[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Congratulations!

My personal advice - which you can scoff at if you wish - is to find a dressmaker (either locally or even on Etsy), and just get EXACTLY the dress you want, rather than trying to make an off-the-shelf dress be exactly what you want. I went and tried on wedding dresses before I got married. I couldn't find anything that I felt really at-ease in. I had my dress made, and it turned out so wonderfully. Added bonus of having your pancreas-pocket incorporated right into the design!
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

Congratulations!

Also: What PictureSarah said. I guess it would depend on the style of the dress?
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

That sort of alteration should be a piece of cake for a tailor. My similarly cyborg niece frequently has this.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

more congratulations! :mrgreen:
I guess having a mooch around wedding dressy shops and/or shops that sell formal wear and just trying things on to get an idea of styles you like and what looks good. But I second what Sarah says, go to a dressmaker and get a custom dress that fits perfectly and is exactly what you want. And chances are it'll be miles cheaper than a dress from a wedding shop, especially if you don't want loads of frills or fiddly beading.

crickets

Postby crickets » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

Or you could accesorize with it instead!

http://hankypancreas.com/
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Shelagh

Postby Shelagh » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

Hello, ladies (and any visiting gents),

Not a frequent poster here so uh, hi there, I'm Shelagh. Glad to meet you. I found this thread a few days ago and have been reading it on-and-off since. I'm on page 36 so far and yes, I plan to read THE WHOOOOOOOOOOLE THING. Eventually. I'm glad to have found this, though. There's plenty of good conversation in it so far. I just needed somewhere to vent for a moment, so feel free to skip right over. :D

Shark week is coming. When? Oh, maybe tomorrow, maybe later today. Maybe in a few days. But really, I just want it to show up already. I've been somewhere between "meh" and "GRAGHHHH, WANT TO BREAK THINGS" for the last few days and I want to be rid of it so I can get shit done. My little boobs (34/36A-ish) feel like they're twice the size. At least times like these make me grateful that they're not bigger, lest they become more unwieldy.

Hrm. I think my "wahhhh" is done for now. Thanks.

@Jessica, I'm sorry you're going through what you're going through. I really don't know what else to say. However, if it's any kind of consolation, I'm also glad to know that it's not worse.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

mochafairy wrote:...cyborg pancreas...
I suppose it's not cool that you need one, but it sounds so awesome!

I'm not exactly a dress expert, but the custom-made suggestions sound brilliant, even moreso for your extra pocket. Also, PictureSarah's dress turned out so pretty that it's a great recommendation for that option.

Good luck, and have fun!
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:15 am UTC

Just for balance, my off-the-shelf then altered by a great dressmaker friend of my mother was amazing and I wouldn't change anything.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

And I absolutely did not mean to be critical of going with an off-the-shelf option. I think my experience with bridal stores would have been much improved if they had actually carried my size in *any* of the dresses...but they seemed to carry the fairly large sizes and the fairly small sizes...and nothing in between. So my experience of trying dresses on involved being either squashed uncomfortably into a dress that wouldn't even zip up all the way - not flattering - or being dwarfed by a really big dress and having the excess pinned - also not flattering.

Another way to go could be to try on dresses that aren't specifically designed to be wedding dresses. They seem to have more styles (and obviously more colors if you don't want to go with traditional white) in cocktail dresses, ballgowns, bridesmaids dresses, etc. You might at least get an idea of what works and what doesn't (if you don't have a style in mind already), and you might find something you really love. Probably cheaper, too.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:22 am UTC

Doubleposting for NEW SHOES!

For some reason I always thought that the ankle boot thing would be kind of silly-looking on me, and only the kind of girl who could pull off...um...things *besides* jeans and a tshirt would look good in them.
They are so wonderful and look so great on me!
637994.jpeg
637994.jpeg (13.69 KiB) Viewed 7565 times

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:56 am UTC

Those are fantastic, Sarah. I didn't mean to come off as antagonist or anything, I'm really sorry, I just thought Mocha was getting one experience relayed, which is great, and then so many people agreed with you she might think no-one thinks an off-the-shelf option was worth trying. Didn't feel you were saying off-the-shelf was bad or anything like that.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:47 am UTC

I love ankle boots but my ankles are too skinny to wear them. They just wobble about and make me look really unstable and silly. My mum and my sister have the same problem. It's a shame because those boots are gorgeous and there are so many nice ankle boots that I would love to be able to wear.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:41 am UTC

I have always avoided ankle boots, but I have realised recently (as I have been admiring the ones a girl I work with wears most days) that I am not sure there is any particular reason for this, and it is in fact limiting my boot options more than probably necessary. I think when I go shopping (either today or tomorrow) I will try some on for once and see how they look on me...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:50 am UTC

PicSar, those are marvellous.

