[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

diotimajsh

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby diotimajsh » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:33 am UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:[awesomeness manifest in jpeg form]
That is all kinds of amazing.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:05 am UTC

diotimajsh wrote:

This. And nice touch on the multicoloured nails, too.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:57 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:
diotimajsh wrote:

This. And nice touch on the multicoloured nails, too.
Wow. That is totally awesomesauce, you pull off the look perfectly!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

la fée verte

Postby la fée verte » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

(Sorry, I know I'm a page or two late on the interviewwear discussion)

Me and a friend got talking about interview clothes a couple of days ago, and I kind of think it's as much a class issue as a gender one. I come from a family that survives mostly on benefits (welfare), and I'm at university trying to become a teacher. For me at least, the whole process of getting into university, and finding work placements etc. was made massively more complicated by needing to choose 'professional' interview clothes. Not only is assembling any kind of professional wardrobe really expensive, especially before you're in full-time employment, but the definition of 'professional' wear for women is so vague as to be completely useless. Coming from a family where neither parent has ever had a white-collar job, you have no-one to teach you all the unwritten rules about what to wear to an interview which my friends who went to private schools seemed to know instinctively. It seems very unfair to me that, in an interview situation where two candidates are otherwise equal, the one who could afford to buy a suit will almost inevitably get the job.

In fact, once you add in how much easier business dress is for men than women, or how 'professional' dress only includes western-style clothing (and not for example an Asian woman in sari or shalwar kameez, however smart), the whole thing just seems set up to privilege the 'right' kind of people who know how to dress over people from any other background.

/my 2p ;)
"We are all polylingual but some of us pretend that there is virtue in relying on not trying to understand." - Ani DiFranco

Cashew

Postby Cashew » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

And now for something kinda sorta different

I have a clothing related question, kinda...

So far this year, the summer hasn't been altogether too great, but we've been having some sunny days off and on-- unfortunately, this has meant about 5 sunburns in a row... so I'm starting to look like char. (and feel like char as well) I was interested in getting one of those surfer-style swim tops, which unfortunately, I havent seen in my size (22-24.) or, what looks functional for swimming. So, I've decided to pull out my sewing machine, and work on something.

My question kinda comes down to, just how is one of those shirt/swim tops supposed to fit? I have some thin-ish 4 way stretch fabric, so stretch isn't an issue at the moment. I'm a little concerned about how the sleeves are inset, for full freedom of movement.

Any ideas/advice, bounce it off me :)

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

@Cashew: I have a swim top like you're trying to make, and it fits closely. Not tight, but not loose. The sleeves are raglan construction, which seems to work pretty well.

I also have something kinda sorta different:
Right now is the first non-BC Shark Week I've had in ages. I've had no migraine or other killer headache, no cramps to date, and best of all, no suicidal impulses. I do not ever want to go back on BC. I think I might have to, because I'm told I have ovarian cysts and apparently the only way that doctors will treat cysts in me is BC. I'm not entirely sure that I'd let myself live through another few months of BC. I don't fully understand what I was thinking at the time, but I'm not sure I want to risk my life like that, you know? The doctors have also told me that leaving cysts untreated can lead to another torsed ovary. If that happens, I won't die from it, but I will get the opportunity to scream for my ovaries to be removed. That's better than BC-caused suicide. My dad says I'm "stupid" to want my ovaries out, because I have a "biological clock" that will eventually make me want children. I can't understand why children I do not have are justification for the possibility of a torsed ovary or suicide. There has to be other ways to treat cysts, right?

