[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cassi

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.ne

Postby Cassi » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:22 am UTC

Yea, that's one of the main reasons I gave up on the pill and went for my IUD instead...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:27 am UTC

O, how I hated my IUD for the first month! O, how I loved it forever after.
Mirena IUD, peeps. Best. Investment. Evar. I have a serious problem forgetting my meds, even with reminders and such, so I could never keep up with the pill, and also it made me into a crying rage-monster. And now I don't have to worry about BC at all for another 4.5 years. I wish more insurers covered it and that so many gynos weren't such prejudiced blockheads and actually read up on the literature that ISN'T from 40-50 years ago.

On the other hand, this means that, if and when I have sex, if my boy has had an STD check, he doesn't have to use a condom. I LIKE condoms, because even with lube I get some chafage of my ladybits without one. I really don't want to go without. Any advice, ladythread, besides lube, lube, and more lube?
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:33 am UTC

@Chai, would he be willing to use condoms anyway, if they make it better for you and don't have an effect on him? Otherwise, yeah, lots of lube is my only advice (I swear by lube, I adore it, I wouldn't be able to have penetrative sexyfuntime without it).

Hmm...I might just talk to my doctor about my options. If the hormones aren't actually helping my symptoms then maybe there is something else I could try. I have 3 months of dianette left, I might try to make an appointment with the awesome dr at my surgery before the pills run out and see what she can suggest.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:36 am UTC

There isn't really a reason why you can't continue to use condoms as well. A lot of people prefer to use two methods of birth control at once to reduce pregnancy chances to infinitesimal values.

Otherwise, lube is good yes. Him performing oral sex on you before PIV sex helps a lot with lubrication in my case. Whether it's saliva or more time for my own fluids to accumulate, I'm not sure.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:09 am UTC

I'm sure he'd be willing to, but it is probably better for him if he doesn't, I don't know. If there's no alternative, that's the way it works.
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:54 am UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:I'm sure he'd be willing to, but it is probably better for him if he doesn't, I don't know. If there's no alternative, that's the way it works.

Can't hurt to ask/try. Baseline sensitivity, and by extension, how much of a difference a condom makes, varies a lot from guy to guy based on several factors, such as whether he's circumcised (circumcised=reduced sensitivity), medication he takes (especially certain antidepressants), and frequency of sexual activity. For example, due to a dark conspiracy between God, Abraham, and Eli Lilly and Company, it's all but impossible for me to finish with a condom; on the other end of the spectrum, I know several guys who say it barely makes a difference.

As for actual suggestions: Have you tried different lubes? Not just different bases (oil/water/silicone), but different brands (which use different fillers and preservatives—it might even be the case that something in the product your using is causing the chafing)?
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:Lady thread, I wish to whine. Firstly, yesterday I wore a skirt for the first time in a while, and I had to change halfway through the day as my thighs were chafing and starting to hurt :( Is there anyway to combat this or do you just get used to it or am I just odd?
In addition to the already mentioned bike shorts or tights (anything that will stick to your flesh and chafe against itself instead of against your flesh), baby powder (to absorb moisture as well as rubbing against itself instead of against your flesh) works wonders.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:26 pm UTC

Spacemonkey - I second the bike shorts and/or baby powder and if you don't want to smell like baby powder the "silky underwear" powder from Lush does the same trick but smells more yummy in my opinion. Also, I have learned too that if I just deal with it for the first 2-3 days of the skirt wearing summer my skin toughens up and I stop having the problem. But, that one probably varies more person to person.

As for BC, while I"m not on it for BC so I can't say anything about sex drive or not, I shall toss in another vote for the Mirena IUD. Funny, they say you get spotting and stuff for about a month or two before your body figures things out and it is now 5 days less than a month and bingo, finally stopped spotting today (also, today would be the end of Shark Week if my cycle kept up normally somehow, I did have 3 days of more-than-spotting-but-not-that-heavy bleeding when Shark Week should have started). But yeah...I'd take this weird spotting for a month-ish any day over ocean for 10 days every 25! haha.I just got cloth pads and even just this so far has helped me heal (if anyone remembers any of my many owie pain rants from about 1-3 months ago) and I am in much less pain these days. And now I have BC should I want it ever in the next 5 years, and it's looking like I will be basically period-free too. WOOOOOO. The *only* thing I have noticed, for me, is that I have had more acne in the last month. But, I also know my body is starting to settle on the spotting-front so I bet the acne might start decreasing soon. As for finding a doctor, Shro was totally right when she said to go to planned parenthood. Once I got past crappypersononthephone the doctors themselves never batted an eye at my request. For here in the states, I know Blue Care Network (and I think Blue Cross Blue Shield too) for sure covers it. The Mirena and insertion combined was a grand total of $15. I have heard that that NHS fully covers it for those of ya in England.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

