[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ivora

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.net

Postby Ivora » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:58 am UTC

Well all right then. 8)

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:20 am UTC

I don't have you on facebook Jessica - but would also love to see some pics if, and when, you'd like to share them.

The following is spoilered cause I've had Gin, red wine, and pot and I'm rather intoxicated. It should be in the drnuk thread but it's not. Instead it's a long ramble that I'll probably regret writing in the morning :D Holy crud my flatmates are a bad influence, it's a Tuesday. But one of our awesome flatmates is leaving, and a new guy from Penn state uni who seems pretty awesome has just arrived, so yeh, I'm allowed to party a little... right?
Spoiler:
GraphiteGirl wrote:Spacemilk, your breakup sounds very similar to the one with my last ex

I wish my ex and I had been able to maintain some form of friendship :-/
But since he got a new girl (I think that's when it started, anyways) he's been a wall of silence - my asking how he was doing was an irritation, and then he decided just to be a complete wall of silence. Even accepted my facebook friend request without saying anything, despite my saying that I hoped things were going well etc etc (insert another 2 sentences of non-clingy hope you're well). I've been cat/house-sitting for his parents and the like too, and am doing so when they're away for him to move overseas for his PhD (at least I'm guessing that's why they need me to cat-sit for them) - but a deliberate silence from him remains. I know I was probably a little immature and called him a jerk several times at the time of the break-up, despite the fact that deep down I wanted it too, because I felt pretty annoyed at the way he'd gone about things: "Well, I like this girl, but, hang on, she's not interested - 'I love you and wanna be with you and can see us having a future together' - wait, there's another girl, I'll just say I'm 'tired' when you wanna talk about our relationship and lets see how my date I've arranged with her goes before I break up with you..." Meh, writing it like that I'm not sure why I'd have liked to maintain a 'friendship' with him anyway, but I guess we're pretty good at seeing the best in people, or perhaps creating an imaginary person that isn't really there. It IS pretty sweet how many new people I'm meeting and how much more time I've got, and how much room I've got to change into the person I want to become instead of being that stuck-in-a-rut person I was, and what I can do with my free time, and that unlike my friend who's in a long term relationship I don't have to compromise at all about the here-and-now OR the future or anything. It's not that I'm not over him (yes this was 6 months ago) it's the disappointment that someone I had thought/(imagined) so much of not only doesn't consider me a friend, but can't even manage a 'hi, yeh things are going OK'. Meh.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:11 pm UTC

From the face thread
Me. With new hair. And other.
Spoiler:
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

:D Jess you are so pretty!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

What I want to do is regress back to about 7 and say something like, 'Hehehe Jess has boobies'
I'm not going to do that...
Instead I'm going to tell Jess that she looks pretty, because she does.

Jess, you look so pretty =D
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

abitha

Postby abitha » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

Squeee - Jess has boobies!!

And now for something...completely different:

Spoiler:
I found out today that the urinary catheters we use in hospital come in two different lengths: "standard" and "female". I thought this was a fantastic example of the othering of women, although nobody else seemed to even notice it! (In fairness to whoever decided to label them that way, men do need catheters more often than women do, and also it's sometimes appropriate to use a standard catheter in a woman so you've got more length available if you want to tape the collecting bag to the thigh etc... but even so, 'long' and 'short', or just labelling them in centimeters, would do perfectly well.)

And now we return to your regular scheduled programming.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:48 am UTC

WOOO. Not even going to bother spoiling it because you will all read it anyway =P So, I have the cup. I decided to try to do a dry run because while I'm not squeemish of bloodyness, I thought it would be nicer to mess around without additional mess. I tried about 5 times and completely failed (7-fold, origami, c-fold) I just could NOT get it in, it kept poping open before I even really got it in at all. Luckily since I still had a grip it didn't pop and hurt at all, but nonetheless I was getting frustrated so I decided to just stop and read more about insertion technique as it dawned on me I had looked at the folds, but not if there are any techniques for inserting it (my main issue was my thumb was giving out on me and letting the fold slip before it was in.) So I found what worked for me...which ended up being kinda opposite as suggested and it worked 2nd try. It even popped open and suctioned correctly (although I noticed the top stayed more oval in shape and not round, maybe just how I am, but it was open and suctioned, and yes, I managed to get a finger up to check it, once in there is more space up there than at the entrance, I realized). So, in and suctioned and opened.

Good. Now...shit I have to get it /out/. Crap. It took about 10 seconds playing around (I can't get two fingers up, but I could one) to break the seal, and twirling hurt, so I gave that up. Decided the push on it technique. Pushed and was able to slide it out using thumb to also grasp on the bottom to help. Then it hit...OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I totally have an intact hymen which is what kills if I jiggle/push on it wrong. Needed a new strategy. Figured out to go under, and push it up towards my pubic bone and use that as a hard surface to counter my finger to break the seal, and then slide it out, and pushing it up I could kinda c-fold it to get it out and avoid my hymen for the mostpart so there was slight discomfort for pulling out but no pain.

So...tl;dr happy next period! (which is good as I will likely be at a karate event for the weekend when it hits)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:29 pm UTC

Congratulations on the successful dry run, Sungura! I cannot remember ever having a hymen, so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to dealing with one, but you sound like you're doing a great job of working around it. I strongly suspect that gently stretching your hymen from the outside (not the painful pushing-cup-or-tampon-out) will, in time, open it up and make getting cups and tampons out a much less delicate maneuver. Good Luck!

meridian

Postby meridian » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

Just a quick 'RAR.'

The one thing I liked about the holidays and the random shuffle of delivery/pick-up individuals from courier services (FedEx/UPS/et al) was the fact that I didn't have the pretty-much-misogynistic delivery guy every single day. Well, he's back. grrrrr.

I'm intensely curious how this individual would treat a male receptionist. Would he pepper the conversation with quaint false endearments? Would he play up an entirely misleading sense of familiarity (when he can't for the life of him remember how to spell a 5 letter surname every single time he comes in here, 5 days a week)? -- But most aggravating of all, would he walk all over anything the receptionist was saying, gruffly trying to depart as /fast/ as possible and be demanding that the door be buzzed unlocked before he approached it so he doesn't have to break his pace and isn't that all that what I'm here to do and what they pay me for: to listen for his approach in the elevator lobby (where he starts raising his voice to address me), buzz him before he gets a chance to ring the doorbell and anticipate his departure so that his life is not too inconvenienced by this company's need for security?

*coughs* Sorry. I have a tendency to run-on when frustrated.

There's just something about this individual's attitude that rubs me the wrong way, like he believes the security is just to protect the women-folk and has nothing to do with government sensitive research. I could be wrong. He could be a jerk to everyone. It's just the feminist in me does not like being the recipient of a male's frustration when things aren't going how he thinks they should go. Then again, in this position, I see on average 3-5 couriers a day and this is the only one that aggravates me.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

lily

Postby lily » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

Hi, Woman Thread. I apologize for posting on this account like a shady lurker; using my name-linked profile would feel too public. I think I just need to vent anonymously and ask for people to tell me not to worry too much.

I just got a call from my doctor saying that I tested positive for HPV in a routine test, and despite the facts and figures I'm pretty stressed out about it, and a bit pissed off at the universe.

It's most likely that I got it from my current boyfriend, as I tested negative a few months ago immediately before we began having sex, and my only previous partner was my ex, whom I dated for over a year but only slept with a handful of times right before we broke up last spring (pre-planned; he was moving and we knew we were going to end it). But the incubation period is variable, so while I can crunch the numbers and determine the probabilities, it's impossible to know for certain. My doctor thinks that it's probably a result of the new relationship.

So I'll have to bring this up with the current guy. I don't want to come off as accusatory. I have no reason to be angry with him unless it transpires that he might have had reason to know he was a carrier and didn't mention it to me. And since there's no male HPV test, I suppose that would only be the case if an ex of his had tested positive. But in any case, he should know he's most likely a carrier (if not before me, than by this point).

I'm just kinda annoyed at fate. I'm thankful that it's nothing more frightening and also that it isn't likely to have any visible manifestations. But I've always been very, very careful about intercourse in general -- always used condoms, never forgotten birth control pills, blah blah blah -- and now I get hit by one of the things nothing short of abstinence could prevent. Research says that the immune system often fights off the virus, which would mean that at some point I could be free of it again and not remain terrified about the increased cancer risk. But my immune system has been disappointing me enough as it is. I've seen too much cancer in my family not to be scared.

And I'm also pissed off at the American health insurance system, which prevented me from getting the second and third Gardasil shots after I realized they weren't covered and I couldn't afford them. But oh wait! They *are* covered 100% in my state, as of three weeks ago. But now it's too late.

So... there you have it. Sorry for the long rant.

abitha

Postby abitha » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

Hi lily - sorry to hear about that.

Did your doctor tell you which type of HPV it was? There are hundreds of different strains - Gardasil only protects against four of them (the four most important ones - the two that most increase the cervical cancer risk [16 and 18], and the two that cause most genital warts [6 and 11]). If it wasn't 16 or 18, you probably don't need to worry that much. In fact, even if it was, the risk is still very small - it's more the case that "cervical cancer is a rare complication of HPV infection" than "HPV causes cervical cancer". I know that doesn't necessarily help, but it's a slightly different way of thinking about it.

In any case, keep getting your smears done regularly, that's the most important thing you can do to protect yourself - more important that Gardasil even. Regarding the vaccine - ask your doctor whether it's worth you still having it anyway. If you're only infected with one strain, it would probably still make sense to protect yourself against the other three that you're not infected with (although i don't know if insurance will cover it in that circumstance).

I hope that helps a bit, at least with the medical side? Can't think of anything helpful to say regarding telling the boy - hope you manage to find a tactful way to do it!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:10 am UTC

My heart goes out to you lily. That's just not fair.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

lily

Postby lily » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 am UTC

Thanks, abitha! That does help. I didn't get a straight answer from the doctor as to the strain, but I'll get to look at the lab results tomorrow. She basically called and said, "Hey, so all your blood tests and everything look great and everything is normal and by the way your HPV test came back positive but no worries." I had to prod her for five minutes to get her to give me any more information; she has a paternalistic ("condescending" doesn't quite describe it) approach that's very much "I'm the doctor, so don't worry your pretty little head." I was already planning on switching doctors, and now I'm determined to. I'm pretty well versed in the science of HPV and know that the risks of cancer developing are small, even if it is one of the nastier strains... but her evasion really irked me in those first minutes and compounded the fears. (To top off her spectacular beside manner, she called me by completely the wrong name at one point in the conversation.) Thank you for confirming the saner voices in my head! I'll try to keep things in perspective.

I think you're right about still getting vaccinated -- assuming it's still possible, it would bring a lot of peace of mind to be protected against the other strains. I did ask about it at the time, and she agreed to ask a nurse if I'm still a candidate. She herself didn't seem to know much about it -- including that it is now recommended and covered by insurance up to age 26 (*not* 15, as she kept saying!). She also said that she thinks the vaccine is a total waste of money.

And thank you, Jessica! I'm somewhat less upset now, but still trying to figure out how to tell the boy. He's smart and reasonable, so it should be okay. I just don't want him to get unduly freaked out.

lily

Postby lily » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:25 am UTC

Just got off the phone with the doc again. The results only say it was one or more of the 13 high-risk strains. :(

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:53 am UTC

WT F/RT: i cannot be the only one who will not take a shower for several hours just because she put a new tampon in and doesn't want to waste it
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

I shower with a tampon still in. I discovered this makes things less blood-drippy. And it doesn't ruin a tampon to shower, at least not for me. It's sitting up there and kinda closed around so water doesn't really get in.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Spoiler for general Shark Week whinging...

Spoiler:
I was too distracted by dealing with large amounts of blood while having a nightmare day with trains anyway last month to particularly notice Shark Week lasted for 7 days instead of the 5 I've been used to...so was rather surprised today that it's not finished yet until I checked the record for last month. This month hasn't been as bad, though the fact I've gone back to the mooncup probably helps quite a bit...but I was having to empty it every 1-2 hours on the heaviest day. Not great amounts of fun. It was less painful than last month for sure though...had one day where I took ibuprofen, but it was more as a precaution (first day back at lectures and didn't really need any distraction) than an absolute need, so that's something. Maybe it'll tone down again a bit next month, but don't think I can count on any change past then...so will have to see.

Also need to get around to making the appointment to get my IUD checked, since I really should have done it at the end of last term...

There were definite advantages to the pill, but it did definitely mess with my mood. Next Shark Week is predicted to come right after my boyfriend gets here/right before Valentine's Day, which I'm *not* massively impressed with, especially given that it's going to be the only time I see him this term, probably...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:WT F/RT: i cannot be the only one who will not take a shower for several hours just because she put a new tampon in and doesn't want to waste it

You're not alone.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:02 pm UTC

What does showering have to do with tampons? I put in a new tampon, shower, and leave the tampon in just as long as I usually would... Am I doing it wrong? lol

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:What does showering have to do with tampons? I put in a new tampon, shower, and leave the tampon in just as long as I usually would... Am I doing it wrong? lol

Yeah I do this too. If I don't, there's a chance I'll get blood on the towel, if it's at the beginning of shark week and I'm bleeding quite heavily. Keeping a tampon in is the only way to make sure I'm clean and blood-free at the end of the shower.
milk from space is good for you!

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:11 pm UTC

I don't use tampons anymore, but I think I get the sentiment.

When you shower you can get all clean with no tampon and put a new one in after.
Rice Puddin.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

I sometimes rinse/douche with water in the shower to help get clots and such out. I also use reusable blood catching stuffs. Sometimes I will wear my sponge into the shower and rinse it in there.

Oh shark week. How did you know to come when I have no idea where my Keeper (cup) is?
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:
Ashlah wrote:What does showering have to do with tampons? I put in a new tampon, shower, and leave the tampon in just as long as I usually would... Am I doing it wrong? lol

Yeah I do this too. If I don't, there's a chance I'll get blood on the towel, if it's at the beginning of shark week and I'm bleeding quite heavily. Keeping a tampon in is the only way to make sure I'm clean and blood-free at the end of the shower.

I don't know about anyone else, but for me tampons in the shower tend to get soggy, and kinda gross and less absorbent. Plus, if there's blood low in the thing, I'll spot afterward anyways.
sophyturtle wrote:I sometimes rinse/douche with water in the shower

Kinda unrelated, but a while ago, I was at Zephora (or however the make-up-etc. place at the mall is called) and there was a bottle on display labled "Gel Douche", which just sounded all kinds of bad.
But a moment later it occurred to me
Spoiler:
it's probably in French, and shower gel

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

Almost related shark week fleeting thought (spoiler'd just in case):
Spoiler:
The blood in my glad rag looks like a sea horse. Not 3D, but still a little sea horse.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

crickets

Postby crickets » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
sophyturtle wrote:I sometimes rinse/douche with water in the shower

Kinda unrelated, but a while ago, I was at Zephora (or however the make-up-etc. place at the mall is called) and there was a bottle on display labled "Gel Douche", which just sounded all kinds of bad.
But a moment later it occurred to me
Spoiler:
it's probably in French, and shower gel

Bahaha.
My roommate and i were in a Shoppers Drug Mart a while back and she saw a bottle labeled "Gel Douche" and /lost it/. We were both really tired and kept giggling at each other saying "gel douche" all night. This is why we sleep. Sleep good.

And you were close: Zephora = Sephora, yeah?
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:I don't use tampons anymore, but I think I get the sentiment.

When you shower you can get all clean with no tampon and put a new one in after.
yeah, this is a lot of it. i like to get really clean in showers, and i also clean inside myself a bit, especially when on Shark Week. but generally, even with a quick shower, if the string sticks out a bit and gets wet, then the tampon is gunna spot later.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:06 am UTC

Secret Santa: Women Edition update

Thank you so much Poxic! You are so sweet *hugs*

Guys! I mean, GALS! She got me LUSH!! :D <3 <3 <3

Pictures will come. I got the Godiva solid shampoo (oooh my fav) and two other things I dunno what they are but they seem like lotion-y washes sort of stuff, and they smell AWESOME.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:19 am UTC

Yer welcome. :D

The two other things are soap. I think they're supposed to be mild, and the sea salt one can be used for exfoliating or something. (Our local store had a big sale on their soap, so I got one too.)
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:58 am UTC

Sungura wrote:So...tl;dr happy next period! (which is good as I will likely be at a karate event for the weekend when it hits)

Yay! Good luck for a happy period! A word of advice- the first time you take the cup out when you're actually bleeding, do it in the shower. It can get very slippery and having a tub to spill it in can avert lots of mess. And I understand about the removal pain. The first time I tried taking mine out it was like say hello and goodbye to your hymen.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:44 am UTC

Flying Betty wrote:
Sungura wrote:So...tl;dr happy next period! (which is good as I will likely be at a karate event for the weekend when it hits)

Yay! Good luck for a happy period! A word of advice- the first time you take the cup out when you're actually bleeding, do it in the shower. It can get very slippery and having a tub to spill it in can avert lots of mess. And I understand about the removal pain. The first time I tried taking mine out it was like say hello and goodbye to your hymen.
Yes, successful so far and intact still so far. I'd like to keep it intact, because I cannot imagine the insane amount of pain it would be to un-intact it based on just a little jostle the wrong way almost made me scream (and it takes a lot to make me scream) so I will endeavour to keep it how it is. FOREVER. Otherwise, yeouch. I realize this could be a problem in the future, so maybe I should just become a nun or something now? >_<

poxic wrote:Yer welcome. :D

The two other things are soap. I think they're supposed to be mild, and the sea salt one can be used for exfoliating or something. (Our local store had a big sale on their soap, so I got one too.)
OOh, yay! :D

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

I'm on a rabbit forum too and some stuff makes me sad. There is a person who is hiding her pain during shark week (which is enough to make her want to/vomit and all up in her back as well) and has resigned to nothing works, even though it sounds like at most she has tried a couple otc things from the drugstore (she named "various Advils"). On top of that, she doesn't feel free to talk about anything either it seems, which of course doesn't help her get help. I just made a long post of ideas, encouragement, etc. I hope she takes some.

edit: oh sorry for the double post! I didn't notice I was the last poster.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:19 am UTC

Sentences I never thought I would type, #143: I broke a nipple.

o.O

I'd heard all about aging skin getting dry and whatnot, and haven't seen too much of that myself yet. I use more hand lotion than I used to, but that's about it. I didn't pay particular attention to my areolas, though. I didn't think I had to.

Then I bumped a nipple (through a shirt, even) a couple of days ago. It hurt a bit, but I ignored it. That evening I discovered that the skin right under the nipple had cracked because it was too dry to stretch. >.<

So yeah, the girls are getting mega moisturiser twice a day now. The crack is healing and the rawness is gone today. I'ma start looking around for other bits of skin that are getting dry, I think.

/middle age sucks
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

Ouch, poxic. That sounds painful!

On the pain note...wtf tummy? why are you being all crampy? I should have another whole week. Or are you just doing the pre-shark-week-cramping thing you've been enjoying giving to me lately? Grah, I'd better take stuff with me to work in case it starts. Oh wait...isn't this where the cup comes in handy as I can just pop it in and wait for it to start? Hmm...maybe I will go that route. But I'll still take stuff with me in case I have issues with it.

eigengirl

Postby eigengirl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Hello Woman Thread, I have a question - does anyone have any experience with the Mirena coil? I'm looking for a more long term contraceptive, I'm on Cerazette at the moment but have recently started getting bleeding which can last for several days. The reason I went for Cerazette was because I thought it would stop my periods, and it did for six months or so, but now the bleeding has come back. I know Mirena might not stop them but I've read that it is often used to make heavy periods lighter so it might at least reduce the bleeding. Also I'm a bit forgetful and the idea of just having something put inside me and then not having to worry about remembering my pill every day is very appealing.