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

Well, I'm glad you're not feeling like killing yourself (is there any way to say that, and not sound weird?).
I wonder if different types of BC would be less suicide-inducing but also treat your ovaries? Don't know if it's worth the risk of trying though...
I think if I was in your position I'd want 'em whipped out too. Though I guess you'd have to be on HRT forever afterwards, which given your reaction to BC, might be shitty.
If it came to having your ovaries taken out, could the Drs harvest eggs so that you or a surrogate could have your biological babies later on if you wanted?
You're still quite young right (I have a feeling you're in your teens? sorry if I'm wrong!) Is there a chance the torsion/cystyness might get better as you get older?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

After doing a little research, it seems like surgery and BC are the only two treatments for ovarian cysts. Which sucks a lot, I'm sorry. I have to say, I kind of agree with you dad that you really shouldn't want your ovaries gone, although your "biological clock" ad wanting children someday has nothing to do with it. Your ovaries are responsible for producing the hormones that keep you young, basically. After they stop producing those hormones in the same quantity (menopause), you age much faster, and develop conditions like osteoporosis and heart disease. Removing your ovaries at this age would basically send you into early menopause, and your doctor(s) would have to put you on hormone-replacement therapy indefinitely, which would come with its own set of problems, including a fairly significant increased risk of breast cancer.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

crowey wrote:Well, I'm glad you're not feeling like killing yourself (is there any way to say that, and not sound weird?).
"I'm glad you're not feeling suicidal"

@la fée verte: I totally agree. When presenting as male, my family wasn't very white collar. I mean, my parents did well for themselves, but none of them really had to wear clothes to interviews or the like. It took me a while to figure out what to wear, and it really took me walking into a Tip-Top and saying "Dress me appropriately for an interview" when I was like 22 to actually get good interview clothes. After transitioning, I haven't been able to find anything that's obviously interview appropriate. I have some sweaters which are nice, a few pairs of pants which work, some oversized blouses... nothing that stands out as "this is what I wear to an interview". I have business casual clothes (For me, that's like a nice shirt or polo shirt and non-jeans) but if I went to an interview in this, people would probably think I "didn't care about myself". I really do care, quite a bit. I just don't know what you want me to wear. I understand don't show clevage, or bra straps, but what's the role of shoes, should I wear socks or stockings, should I wear a skirt, pants, or a dress, what sort of shirt should I wear, is makeup or jewlery necessary... all of these are questions that I really don't know the answer to. Being a guy is so much easier. Wear a suit. Pick one off the rack and pay the exorbitant price for it. If you don't have money then... tough luck.

So yeah. Privilege out the ying yang. Unless I excell at something, or I'm the only one who interviews, I probably won't get a job as they'll like the cis straight guy more than the trans gay woman. Sigh. Hate.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

abitha

Postby abitha » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Isotope - was there a particular reason for the torsion in the first place? I'm guessing your ovary was perhaps enlarged for some reason (eg. PCOS or a cyst), since this is a common reason for them to twist, although it can happen in non-enlarged ovaries as well. Apparently (according to eMedicine) it's quite rare for it to recur unless the ovary is enlarged.

If they are enlarged, is it on both sides, or just one? If the latter, it might be possible to have just that one ovary removed, and you'd still have the remaining one so you'd still be fertile and you wouldn't need HRT.

The other thing is that the ovary can be surgically fixed to the abdominal wall (oophoropexy) so that it can't twist again. eMedicine says that it's not always done if the ovary is normal sized, as it's unlikely to twist again anyway, but i'm a bit surprised they didn't do it in the first place if yours are enlarged.

Incidentally, regarding HRT risks - the risks are not increased above that of the normal population for women of pre-menopausal age who have to take HRT because of ovarian failure/removal. The increased risk is for postmenopausal women who take it. It's the lifetime exposure to oestrogen that's relevant, not the fact that it's synthetic rather than your own natural oestrogen. But i agree that having your ovaries removed should probably be a last resort rather than the initial course of action.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:06 pm UTC

On nails:
I always thought that deeply curved front nail beds were from sticking stuff under the edges of my nails. This is because I notice that the shape of the end of my nail bed changes due to circumstances. The outside edge of both of my thumb nails goes very deep, and I always thought that was because I do stuff with the side of my thumb (like press the space bar on a keyboard). When I've got a deep corner that I want to grow out, I try to clean it mostly by soaking the dirt out, with sparing use of a nail brush and even more sparing use of a pointed metal nail board. It's much easier to clean one's nails after one has taken a bath or otherwise soaked ones finger's or nails, and I think less likely to push the nail bed back.

