xkcd Comic used in state wide exam - Australia

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Chris Dude70

xkcd Comic used in state wide exam - Australia

Postby Chris Dude70 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:01 am UTC

Hey everyone,

(Hopefully nobody beat me to this)

So, today I did the Queensland Core Skills test.
Wikipedia - The Queensland Core Skills Test is a statewide test completed by all Queensland year twelve students who wish to be eligible for an Overall Position (OP) and is optional (but beneficial) for tertiary rank students. These ranks are used to gain entrance into tertiary degrees and courses. In-school subject rankings given to students are scaled and moderated using the performance of the subject cohort at individual schools on the QCS test. The QCS test is the only statewide external exam conducted in the two senior years of secondary education (years 11 and 12).

A very important test for some people.

So, we were instructed to read the instruction on the front cover of the test booklet. The paper, being slightly transperent as paper is, revealed an outline of what appeared to be a stick figure ont he reverse side of the page. When I saw it, I thought no, It couldent be, but sure enough, when we were permitted to turn the page, it was one of Randalls!

Turns out, it was comic: http://xkcd.com/710/

Question one of one of the most important tests of our highschool years.

So, xkcd is partially responcible for the futures of thousands of Australian teenagers.

Quite an achievement.

Oh, I will upload a photo of the question sometime soon. We were given a copy of the questions sheet to take home.

mshaw29

Re: xkcd Comic used in state wide exam - Australia

Postby mshaw29 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:06 am UTC

I was just about to post that, made an account for it... Great test *sarcasm*... loved the part where they decided to teach us about hacking and passwords. Reminds me of a recent comic.

the_mean_marine

Postby the_mean_marine » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:39 am UTC

Why, oh why was there never anything like that in my exams?

mshaw29

Postby mshaw29 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:34 am UTC

the_mean_marine wrote:Why, oh why was there never anything like that in my exams?

It was about the number system not the comic, though seeing the comic made my dad for 5 minutes. Our cartoonist picture was a guy standing in a footprint, would of loved to see some of xkcd's best in the test

aldonius

Postby aldonius » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:35 am UTC

I noted the bad capitalisation in the copyright notes, emailed them and got a reply!

... I am happy with myself.

Chris Dude70

Postby Chris Dude70 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 pm UTC

aldonius wrote:I noted the bad capitalisation in the copyright notes, emailed them and got a reply!

... I am happy with myself.

Haha, I saw that too.

xkcd does not require a capital. :P

Return to “General”