[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

semicharmed

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby semicharmed » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:
Spoiler:
My libido is back! Like...really. I didn't realize it had left. I was still having fairly regular sex, but it has become much more regular, much more fun, I am more easily turned on, produce much more natural lube, and most importantly, no pain! I don't know how long it's been since I've had sex with *no* pain. Don't get me wrong, the sex was still very much worth having, but I was always pretty sore afterwards, even with lube. The only problems now are that my sex drive has become a bit of a distraction at times, and also that we're only using condoms. I'm a little afraid of only using condoms, but so far we haven't had a problem with them (although I hate the pause in the proceedings that is required to put them on).

NuvaRing, right?
Because that sounds like exactly what happened when I stopped using it, including the pain part. I didn't realize anything was wrong - chalked a lot of things up to stress - and then my first Shark Week without, wham!

Which is why I opted for the ParaGard over the Mirena, having another source of hormones that close to the ladybits didn't sound like a good idea, and it's a lot harder/more expensive to switch IUDs than it is to stop using the NuvaRing.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:54 am UTC

That's all exactly what happened when I went off Nuvaring too. Luckily, my Mirena hasn't given me any such problems.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

My womanly, cyclical, body function that has me living in 4-6 hour increments (when I can take the next dose of pain meds), know oh-so-affectionately as shark week, is eminent.

Thank Maud I still have left over Halloween chocolate. :roll:

That is all.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:13 am UTC

tonight i will not take a pill
hopefully i will have Shark Week tomorrow
last month i had Shark Week for maybe a day tops
i didn't really count it, but tests said i should
still worried
hope i get it tomorrow.
ImageImageImageImageImage

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:13 am UTC

I don't know if Stayceyann Chin performing "Feminist or Womanist" has been shared yet in this thread, but even if it has I'm sure there are people who haven't seen it and should!
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:34 am UTC

fist_of_agreement.jpg
fist_of_agreement.jpg (5.15 KiB) Viewed 4963 times
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

deerie

Postby deerie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:38 am UTC

lanicita wrote:I don't know if Stayceyann Chin performing "Feminist or Womanist" has been shared yet in this thread, but even if it has I'm sure there are people who haven't seen it and should!

General violence-against-women trigger warning on that, though.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:13 pm UTC

I feel the need to relink this because this is how I feel right now, in spite of midol. (Thank you for originally linking it, sophy)

Stupid biology making this not fun time...

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

So glad I have not had motherfucking shitball cramps for a long time. Senior year of high school probably. Maybe freshman year of college. Those were the "take 1200 mg of ibuprofen in an hour and cry like a baby" days...

That is a fantastic comic.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

Not to change the topic, but...

I finally find jeans that I like. They are obscenely tight yet fit comfortably at the hip, make my ass look fantastic, are super comfy, and have no freaking pockets. Like there are pockets but they're tiny. Like won't even fit my cell phone tiny. What the fuck designers? :x
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 am UTC

I have noticed that girl pants rarely have good pockets. This is frustrating, since I have stuff I want to put in my pockets without it falling out or gouging a hole in my leg, like keys.

Silly designers, not thinking about practicality...

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:21 am UTC

mochafairy wrote:I have noticed that girl pants rarely have good pockets. This is frustrating, since I have stuff I want to put in my pockets without it falling out or gouging a hole in my leg, like keys.

I think this is collusion with the handbag/purse/whatever industry, honestly.

And yes, it is annoying as all goddamned get out.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:23 am UTC

I don't mind about pockets, since generally the jeans that look good on me are pretty tight and there wouldn't be much room to put anything in a pocket without unpleasantly stretching either the material or the silhouette the garment creates.

It's nice that winter is coming on and now I get compensatory pockets in my coats, though.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:24 am UTC

That reminds me, I need to get me some cargo trousers!
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:39 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I don't mind about pockets, since generally the jeans that look good on me are pretty tight and there wouldn't be much room to put anything in a pocket without unpleasantly stretching either the material or the silhouette the garment creates.