On interview clothes:
I think you all are absolutely correct that they are a proxy for the "right kind" of people, which means people raised with a specific set of clothing expectations. It gets even stickier with women's clothes, because women are expected to be sexually attractive, but not too sexy. Apparently this idea of the innocent sexy, the sexy you can't have, the sexy that is contrasted to the sexy of a "loose" woman was a 20th century invention, at least in the US. I curse this invention, hope we lose the distinction between wholesome sexy and unwholesome sexy and hope that women stop being expected to look young and innocent and wholesome sexy as a part of "professional". What the @*#! does any of that have to do with being professional? Some people say that women's professional clothes shouldn't ape men's professional clothes, but slacks and a collared shirt are my very best friends. I'm happy to have a collared shirt cut to fit breasts, but otherwise I don't see any reason for a difference between men's and women's professional shirts. I have no interest in "blouses" at all. Strappy tank tops for hot days and other unprofessional things, sure, but no "blouse" without a collar. Future casual interviews I'm planning on going to in just a collared shirt, slacks, and nice (male-style) flat shoes, fancy interviews get a suit jacket.

Isotope: I am completely ignorant on ovarian cysts, but you've got all the sympathy and good wishes I can send you!

On easy to move arms in clothing made by hand: I think that having and extra triangle of fabric under the arm (a gusset) is the best way to make it easy to lift your arm, but I don't have a specific pattern. There are many ways to make gussets, many of which can be found online.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

abitha wrote:The other thing is that the ovary can be surgically fixed to the abdominal wall (oophoropexy) so that it can't twist again. eMedicine says that it's not always done if the ovary is normal sized, as it's unlikely to twist again anyway, but i'm a bit surprised they didn't do it in the first place if yours are enlarged.

Incidentally, regarding HRT risks - the risks are not increased above that of the normal population for women of pre-menopausal age who have to take HRT because of ovarian failure/removal. The increased risk is for postmenopausal women who take it. It's the lifetime exposure to oestrogen that's relevant, not the fact that it's synthetic rather than your own natural oestrogen. But i agree that having your ovaries removed should probably be a last resort rather than the initial course of action.

I stand corrected, then! I'd never heard of ovaries being surgically fixed to the abdominal wall, that's pretty cool, actually. I still think, that even if HRT doesn't increase the risks for pre-menopausal women, that it's not a good thing to do if you don't have to. Partially because I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Isotope lives in the U.S., and HRT is probably very expensive without insurance. HRT is something that you'd need for the longterm, and a lot of people lose their medical insurance upon graduating from college, switching jobs, etc.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

abitha

Postby abitha » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I stand corrected, then! I'd never heard of ovaries being surgically fixed to the abdominal wall, that's pretty cool, actually. I still think, that even if HRT doesn't increase the risks for pre-menopausal women, that it's not a good thing to do if you don't have to. Partially because I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Isotope lives in the U.S., and HRT is probably very expensive without insurance. HRT is something that you'd need for the longterm, and a lot of people lose their medical insurance upon graduating from college, switching jobs, etc.

Indeed - as someone who has always had the NHS to rely upon, it hadn't occurred to me to consider cost as a factor! But this is a very good point. Also, as someone else pointed out, there's the possibility of side effects - these are likely to be less of a problem than with BC because the doses used in HRT are lower, but they are still a possibility.

(And i've just re-read Isotope's post, and seen that she already mentioned she had a cyst - that's the second time in two days that i've asked a question that had already been answered in someone's original post, need to try and read things more carefully!)

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

@crowey: Thanks, I'm pretty glad I don't feel like killing myself, too. I'm sixteen, and I don't know if my reproductive system will be nicer as I get older.
@PictureSarah: That's a far better explanation than several doctors could come up with. I think I'll just risk the torsion, because that is nowhere near as life-threatening as BC was. I might be able to do HRT, but I'm not sure I want to risk another round of hormones that aren't physically produced by my body.
@abitha: I think I was born with a partially torsed ovary, because I had unexplainable stomach pain quite often prior to having surgery, and none afterwards. I'm pretty sure both of my ovaries are abnormally large, but the right one is the only one to have twisted. The surgeon decided against stitching it in place; I don't know all the reasoning behind that.

In conclusion, I love the Woman Thread and everyone in it.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:34 am UTC

I'm kind of scared for Shark Week tomorrow. I've been uncontrolably emotional, sick, and last time I 'passed' a large piece of tissue. I have a feeling it'll happen again. :?
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

crickets

Postby crickets » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:37 am UTC

Whee! I went shopping after work today and bought a new summer jacket, a really cute shirt (with paisleys and elephants on it), and a pair of shoes! And the nice lady at the store i frequent gave me an adorable purse. Then i got to go to lush. I just thought i'd share that with you all, and maybe post pictures later.

Really, i'm just trying to distract myself because Denby's out of town and i'm loooooonely. But i have bath stuff! And new clothes! Yay me!
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

zug

Postby zug » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:11 am UTC

teehee that is too awesome

The nail polish is seriously the best part.
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:18 am UTC

*hugs for Cytoplasm*

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:55 am UTC

A question for anyone who'se been on anitdepressants:
Has any of the girls had SSRI's affect their monthly cycle? I've been on the pill and regular as clockwork for twelve years. Two weeks ago I had a shark week despite it not being placebo week, and I seem to have just started another one (and the placebos are still a week away!) O_O
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:21 am UTC

I've noticed that, actually. But I was on them for the crazy stressful things happening around me, so I'm not sure I could put it down to the medication.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

Sorry I can't really help with that, but I'll echo the part that luna said - Stress might be a factor...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:21 pm UTC

I'm feeling better than I have done in months :) but thanks Jessica for taking an interest. I feel much, much better for the meds. I don't know if I'm better enough to trade it for 2-3 periods a month though!
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:34 pm UTC

No problem.

Speak to your doctor? Sounds like something that would be on the list of side-effects.

either way *hugs* I'm glad the drugs are helping! they seem to really be helping me (other than this horrible sweating problem... which may not be as bad as I thought...)

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:*hugs for Cytoplasm*

*hugs* Thank you.

@Moo- Being off the SSRI's have made things worse, or so it seems. I haven't been on the pill long and all the rest to really state much though. SSRI, or whatever I was taking seemed to balance things out better.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:09 am UTC

Moo: you can look up side effects and medication interactions on webmd.com. You can type in the specific medication name to get the specific side effects (I don't think they list side effects for classes of medications). I have been on both the pill and antidepressants for 3, going on 4 years now. The only times I've experienced spotting/period when it wasn't supposed to happen is when I've messed up and forgotten my meds. If you can't find anything about interactions or side effects, ad even if you can, talk to a healthcare professional or even your pharmacist about it. They can give you more information or suggestions about different medications to try or even timing or food for taking your medication.

Hope that helps.

and as Cytoplasm has noticed, I am alive. :D
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

crickets

Postby crickets » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:38 am UTC

I was on Zoloft (sertraline) and Alesse at the same time, and there wasn't any problems with period-related stuff. I got all weird and couldn't eat for a week or two, but that seems to be a thing with me and birth control.

I can't really remember if there were any other side effects, as this was a couple years ago. I remember being foggy and weird and super mellow. Which was probably bad given the reasons why i was on birth control. Fun times!!

I swear i had a point, i really did. But i just spent an hour or so cleaning with lots of bleach, so my head is full of delicious fumes.

Cashew

Postby Cashew » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Reverting back to interview clothes...

Way back when, I was taught that one should dress 'one station above' for an interview-- ie: dress like the person who's doing the interviewing.

