What is your best thanksgiving related story?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

scratch123

What is your best thanksgiving related story?

Postby scratch123 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:32 am UTC

I am curious to find out what other peoples thanksgivings are like.

Dr.Buck

Re: What is your best thanksgiving related story?

Postby Dr.Buck » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:28 am UTC

Like any other day of the year. Doesn't mean much in the UK! :lol:

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:07 am UTC

This year's best story definitely goes to grandmother showing everyone the burn marks from the shell casing that fell in the front of her blouse at the gun range, and the ensuing discussion between her, her niece (my mom's cousin, my aunt/second cousin once removed) and my sister about the ethics of using a firearm for self defense. (Grandmother wouldn't hesitate to shoot a person causing harm to her family, this, along with her recent RV camper purchase, concerns me somewhat in light of her appreciation of the t.v. show Breaking Bad).

Last year also had a good near-incident, involving a second cousin of mine, a unicycle, and I think it was a stand alone fire pit.

There's also been a lot of talk about the deep fried turkey that may or may not have been there.

I'm not entirely sure what that might tell you about what my thanksgivings are like.

iChef

Postby iChef » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:09 am UTC

Every year my family plays a football game after dinner. A couple years ago one of my cousins fell and split his face wide open. We were at my grandparents house which is kinda in the middle of no where in the woods of Michigan. It was decided that another cousin who had recently entered med school would take some regular thread and a very tiny fish hook and sew him back up. A couple shots of bourbon and some 19th century style surgery later he was good as new.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Dr.Buck

Postby Dr.Buck » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:08 pm UTC

See, it's threads like this that make me think that living in America would be really cool!

Deep-fried turkeys, firepit-jumping unicyclists and whiskey-fuelled, old-fashioned midnight surgery! :mrgreen:

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:17 am UTC

Mine have generally been nice quiet quasi-traditional family get-togethers, except for that one year when I was sick with the flu, and a couple years back when the highest point of the whole thing was macadamia-nut stuffing. (Good stuffing. Bad memories.) It's not all boiling oil and explosions and homestyle anesthesia -- you have to have the right people for it, too. Preferably at a distance.

big boss

Postby big boss » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:19 am UTC

I slept the entire day because the day before, black wednesday, is a much bigger deal for myself :)
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

wismith

Postby wismith » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

big boss wrote:I slept the entire day because the day before, black wednesday, is a much bigger deal for myself :)

+1. Absolutely agree with you.
Last edited by wismith on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

King Author

Postby King Author » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Every Thanksgiving I ever suffered through before striking out on my own and stopping celebrating it was the same...
1) Nine to twelve people who hate each other force smalltalk over dry turkey.
2) Someone starts some shit.
3) All grievances from the past two decades are drudged back up in simultaneous overtalk and shouting.
4) The baby cries. There's always a baby.
5) Everyone apologizes and goes home drunk.

Way back in seventh grade, though, this kid Chris from my homeroom said he felt up his cousin one year. We'd always try to top that come Thanksgiving. Nobody ever did.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

Return to “General”