It's nice that winter is coming on and now I get compensatory pockets in my coats, though.

Yes, and certainly there's some value in aesthetics, but I resent that the issue is virtually omnipresent in women's clothing, to the point where you almost *can't* choose function over form, whereas for men it seems to only pop up in formal attire.

In other news: I enjoy being a sulkypot. :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:29 am UTC

Sandry wrote:
mochafairy wrote:I have noticed that girl pants rarely have good pockets. This is frustrating, since I have stuff I want to put in my pockets without it falling out or gouging a hole in my leg, like keys.

I think this is collusion with the handbag/purse/whatever industry, honestly.

And yes, it is annoying as all goddamned get out.

I hate it. My wallet has my keys and a chain attached and they don't fit in my pocket. And it looks kind of masculine hanging out.

So I basically spend five minutes stuffing it in there every time I get out of the car.

deerie

Postby deerie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:19 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:
I hate it. My wallet has my keys and a chain attached and they don't fit in my pocket. And it looks kind of masculine hanging out.

So I basically spend five minutes stuffing it in there every time I get out of the car.

But if you then want to walk up steps two at a time with stuff in your pockets, forget it, because most reasonably-tight jeans will awkwardly cram cell phone/keys/wallet against your legs.

The fact that this is all a giant scheme to get us to buy Mary-Poppins purses to compensate has been mentioned before in this thread, right?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:57 am UTC

So hey, folks...

li53wkrb.gif
li53wkrb.gif (46.57 KiB) Viewed 4706 times

Do we want a Woman Thread Secret Santa this year, or are we okay with joining the main Secret Santa in General?

If you'll totally participate in a WTSS this year, please PM me with a YES PLEASE by, let's say, next Tuesday the 16th of November. If I have enough Yes votes by then, I'll ask you to send me your name and address and to fill out a set of questions that will help your Santa find something nifty for you.

I'd like to have all the assignments done by the Friday after that Tuesday (the 19th), so be prompt! This exchange will be open to anyone who hangs around this thread and loves the people who post here.

Okay? Okay. Let's get on this, sisters and brothers!
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:15 am UTC

deerie wrote:The fact that this is all a giant scheme to get us to buy Mary-Poppins purses to compensate has been mentioned before in this thread, right?

I gave up and just use a messenger bag. I actually have a smaller purse that I carry around in my messenger bag for if I'm running out from work to go get lunch or something, and don't want to carry everything with me, only the important stuff like phone/credit cards.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
deerie wrote:The fact that this is all a giant scheme to get us to buy Mary-Poppins purses to compensate has been mentioned before in this thread, right?

I gave up and just use a messenger bag. I actually have a smaller purse that I carry around in my messenger bag for if I'm running out from work to go get lunch or something, and don't want to carry everything with me, only the important stuff like phone/credit cards.

I got a messenger bag pattern and some nice fabric, and I'm looking to get this going in my... distinct lack of spare time. But I will do it! At some point! And then I will be really pleased.

The sad thing here? Initially I wanted to do this project because it was warm and I was wearing a lot of skirts with no pockets at all. Now it's maybe forty degrees for most days. Procrastination, you slay me.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:18 pm UTC

I got a new bag last month (because mine decided to break) and it was painfully expensive (£30, when I'd normally spend nearer a tenner), but it is amazing. It is precisely large enough to fit my laptop in its sleeve for when I go to lectures, but not so big that it's excessive for daily use. It will be a while before I build up my full stockpile of everything I could ever possibly need, but it will definitely happily hold it all once I do.