I think on my last interview, I wore pinstriped slacks, button down shirt and a sweater-vest... I'm a nurse, I wear scrubs for a living..
My brother wore chinos and a nice polo shirt for an interview for an apprentice position at a mechanics.

So, I s'pose there is no real set uniform for interview...I can imagine it could be rather confusing to a newbie to the job market.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:07 pm UTC

Maybe a good plan would be to follow the advice offered to the entire 6th form when I first started (as we were no longer required to wear school uniform), namely "If you can see down it, through it or up it, don't wear it."
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

crickets

Postby crickets » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

So, i just attempted to use Nad's sugaring gel for the first time. My legs are now (mostly) super smooth, but i've run into a problem where they only give you five strips... and i've already used four of them. I'm fairly certain they're not re-usable in the wash-and-reuse sense, so i was wondering if anyone out there had any tips for finding re-usable waxing strips.

Now all i'm hoping is that the red spots go away. Stupid red spots.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:11 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Maybe a good plan would be to follow the advice offered to the entire 6th form when I first started (as we were no longer required to wear school uniform), namely "If you can see down it, through it or up it, don't wear it."

I like this advice.

I feel like pondering for a little while.
Spoiler:
In the absence of BC, I can't really predict my periods. I feel so free. I haven't had cramps, migraines, serious mood swings, or anything. I'm so much more emotionally stable and happy. While I was on BC, each period made me want to scream in fury. I hated how I had no control over what was happening to me. I've never been any sort of Luddite (for lack of a better word), but I feel so much better when my body, not artificial hormones, dictates my mentrual cycle. I am quite willing to risk another episode of ovarian torsion for this. If it happens again, I'll know what it is and I won't need to spend the whole night in agony while several roomfuls of medical professionals wonder what the hell is wrong. I'll just go straight to surgery.

Related question: Is it true that self-exploration is easier during Shark Week?

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:54 am UTC

I found Plasma Man's advice to be useless. It's relevant advice for school, but for interviews, there is a huge amount of clothes that fit that advice that are completely inappropriate. The real issue is that interview clothes are a way to say "I'm one of you, I follow the hidden rules, I share basic founding experiences and outlook with you." Pretending that's all about some simple "appropriateness" that anyone with a smidgen of sense or a cute phrase can easily follow is simply inaccurate and condescending. Also, all skirts can be seen up, so that advice knocks out all skirts, and that's really not true in the real world.

I think that self-exploration, if you mean your own fingers in your vagina, is easier when you are relaxed and happy about it. If you don't like getting blood on your hands, it would be harder during menstruation, because you'd be tense and unhappy about it. If you're specifically trying to feel your cervix, though, because your cervix is low and hard during menstruation, that would be a very good time to feel for your cervix. If you are having trouble with sticking fingers in your vagina, try lube.

On leg hair: does anyone know a safe and cheap way to lighten leg hair? I've decided that I really, really like to be able to feel the breeze with my hairs on my legs (and I like how my legs need much less moisturizing when I'm not shaving), so I want to keep my leg hairs. I often wear long pants, and there only a few situations (like interviews!) were leg hair would be really problematic, so it's not a big deal. But my arm hair is bleached mostly blond from the sun (it starts out a lot lighter), and I've been wondering if I can to anything easy to make my leg hair get lighter.

zug

Postby zug » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:57 am UTC

Man, it is so funny you post that about leg hair, I was recently thinking the same thing! I always wear long pants at work, and even though it's mid summer, I haven't shaved for approximately a year now. I would shave if I was in a long term relationship with someone who wanted me to (same with my bits), but I have no reason to now, since nobody but me ever sees my legs.

I do enjoy the breezy feeling on the fur, and spending less time in the shower every day. I just wish it wasn't seen as so nasty to go hairy there :(
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:03 am UTC

Just yesterday I was nattering on about how I'm happy to be a "hippy", and I'm proud of not shaving my legs, but the fact that people complain about "hairy legged hippies" makes me cringe and want to shave. I should be proud of my hairy legged hippie status! But it's so hard, because it's soooo socially unacceptable.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:05 am UTC

Hairy-leggers unite!