I'd really like to find a flattering pair of those ankle-height Doc Marten/Granny Weatherwax type boots that seem to be really popular all of a sudden.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:10 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:...Granny Weatherwax type boots...

Wait, what?

(feeling so confused and ignorant about boots right now ;) )

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:45 am UTC

Oh, I just call them that because they remind me of the Pratchett character.

Sort of a cross between
Spoiler:
and
Spoiler:
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:04 pm UTC

Like this?
Spoiler:

Also, does anyone here have any experience with roller-derby?

Some people I know have invited me to join them in forming our country's first roller derby team and while it seems fun it also looks like a very good way for me to get even more injuries.We'll also be starting from scratch, I think the person who knows most about it here has most of their knowledge from movies and wikipedia (which is why I'm highly skeptical to the whole endeavor), so I'd like to know stuff like what kind of equipment is needed? What facilities are required? Any tips/tricks? Common injuries and if anyone's got any particular experiences or something else they'd like to tell me about it? Anything really would be useful as we don't have this sport here and I know nothing about it except what wikipedia tells me.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

crowey

Postby crowey » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

on the topic of boots, I want these: clicky but they're being sods and saying my address isn't a real address. LIES.

I don't know anything about roller derby first hand, but I know a few people on another forum I use do it, shall I copypasta your question over there?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

crowey wrote:I don't know anything about roller derby first hand, but I know a few people on another forum I use do it, shall I copypasta your question over there?

Oh, that'd be awesome, or alternatively just give me a link and I'll ask myself if it's a bother?

they/them/theirs

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Also, does anyone here have any experience with roller-derby?

Some people I know have invited me to join them in forming our country's first roller derby team and while it seems fun it also looks like a very good way for me to get even more injuries.We'll also be starting from scratch, I think the person who knows most about it here has most of their knowledge from movies and wikipedia (which is why I'm highly skeptical to the whole endeavor), so I'd like to know stuff like what kind of equipment is needed? What facilities are required? Any tips/tricks? Common injuries and if anyone's got any particular experiences or something else they'd like to tell me about it? Anything really would be useful as we don't have this sport here and I know nothing about it except what wikipedia tells me.

I've got a couple of friends who participate over here. I can either pass on some contact details or specific questions should you so desire. One of them is, IIRC, a member of the Uni Skate club Committee, so should be pretty knowledgable.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

crowey

Postby crowey » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

I'll post it now, but if you're interested it's http://thenewlushforum.proboards.com it's a forum that emerged out of the death of another, so while it's not cliquey or anything (everyone is lovely), it's probably a bit odd for newbies :wink:

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

RoadieRich wrote:I've got a couple of friends who participate over here. I can either pass on some contact details or specific questions should you so desire. One of them is, IIRC, a member of the Uni Skate club Committee, so should be pretty knowledgable.

My main questions are:
What gear is necessary to even get started?
Suggestions for a good place to order gear? (International shipping is a must).
What kind of facilities are absolutely necessary to have available?
Is there any chance in hell that it's possible to learn this without having someone who knows what they are doing teach you? (We've got the Internet at our disposal ofc, but that's about it.)
crowey wrote:I'll post it now, but if you're interested it's http://thenewlushforum.proboards.com it's a forum that emerged out of the death of another, so while it's not cliquey or anything (everyone is lovely), it's probably a bit odd for newbies :wink:

Thanks, registered so I can check out what replies come in :)

they/them/theirs

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

Sounds like you may have all the help you need at the moment, but I know a couple people that manage Derby teams (one of them is also an rpg designer, so doubly awesome), so if you think that might help let me know and I can probably get you in touch with one or both of them.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

Thank you everyone. It's been hard, but you've helped a bit.

Also: shoes = awesome :)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl, those are awesome indeed. And Granny Weatherwax boots is a pretty cool name for them!

crickets

Postby crickets » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:19 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Oh, I just call them that because they remind me of the Pratchett character.

