Friday Afternoon Blues?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dr.Buck

Friday Afternoon Blues?

Postby Dr.Buck » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

Anyone else find it really hard to actually do anything at work on a Friday afternoon? I find that once i've had lunch, all I actually achieve is a lot of internetting, with the occasional making (and drinking) of a cup of tea. Right up until 5pm when my wife arrives to pick me up and GTFOOD. :D

Just me?

iChef

Re: Friday Afternoon Blues?

Postby iChef » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

Not really,

But then again my average Friday looks like this

6AM - Wake up and curse God for creating such a thing as 6AM

6:30 - Cold Thai food for breakfast (of champions)

8:00 AM - Arrive at work begin organizing prep sheets and order guides, drink 4th cup of coffee

10:00 AM - most of my morning prep staff is here, I am helping unload truck containing a couple thousand pounds of food

12:00 noon - lunch time, working out a good sweat over the grill, current kitchen temperature 100 degrees year round

2:00 - lunch is over, I am cutting a few hundred pounds of raw fish and meat for nighttime

4:00 PM - dinner crew is here I get to eat lunch while they set up stations and blast Rage Against the Machine songs over the kitchen speakers

5:00 - 11:30 PM - sell about $20k worth of food to a few hundred people

12:30 AM - write prep sheets, help finish cleaning up, clandestine meetings with bartender to find out why my fry cook is all pissed off lately and to absorb a bottle of jameson.

1:30 AM - Get home, set coffee timer so I can do this again tomorrow.

And I love every single minute of it. Aside from the fact it takes turpintine and a wire brush to wash the fish, grease and food off me every night. Does anyone in any science fields know a good place I can go and just autoclave myself every night? seems like it would save some time.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

As I was reading your schedule I kept expecting the obvious friday joke to manifest.
Spoiler:

I'm pretty excited about gaining an hour of sleep tonight.

iChef

Postby iChef » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:11 am UTC

What on earth is that, and how is it the obvious Friday joke? When I think of Friday the last thing I think about is Steven Colbert dancing with some other guy while a third guy busts through a large calender and starts singing. Am I missing something?

edit: and now my horizons are expanded. ty blue
Last edited by iChef on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:09 am UTC

iCryBlood

Postby iCryBlood » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:05 am UTC

My Friday: Wake up, go to school, come back, eat, game until saturday. The most inhealthy/enjoyable activity. :twisted:

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:02 am UTC

My friday afternoon:

Open up some IDE or some report for coursework. Close it, it can wait and I can't be arsed.

Nonchalantly press a firefox macro opening various forae, imageboards and aggregators. Peruse. Get bored, close firefox.

Fire up a game, play a bit, close the game. Download another game and save it somewhere. Consider trying another game, can't be arsed.

Regrets.

Launch game again to distract from regrets.

Poop.

Refresh forae, nothing interesting, goddamnit.

Cook, eat.

Browse internet aimlessly.

Go to bed.

Get up, pad the window to prevent light from entering.

Go to bed.

Get up, bitch at neighbors to make less noise.

Go to bed.

Regrets.

Regrets.

Sleep.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:25 am UTC

Depends on which Friday it is. If it's the Friday before our monthly meeting, I'd be seen busting ass all afternoon trying to get status reports updated, printed, and sorted out and ready to place in boss' chair. I have to print 12 copies of our county SPLOST report, 12 copies of a particular state project report, and do 6 copies of a couple of other reports.

Any other Friday I'm just chugging along, doing offer packages, preparing closings, and anything else. I try to get as much done so I have a (somewhat) clean slate the following Monday.
PRG

An important message for you:

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:58 am UTC

I more have a problem with Sundays being like that. I feel dirty from the moment I wake up.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:27 am UTC

Get up, go to work, lift heavy oxygen tanks and concentrators until after sundown, try to get off on time, usually get blasted with a last-minute setup, curse, be out until 8-10 p.m.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

iChef

Postby iChef » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:54 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:My friday afternoon:

Open up some IDE or some report for coursework. Close it, it can wait and I can't be arsed.