Actually, I just shaved over the past week (took several days' worth of 5-to-10-minute sessions). I plan to get waxed in two weeks, since I'm going away for a week after that and don't want to be stressed about accidentally revealing ape-legs during the hot days. (Not gonna get the pits waxed this time, though. That shit hurts. I'll shave.) Prior to this deforesting, it had probably been a year. God, I love living alone. :mrgreen:

I've occasionally seen women in public with dark-haired legs au naturel. One was a cute young thing that was dressed kinda hipster. I thought "hey, that doesn't look too bad." The other was a middle-aged woman, maybe a little older than me, dressed a bit sloppy (sort of like me some days). I thought "uh, I guess that won't look so good on me." :|

Damn our double standards to hell. Actually, men have been getting the anti-hair adverts for a while now, too. (All this hairlessness business apparently started in the 20th century, mostly as a result of advertising from razor companies. Argh.)

Edit for the bleach thing: I like the idea of bleaching. Do try it and let us know how it goes! I don't think I've seen bleach intended for legs, though. It's usually meant for face or bikini line, so products don't plan for you to make a large batch of bleach at once. You could probably use any of the ones intended for the face, but you might end up using the entire package, or a few, to cover both whole legs. (All bleaches require mixing two products together to "activate" the bleach. The mixture will lose potency after 20 or 30 minutes, usually.)
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:07 am UTC

I get lazy and don't shave sometimes. Other times I can't stand any body hair what-so-ever and shave everything but my head. Soon I'll have my own little wax machine and everything will be smooth and hair free whenever I want it to be with no razor burn. Huzzah! If you can stand to not shave anything ever, that's awesome. I just get itchy =(

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

zug

Postby zug » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:10 am UTC

Well the itchy goes away once it gets of a decent length and is anywhere that isn't a crevice, I've found. The only time leg hair annoys me is when it picks up fuzzies or long head-hairs among its furry tentacles.

mayhaps

Postby mayhaps » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:40 am UTC

Hm... where does one aquire such personal wax machines? That sounds handy and a better alternative than shaving constantly graaaaaaaah.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

Heh, I'd have trouble if I decided to go back to being a hairy-legged hippy as I was in my teen years, because all that waxing has left me with bald patches on my legs :lol: Kind of a pity, because now it just looks weird if I have hair there at all.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:09 am UTC

The "hairy-legged hippy" description disturbs me to the point of not even being able to make jokes about it.

Recently I came across this: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/03/pep ... e_iron.php
(Basically, Marvel superhero Tony Stark/Iron Man, who flies around in a super suit that gives him his abilities, has made a similar suit for his personal assistant, Pepper Potts.)

Down in the comments, someone makes this comment:
Regardless of how long the "Iron Potts" story arc lasts, all's I'm asking for is an action figure of this so I can give one to my 8-year-old daughter for the sake of reinforcing a positive spin of gender identity.

The oh-so-witty and clever response?
And if your daughter developed signs of hirsutism, would you spin that as a positive reinforcement of gender identity as well?

Yeah, so this is considered the last word in a debate. Counter all of her points by accusing her of being hairy. This will be so devastating, she'll break down in tears and promise to forevermore give up this feminism business and always shave so men may stare with pleasure at her legs.

I don't get it. Why do people think that women are so afraid of breaking out of current artificial "feminine" standards, aka shaving, it's actually a valid argument to accuse her of doing so instead of addressing her actual argument.

I'm not saying that shaving is bad. I like smooth skin myself, and I shave my armpits. But I really wish men would shave their armpits too, for the same reasons I shave mine. What I'm saying is, why the fuck is natural hairiness somehow an indictment on her intelligence and temperament?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:19 am UTC

Why did I read the comments on that page? There goes a week's worth of sanity points.

Agree all the way. Cover up the mouth and the whole thing becomes much improved.

Just like a real woman, I guess.

*headdesk*
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Return to “General”