Also, I ordered some perfume samples from Lush, because they appear to have stopped making the one I wear (and I've got a bit bored of it), and I have pretty much fallen in love with the one I'm trying today. It's called 'The Smell of Weather Turning', and it is amazing and I keep sniffing myself. Plus the sample is actually going to last me a decent length of time, I think. I got two other samples, and one I am not a fan of at all (though I may try it anyway and see if it smells any better on me, but I may not as if it doesn't I will be trying to avoid smelling myself all day), and one that I think I quite like, but probably not as much as this one. One of my flatmates mentioned she was thinking of trying a new perfume, though, so I might see if she's interested in either of them...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:I got a messenger bag pattern and some nice fabric, and I'm looking to get this going in my... distinct lack of spare time. But I will do it! At some point! And then I will be really pleased.

The sad thing here? Initially I wanted to do this project because it was warm and I was wearing a lot of skirts with no pockets at all. Now it's maybe forty degrees for most days. Procrastination, you slay me.
I have a messenger bag without a strap, which I have made. It's been at this stage since...July? Part procrastination, part work. For some unknown reason, winter makes me want to write rather than sew :?
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:12 am UTC

Winter? What winter?

...oh, right, there is weather in places that aren't San Francisco. Forgot about that.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:48 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:Winter? What winter?

...oh, right, there is weather in places that aren't San Francisco. Forgot about that.

There's weather there!

(You can't forget the chilly summer days :P )

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:56 am UTC

they have more summer than hawaii does. when i was there when i was 9 for thanksgiving, i wore all my clothes the whole weekend.
i had enough clothes to wear two layers for three days and i just wore them all all the time.
(and then i was smart and played in a fountain)

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:49 am UTC

Ooooh, things with pockets!!! I totally agree with you in your resentment of the pocket issues Sandry - it's really not cool. Was absolutely stoked when a friend gave me an old dress of hers that, in addition to being freaking gorgeous, has HUGE pockets which don't interrupt the aesthetic qualities at all. Yay for good designers. It's a little black dress but kind of baggy at the front... hard to explain, and I don't have any pics of it to post! The current jean pockets that are considered fashionable for women mean that every time I sit down I have to empty my pockets to avoid cellphones digging in and eftpos cards getting bent. It's outright poos, and functionality really needs to be more seriously considered.

Excitement about the possibility of another Secret Santa though. I ended up using the gorgeous notebook I got from GraphiteGirl last year to write down all the interesting and beautiful (or just plain fun) parts of my day, it's really great to look back on, and I think it's a fitting use for such a beautiful notebook, to fill it with beautiful things.

Anyway, apologies about the ridiculously long post, but what I really came to post about was BIKINI WAXING:
Spoiler:
Three separate friends have recently told me they're going to get a professional bikini wax (yay summer...) & I've been invited to go along with a couple of them. I'm interested, and Boy is keen for me to get it done, but in addition to the cost I have a slight issue - I have never waxed ANYTHING. Firmly been a razor girl. So I'm scared. Friends don't have any/much experience either. I've done a little xkcd search, with a number of wonderful Woman's Thread results (such as the following) but still need some advice!
Bikini waxing. First time ever. I have to say, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. There were only two or three yanks that I really yelled for, the rest of them were just winces, about the same as ripping off a bandaid.

1) I'm afraid I really don't find the above post particularly reassuring "only two or three that I really yelled for"?! Ye gods, how many yanks does it take, and if I'm getting it done professionally how do I get away with yelling at all? :? The 2 girls I'd be going with have tattoos and the like. My pain experience is having my (non-cartilage) ears pierced. No tatts, no cramps, no nothing. And I'm a wimp. Is it even plausible for me to get this done?
2) Moo has in the past mentioned exfoliating daily after a wax - is this only to prevent ingrown hairs? Doesn't it kinda hurt after a wax?
3) Painkillers an hour beforehand. What's good for all round pain like that - Panadol? Nurofen?
4) How long do your hairs need to be? I'm not sure I want to grow a forest, and would be embarrassed about having a forest, but I'm guessing you need some length for it to pull on?
5) How much does a bikni wax really remove? Just the areas right next to where it might show? How much worse (pain/price/underwear-removal-dignity) would it be too get a landing-strip wax instead?
6) How awkward is it letting a super-manicured salon person down there? I'm OK with doctors, cause they see all kinds of stuff, but I dunno... this freaks me out a little...

