[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

I am a cold person often. Poor circulation to the point that my nails often have a purple tint under them. But at night, when I am asleep, I turn into a furnace.

Magic.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Also a diversion from current topic...

...do any of you have problems being really cold? I mean, the kind of cold that comes from inside, that no amount of external warmth will heat you up or it takes insane amounts to do so. The kind where you feel like you are hypothermic sitting in a 75 degree room. Feeling so cold you can't shiver even because it takes too much energy.

I HATE IT. It seems worse when I eat, worse in the winter (even though the inside is the same temp), and worse in the mornings and late evenings/nights.

I have a really slow metabolism so maybe that is part of it? I mean, I can go days without eating because I rarely feel hungry so I forget. I am doing better these days, I remember to eat everyday enough to be about 1000-1300 calories sometimes actually more (usually on capoeira days when I'm using a lot of energy and actually feel hungry I probably hit closer to 2000). So I am now keeping things "going" but I'm still having cold problems.

Could be your sugar levels. You should get this checked out. Your body might be the type that doesn't tolerate carbs well. Try lean protein and veggies and WHOLE grain in small quantities for meals spread through the day. But you might need a doctor to tell you that... since I shouldn't be giving advice like this, but you know my qualifications. I work with a nutritionist, and work in the biological sciences in an endocrinology division where we talk a LOT about diabetes. So I think it's enough of a worry to go to the doctor and have them sort out? Okay? Heck, if you go to the endocrinologists at where you work (not the building but the area - I'm speaking kinda in code here), I work with some of them, they're good people.
Oh, right, I forgot to ask you, have you always had these symptoms? Do they occur mostly in the winter when it's cold outside? Did the symptoms increase when you changed your method of birth control? Did you have a different eating schedule before this year, because of living with others? (I have been working with doctors too long)
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

A hat helps if it is actually cold (aka outside in the snow or something) but not if there is no "reason" to be cold. And yeah my actual body temp seems to like to run around 96.5-97.5 F which is low (those not on F 98.6 is normal).

In trying to figure out causes I found Wilson's Syndrome - but I'm not really under stress or depressed or anything like that they say tends to trigger it. And I do things that are considered helpful for it already (excersize, eat more protein less carbs, eat small amounts throughout the day instead of huge meals, get good sleep) since I'm not hungry often I do tend to be "snacky" - eggs here, apple w/ peanut butter there, small wrap (i don't like bread but need something to put all the sandwich stuff into! heh), cup of tea, whatever (so, not bad snacky, just not huge meals generally.)

But still...like symptoms for Wilsons the emotional depressive/not caring/stressedout sort of stuff I dont have at all. I mean I have had stressful times but eh. But the physical stuff - slow metabolism, low body temp, feeling cold, and actually the whole coldness - I'm reading that it can explain migraines and I do tend to get migraines when I'm feeling coldest and lethargic or forget to eat. I dunno, I guess I feel like something is wrong...too many things connected that point to a thyroid problem. (Cold, sometimes lethargic, slow metabolism, cannot lose weight even with increased activity - I can gain muscle tone but I can't lose fat, migraines...shouldn't this be painting a picture that something is likely up with my thyroid???) When I asked my doc last year though they said I was "fine". Maybe because I can act fine? I have a healthy active life, afterall, and if I was really feeling those things I should be depressed and lose interest in things and all those other emotional type symptoms that I have none of?

GRRR. See if I were a doc I could just prescribe something myself and test it :P but nooooo I have to make the docs listen to me. I hate doctors. Why do I have to do their damn job for them?

OOH shro ninja hey girl :) Yes as I said small meals I stay away from carbs more protein, that helps. Yes it is worse in late fall, winter, and spring (basically whenever the temp outside is less than 70's). Nope didn't get worse when I got my IUD. I did have a different eating schedual before last May, I actually eat now, basically :P (I was so stressed basically Aug '09 through May '10 I'd often not eat and not sleep well, and now, I eat pretty good although sometimes still I forget since I don't get hungry, and I do sleep a lot better in general).
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

TheWeeklyDrivel

Postby TheWeeklyDrivel » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

All right, here I am to bring yet another problem into your midsts. I'll try to keep this short.