Thirded about the shorts under, I have lycra cotton ones and also a pair of lacy looking ones from maidenform that don't suck me in or anything but do look cute under a skirt. Another trick in a pinch is deodorant on your thighs.
Rice Puddin.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:35 pm UTC

Thank you all for the advice re shorts and stuff. I don't own any but I shall acquire some as I have lots of pretty skirt type things I would like to wear :)
I have decided to make an appointment with my awesome doctor (which may mean a long wait but will be worth it) and I shall definitely talk to her about other options. I shall do some research into IUDs before hand so I can go there educated.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

Snugura, did you get much pain with the first bit of the IUD? I mean, my spotting was pretty bad for the first month, but the worst of it for me was that I was in horrible pain the first three days, pretty bad pain the next two weeks. I'm not sure whether that's a common thing, but it definitely does happen, and people should know that might occur. My menstrual pain (in fact, my menstruation itself) seems practically gone these days on Mirena. I hear it's the opposite with the copper IUDs, though: more cramps, more blood. I haven't figured out the advantage of copper over Mirena, though, especially given that copper allergy seems more likely and more harmful than hormone intolerance.

Also, blue_eyedspacemonkey, a good article extolling the virtues of the IUD is available here. It's what got me to look at the IUD in the first place.
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

I have a copper IUD -- I went for it over hormones because I like the comfort of no baby blood...Shark Week was pretty much painless for me and reasonably light naturally -- I now tend to have one extremely heavy and somewhat painful day, but it's by no means unbearable...might make me not *want* to do things, but doesn't at all *stop* me from doing anything. Plus it's good for 10 years, and I thought there was little point putting extra hormones in my body when there was no real need. The doctor I saw when I got it was wonderful, and said that the hormonal IUD is a bit more common, but plenty of people do choose the copper one for various reasons. She was saying a lot about how good the IUD really is, though, and how she really likes seeing so many students choosing to get them.

Also, the NHS pages on IUDs are pretty good, and were one of my main reference points when making the decision (and the link I sent to my mum for information when I told her I was getting one).
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

crickets

Postby crickets » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

@Chai:
It really depends on the kind of lube you're using. Water based lubes tend to dry out and be sticky or tacky at times, but they are always safe on toys and condoms. Silicone lubes will afford you more slipperyness for longer, but do need to be washed off and will cause silicone toys to disintegrate. I find a good test is to just put a dab on your arm or fingers and rub it around for a while to see how long it takes before it's not slide-y anymore. I find that drugstore brand lubes are most often disappointing, and I have some good silicone and water based lube reccommendations, if you're in need of one.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:Snugura, did you get much pain with the first bit of the IUD? I mean, my spotting was pretty bad for the first month, but the worst of it for me was that I was in horrible pain the first three days, pretty bad pain the next two weeks. I'm not sure whether that's a common thing, but it definitely does happen, and people should know that might occur. My menstrual pain (in fact, my menstruation itself) seems practically gone these days on Mirena. I hear it's the opposite with the copper IUDs, though: more cramps, more blood. I haven't figured out the advantage of copper over Mirena, though, especially given that copper allergy seems more likely and more harmful than hormone intolerance.

Also, blue_eyedspacemonkey, a good article extolling the virtues of the IUD is available here. It's what got me to look at the IUD in the first place.
I am used to *bad* shark week pain as in wanting nothing more than to curl up and sleep on my bed and make it stop for about 2 of the 10 days (I said mine were crazy, 25 day cycle, 10 of which I'd be bleeding, and most of those quite heavily too) but putting that as a 10 and barely any pain at all (like, barely noticible) at a 1, the first day or two after the insertion I had roller-coastering cramps (like, fine, getting worse, eep, oh getting better, oh barely anything, etc etc) but the eep max never made it past a 4. Enough that I didn't want to go to karate that night, but not bad at all. When I looked at the clinical trials (yeah yeah, science nerd) 11% got the really bad cramping that sounds like what you describe.