Also if anyone has any experiences with the insertion of such devices, I'd be interested to hear about it, because that's one thing that is currently putting me off!

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 pm UTC

I know a few people (including me) have had or tried IUDs, but I don't know about the coil. I think it came up once. Maybe that was in meat space.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

eigengirl wrote:Hello Woman Thread, I have a question - does anyone have any experience with the Mirena coil? I'm looking for a more long term contraceptive, I'm on Cerazette at the moment but have recently started getting bleeding which can last for several days. The reason I went for Cerazette was because I thought it would stop my periods, and it did for six months or so, but now the bleeding has come back. I know Mirena might not stop them but I've read that it is often used to make heavy periods lighter so it might at least reduce the bleeding. Also I'm a bit forgetful and the idea of just having something put inside me and then not having to worry about remembering my pill every day is very appealing.

Also if anyone has any experiences with the insertion of such devices, I'd be interested to hear about it, because that's one thing that is currently putting me off!
I have the Mirena. I really like it. I barely ever get Shark Week, and when I do, it's extremely light, to the point where I just need to wear a liner. Then again, I never had extremely heavy Shark Weeks, just normal ones. It is REALLY great to not have to worry about BC for 5 years (beyond checking for the string monthly to make sure it's still in place).

Most people seem to say that the insertion itself hurts, though it didn't hurt me any more than a quick shot. According to the nurse practitioner that did mine, that's really uncommon and normally it does pinch pretty badly. The only problem I had with it was the time afterwards. I was dizzy and sick to my stomach for 24 hours after, and had terrible cramps for a few days as well. Then I had some light bleeding for about a month. But since then I have had NO problems. And everybody reacts differently to it, so you might want to find some communities dedicated to talking about BC to see others' stories. I would recommend having it done on a Friday afternoon, so you have the weekend to recover in case you react badly. And definitely have someone else around to take you home, or at the very least be ready to call a cab.

Also, something to keep in mind: some doctors won't insert IUDs for people who haven't had children because they're afraid the uterus is too small to accommodate the device, which mostly just means your body might expel it. They also sometimes may be against the idea if you're not in a monogamous relationship, because certain STDs can cause scarring around the IUD, resulting in tearing when it's removed. But the former is only a slight risk, and usually expulsion will happen in the first month if it's ever going to happen, and the latter is only a problem if you are at risk for getting an STD (so using condoms is still a good idea if you're not in a monogamous relationship where both of you have been tested).
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Sentences I never thought I would type, #143: I broke a nipple.

o.O

I'd heard all about aging skin getting dry and whatnot, and haven't seen too much of that myself yet. I use more hand lotion than I used to, but that's about it. I didn't pay particular attention to my areolas, though. I didn't think I had to.

Then I bumped a nipple (through a shirt, even) a couple of days ago. It hurt a bit, but I ignored it. That evening I discovered that the skin right under the nipple had cracked because it was too dry to stretch. >.<

So yeah, the girls are getting mega moisturiser twice a day now. The crack is healing and the rawness is gone today. I'ma start looking around for other bits of skin that are getting dry, I think.

/middle age sucks

Apparently this happens a lot to male runners. (not so much women runners, thanks to sports bras) Some of my guy friends are marathon runners or triathletes, and they frequently have to put band-aids on their nipples to prevent two bloody stripes on the front of their shirt. I guess running loads of miles with a t-shirt rubbing those delicate things can do some damage... And it doesn't even matter if you buy really "soft" material, almost any material has the ability to chafe your nipples enough to cause them to bleed.
milk from space is good for you!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 pm UTC

Indeed, spacemilk. It's actually called Jogger's nipple, following other sports related conditions as tennis elbow and athletes foot.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

Maybe stupid idea, but why don't they make bras for guys? Not just a small cup size for women, one designed for men, so they could avoid that? If it really does help, that is.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

Bandaids are cheaper, and work pretty well

Return to “General”