The issue is that I haven't menstruated in 10 months. I just got an ultrasound and a blood test; both of which showed everything to be fine. Periods are not usually regular (a couple months or so in between), but the most I've gone without one is four months. Also, I've had zero sexual activity and am around 17 years of age. My doctor told me I really don't need to menstruate unless I want to and didn't seem to be concerned herself. Could this 10-month hiatus somehow just be a normal part of my cycle or should I be worried?

Thanks, folks! And good luck to those with the surgeries going on. I hope all goes well for you. :)

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

TheWeeklyDrivel wrote:All right, here I am to bring yet another problem into your midsts. I'll try to keep this short.

The issue is that I haven't menstruated in 10 months. I just got an ultrasound and a blood test; both of which showed everything to be fine. Periods are not usually regular (a couple months or so in between), but the most I've gone without one is four months. Also, I've had zero sexual activity and am around 17 years of age. My doctor told me I really don't need to menstruate unless I want to and didn't seem to be concerned herself. Could this 10-month hiatus somehow just be a normal part of my cycle or should I be worried?

Thanks, folks! And good luck to those with the surgeries going on. I hope all goes well for you. :)
I assume the dr asked all the normal questions (are you on medication, have you lost a significant amount of weight recently etc). Here's the wiki on Amenorrhoea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amenorrhoea which...isn't really useful.

I've had doctors tell me I'm fine not having periods and that I'm not fine not having periods, there really doesn't seem like a consensus. If everything came back normal then I guess it depends on your comfort levels, if you want a second opinion, don't hesitate to go and get one :)

You can go on a birth control pill that will 'make' you have periods, but they'll be induced by the medication, not your body, if that makes sense?

OT: I may get a mooncup over the weekend, as I've been shoved on a pill that will mean I get periods. Rawr.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:13 am UTC

if you are an athlete or other-wisely have a very low fat content, that could do it. also, if you don't spend enough time inhaling, or whatever, testosterone. if you're not around enough testosterone your body figures it isn't worth the effort.
ImageImageImageImageImage

TheWeeklyDrivel

Postby TheWeeklyDrivel » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:52 am UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:I assume the dr asked all the normal questions (are you on medication, have you lost a significant amount of weight recently etc). Here's the wiki on Amenorrhoea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amenorrhoea which...isn't really useful.

Yup, my weight's been stable/healthy. The only medicine I took was for minor things like a headache every now and then. Nothing out of the ordinary took place, really. The only thing I can think of that might have affected it was my lax daily schedule and depression. Though, the depression apparently doesn't seem to be linked to a chemical imbalance, and I'm not even sure if I was depressed.

Thanks for the link. I guess it's probably Oligomenorrhea or Amenorrhoea.

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:I've had doctors tell me I'm fine not having periods and that I'm not fine not having periods, there really doesn't seem like a consensus. If everything came back normal then I guess it depends on your comfort levels, if you want a second opinion, don't hesitate to go and get one :)

You can go on a birth control pill that will 'make' you have periods, but they'll be induced by the medication, not your body, if that makes sense?

The doctor did say she could prescribe birth control pills if I wanted to have a period. Though, here's my next question(s): Is having a period necessary? Are there any downsides to not having one? I heard a prolonged absence of menstruation leads to infertility, but I'm assuming that's only because no ovulation is occurring. I suppose having regular periods would be easy to expect and deal with, too, though. Hmm...

suffer-cait: I don't have a very low fat content and I'm hardly an athlete, but the latter explanation seems possible. I spent a lot of time away from almost everyone for the most part.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:11 am UTC

I've heard of women getting pregnant because they mistook not menstruating as infertility, and weren't on birth control. I don't know how regular ovulation is, or whether you can ovulate and not menstruate.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:23 am UTC

Surgery was this morning. The pathologist did some early looking at the tissue right now and the preliminary diagnosis is Hodgkin's lymphoma. I'm waiting for the full work up of the biopsy to be sure and seeing my surgeon and my oncologist again next week, plus getting referrals to a few other oncologists (while I love mine, I can go to the best cancer hospitals in the world... I'd rather do that). If you're going to have cancer, lymphoma is the one you want to have and if you're going to have lymphoma, Hodgkin's is the one you want because it is 100% curable. My surgeon said that it should be cured within 6 months and will just be a bad dream a year from now. Of course that means 6 months of chemo, probably losing my hair, trying to figure out work and a way of making up my lost hours, and a reasonable way of getting to and from treatments (because I don't know how I'm going to feel to do a 1+ hour commute each way via public transportation).