I definitely noticed when Shark Week started over the spotting, it was like a light-normal flow but that is just the first one, like I said it's just been a month since the insertion and I just stopped spotting today.

I didn't even cramp or had much pain at all when they inserted it but my gyno did use lidocane injections - I would *HIGHLY* recommend requesting that because I do believe it helped. And she was liberal with the lidocane too. Her theory was why not give a bit too much because it doesn't hurt your body and it makes sure you're actually getting the full effect. It may sound scary to have lidocane injections into your cervix, but because you don't have the same sensory fibres there, you actually don't feel it. I didn't even know she was doing the injections, actually, okay, I knew the first one because I *felt* it but it didn't hurt, and the second two I didn't even feel. I got a little touch "tight" not really "crampy" but felt uncomfortably tight at a few points in the insertion process (mostly when the arms opened up and when she was moving it into place) and I found the relaxing yoga breathing stopped that uncomfortable tight feeling. My gyno seemed to really know what she was doing too, she had me do deep coughs at certain points (inserting the sound, inserting the iud) I think it must help the insert part go easier.

And yeah, the Mirena works by stopping the endometrium buildup, so you won't have periods much at all, and the cramping is caused by the breakdown of the endometrium and such (look back a few pages-ish for the science, there was recently discussion as to why you get cramps exactly) and so since no endo there to break down and expel, no cramps. Really, I can't think of a better method for me...no cramps, no periods, and good for 5 years? Also, because the hormone is released locally, it's not systemic so you don't get nearly the issues you get when you do a pill or other form that is systemic and not just local. Copper I'd never do because my reason in the first place was to cut back on the bleeding, but also, I am already allergic to a lot of metals so that just seems like a silly idea to put something in me I'm allergic to (I know I am allergic to nickel, copper, and possibly silver even. I've never had luck not being allergic to metal unless it's 24k gold or so. It's not *horrible*, it's over extended skin contact like 5+ hours, but still!)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:53 pm UTC

I must admit its the pain that is putting my off getting the IUD. I very very rarely have cramps and when I do, I have issues coping, despite them not being all that painful in comparison to other pain-migraines for example. I turn into a whiny grumpy pain in the arse. I mean, I could cope if I had to, but I'd rather not. I'm also have a tiny vagina. I had issues with my first smear test for that reason and I'd rather avoid pain if I can help it. I've tried to find info regarding the Mirena and PCOS, but there's nothing specific, but I have found vague hints the progesterone may be good for PCOS. I will talk to my Dr about it though, as it would be nice to not have to worry about contraception/periods/taking pills for a while.

/whine

So. Twitter

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:39 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:
blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:Lady thread, I wish to whine. Firstly, yesterday I wore a skirt for the first time in a while, and I had to change halfway through the day as my thighs were chafing and starting to hurt :( Is there anyway to combat this or do you just get used to it or am I just odd?
In addition to the already mentioned bike shorts or tights (anything that will stick to your flesh and chafe against itself instead of against your flesh), baby powder (to absorb moisture as well as rubbing against itself instead of against your flesh) works wonders.
Also, Band-Aid has just started making something called "Friction Block," which kind of looks like a mini deodorant. I have a friend who swears by it for avoiding chafing when wearing skirts. It's sold at most of the major drugstores around here, though I don't know if they sell it in the UK.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:30 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:I must admit its the pain that is putting my off getting the IUD. I very very rarely have cramps and when I do, I have issues coping, despite them not being all that painful in comparison to other pain-migraines for example. I turn into a whiny grumpy pain in the arse. I mean, I could cope if I had to, but I'd rather not. I'm also have a tiny vagina. I had issues with my first smear test for that reason and I'd rather avoid pain if I can help it. I've tried to find info regarding the Mirena and PCOS, but there's nothing specific, but I have found vague hints the progesterone may be good for PCOS. I will talk to my Dr about it though, as it would be nice to not have to worry about contraception/periods/taking pills for a while.

/whine
I honestly didn't find it painful at all, and I thought it would be. Until after getting it, for years I've dealt with pain "down there" consistently - I thought it was normal and I wasn't about to go to a gyno. I've now been once for a general exam (since you have to before getting the IUD) and in comparison, I'd honestly say that the exam/papsmear/etc all hurt about 5x more than the IUD insertion did. Then again, I was drugged up on lidocane for the IUD. The gyno even remarked to me "oh wow you are really petite in here!" which, I knew I was really tiny anyway, so I'm in the same boat as you there. I don't know if anyone else here who has an IUD was given lidocane or not. I mean, they even did my insertion not during shark week. If you lived here I would recommend the 2nd gyno I went to (who did my insertion) because she clearly knew exactly what she was doing and it seems like that is the biggest issue - find a gyno who knows how to do the insertion and is good at it and does it a lot.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Re: [SafeSpace] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

For chafing: I usually wear my Spanx shorts under skirts, even if it's not a clingy skirt that makes me need some smoothing in the tummy region, because I don't like my thighs rubbing. I also have some bike shorts that work swimmingly. This morning, however, it was too hot for a shorts layer under my skirt. Experimentally, I rubbed my inner thighs with antipersperant stick, and then put baby powder over the top of that with a powder brush. I then walked two miles in the heat. No rubbing!
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

vaseline is good for preventing inner-thigh chafage. (or as I like to call it: chub rub :wink: )

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:29 am UTC

This is my experience too. If it's hot or I know I'm going to do a lot of walking and I want to wear a skirt, I wear a pair of lycra cycle shorts (colloquial: skipants (no idea)) underneath.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:37 am UTC

I wear something similar (but longer) when skiing, so could that be it?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

I appreciate all this IUD discussion.

Unfortunately, my health insurance considers the insertion to be elective surgery, so they won't cover it unless I've met my annual out-of-pocket deductible, which is too high to ever conceivably meet. But they will pay for 80% of the IUD itself. weirdest insurance program ever.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

It's unfortunately true, meatyochre. Does anybody know Planned Parenthood's deal on IUDs? Maybe that might be more doable.

Okay, so it's good to know that my cramp experience was rare (you're so smart Sungura--I should have looked up clinical trials!). For me, the insertion process was still cryingly painful. I repeatedly swore throughout it that I would never have kids so I wouldn't have that kind of pain in my ladybits again. Now that I'm a little removed from the process, of course, I am strongly reconsidering that vow of childlessness.

I've had a very, very light period (think, 3-4 days of spotting) maybe 3 times since I got my IUD in October and haven't had one since April/May. I usually get a few hours worth of curled-up-crying cramps and haven't had any cramps at all since the first two weeks of pain. I'm hoping I've moved into the 20% of Mirena users who lose their periods altogether, but I hadn't had one in 5 months prior to my insertion, so it may just be me (though I did have normal periods when I had them). Obviously, then, I did not have an insertion during Shark Week.

The lidocaine sounds like absolute genius; I WISH my gyno had thought of that.

@blue_eyedspacemonkey I am a pain wimp too when it comes to cramps; I hate any pain in my abdomen at all, even though I have tremendous tolerance for joint and limb pain. Your vagina's size isn't the issue so much as the uterus, but even then, only 11% apparently get my pain reaction, and this is without pain medication, so if you take an NSAID you'll probably feel much better than I did. In exchange, it cuts down your cramps by a billion. My advice is to have someone hold your hand for the first day and swear at them a lot; my poor boyfriend got so much abuse that day ("You with your fucking penis! I don't want anything to fucking do with it! You wanted to fuck me? Fuck you! Fuck yoooooooooooooou!").

See your doc, definitely, because IIRC people try to control PCOS by taking the pill, and Mirena definitely does not have enough hormone to do the trick: it's administered locally, but the whole thing over five years has about 1 day's worth of Pill hormones. Maybe you can use the IUD as your BC method and the Pill as your PCOS treatment, and it's much less hazardous if you happen to forget a day of the Pill because it just affects your PCOS treatment, not your BC?

@crickets Yeah, the recommendations on water-based lube would be appreciated. I used Astroglide, which I heard is one of the better ones, because the washup after silicone kinda bothers me (also, that way, if I do use condoms and need extra lube, I don't have to worry about it breaking it down).

Also, Ladythread, any advice on lube application techniques? that might have been my problem, because I think all of it ended up at the entry to my vagina.

Of course, all of this ladythread stuff is not immediately necessary to me, since I'm not going to have sex for a looooooong time, but always better to know, right?
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:I appreciate all this IUD discussion.

Unfortunately, my health insurance considers the insertion to be elective surgery, so they won't cover it unless I've met my annual out-of-pocket deductible, which is too high to ever conceivably meet. But they will pay for 80% of the IUD itself. weirdest insurance program ever.

I think I can make sense of this: the insertion is a "treatment", and as such, is considered "elective" because there is an alternative treatment that (according to their books) is cheaper and equally effective. The IUD itself, however, is probably classified as a "medical device" (or "prescription drug", if it's a hormonal one), and it's likely that your insurance has no deductable for devices or prescription medicines.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

I enjoy the current discussion of contact rashes between the legs. My friends call it "chub rub". I hate it! Baby powder and deodorant seems to work for me to prevent it, if I don't put something between my legs. My friend just suggested yeast infection cream, or athletes foot cream to treat it. Haven't tried that yet, but supposedly it's a fungus.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

I suppose the chafe will be worse now that I'm in humid, 37 degree weather in Italy. Ugh. I miss the Netherlands.
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

Dear Woman Thread,

I can stop sockpuppeting now.

Today I watched him get shiny metal bracelets and papers informing him that I no longer wish to be married to him and am taking steps to make that happen. If all goes well it will be an annullment instead of a divorce and it will be over with that much sooner.

YAY.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

I'm so happy for you, Kithplana! *hugs*

So. Twitter

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

Kithplana wrote:Dear Woman Thread,

I can stop sockpuppeting now.

Today I watched him get shiny metal bracelets and papers informing him that I no longer wish to be married to him and am taking steps to make that happen. If all goes well it will be an annullment instead of a divorce and it will be over with that much sooner.

YAY.

Good for you. I hope it goes quickly. You deserve better than this, and that's a likely understatement.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

Jessica wrote: but supposedly it's a fungus.

really? surely it's just from chafing? I suppose once the chafing has damaged the skin a fungal infection could get in easily, but I doubt it's the cause...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:21 am UTC

I'll try anything to help it go away faster. I hate it.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:34 am UTC

I don't think it's caused by a fungus, I think it's just caused by the irritation of sweaty skin rubbing together...so, if we're looking for things to treat it after it's already occurred, rather than prevent it, I think diaper rash cream would actually do the trick pretty well. Also probably wearing loose cotton pants until it goes away.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:09 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I don't think it's caused by a fungus, I think it's just caused by the irritation of sweaty skin rubbing together...so, if we're looking for things to treat it after it's already occurred, rather than prevent it, I think diaper rash cream would actually do the trick pretty well. Also probably wearing loose cotton pants until it goes away.

I've found that good quality cotton leggings also work well - as long as they're of the quality that the leggings with slip over each other, instead of one side or the other slipping over your skin.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:26 am UTC

Sungura wrote:And yeah, the Mirena works by stopping the endometrium buildup, so you won't have periods much at all, and the cramping is caused by the breakdown of the endometrium and such (look back a few pages-ish for the science, there was recently discussion as to why you get cramps exactly) and so since no endo there to break down and expel, no cramps. Really, I can't think of a better method for me...no cramps, no periods, and good for 5 years? Also, because the hormone is released locally, it's not systemic so you don't get nearly the issues you get when you do a pill or other form that is systemic and not just local. Copper I'd never do because my reason in the first place was to cut back on the bleeding, but also, I am already allergic to a lot of metals so that just seems like a silly idea to put something in me I'm allergic to (I know I am allergic to nickel, copper, and possibly silver even. I've never had luck not being allergic to metal unless it's 24k gold or so. It's not *horrible*, it's over extended skin contact like 5+ hours, but still!)

