.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:31 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Hence the "if you can help it" part. There are obviously circumstances where you have to have a car to function, but the majority of people do in fact live in cities, which do tend to have these sorts of services. I don't live in the United States, so I'll admit my bias there. More than 80% of the population here are city-dwellers.

The majority of US cities do have at least a notional public transportation system, but it's usually not a practical way to get around. As a concrete example, I live in a city of about a quarter-million. I've got three options for getting to work:
1) Drive. Three miles, about ten minutes.
2) Walk. Three miles, about 45 minutes, includes a suicidal road crossing. I'm lucky in that there are sidewalks the whole way.
3) Take the bus. Five miles, about 40 minutes, and includes a half-mile walk.


why is cycling not an option?

actuallly about cars, perhaps motorbikes/scooters are a better option for the financially challenged, they are cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to insure, and cheaper to tax, they are just as fast as cars.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 pm UTC

Deva wrote:
Spoiler:
SexyTalon wrote:If you have a garage or otherwise enclosed nonliving space, I suppose you could just bug bomb a couch or something.

Might be unsuccessful against bed bugs.
Source1 (Page seven) wrote:Foggers and bug bombs are not
effective against them.

Source2 wrote:1.Never use a “bug bomb” to treat bed bugs.
Bed bugs are fast, and they are tiny. When they sense the fumes from the bug bomb, they will just scatter. They will run into the walls, into the hallway, into other rooms, anywhere to escape the fumes. Or if you live in a multi-unit dwelling, they will head over to the neighbor’s place. Eventually, some will return to your bedroom. The rest will be waiting for you everywhere else. Even though a bug bomb might seem like the easiest solution, treating bed bugs at home with this approach can acutally make the problem worse.

This applies not just to bug bombs. It goes for any kind of poorly-thought out do-it-yourself pest control plan. If you don’t know what you are doing, you won’t kill them. You’ll just wind up chasing them away, and spreading them everywhere.

Assumes warfare in open areas. Has a knack for escaping, evidently. Enclosed a mattress in plastic. Squeezed through the space where the zipper hit the end. Could locate similar small crevices and later reinfest the couch. Seems possible to latch onto you before treatment begins, also.
Yeep. Nevermind then.

AvatarIII wrote:why is cycling not an option?

actuallly about cars, perhaps motorbikes/scooters are a better option for the financially challenged, they are cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to insure, and cheaper to tax, they are just as fast as cars.
This is .. highly city dependent, but it will range from either a perfectly reasonable way to get around to "It's faster and cheaper to just step in front of a speeding bus with the exact same results". Some places are.... saying they're "Actively Hostile" to cyclists makes it sound like they'll run you over on purpose. ....So I'm going with Actively Hostile.

People are jerks.

Anyway, yeah.. the properly licensed and registered moped may be a reasonable option, provided you buy a real live Street Legal one. (Remember people! If it's on the road and has a motor, it's required to have a license plate! Also, lights, speedometers and all that jazz.)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

yawningdog
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm UTC
Location: Glen Allen, Virginia

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby yawningdog » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

Learn to hunt and fish. It's a skill set that takes a while to ramp up, but once you're proficient at it it's probably the cheapest way to keep protein in the fridge. It's also nominally good execise, and being outside for a change is something that most people would find cathartic.

And as long as everyone seems cool with food stamps, let's not leave out panhandling.
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Both may require it be a particular time of year and, in the case of large game animals, you may need extra equipment in the form of a deep freeze to store the meat.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Also, it depends on where you're located. If you're in a very urban area, it takes time, money, and equipment to go hunting.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Cytoplasm
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:00 am UTC
Location: EE.UU.(+ Cheese)

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Cytoplasm » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Someone mentioned Family Dollar and our family dollar is a bit more expensive than our dollar tree. I've found dollar stores are great. Also, good wills are great for almost everything. There was a bag deal yesterday: five dollars (plus tax) for whatever you could fit in the paper bag provided. I got some dishes, silverwear, a jewelry box, some candels and a one of those sented oil burner thingers. It was a lot cheaper than the few things I got at a Target.

Also, any stores that are closing/going out of buisness usually have good deals.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

User avatar
PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters
Posts: 3070
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:34 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Also, it depends on where you're located. If you're in a very urban area, it takes time, money, and equipment to go hunting.

A bolo and patience will net you a tasty, tasty Canada Goose in most urban parks. Offer your services to a golf club, give the extra geese away to the other poor folks.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:44 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:A bolo and patience will net you a tasty, tasty Canada Goose in most urban parks. Offer your services to a golf club, give the extra geese away to the other poor folks.
Do people seriously do that? Or go after squirrels or pigeons or seagulls? I reckon they'd try to keep something like that private.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:47 am UTC

Hence the relatively silent bolo, I'd imagine.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Living Cheaply

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:00 am UTC

Is that even legal? Would you run into trouble with city parks or health departments?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests