[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby Sungura » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:14 am UTC

My feet get tough skin on them because I like to go barefoot. I like my tough skin. I lotion every night though to keep it from being dry and cracking, that's not cool. But I don't want to make it go away, it protects my feetsies!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:18 am UTC

That's how I felt..until the large cracks came and it began to huuuurt.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:40 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:And the only problem with moisturizer->sock method is that my feet sweat A LOT, mostly because I'm on them all day, despite comfy shoes and cotton socks, to the point where I have signs of Immersion foot (which is like trench foot, without the cold injury).

May I recommend hiking socks? I like the SmartWool brand: they're pricy ($20/pair) and very unstylish, but they're incredibly comfortable if you're going to be on your feet all day, and they use a blend of materials that wicks sweat away from your feet.

A cheaper alternative is to wear two pairs of socks: a thin non-cotton inner sock to wick away the moisture, and a cotton outer sock to provide padding.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:51 am UTC

Ho hum. I forgot to wear any sort of absorbent protection today (I was running so late that I had to get dressed at the bus stop) and, after I got over the initial "Oh, frick, I hope it doesn't bleed all over my skirt," I, erm, kind of enjoyed the freedom and carelessness of it. Like I was affirming to myself that yes, I bleed every month, and that's okay. I wonder what happens in nudist communities.

Still, can anyone recommend a method for washing out the blood?

Also, +1 for the moisturising thing. I used to do that and had soft feet despite being barefoot most of the time, but I've slackened off now. Maybe some more Lush cream could persuade me to start again- it's so much easier for me to take care of my skin when it involves this much deliciousy goodness.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:42 am UTC

This is doing a very good job of reminding me to moisturize. I have recently procured some fantastic lotion that smells wonderful. I agree that deliciousness inspires me to take care of my skin more. And then I smell so nice.

And luna, your avatars just keep getting better. I spent about a minute giggling at this one. It is adorable. :D
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:49 am UTC

I moisturise all over every time I get out of the shower (which is generally twice a day, three times if I am going out after work, because I like to be clean and nice smelling and can't go to sleep with makeup on and hate trying to wash it off at the sink). I have to otherwise my skin gets too dry and sore, especially in winter. At the moment I'm really enjoying the Burts Bees Radience body lotion. It has mica in it, so it is slightly sparkly when you are out in the sun, but not obviously so, it's awesome and my skin is ridiculously soft.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

namaize

Postby namaize » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:28 am UTC

Things I need to use more of: lip balm/chapstick and moisturizer. I have them, just... keep forgetting to use them until I get all chapped/icky. Sigh. Keeping moisturizer by the shower is a good idea; maybe I'll give that a shot.

@luna: Cold water does wonders for bloodstains (it's also a hilarious tidbit to work into conversations with high school boys who think you're slightly insane), the colder the better. Obviously fresher blood is easier to wash out. Ice is also good (actually, good for many different stains). Or soaking in ice water, especially for older stains.

Also oh god the bunnies too cute. Of course I had to look up where they came from and now I just want to cuddle a pile of fluffy bunnykins. ::flails at cute::

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:41 am UTC

namaize wrote:@luna: Cold water does wonders for bloodstains (it's also a hilarious tidbit to work into conversations with high school boys who think you're slightly insane), the colder the better. Obviously fresher blood is easier to wash out. Ice is also good (actually, good for many different stains). Or soaking in ice water, especially for older stains.

What she said, and this little tidbit in case it didn't quite sink in: DO NOT use hot water. Seriously, no hot water. My mother tells me that hot water just sets the bloodstain, making it harder to remove.
Actually, I've always kinda trusted my mother on that one because it sounded plausible. I never bothered to check for myself... *googles* Whew. Yep. Hot water sets bloodstains.

Ooooh, feet. For some reason, I don't wind up with callouses, despite walking barefoot outside and doing other things to generally horribly abuse my feet (I think the record is something like nine blisters at once spread across both feet). I wouldn't want to shave whatever callouses I do wind up with, since that'd start the whole cycle of blisters again. Uhg.
On a related note, I do have an ingrown toenail. And it hurts like motherfuc-AAAUGH MY TOE. *sigh* I must see a doctor about that, really.
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:01 am UTC

I've heard (from a chiropadist) that heel balm containing urea is by far the best way to moisturize feet.

