[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

crickets

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.ne

Postby crickets » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:47 am UTC

Ashlah wrote:Could someone with a better understanding of women's cycles please try to explain to me what is going on here:

I've noticed in the last few months, my body has become more...reliant (?) on my birth control pill (which I've been taking for three years) to keep my cycle regular. What I mean is that, recently, when I'm even a few hours late on a pill, my body decides it's time to start bleeding. Yay. It doesn't start until the next day, by which point, I have taken the late pill, and the pill after that. Sometimes I only bleed a little bit that one day, other times I randomly bleed a few times after that in the next week or two. Never a full period, until the week of the placebo pills, during which I have a normal (although recently starting sooner than it used to) period.

So...what is going on here? Anyone know? If anyone has ideas why this has only started happening within the last few months, that would be awesome, but just a general explanation of why it happens at all (why the pill is seemingly so necessary to suppress the start of bleeding) would be neat.

Well, it depends on the type of pill you're taking. I take a more progesterone based pill, which means i'm constantly in the end phase of the graph in my last post. So, presumably, when your body experiences a drop in progesterone, your body starts to assume it's time for Shark Week to start. Some people are more sensitive to these hormone fluctuations than others.

That's just my guess.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

Hmm, the lowered anti-depressant dosage is not going so well. Today is the second really bad day in the week I've been doing it, after months of good days. I will hold it out for the fortnight I intended to do and it's ok because I know what it is, but it's a bit sad. And not really fun.

Potential Bebbeh (as I like to call hir) will have to have their serotonin uptake inhibited too mefinks.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

There must be some antidepressants that are more baby-friendly than others... I'm sure your Dr will advise the suitability of Teh Drugs. At least one of my friends was on ADs for the entire duration of her pregnancy, so it can't be too bad for the kid, right?

Also: Hug?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

Argh.
I went to the doc last month to try to find out why I'm having so much abdominal pain, and I only just heard back now. We did blood tests and ultrasounds and all they found was blood in one of my ovarian follicles. Bleh. So I guess that is that. I haven't been having pain since then much, but man, it was hurting a lot for a good amount of time beforehand.
I'm personally wondering if I just kind of went in as it was healing, absorbing the blood back into my body, because I'd had pain for a while before and she said it wasn't a cyst- not big enough. But maybe it was bigger and just went away? I have no idea.
Anybody else have this happen? What the hell is it?
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

While I don't know particulars, meaux, the body does sometimes take care of itself in regards to stuff being where it shouldn't even if it is "self". The immune system etc. is p cool that way. If blood was where it shouldn't be causing the pain, and the pain has disappeared, yes it is likely the body took care of that itself. Think of it like when you bruise, that's just broken blood vessels that leaked into surrounding tissue and eventually (or right away, depending) shows up at the surface of your skin in what we call a bruise. But the bruise doesn't stay there, it disappears.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

Well that prettymuch makes perfect sense.

I mostly wish I knew what'd caused it so I can like, not do it again. Probably it was nothing I could have prevented, I dunno.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:25 pm UTC

While not related to anything specifically woman related, my doc prescribed me a drug to hopefully help with my near daily headaches, and possible migraines. Just have to pick up the pills.

Which is good, right?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

If it's about you, it's about a woman, and it belongs here.

Good luck with the pills and with the end of daily headaches. I hope the pills work extremely well and have no side effects.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

I hope so too. I assume they won't.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:42 am UTC

I try to believe the best with meds. Placebo works like 30% of the time so I figure I am giving myself an increased likelihood of it working.

I sometimes worry about the reproduction with meds thing. The next step in my meds might be lithium, and that is even possibly very harmful to me. I am hoping science figures that stuff out before I need it. Go Science?

Also, Yay for something to help with headaches!
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

Sigh, so after that last text saying that breakthrough bleeding never lasts more than a day...it seems I'm on my way to have a light semi-period for two weeks before the placebo/full period week. This is greatly irritating. It's not nearly heavy enough for a tampon, so I guess I just have to wear a liner constantly...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

So, I started the new pill yesterday.
Now I'm having trouble staying awake at work, and my brain won't turn on.

Awesome.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

:( Jessica hugs.

I got e-stalked the other day by my husband's new colleagues and this thread turned up. I want it to be in General so it's easy to find and join but I also don't so it's not public. Thoughts, anyone?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

Theoretically, a "safespace" forum could be created, but I'm pretty happy right now with how it is.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

Isn't e-stalking like, illegal? *hugs for moo* that sucks. I guess my only thought is we all know anyone could see what we post here...so we don't know who is reading this. I don't even think you have to be registered to view this forum? I guess as much annoying & maybe bad can come of that if someone you know e-stalks you and in a way your privacy gets invaded because it wasn't meant for their eyes, maybe some of the things we talk about here come up in searches and help people too. Maybe make an alt if you are worried? I guess...I can understand it being upsetting because we are all open and honest and talk about things here and feel safe...but in the end all this is posted on the Internet and we have to remember that anyone can find it. So if we want to post things not connected with ourselves, usually that's what a random alt is useful for to my understanding.

In a way, I kinda like it open, I agree with Jessica that I like this thread here. Society in general says all this is icky to talk about. I feel like it kinda makes a statement keeping it as public as it is. If someone has problems with how open we are, well, that's their issue and they can ignore this thread. I know I've even sent not only girl-friends but some guy-friends to this thread at times (why everyone tends to ask /me/ questions, I dunno!) but sometimes it will be on topics that we've discussed here so I'll link them to the start of that conversation. I've never had one not be very happy that I did.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:11 pm UTC

Not the illegal kind of stalking, the "oh the new guy's wife is a geek? I wonder if she's on the internet. Oh look, she seems to go by Moo a lot. Didn't he say she's on the xkcd forum? Oh look, details of her menstrual cup usage. Ur...".

So yeah, you don't have to log in to see this stuff. I really don't want to use an alt any time I want to reply to someone asking about tampon use or intimate waxing.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

I hope this doesn't come across as an inconsiderate response but the way you typed that made me giggle outloud. It made it sound like they were acting like little boys. "Girls? OHMYGODTHEYHAVECOOTIES!!!"

/me often finds sillyness in things...
/me also uses sillyness as a coping mechanism a lot because it's more fun to laugh than to cry

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

I think it's awful that we feel responsible for the feelings of others when we talk about womanly stuff. I don't like the idea that someone perhaps finding this thread would discourage people to post in it in any way. If being more honest and open about it was normal, it would make things easier for everyone, and hopefully this thread has started a little bit of that.

I don't want it to be closed at all. I'm sure a lot of guys lurk in here and have learned more about women's issues than they ever could've imagined, just by being able to be able to see what kinds of conversations women have that are normally relegated to the women's bathroom or whatever.

In short, my hope for everyone would be Don't be ashamed of it! If something in this thread makes someone uncomfortable, that's their problem, NOT ours, because we're talking about things that affect the health and well-being of women, and if the word gets spread, life might be a little better for someone who may not have access to a non-judgemental resource like the women of the xkcd fora in real life.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

to be fair, when it comes to menstration, men do act like little boys. "menstrual cup? what's tha-oh..oh, uh...eww, hrm...ok lets move on" actually a part of me wonders if that was enough to end the search.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

I'm not ashamed. But I talk candidly about some things on a PUBLIC place on the internet and not about others. I also talk about depression and sex on the fora and wouldn't want those things to be public either. None of them are, just this thread. It's the only place on the board that I talk about things I consider personal (not shameful) that is open to public view and search engines etc.

Lurkers who are registered are an entirely different thing than random Googling.

It has nothing to do with it being women issues. It's about it being personal issues, and open to potential employers, my husband's workmates, someone with a grudge, anyone to see.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

I think Moo has a fair point. I'd be dead as a piece of log if my family ever read half of what I post here. I like the fact that this forum is public and I, personally, have no issues with this fact. I am done hiding in real life about who I am and I feel it's liberating to talk about things in a open space. I'm willing to take the risk of being found out. However, this IS safespace and if some women feel that their posts should be viewed only by registered users, I think that's a fair thing to want. It can get annoying when some people find out who you are when you want to be as far away from them as possible.

If only I'd have superawesome powers to send all e-stalkers to Azkaban... sigh.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:to be fair, when it comes to menstration, men do act like little boys. "menstrual cup? what's tha-oh..oh, uh...eww, hrm...ok lets move on" actually a part of me wonders if that was enough to end the search.
You've never heard of women acting like little girls when it comes to menstruation? You're both underestimating one gender and overestimating another it seems in this post. :|
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

DrerAhv

Postby DrerAhv » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:29 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:to be fair, when it comes to menstration, men do act like little boys. "menstrual cup? what's tha-oh..oh, uh...eww, hrm...ok lets move on" actually a part of me wonders if that was enough to end the search.
You've never heard of women acting like little girls when it comes to menstruation?

TBH, I haven't. Around where I live it seems they complain about it like little girls when they first get Shark Week, ie, 9-12, and then accept it within a year or two and move on. Normal stuff of life. =/
Give me an internet whenever you've liked what I've said. ;D

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

yeah, i've never heard of it, but either way, i didn't say that girls don't, i said that boys do.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

I've never heard of it either. Yeah when they /first/ start getting it for a little while, but then they get used to it. And you said "women" so probably 18+ by that, not a pre-teen/young teen, in which case, nope.

And certainly not all guys are bad about things. But there are quite a few (and I would say, the majority that I know) are. There are some guys I know I can't even say "grah cramps I hate this time of month" around because that's gross. I say it anyway, because they need to grow up. Or if I choose to go with something like "Stupid uterus" you'd think I just said "boobies! lol" the way they giggle. There are some guys who are okay with it though, for sure. Just I would say the majority, at least that I know, are not. Not even with a little bit of talk.

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

FWIW, I've found the menfolk to be mostly curious rather than squicked out. The only negative responses I've ever heard are from prissy girls and old people who don't think such things should be mentioned in public.

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

Shro wrote:I'm sure a lot of guys lurk in here and have learned more about women's issues than they ever could've imagined, just by being able to be able to see what kinds of conversations women have that are normally relegated to the women's bathroom or whatever.

*Shifty eyes*

Umm, now for a constructive post?

Random guys at Mr Moo's work who may be reading this: Moo is Very, Very Cool. If she leaves or even feels slightly uncomfortable I think the Woman Thread Army may be remobilised.

Dang, that wasn't constructive really, was it?

Moo, can I suggest that if you don't want e-stalker people reading stuff the This post had objectionable content. trick is handy. It doth suck that you should should feel even slightly uncomfortable posting here :( but tis a (cruddy) solution.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:26 am UTC

I know a lot of women who aren't really at all comfortable talking about menstruation and would probably have an "erk" sort of response to the detail we go into on here. It seems to sort of be the culture around me to an extent - we can discuss PMS, we can ask in desperation (last resort sort of thing) if a friend has a pad or tampon when we're caught short, or some panadol if we've got bad cramps, and general discussions about effectiveness or side effects of the pill are fine, but we really don't talk about it beyond that.
I had an English office-mate last year who tended to mention when she was on Shark Week without fail, whether to bitch about her cramps or explain her need to go get chocolate, and tbh I had an "erk" response (inside, I didn't voice it). But I think it was mainly because I had begun to greatly dislike her after many months of daily snarky remarks, put-downs or other forms of exerting superiority over us as she was a PhD and we were lowly MSc students... so what was going on near her vagina was really not something I cared to know. I don't imagine I'd get an erk-response with any of my closer friend-group, and certainly never have in the past when such things have come up.
I do also know some men who are absolutely fine with such discussions, although I rarely tend to broach the subject with men.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:14 am UTC

I think Amie and Moo raise some very valid points (my parents finding this thread? No thanks!); on the other hand, one of the things that first made me take the plunge and sign up for the xkcd fora was the existence of threads like this (especially this thread and its presence on the front page of General). If I hadn't signed up I'd never have known about it, because I don't tend to create a username until after I know I want to stick around somewhere on the internet.
A 'safespace' subforum that's visible in General but needs to be logged into to see, like the LSR forum, might do the job of still making it visible, if the line of description beneath it explained what it was.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

DrerAhv

Postby DrerAhv » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:29 am UTC

Agreed.

The main reason I signed up was for this thread. While it would be more comfortable for the already registered users to move it to a Safespace forum, less people, registered or non, would know about the thread.

....that sounds like it didn't come out right.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:39 am UTC

...well, I do a pretty good job of keeping all my internet identities separate or hidden. So I'm not worried at all about RL people finding me and reading my posts (otherwise, I never would have posted about my abortion, etc.) - and yeah, this thread is the only place in my life where I can really let loose with my wimminfolks issues in a way that I can't even do with my female friends.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:58 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:and yeah, this thread is the only place in my life where I can really let loose with my wimminfolks issues in a way that I can't even do with my female friends.
Never suggested it shouldn't exist.

GraphiteGirl and DrerAhv, I thought but wasn't sure if that was the case for anyone but if it is, it's worth being a bit exposed if the thread continues to mean what it did for you.

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 am UTC

Re: women's reactions to menstruation, recently when I was seeing my mother for the first time in years, I had a few days of absolutely terrible cramps, and when she was asking me about if I wanted medicine or whatnot she also asked if I needed any pads or anything (we were travelling, so it is feasible I might have forgotten them) and I told her no, I don't use that anymore. And she was like huh? What do you use? And I said I had a menstrual cup and RIGHT AWAY her face twisted up in this look of UTTER REVULSION and he was like ewwww tchtchtch I don't want to hear about that, that's so gross.

So, uh. There is that.

Probably also cuz I hang out with a lot of superchill guys, I have never gotten a reaction like that from the menfolk in my life.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

DrerAhv

Postby DrerAhv » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:46 am UTC

On a completely unrelated note;

Fellow women, I have a problem. I have this rather nice "winter cargo coat", which is my short way of saying "a winter coat with a lot of freaking pockets". The problem is, I've gotten paint on this wonderful coat. Not just a dab, either; an entire bottle of yellow paint literally exploded in my hands during an art project. The yellow, admittedly, does not bode well with the greyish-purple coat. I've tried using nail polish remover, floor cleaner, and rubbing alcohol to get it out. While I have been able to get the first few layers out (with a LOT of elbow grease), it appears the outside fabric is stained.

In short: Do you fine fellows have any way of removing paint stains from winter coats?

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:28 am UTC

What is the coat made of? I mean, a wool coat vs a nylon coat will need different things. I am not sure what they are but we can start the search there.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:29 am UTC

Also, what sort of paint?
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:13 am UTC

And can you apply the same effect to the other sleeve and pretend it's a feature?
Ⓞⓞ◯

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

any method of removing some paints is going to be changed by the fact that the paint has already had chemicals applied to it, just a reminder

DrerAhv

Postby DrerAhv » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

I believe it's acrylic paint. I'm not sure of the material of the coat, however upon close inspection it seems to be some sort of weave. According to the tags, the outside "shell" is polyester, as well as the insulation.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

Can you take it to the dry cleaners?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Return to “General”