The Sun

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Koyaanisqatsi

The Sun

Postby Koyaanisqatsi » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:09 pm UTC

Today I looked directly at the sun.

All my life, everyone has always told me, "Don't look directly at the sun! It's bad for your eyes!" And all my life I obeyed. Until today, I didn't even know what the sun looked like, were I to look directly at it, but now I know.

They told me, all my life, don't look at it. For a good reason, of course. Afterwards I saw a faint purple spot that stuck around for a while. It probably wasn't good for my eyes. So, like they told me, I didn't look. Every time I would see the sun in the sky, I would remember not to look at it. "It's bad for your eyes," I would remember, and I wouldn't look at it. And I never saw it. I never knew what it looked like. But now I know. It looks white. There's not a single blemish on it. It's completely one color.

They told me not to, whatever I do, don't look at it. But today, I was just looking out the window, and I saw the sun. As usual, I remembered, "Don't look at it, it's bad for your eyes." But then I thought, "No! You can't tell me what I can and can't look at it! Fuck you!" And I looked. It was pretty cool.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Re: The Sun

Postby Kewangji » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

Congratulations.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 pm UTC

next time, you might want to try using a pinhole projector. Your eyes might appreciate it.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

Koyaanisqatsi wrote:It looks white. There's not a single blemish on it. It's completely one color.

Obviously you weren't looking closely enough.

Which means the moral of the story is "If you do what people tell you that you shouldn't do, then you'll hurt yourself and still be wrong."
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:51 am UTC

Yeah, not a good idea. If you doubted it was bad for you, you could have sat down and done the maths and found out it was indeed bad for you and not done it.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:03 am UTC

Koyaanisqatsi wrote:But now I know. It looks white. There's not a single blemish on it. It's completely one color.

It only looked that way because it was so freaking bright your eyes couldn't make sense of it. It's got blemishes and color swirls and all sorts of fun stuff. Get some Grade 14 Welding Goggles (or better) and have another look.

But don't look with anything less than that. Because your eyeballs will boil in your skull and pop out and run around screaming and write you a really angry letter which they'll then have to dictate to you seeing as you can't see due to the whole.. you know.. eyes popping out and letter writing thing... which is going to be really tricky because eyes aren't mouths and so they can't talk.

Unless you're the Corinthian, in which case what eyes?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:36 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Koyaanisqatsi wrote:But now I know. It looks white. There's not a single blemish on it. It's completely one color.

It only looked that way because it was so freaking bright your eyes couldn't make sense of it. It's got blemishes and color swirls and all sorts of fun stuff. Get some Grade 14 Welding Goggles (or better) and have another look.

This. And you can see quite a bit more if you aren't relying on human eyes, being able to see in different wavelengths of light helps too, and wider, or narrower ranges of intensity or wavelength allows for some impressive images. :)

And even more impressive in action :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Y6ay-41No
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3u_0NN7OM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmDZhQAIeXM

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:40 am UTC

I've looked at the sun plenty of times, although always with protective glasses, and even with those you can clearly see that it's not an unblemished white circle! :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse#Viewing

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

You kinda sound like the Double Rainbow guy.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

You can get special solar telescopes designed for safely magnifying the Sun. Something like this They cost about £400 though. You can use an ordinary telescope as well, but you have to put a filter in front of all the optics otherwise they tend to overheat.

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

You didn't stare directly at it until the star itself turned purple and began wobbling around? You chicken. I did this all the time when I was a child and only need corrective lenses for one eye.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

Koyaanisqatsi wrote:Today I looked directly at the sun.

It looks white. There's not a single blemish on it. It's completely one color.

Except page three which looks like boobies.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Koyaanisqatsi wrote:Today I looked directly at the sun.

It looks white. There's not a single blemish on it. It's completely one color.

Except page three which looks like boobies.

Badum-tish
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Kang

Postby Kang » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

That's what you get for questioning what people tell you.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:02 am UTC

Wait, you get boobies for questioning what people tell you?

QUESTION ALL THE THINGS!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:12 am UTC

Spoiler:
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

You can tell those boobies are having a very serious discussion.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:58 pm UTC

What about this pic of a young chick with a pair of great tits and a nice pink pussy:
Spoiler:

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:19 am UTC

elminster wrote:What about this pic of a young chick with a pair of great tits and a nice pink pussy:
Spoiler:

not to mention a nice
Spoiler:

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:42 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:
elminster wrote:What about this pic of a young chick with a pair of great tits and a nice pink pussy:
Spoiler:

not to mention a nice
Spoiler:

I'll show you my nice
Spoiler:
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Return to “General”