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:30 pm UTC

Oh, I can help with some of that, but not all:
Plasmic-Turtle wrote:2) Moo has in the past mentioned exfoliating daily after a wax - is this only to prevent ingrown hairs? Doesn't it kinda hurt after a wax?

It will, but only probably for the next hour or so it'll be a little raw. You'll probably want to jump in the shower soon after anyway for getting rid of bits of wax left over (unless you don't mind your pants being stuck to you all day) but I'd say start exfoliating the next day, rather than the same day.
Plasmic-Turtle wrote:4) How long do your hairs need to be?
About a centimetre is safe. Much less than a half centimetre will probably not work reliably. There is kind of a sweet length at which the pain is not as bad and the hairs come out nice and easy but I think it varies depending on whereabouts in the body. You don't need to grow wild!

crickets

Postby crickets » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

Random pocket story:

So i bought this coat. It has decorative pocket flaps, but they were sewn down, and so i assumed that there were no pockets. I proceeded to go on a crazy-person-style rant about how i hate not having pockets.

Two days later, i realized the pockets were actually just behind the decorative flaps, so the flap is the front edge of the pocket, not covering it.

I am SO SMART. *facepalm*
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

i get waxed regularily and am a huge supporter of it
Plasmic-Turtle wrote:1) I'm afraid I really don't find the above post particularly reassuring "only two or three that I really yelled for"?! Ye gods, how many yanks does it take, and if I'm getting it done professionally how do I get away with yelling at all? :? The 2 girls I'd be going with have tattoos and the like. My pain experience is having my (non-cartilage) ears pierced. No tatts, no cramps, no nothing. And I'm a wimp. Is it even plausible for me to get this done?
I'm going to say if you can pierce your cartilage you can get it done. for me the bikini area is about the least painful, unless you are getting a brazillian. also, don't worry about screaming, a lot of people do their first time. I didn't, but my waxist related to me how surprising that is.
2) Moo has in the past mentioned exfoliating daily after a wax - is this only to prevent ingrown hairs? Doesn't it kinda hurt after a wax?
I exfoliate all the god damn time because i am so prone to ingrown hairs, especially with waxing, but if you keep it up, it's fine.
3) Painkillers an hour beforehand. What's good for all round pain like that - Panadol? Nurofen?
i never actually remember to take one so i can't help here

4) How long do your hairs need to be? I'm not sure I want to grow a forest, and would be embarrassed about having a forest, but I'm guessing you need some length for it to pull on?
centimeter is good advice, any thing longer than half an inch is unnecisary, and also will start to hurt more. leverage and all that.
5) How much does a bikni wax really remove? Just the areas right next to where it might show? How much worse (pain/price/underwear-removal-dignity) would it be too get a landing-strip wax instead?
it removes the areas that your bikini shows. if you want a landing strip that is a type of a brazillian and i think is generaly about 20-30$ more. it hurts a good bit more, but feels awesome afterwards. also the pain is for a split seond. it really is like ripping off a band aid. OW and then it's gone. you would have to remove your underwear, but you will be alone in a room with this woman, and she's seen a million other vaginas, yours will be nothing interesting. it's like seeing the gyno. actually my fave waxist examines me more than my gyno sometimes i feel to make sure she gets every hair. landing strip would be a less painful choice because around the clit hurts a good deal. it's sensitive, but it's still not too bad.
6) How awkward is it letting a super-manicured salon person down there? I'm OK with doctors, cause they see all kinds of stuff, but I dunno... this freaks me out a little...[/spoiler]like i said above, it's actually really similar to your gyno. she's seen a ton, she knows what she's doing and if you don't act awkward it won't be.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:32 am UTC