Yeah, I've had the Mirena for a little more than a year now! Ironically, since I got it I've had terribad can't-get-out-of-bed cramps. However, this may not have anything to do with the IUD - correlation, but no proven causation. I had more than a few OBGYNs telling me that the IUD was a no-no because I was only 18 when I got it and had neither been pregnant nor had a child. Fortunately, the one I usually go to (have been going since 13, when I told my Mom about some things) was very very nice about it, told me what to expect, etc. I was perfectly fine for ~20 minutes, but then I got in the car and pretty much collapsed into ouchies. She gave me some sort of Advil-on-Speed and that helped out a LOT. 2 days later I was perfectly fine.

My guy and I absolutely love it! I'm not good with daily pills, sheesh I'm bad at taking my anti-depressant every day >.> so it's nice to have protection that I don't have to prepare. A year after getting it, I still have monthlies, though they're usually about 35 days instead of ~28. Periods are lighter, but a day longer than they were (6 days instead of 5) and the first 2 days are ouchie ouchie ouchie.

I also am allergic to pretty much every metal but for nice gold :( I feel your pain... I wore generic metal jingle-bell earrings once for a concert, and ended up with an infection that required antibiotics to treat :/ so that was an auto-no to the copper IUD.

I'm really in love with the IUD, even with a nasty few days a month. I just take an advil-on-speed in the morning and go on my way. :D
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

crickets

Postby crickets » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:10 am UTC

@Chai:
Pink Water and Liquid Silk both worked rather well. They're both of a slightly thinner consistancy than AstroGlide, but i found that AstroGlide gets REALLY TACKY if it starts to dry out. There is also a brother brand to Liquid Silk called Maximus, which is thicker and clear instead of thinner and milky, but i haven't tested it. The general consensus between Djorgensen and I is that a thicker lube is better for anal, or if something is going to go in somewhere and stay there, but the thinner lubes are better for friction, as they don't become tacky so fast.

Used silicone based lube for sex-not-with-toys last night, and found that it worked extremely well and the cleanup wasn't any worse than with water based lube. Of course, it's thirty dollar lube so we only used a teeeeeeeeeeny little bit. Some further looking-into-it-ness proved me wrong on the fact that silicones are bad for condoms, but you really really cannot use them with silicone toys.

Side note:
Don't use flavoured lube. Just don't. Unless it's for oral-only. I have never had a good experience with flavoured lube. Stiiiickyyyy.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:31 am UTC

crickets wrote:Don't use flavoured lube. Just don't. Unless it's for oral-only. I have never had a good experience with flavoured lube. Stiiiickyyyy.

I've had the same issue with warming lube... is that common or just the brand I was using? (First thing we find dot dot dot)
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:51 am UTC

Yeah, we were probably thinking of oil-based lube, which I don't think is that popular anymore. I'll look into those--do you have to get them at a sex shop specifically?

Yaaaaay, Kithplana!

For the chafing thing, how long do things like baby powder and stick rub things work in your guys' experience? I don't really want to keep baby powder in my purse, y'know?
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

I had another thought on the chaffing...I always have to keep my leg hair there non-existant and that helps a lot. Either that OR let it grow back to normal but for me keeping it smooth helps better.

Enuja

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Enuja » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

Bicycle shorts and other cloth solutions work a lot longer than baby powder does. If you aren't walking much or sweating much, you'll still have baby powder 8-12 hours after you put it on. But if you're not walking or sweating, you probably don't need any baby powder in the first place. If you're sweating like a maniac, you will probably want to re-apply the baby powder once every two or three hours. You can always put some baby powder into a small container (plastic spice jars work well) and put it in a backpack or purse, and bicycle shorts plus baby powder is much more powerful than bicycle shorts alone. But if bicycle shorts alone work for you, there is no reason to bother with the baby powder, or putting it in your purse.

Ashlah

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Ashlah » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

We've made such technological and medical strides...why the hell can't someone make a deodorant/antiperspirant that actually works and is actually invisible??? Yesterday, I had little white balls of deodorant in my armpit. Today, my pits were just sweaty.

Have I just not found the right one?

Also, slightly related, I wish my face didn't sweat so much.

[/mini rant]

Return to “General”