Sort of a cross between
Spoiler:
and
Spoiler:

Sidenote: I own the second pair. They are very, very, VERY VERY slippery to walk in. The soles are made of smooth, shiny plastic. They're comfortable and all, if you're walkin down the street, but on tile floor (like in, say, a mall), it gets scary. That'll be a problem for any Funtasma by Pleaser boots, as they're supposed to be for costume despite the fact that I WANT THOSE IN REAL BOOTS.

Damn plastic.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Also, does anyone here have any experience with roller-derby?

Jason, my friend wrote:That sounds pretty much how the Nottingham Roller derby teams started out (info from wikipedia and movies) but luckily they found people who knew how to teach them how to skate.

There is quite a lot of information on youtube and http://wftda.com/roller-derby has the official rules but here is a brief description:

2 teams skate around an oval track in a pack all bunched up together.

Each team has a jammer and their aim is to lap the pack before the other teams jammer. The pack try to stop them getting through using shoulder barging etc (although elbows have to be kept in at all times). Once one jammer has lapped the pack that round is over and each team scores a point for each member of the oposing team their jammer lapped and then they start again.

I would guess knee injuries are probably the most common

In a bit of a rush at the moment so I will give a proper reply later.

I'm waiting on a response to your specific questions now.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

crickets wrote:
GraphiteGirl wrote:Oh, I just call them that because they remind me of the Pratchett character.

Sort of a cross between
Spoiler:
and
Spoiler:

Sidenote: I own the second pair. They are very, very, VERY VERY slippery to walk in. The soles are made of smooth, shiny plastic. They're comfortable and all, if you're walkin down the street, but on tile floor (like in, say, a mall), it gets scary. That'll be a problem for any Funtasma by Pleaser boots, as they're supposed to be for costume despite the fact that I WANT THOSE IN REAL BOOTS.

Damn plastic.

Impractical for boots! Sounds like they would be traction-free on a wet or icy surface too. Which is fairly lame considering I, at least, buy boots for the purpose of walking in snow.

Can you take something like that to a... I dunno, are there cobblers these days? Can you take it to a cobbler to get it re-soled?
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

crickets wrote:

Sort of a cross between
Spoiler:
and
Spoiler:

Damn plastic.

http://www.office.co.uk/womens/office/k ... /1?fs=9218
dunno if these shoes are grippy, probably not, looking at them...

deerie

Postby deerie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

Some shoe stores sell adhesive pads that you stick to the bottom of your shoes. The side that hits the ground is rougher and has traction. I bought some from ALDO and have been happy with them. I'm not sure where else they're sold. And you usually have to attach them before you wear the shoes or the bottom will get dirty and won't stick to the pad.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:31 am UTC

I need to rant a little bit about reproductive health in general.

I want to go off of my birth control. Again. Reasons for this include:
1) I want to see if my periods will go back to normal after having lost roughly 20 pounds. Is 20 pounds enough to kill the PCOS?
2) I feel like my lack of continued weight loss might be because of the birth control.
3) It lowers my sex drive.
4) It lowers my natural lubrication for sexytime functions.
5) I am just sick of giving my body fake hormones. I want it to just do its thing.

I am extremely trepidatious about going off of my birth control. Reasons for this include:
1) I DON'T want to get pregnant. I don't think I can, but as soon as I tempt fate (I view using only condoms as tempting fate, because I'm paranoid like that), I feel like I'll get pregnant.
2) Every time I go off of birth control, I get 5-6 months of normal periods and then everything goes crazy and I bleed indefinitely until I go back on it.
3) I think my birth control is helping keep my skin nice and keeping me from having a moustache and goatee.
4) Uh, pretty nervous about that pregnancy thing.

Also, I don't know what things I'm hoping will get better if I quit my birth control are due to stress. My job is...pretty intensely stressful these days, and I'm also in school half-time and shooting weddings on the side. I don't sleep if I'm not medicated, I go on junk food binges and I'm nauseous all the time, and lately I've been having crying spells. I've been on the NuvaRing on and off since 2007. Somehow I don't think I can blame it all on that. :(

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:36 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I need to rant a little bit about reproductive health in general.

1) I want to see if my periods will go back to normal after having lost roughly 20 pounds. Is 20 pounds enough to kill the PCOS?
2) I feel like my lack of continued weight loss might be because of the birth control.
5) I am just sick of giving my body fake hormones. I want it to just do its thing.

I am extremely trepidatious about going off of my birth control. Reasons for this include:
1) I DON'T want to get pregnant. I don't think I can, but as soon as I tempt fate (I view using only condoms as tempting fate, because I'm paranoid like that), I feel like I'll get pregnant.
2) Every time I go off of birth control, I get 5-6 months of normal periods and then everything goes crazy and I bleed indefinitely until I go back on it.
3) I think my birth control is helping keep my skin nice and keeping me from having a moustache and goatee.