So yeah. At least I know what I'm dealing with. I really wish it was an infection but I think I feel better now that I know what I'm dealing with versus the past 2 weeks where I was being told it could be a deep vein blood clot, a rare aggressive lymphoma, or even breast cancer.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:05 am UTC

I'm so sorry, and I wish you all the best. I wish I knew you IRL, because a hug sent over the internet loses something in transmission. Would you be uncomfortable if I offered to pray for you?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:10 am UTC

I'm thankful you know what it is now and it's treatable! I'm still so sorry that it's anything at all, and I'm very much thinking of you. Thanks for letting us know.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:56 am UTC

@charolastra: Internet *hugs* for you. I'm thinking of you, and I'm glad it's treatable.

@TheWeeklyDrivel: I was put on a minipill and didn't have a period for...a year, maybe two? and I had no side-effects that I was aware of. But, I have PCOS and so my fertility isn't guaranteed, so I'm not sure on the fertility issue. I think that ovulation and menstruation aren't necessarily mutually exclusive events, so you may ovulate with menstruating (but I may also be talking rubbish).
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Alder

Postby Alder » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:38 am UTC

More hugs for charolastra.

And a cookie - Image (It's not very tasty, but it lasts forever...)
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:22 pm UTC

charolastra, I've been reading your posts for a while but never posted because I suck at saying things. I have an aunt who dealt with what you're dealing with and she's very close to me. You're really brave. I don't know if you'd call yourself that but that's how it looks like to me. If it wouldn't be too awkward for you to accept, considering that it's coming from a total stranger then, *hug*. Good luck!
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

If you're going to have cancer, lymphoma is the one you want to have and if you're going to have lymphoma, Hodgkin's is the one you want because it is 100% curable.

My dad had Hodgkin's Lymphoma a few years ago and even though they got it *really* late 4 months of chemo and he was back on his feet and better than ever! His hair even grew back less gray!

I send you lots of hugs and love and I'll even send you treats like Sungura did for someone else if you want. Everyone's rooting for you, charolastra. <3
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:23 pm UTC

Sending more good thoughts your way charolastra. You show that cancer who's boss.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

@charolastra Next time I see you, will give you actual hugs. And to redeem my baked goods raincheck, what sort of stuff do you like? I'm not terribly confident in my cookies ability, but I can definitely make a tasty cake or bread-like thing.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

Charolastra! Positive thoughts and well wishes being sent your way! And don't think of it as losing your hair, think of it as a period in your life you experimented with hats! Please wear lots of cute hats? If you start losing your hair, I'll send you a hat.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

Oooh I will totally crochet you an awesome hat :D
*gets out angora...*
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:*gets out angora...*
Your new hat will most likely look like this:
Spoiler:

Charolastra: Unfortunately, I can't offer you any baked goods... but I'm hoping really hard that things will be better for you.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

Charolastra:
Good luck with treatment! I'm sure you will kick your cancer in the butt :) I am sending positve energy and healing thoughts your way. Stay strong and do what you can to keep a positive attitude. If you ever want to chat, just private message me :)

On another note:
I got to go back into the lab yesterday, although nothing went as planned. The experiment we ran took forever, and it just didn't work for 2 trials. Then something almost exploded :shock: and I think my lab partners want to kill me... I screwed up a solution :oops:
Just when I thought my eye was getting better, it seems to be taking a turn for the worse. My vision in my right eye is feeling limited and I can barely keep it open- even in a dark dorm room. I had a few nightmares last night, which didn't help things either. No sleep and scary eyes = missed class and a trip to the health centre when it opens. My eye can go screw itself and not enjoy it... :(
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:50 am UTC

Charolastra: so much good luck and so many hugs. Kick that cancer in the proverbial!
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel, that sucks, I'm sorry :( Try to rest and take care of yourself, ok; I dont' mean you've necessarily over exerted your eyes but if there's any chance of resting making a difference just remember, a semester can be redone.

edited to change the highly inappropriate smiley to the sad face I'd intended.
Last edited by Moo on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

Thanksgiving in February! Things I am very, very thankful about today:

1. I wore black pants to work today.
2. I am paranoid and keep all my bags stocked with tampons and pads.
3. I am paranoid and keep all my bags stocked with ibuprofen.
4. My paranoid mother, who taught me all these habits, which have saved me many times.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

I am thankful that maybe someday soon i can get my Master's and be done. Ah more and more hoops showing up to jump through.