Getting blood out: I always soak in salty water, but I haven't actually performed a test with a control to see if it works any better than just cold water.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:02 am UTC

The cold water worked well, thank you! Most of the stain came out and it had been hours since the bleeding.

And I'm glad you posted that linky, Moo- I'd been thoroughly confused by an ice pack I'd been handed, the main component of which was urea. I'd never thought of it outside the context of urine.

(Thanks, Kells :D)
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:37 am UTC

I heard saliva gets blood out well too. Something about enzymes and that. I have no idea if it's actually true though...

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:37 am UTC

I am pretty sure it is the amylase in saliva.

(I love amylase, makes me feel all special like someone named a cool enzyme after me!)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:11 pm UTC

Amylase only break down starches. It is probably one of the hydrolases with the too complicated to remember names that break down proteins.

I bet enzyme pet stain remover or maybe even contact solution might work pretty well if it's dependent on the while enzyme thing. Both of these products have protein breakdown enzymes in 'em.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

contact lens solution has peroxide though, so it will bleach fabrics...

grapefruit1

Postby grapefruit1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

First of all - looky! I have an avatar now!

Second [actual Woman Thread topic] - I missed Shark Week this month. It was really weird, because while in the past i missed every other period, these last...three?...months it's been every 33 days, and I was kind of getting used to it being regular. The week before, I was sick the flu - you know, the one that just makes you want to curl up into a ball and sleep for the next month and a half? And the day I was supposed to get it, I was still coughing and congested and feeling like crap. So I'm not complaining - I'm grateful, in fact - but it seemed kind of coincidental. I was wondering, have you ladies ever had this happen to you? Where your body decides you've had enough torture for the month, let's not lay Shark Week on top of that?
"If someone asks you, 'Are you ticklish?', it doesn't matter whether you answer yes or no. They're going to touch you."
- Demetri Martin

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

For blood stains (both Shark Week related and not*), cold water is good if you don't know how old the stain is or if it looks like it's really set. A really long soak, usually with some laundry detergent in the bucket/bowl/whatever.
Hydrogen peroxide also works really well, it basically foams the blood off. And it's a little neater if say, you need to remove blood from something you're wearing. Little peroxide on the stain, put toilet paper underneath the peroxide, wait for it to foam, wipe off.
But what I've been doing lately, because it's so damn convenient, is bringing things into the shower with me and scrubbing at them with a little shampoo. Breaks the hot water rule, but works really well. Wet whatever it is, get some shampoo on the stain, and then rub, rinse and repeat if needed. I've had a lot of stubborn stains come out that way, and it seems to fade the washed & set-in ones, also.

*Lab gets messy sometimes, and if I'm sick I'll get nosebleeds in my sleep.

*Edit: Moo's a genius, and I can't type.
Last edited by semicharmed on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

semicharmed wrote:or if it looks like it's really sex.
Uhm... do I just not understand your meaning or were you suffering from Qwertial Aphasia?

Won't Hydrogen peroxide bleach the crap out of any coloured fabrics?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

grapefruit1 wrote: I was wondering, have you ladies ever had this happen to you? Where your body decides you've had enough torture for the month, let's not lay Shark Week on top of that?

Yeah, that's happened to me when I've been sick or really stressed out before. Though last time I was ill my body went into "get everything out of me" mode and as well as spending a week on the toilet puking into a bucket I got shark week 2 weeks early. *joy*.

back to blood stains, I wonder if pineapple and or kiwi fruit would work... I know it sounds odd, but both of them have some impressive proteases, they can strip your fingerprints off your fingers. That's why your hands can feel slimy after chopping a pineapple, it's not just the juice, it's also your dissolving skin. Nice. I guess only fresh would work though, since the heat from canning would probably destry the enzymes...

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

Moo wrote:
semicharmed wrote:or if it looks like it's really sex.
Uhm... do I just not understand your meaning or were you suffering from Qwertial Aphasia?

Won't Hydrogen peroxide bleach the crap out of any coloured fabrics?

Really bad Qwertial Aphasia.
As for the peroxide, it's sold here (U.S) as a 3% solution, and I've never had any problems with bleaching. And it used to be my go-to method, especially for bloodspots on sheets and other things I didn't necessarily want to soak.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

crowey wrote:
grapefruit1 wrote: back to blood stains, I wonder if pineapple and or kiwi fruit would work... I know it sounds odd, but both of them have some impressive proteases, they can strip your fingerprints off your fingers. That's why your hands can feel slimy after chopping a pineapple, it's not just the juice, it's also your dissolving skin. Nice. I guess only fresh would work though, since the heat from canning would probably destry the enzymes...
Hmm that is a good idea! Maybe papaya too? (And yeah, the heat from canning will change the structure hence deactivating the enyzmes...the enzyme papain which is in pineapple and papaya is great for GI blocks in rabbits because it helps get rid of the furry mass block.)

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

I have been very much a barefoot person, and always loved my thick soles. My spouse gets deep cracks in his feet, and the best thing we seem to be able to do to is to moisturize his feet (and keep them from swimming in wet shoes and socks all day). My favorite moisturizer is Eucerin and generic equivalents: when you're really dry, the grease just gets soaked right up and makes you feel so much better. Maybe I'll eventually switch to a non-petrolatum alternative, but I love how well Eucerin works.

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:
Hmm that is a good idea! Maybe papaya too? (And yeah, the heat from canning will change the structure hence deactivating the enyzmes...the enzyme papain which is in pineapple and papaya is great for GI blocks in rabbits because it helps get rid of the furry mass block.)[/quote]

The enzyme that is common to pineapple and papaya and kiwis is one I am allergic to and get horribly sick if I eat :( Which is sad cuz I love all three of those fruits, fresh.

I am fine having them cooked, but fresh it is terrible. Alas. I don't like them cooked anyway.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

obituary

Postby obituary » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

so, kinda gross, but i can attest that saliva does work for getting out blood stains. hydrogen peroxide is a good one to know, though!
hey. i like you. <3.

crickets

Postby crickets » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:49 pm UTC

Also, MSG works. Uhm. Not sure how likely it is you'll /have/ msg sitting in your kitchen cabinet, but my parents had a bottle from their spice set they received as a wedding gift, and yeah. It does work!

I have bled on a lot of things in my life... and eventually i just quit finding a way to get the stains out and start going "okay, these undies/sheets/towels/shirts/etc." are for times i know i'll be bleeding.

Yep. I'm just a lazy girl.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Nulono

Postby Nulono » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:11 pm UTC

A man's armpit funk makes your periods regular. Science proved it.

Not a woman.

kcr

Postby kcr » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

I'm sorry to interrupt the period/moisturizing talk but I have an emergency bathing suit question (and you all know how much stress bathing suits can cause). Do hipster cut bathing suit bottoms have less... coverage in the actual crotch area? Like the actual part of your body where your vagina is, not the butt or the front of the suit that is non-crotch. I ordered one online earlier today then was looking around the site some more and the bikini cut seemed to have a wider strip of fabric. But it could just be the pictures, or (more likely) it is the onset of bathing suit shopping panic. Thanks in advance and sorry again for the abrupt topic change!
Last edited by kcr on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:I have been very much a barefoot person, and always loved my thick soles. My spouse gets deep cracks in his feet, and the best thing we seem to be able to do to is to moisturize his feet (and keep them from swimming in wet shoes and socks all day). My favorite moisturizer is Eucerin and generic equivalents: when you're really dry, the grease just gets soaked right up and makes you feel so much better. Maybe I'll eventually switch to a non-petrolatum alternative, but I love how well Eucerin works.
On that note, straight petroleum jelly a la Vaseline can be pretty effective for dry and tough skin too. It doesn't get absorbed by the skin (or so the internet tells me), so it isn't moisturizing directly, but it does a great job at sealing in natural skin moisture that's already there. If you don't mind the sliminess.

namaize wrote:Keeping moisturizer by the shower is a good idea; maybe I'll give that a shot.
That's what I do. As an additional bonus, folk wisdom has it that applying lotion after a shower is one of the best times to do so--allows it moisturize more effectively and/or seals in the moisture obtained from the shower.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

crickets

Postby crickets » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Sidenote: I love how despite the fact that i'm a moisturizer fiend and constantly try to keep myself hydrated inside and out, Denby /still/ has softer skin than me. She also has nicer hair that stays clean longer than mine does. Curse her superior genes...

Also;
Does anyone know a good way to get rid of body acne? I bought myself a terribly low-cut dress for my birthday outfit, and i'm starting to become self-concious about my skin. Oddly enough, my face is really cleared up... my chest and back just /won't/. In addition, this is a dress i can't wear a bra with, and i need to get some strategic nipple-covering action, if anyone knows a good way to do that. And i'm probably going to need your help with accessories if i can ever get a picture of this dress, because apparently i am hopeless at dressing myself.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

For the nipple coverage you can get one of those backless stick on bras that mostly work. Or just go with pasties.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:46 pm UTC

For body acne (or facial acne) you might try to find a cleanser and a spot treatment that has benzoyl peroxide. My doctor told me that salicylic acid will just dry you out, which will prompt your body to make MOAR oil, which will exacerbate the problem, whereas benzoyl peroxide will actually treat the problem.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:26 am UTC

kcr wrote:I'm sorry to interrupt the period/moisturizing talk but I have an emergency bathing suit question (and you all know how much stress bathing suits can cause). Do hipster cut bathing suit bottoms have less... coverage in the actual crotch area? Like the actual part of your body where your vagina is, not the butt or the front of the suit that is non-crotch. I ordered one online earlier today then was looking around the site some more and the bikini cut seemed to have a wider strip of fabric. But it could just be the pictures, or (more likely) it is the onset of bathing suit shopping panic. Thanks in advance and sorry again for the abrupt topic change!

Hipster like this right? Going by my underwear, of which my favorite pairs are hipsters, there's the same if not more material in the actual crotch. The only bathing suits I've ever felt had inaquequate coverage were the boy shorts, like this, I always felt like I was in danger of flashing because the "shorts" would never stay down around my thighs and ride up, making the crotch fabric... loose, for lack of a better description. So I think it's probably just the pictures/bathing suit panic and not actually less fabric.
And oh, this thread is for abrupt topic changes, so don't worry.

@crickets: Bandaids actually work pretty well for nipple-hiding, although you kind of have to put them on with boobs in place in the dress, otherwise there's potential for weird pulling to happen. Although that just might be because mine aren't perky, at all. And never, never, ever try to take them off outside of the shower unless you enjoy lots of super-sensitive skin being ripped off. Although alcohol swabs will work in a pinch.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:24 am UTC

Dress photos.
Spoiler:

I bought them from a store called Delirium clothing, here in kitchener. The company that makes it is called Pinup Couture. They seem to have a lot of curvy clothing, and the model is quite curvy.

I'm so happy I found this dress. I mean, so rarely do I find clothes which fit me at Delirium. It's a punk/goth/industrial clothing store, and thus caters to the ultra thin. Most things are petite sized and don't fit me. But this dress looked so fantastic, I had to get it.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:52 am UTC

That dress is Awesome!
The blue trim and birdies are a perfect touch.
I like your necklace too.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:24 am UTC

That dress is gorgeous on you, Jessica!
I love love love the birds.

Crickets, one thing that's helpful with body acne is a good exfoliator - just a wet, slightly rough towel or some of those scrubbing gloves used in the shower tends to help a little, but you're probably already doing that.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:47 am UTC

Ooh, pretty dress!

natraj

Postby natraj » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:47 am UTC

Oh, wow, that really is lovely, Jessica! I love those birds too. So pretty.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:57 am UTC

Jessica, that looks gorgeous on you! Just like the model!

Crickets, I use the Neutrogena oil-free acne wash instead of plain soap when I'm showering. It seems to work well, at least for me.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:17 am UTC

The dress is fantastic and looks fantastic on you! Definitely a good look, and an excellent find.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:50 am UTC

Yay! Great dress! It would look fantastic with either black or blue shoes and some fine silver jewelry. I am glad you found a dress that fits, I sometimes have problems with that too, because I don't have enough curves. *sigh*
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:49 am UTC

I love that dress! It's fantastic!

@crickets, you can always try nipple pasties.

Return to “General”