I read that wrong the first time. Thought it said "Open up IED". I don't advise trying to diffuse a bomb before breakfast unless you really don't have any other choice. My locker partner from freshman year of high school messes around with those things. Knowing him I seriously hope they let him get a couple cups of coffee in before picking up the robot/blast suit/ pliers.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

I have Physics Lab classes every Friday from 13:00 to 15:30. Those classes tend to exhaust me. As soon as I get home, I make myself a sandwich or something and browse 9gag or something. I spend an hour or two lazying around like that, and afterwards I usually do the vacuuming, clean the bathroom etc. Later I meet with my boyfriend. That's pretty much my every Friday. Sometimes I wish I didn't have those lab classes, as I get the feeling that I feel tired the whole day because of them and fall asleep at midnight like a baby. :oops:

Dr.Buck

Postby Dr.Buck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

Well, i'm glad it's not just me! Especially when the Friday Blues have come a day early this week (often happens after a week off I find). :|

God only knows what tomorrow (an actual Friday!) will be like! :shock:

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

Well, my Friday (today) pretty much sucked. Spent the first four waking hours writing a lab report and then went to lab class. Got mocked about ugly handwriting by our assistant :roll: and had some trouble performing the lab exercise. Soon after the lab, I ended up running to catch a bus for my hometown, because I recklessly took a half-hour rest after the lab class. Now I'm posting from the gorram bus. Some crappy movie is broadcasted on the TV, I have nothing smart to do online (that is, I feel too tired for the things I should be doing on my computer), the lights in the bus are out, it's dark, and I'd fall asleep if not for web-surfing.
Yep, Friday Afternoon Blues pretty much sums up my mood atm. :?

wst

Postby wst » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

A lot of my work is on the road, going to sewage treatment plants, maintaining the equipment we have in them. My typical Friday sees me at the factory at 8.30, loading up with reagents and standards, downing an instant coffee... gradually, and then hitting the road at 9am. Driving a fair distance (on a Friday I try to keep local, maybe 50 miles max), so I get to the STW between 10 and 11 (except when traffic is bad, when 12 isn't unheard off. That's setting me up for overtime though!). It takes about 20 minutes to go through the physical maintenance of the equipment to get it to a state where I can start the calibration cycle unless it's all up the chute. When I've got it to a state where I can start a cal, I refill the standards and reagents, clean the filters, look at the numbers on the screen, and read a book. It takes 40 minutes to cal, due to the nature of the probes, so if it fails to cal (the equipment is fickle), I have to remake the probe and re-cal it. That's another 40 minutes, but there's no actual work to do... so I read.

I have a cutoff time of 3pm. If the cal won't finish by 3, I get my work report signed off, and I say "see you tomorrow/next week" (depends on the day) and get the hell out of there to get back to the factory before rush hour. Being 10 minutes late leaving can make you an hour late arriving. That's the most stress I get when I'm doing services....

Some days I do 2 STW's, today though I only had one... it took 3 attempts to cal. I got about 70 pages into a new novel, left at about 1.30, had a nice relaxing drive home. Not too many idiots on the road before rush hour.

Sometimes I'm in the facory on a Friday, all day... the last hour is horrible. It lasts roughly an entire week. Even going to the toilet for ages doesn't make the time go faster!
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:02 am UTC

Sometimes I get blue in the afternoons only because that's my low energy time usually. And I used to get extra blue on Fridays since everyone else was always happy it was Friday and had big plans involving lots of ostensible fun and I never was, but that was back before some amazing changes in my overall attitude began to take place. Now I love every day. Even Friday afternoons! Even Monday mornings! EVEN BIG MESSY POOPS HASTILY UNDERTAKEN ON THE WAY OUT THE DOOR. No matter how bad my day may seem, I know - I mean not just theoretically - that someone else has it much worse, and if I'm spending time feeling sorry for myself it's because I'm ignoring the part about being grateful for what I have. Even poops. Even poops.

Return to “General”