And on a totally different topic - where do people recommend looking for good but not crazy $$ corsets? I still want one and I seem to have lost all the old websites on my previous crashed laptop from last year.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

For my Emma Frost costume I got my corset from lingeriediva.com. Being a total neophyte to the world of corsetry, I don't know if they're really any good, but I am satisfied with the corset I got from them, at a fairly reasonable price.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

crickets

Postby crickets » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

I have heard okay things about http://www.timeless-trends.com/ - their corsets are steel boned and hourglass shaped (instead of rectangle), but they don't offer a wide variety of potential lengths. None of their corsets come with modesty panels either, so it's best to get one sized a little large than you'd normally get, or be prepared to wear a chemise underneath.

I've also heard good things about http://www.versatilecorsets.com/ from my corset-wearing friends. A little more expensive, but you get more range.

The corsets linked below all appear to be plastic boned (usually if it doesn't state steel boning specifically, it's plastic), which is okay if you're getting a first time corset, but they don't offer the same level of squish, and if worn repeatedly, the bones will warp in unplesant ways. It's okay for your first corset to get a feel for things, but i've had at least two which ended up useless after a year or so.

Be prepared to spend at least 100$, unless you find one on sale. It's also better if you can find a shop and try things on, in order to decide if you want a corset with more or less hip coverage, over or underbust, and exactly what size you feel most comfortable in.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

Yeah, it probably depends on what you want the corset for. The one I got was purely for decorative costuming purposes, no practical use.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

Cycle last time: 39 days, barely any cramps, very light.
Cycle this time: 30 days, worst cramps I've had since I had my IUD, and a heavy enough flow that I've had a few tampon malfunctions (at work!) now.

I basically hate everything and want fudge. At home. Instead I have baby carrots. At work.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

Yeah I know about plastic vs steel boned. I figure steel is best hah. And yeah I was figureing it to be about $100 or so. I don't think overbust corsets would ever work unless it was custom....I'm a 38E and in reading they seem to assume C cups for those. No way is that fitting, lol. They have corset shops? Where? I've never heard of them.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

I ordered my corset for my wedding (custom made) from Desert Orchid Corsets, and I can't say enough good things about them. They were super nice and communicative, and cost less than just about any of the other custom makers I found (I know I paid under $200, and mine was an over-bust corset with a modesty panel out of dupioni silk).
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:32 am UTC

http://community.livejournal.com/corsetry/

A lot of people sell decent corsets on there -- you may keep an eye out for sales, or just for eye candy. You're more likely to find an underbust that will fit, of course(t). I'm working on my first cupped overbust and it's interesting to get right, to say the least :)

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:40 am UTC

It's been a while since I've posted anything... mostly lurking about, but I need to post this somewhere. feel free to move this if it warrants being stuck somewhere else.