I was going to post then forgot what I was going to say then I remembered then I forgot hehhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Comic link = awesome I laughed out loud and i'm in a room full of dudes at the Wessex club hut and I decided not to explain what I had found funny lol
Secret Santa = yes poxic sign me up!
Eww wtf = why am I spotting? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I had long nutty shark week only 10 days ago. It's not time yet. ITS NOT TIME YET BODY AND I DIDN'T BRING ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE FEW EMERGENCY STUFFS I ALWAYS HAVE IN MY PURSE AND BACKPACK GRRRR RAGE ARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and I have no mode of transport to get to a store to get anything and Im in the middle of nowhere and RAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE why is the IUD acting up on me now? now of all times? after 4 months of bliss WHY FUCKING ACT UP NOW?!?!? (can you tell i'm pissed off about this? couldn't be worse timing. In a cave hut with about 20 GUYS, no modes of public transport and I sure as heck don't want to ask random dudes for a lift to a store that is a long way out of where we are located for tampons! Hoping it stays slow enough that the 3 backup tampons and coupla dayliners with me last until Tuesday when I'm up in Blackpool visiting Jesse and Screature which would be my first change to get to a store...hopefully one of them won't mind taking me :P )

Oh and dude last night who was overly drunk and hitting on me. Fuck off. You do that again and I might not be able to resist putting you in your place. I only didn't since you were completely drunk and an apologetic one...kept apologizing for bothering me and making me uncomfortable even though you didn't seem to understand how to stop. You're lucky for your apologetic drunkness - its the only thing that saved you. And today you've not said word to me other than normal plesantries so I think you don't remember shit from last night.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Not awesome: I hate not knowing when Shark Week's going to be, and naturally it's here now that I'm travelling around England and staying with lots of random people.

BUT awesome to make up for it: look at my new bag of awesomeness!
bag.jpg
bag.jpg (10.6 KiB) Viewed 4188 times
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

Woo floppybag!

Sungura wrote:And today you've not said word to me other than normal plesantries so I think you don't remember shit from last night.

This one of the reasons why I don't drink. The thought of not remembering things I've done terrifies me.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:14 pm UTC

Awesome bag, moo!

And yeah, I drink some sometimes but usually only one thing...I'm not much a drinker so eh. I like daqueris and margaritas and if I'm in the mood cider but yeah. I'll have like, half of one, or one, and that's enough. I don't even get to tipsy on that.

Apparently, that dude annoys everyone, and when I mentioned to a few I wanted to punch him last night they all said I should've - he would have gone and curled up in a corner sheepishly then. Oh well. Now I know for this guy in this group of people, that would have been a fine reaction because others I guess wanted to as well, heh.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

existential_elevator and suffer-cait: thank you SO much for your replies. They are brilliantly helpful. Apparently my friend just got her's done yesterday cause there's a special on at a place in town, $50 this November rather than the usual $70... talk about not giving me much time to decide!

And Moo - that bag is very very cool. Did you find it somehwere along your English travels? Though it does look a little awkward, I can't imagine that floppy disks would be particularly flexible? (Well, not in bag terms anyway, and those look like the smaller ones that I was still using as a teen, rather than the giant floppy truly old-school ones!). That sucks about Shark Week, I hope by some amazing luck all the randoms you stay with have toilet rubbish bins should you need them, and dark bed-sheets! If only all houses were so accommodating, Shark Weeks would be far less stressful.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:46 am UTC

GAHHH! I was at SFMOMA today to see the Henri Cartier-Bresson exhibit (photography). Towards the end in a section marked beauty there is a photograph of a reclining nude woman. I'm looking at the piece and from behind me I hear a young girl saying several times "Oh my god. That's disgusting!".
It made me wonder what she had been taught that made the female body so repugnant to her. I understand that photos of naked people can be shocking to people who aren't expecting them but this was a really strong reaction. I dunno. Just felt like sharing that.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:19 am UTC

I knew a girl who's mom scolded her for looking at herself in the mirror when she was a child.
Shit's fucked up, yo.