Also, I don't know what things I'm hoping will get better if I quit my birth control are due to stress. My job is...pretty intensely stressful these days, and I'm also in school half-time and shooting weddings on the side. I don't sleep if I'm not medicated, I go on junk food binges and I'm nauseous all the time, and lately I've been having crying spells. I've been on the NuvaRing on and off since 2007. Somehow I don't think I can blame it all on that. :(

Have you talked to your doc about a non-hormonal method? Like a copper IUD or diaphragm? This might alleviate some of your concerns (like pregnancy) while still allowing you to test if the pill is preventing you from losing weight.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:40 am UTC

I did have a copper IUD last year, before I was diagnosed with PCOS (and for a few months after). I ditched it after the bleeding-indefinitely part set in and I had no insurance, so I had to have it removed (Planned Parenthood wouldn't give me hormonal BC to fix it because I already had a form of BC, so they'd only give me the NuvaRing if they yanked the Paragard). I don't think I would have the IUD ever again, because it increased the severity and duration of the cramps and the flow by at least double. My body was never truly relaxed the entire time I had it in. I might look into diaphragms, but from what I've read, they are less effective than condoms. So we'll probably just stick with condoms if I decide to go for it. I suppose we could double up and use a diaphragm AND condoms.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:45 am UTC

Bleh, I'm sorry. I can't really think of any alternatives other than those 2 :(

I actually just went off of my bc myself, since I'm no longer in a relationship and potential pregnancy isn't a worry. It changes the smell (makes it worse) and consistency (makes it gooier) and frequency (makes more) of my lubricant. I freaking HATE smelling myself when I'm just sitting around at home or work--which has gone away now, fortunately. However, I too wish there was a good replacement for the side benefits of hormonal bc. Because I have a pimple now and I never get pimples. And I hate having a period every month. And chin fuzz :(

My sympathies go with you!

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:56 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I need to rant a little bit about reproductive health in general.

Well, if you go off it then at least you would have 5-6 months to see how it changes your moods and skin and whatnot? If nothing there changes, at least you've SCIENCE'd it and can make a more informed decision.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

Argh; sorry if it's unhelpful to be so negative after your post PicSarah but I need to vent and you just reminded me of how much I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate my skin right now and my little mustache and my pre-menstrual aggressiveness and general emotional mayhem since I've been off BC.

But mostly the skin. I used to be able to think of myself as sort of pretty even if I'm overweight but when my face is covered in this shit I just shudder at my reflection. This is just what a depressed fat girl with low self esteem needs!

And no babies for the troubles. Yet; I'm not giving up, just.... blah.

Fucking fucked up body.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

Here to rant about acne in general. I haven't been on BC for years now, so it's not that. But I used to entertain fantasies as a teenager about some magical future time when I was adult and all the puberty hormones would be gone and my skin would be clear! And now I exfoliate and do treatments and stay hydrated and do everything right, and I still have giant massive zits - the kind that feel like they go down to the bone, the ones that turn into giant disgusting whiteheads, the kind that leave permanent scars - on my cheeks. The rest of my body shaped up nicely. Why can't my face get with the program?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:01 pm UTC

That sounds exactly like me, except birth control once fixed mine, but then it came back, almost worse than before. My increased dosage hasn't seemed to do anything yet, but I'm still hoping... I hate hate hate the scarring. The acne I used to get didn't do that, but this stuff has, and now, even if I had no zits, my skin will still be splotchy. It depresses me to know I'll never have that smooth beautiful skin I always dream of.

Boyfriend says he doesn't mind it, and that it'll go away on its own in a few years. But I mind it. And it's hard to believe it'll go away in a few years, since I've had it for so long. I'm getting to the age where everyone else is growing out of their acne, but my is sticking around... My self-esteem would be infinitely higher if it weren't for my skin.

[/whiny rant]

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

Yeah, I've been waiting since 18 for it to go away in "a few years." Hasn't yet. I just had a huge breakout for no discernable reason (I've been drinking lots of water, exercising, taking vitamins)...I just don't get it.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

My girlfriend has similar acne issues. In fact, she's considering going back on birth control to help with the acne.

*hugs podbay* I wish I could help. My acne went away with HRT.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Return to “General”