Spoilered for stream of consciousness, anger, and general feelings of sucky-sucky- suckdom
Spoiler:
Seriously, brain, what the hell? I am stuck in a situation that nobody should have to be in- medical limbo. I thought my eye would get better on its own, but no...it's gotten worse. I can't function in class, I'm not allowed to go to work, and I am NOT ENJOYING anything right now. I've been trying to take this in stride for the past 2 weeks, trying to roll with the punches, trying to be a rock. I can't do it anymore. I'm turning into a useless puddle of jell-o that doesn't want to get out of bed in the morning- not because I have a "case of the Mondays" but because I don't enjoy being in class. I've lost the battle inside myself to stay positive. Everyone that I talk to keeps saying things like chin up, be strong, you've made it this far. In reality, where have the past 2 weeks put me? They've put me in a box, labelled me as different, crazy, undiagnosed, confused and hurt- not to mention nearly 2 weeks behind in my schoolwork. My mental state has deteriorated rapidly from a happy, semi-self-confident college student who wants to take on the world of chemistry into a sulky, confused, possibly depressed, frightened, angry teenager with some seriously scary nightmares. I cannot stand being around people on my hall who think that my disappearances are caused by me wanting to be rebellious and go clubbing/drinking/be stupid/etc... I'm trying to escape from the thoughts in my head and the pain of being so trapped because of a lack of a diagnosis and my feeling that people don't care about me. Right now, life is just an unbearable mess. I want out, but I don't want to be labelled as depressed or mentally different from anyone. I'm different enough from the people on my hall when I'm not ill. They are mostly extroverts, outgoing, perky most all the time, and almost all nursing majors. I'm an introvert, shy, fairly neutral in personality, and a chem major.
I try to sleep, but I can't. I have nightmares about the whole experience that won't stop. I can't look at or hear emergency vehicles without having to stop, close my eyes, and wait for the panic induced adrenalin rush to settle down. Every time I see an ambulance, I get these chills down my spine that make me feel frozen to the core. My hairs on my neck jump to attention when I hear an ambulance drive by the campus. It's been 2 weeks, and I'm utterly sick of these stupid nightmares and over-reactions.
It's frightening for me to know that I could lose a career before I've even started. There's something inherently wrong about that. What have I got to work for if I'm just gonna be blind in one eye before I finish college? What the hell could I do as a half blind chemist? Fuck it... For all of you that think I'm strong, tough, and spunky- now you've seen the side of me that I hide most of the time from those around me. I may seem tough, but right now I feel spineless- kind of like those damned amoebas that threaten to run across my field of vision. I just want to crawl into a hole and not come out...wait- I already have. Welcome to my fucked up headspace... Maybe I should take the rest of the semester off, I don't know.

I had a miserable night last night and wrote that in a fit of confused anger and pain. today was not much better... I need to keep a patch over my eye until I can see a different eye doc. I'm drifting further and further behind in my honors class, and I'm seriously wondering if I should just drop it... so much reading that I can't do. I feel like a pirate, not to mention that I look like one too. such a big pain in the ass :(

in other news not related to my eye- I may have scored a tutoring job :) it would be lower bio and chem... possibly math as well !! yay!
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

meridian

Postby meridian » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

E.xistential_squirrel : hugs if you want them, but congrats on the tutoring job!

Things I don't look forward to as a woman: buying or repairing a car.

The snow storms in Boston have done a number on my car, mainly by getting it stuck on some pretty nasty slick surfaces. It now makes grinding/rubbing noises and is leaking power steering fluid. Joyously, my heating system blower decided to die too. The first mechanic I tool the car to under recommendation gave me a cost of repairs that was equal to the worth of my car. It is a 13 year old vehicle. This isn't completely outside the realm of possibilities.

Problem is that the work I have coupled with the commuter rail in our area is now eating up 12-13 hours of my day, taking me away from my dog and all 'extra curricular' activities. I have to have a car again. I can't be without karate and
ASL, and not being able to give dog exercise for that long is making me a bad person. I could just give up the job and hope for a local temp assignment, but the passive aggressive nature of my agency makes me afraid to do so.

So I need a car. Ugh. I hate having to deal with mechanics as I was raised to believe that they are all ripping me off due to my ovaries. Buying another car seems like just as much of a hassle.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel, I'm so sorry to hear that your eye is getting worse instead of better. You can be half-blind (or a blind) chemist. Hopefully, you won't have to be: hopefully you will get out of this medical limbo with your eyesight intact. It's okay to be weak and lonely and terrified. You are dealing with an extremely disruptive situation, and you don't have to be strong. You just have to survive to get the other end of this (with disrupted or with normal vision), to a place where you can build your future with whatever obstacles you have.

There is software that reads to you. You can get this software running on your computer right now, and there are also devices (and software for mobile phones, even) that take pictures of text, convert it into digital text, and read it out loud to you. I'm guessing that you already touch type, so you can write without being able to see (although watching the text as you type it certainly helps, you can have software read what you've typed back to you so that you can correct errors). Listening to spoken word is not as fast as reading, but there are other options as well, including learning braille (and there are electronic devices that present a line of braille text at a time, and refresh for the next line). You don't need your eyes for words, even for stored words.

Figuring out what works for you will take time, after your doctors figure out what's wrong with you. Or after they don't: a very disturbing percentage of serious illnesses are of "unknown etiology" - nobody ever figures out what caused them. You can do your best to try to help the doctors figure out what's wrong with you, but you're also trying to attend classes with a brand new, still changing disability, and you've got the horror of the unknown and the loss of what you expected to deal with. It might very well make the most sense to take this semester off: not because it's worthless being a half-blind chemist, but because if you're going to be a half-blind chemist, you have to learn how to deal with your not-working eye before you can really pay attention in class.

Are your doctors worried that this might be a brain injury and you need to rest your brain? Or, as long as you aren't using your eyes (or, even your bad eye), is it perfectly safe to do as much work as you can? Why can't you read with one eye, now that you've got the eye patch?

I know this post is not the most up-beat ever, because I'm taking very seriously the possibility that you won't ever have normal eyesight again. I don't know anything about your medical situation, but even if you go blind you can still have a wonderful life.

Are you going to your college counselor about this yet? This is a really heavy situation that you are, very reasonably, having trouble dealing with. Get mental help in addition to physical help.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

Meridian-when it warms up find and take a class on auto repair. Then you can either fix it yourself or know when the garage people are trying to scam you. Right now, check sites like Angie's List to find shops in your area that are good.
And it's not (just) your ovaries that are making the garage try to scam you-they'll do it to anyone to increase their profits.
Existential squirrel-
Call your campus support services NOW. They are set up to aid impaired students and they will help you. You don't want to fail and drop out and your school doesn't want you to either. If there is any member of your family who would be helpful in this crisis, call them. Knowing that someone who loves you is in it with you will help. Any member of the older generation will work-even the parents of a friend who seemed supportive when you were a kid.
It's incredibly scary to contemplate going blind. With my vision I've done it more than once. Knowing that you can do damn near anything you want to, even if totally blind, is a great reassurance. So go talk to those support people or the local Lighthouse for the Blind today.
Embiggened for easy reading
Last edited by PAstrychef on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel wrote:What the hell could I do as a half blind chemist?
You know Bunsen? The one with the burner named after him? One of the most admired scientists of his generation? Developed spectrochemical analysis? He only had one eye when he did all that stuff.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

The "GOP Protect Life Act" thread is really, really upsetting me. I just had a tiny two-minute crying jag here in my cubicle just from reading it.
Spoiler:
I guess abortion is a sensitive topic for me because I've had one. Just the thought of people like Krong, Heisenberg, etc. getting anywhere near the medical profession is putting panicked tears in my eyes. I don't know what I would have done without Planned Parenthood and doctors who were willing to honor my right to my own body and my own life. I'd be stuck as a college drop-out living under the poverty line raising a child I hated, I guess.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

Bigglesworth- thanks for the encouragement. It's really hard to visualise myself doing stuff like that at the moment, so I'm supposed to set up a time or two to talk with my chem lab professor. Working with a patched over eye is difficult- not to mention kind of dangerous in a college chem lab.

PAstrychef- I have been talking with people in campus support. Oh my chemistry gods have I been using a support network... tahnk you for reminding me that that's what they are there for, emotional and classroom support

Enuja- it's nice to hear from someone that I don't always have to be strong. I have good days, and some really awful ones as well, so it's hard to balance between the good, the meh, and the ugly. I will talk to my friend in the IT department to see if there is anything they can do about installing that kind of software. I would also have to install the voice to text type stuff. There is nothing that points to this as being a brain injury, so I can use my eye(s) as much as possible. I struggle with reading because all my text that I am reading is in really small print, and I get 30+ pages a night per class. I am seeing a counsellor through our university's student health services, and it's helping a lot with the mental aspect of this big issue. She is really understanding

Meridian- thank you not just for the hugs, but also for the congrats. Good luck with your car issues. If you ask around, you can find a reputable mechanic who won't rip you off. Just ask some close friends/family to see what they recommend.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

In the off-chance that this might help for the reading: a magnifying glass? There are ones made specifically for reading.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Return to “General”