...incidentally, the mom is a terrible role model. Think of the mom in American Beauty, but botoxed, fake-tanned, more self-centered, and every other flaw magnified.
uhhhh fuck.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:GAHHH! I was at SFMOMA today

Wait, you're in SF? We totally need to say hi sometime. I work about a block from the SF MOMA.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 am UTC

Woman thread rant, in two parts:
i.
Bra shopping is diabolical. It would seem that I am only very slightly too large or too small or too possessed of side-breast for every bra that is allegedly approximately my size. Going to need to head to a specialty shop.
ii.
And shoes - not actually all that much better. How is it this difficult to find flat shoes with some form of arch support and comfortable lining/shaping in a fashionable colour and shape? Could have sworn the whole point of flats was meant to be that they were better for your feet. When I want to know the cobblestones of every back alley of my hometown through my soles, I'll call Sam Vimes, not the local Nine West.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:26 am UTC

Hello Woman Thread!

It's my first post here and I come bearing a cautionary tale.

For the last couple of weeks my lady bits have been a bit unsettled - sort of like nausea, only in my uterus (or the same place that I always feel cramps anyway), and spotting. At first I thought I was just imagining things after reading so many stories about people having womanly problems in this thread, but spotting a week after Shark Week was a bit of a giveaway (I'm on the pill and usually only get spotting if I take too many packets in a row without a break).

Fortunately, I remembered that my boyfriend had recently bought some new herbal supplement type things that I'd been taking. So I went and googled all the ingredients and lo and behold! It turns out they included something called saw palmetto which Medline Plus says interferes with estrogen, and may decrease the effectiveness of contraceptive pills. I'd never even heard of saw palmetto before, but it is a bit of a relief to have a possibly culprit. Vague, ongoing symptoms are... unsettling.

So! If you're on the pill - watch out for saw palmetto!

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:52 pm UTC

Wow, it's damn good that you found that fizzgig! And thanks for sharing - I've never heard of palmetto. I know that St John's Wort also interferes, and is also sometimes sneaked into herbal teas and herbal supplements: my friend was reading the ingredient list of her "relaxing tea" or something similar a number of months back, and there it was, though hopefully it'd take a great deal of herbal tea to have any effect? She didn't get preggers, anywho, though she did switch herbal teas.

This makes me think of how utterly useless this 'Healthline' thing we have in our country is. It's a free phone service to call about concerns or after hours for medical advice. I once rang them up concerned about the amount of spotting I was getting whilst on the pill, as I'd never had any before despite being on the pill for over a year, and the supposed nurse didn't think to mention ANYTHING like St John's Wort or palmetto, but rather decided to read out the information booklet that comes with each pill packet out to me. Shit woman, I CAN read you know! She seemed to know absolutely nothing other than what was before her on a screen she'd pulled up. The 2nd time I called them really worried about how bad an allergic reaction I was having & wanting to know at what point I should consider calling an ambulance, but apparently part of the service is to go very very slowly through your name & any previous calls whilst you're panicking, only to find out they don't really know anything about allergies either. Then on halloween my boyfriend sliced into his hand what seemed as though it could be deep, and I rang to ask about what clinics in my city are after hours and if it was safe to remove pressure to check how bad it was, but apparently once again the most important thing was to very slowly clarify my name, address, phone number, birth-date and any previous calls... Can getter better advice by far from you lot!

GraphiteGirl I know what you mean about flats!! Horrible things, my friend tells me that re-sole-ing (goodness knows how i'm meant to type that) is the norm... I really don't see why it should be, if they'd make the soles thicker than half a centimetre in the first place there wouldn't be any damn issue.

Return to “General”