[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:The "GOP Protect Life Act" thread is really, really upsetting me. I just had a tiny two-minute crying jag here in my cubicle just from reading it.
Spoiler:
I guess abortion is a sensitive topic for me because I've had one. Just the thought of people like Krong, Heisenberg, etc. getting anywhere near the medical profession is putting panicked tears in my eyes. I don't know what I would have done without Planned Parenthood and doctors who were willing to honor my right to my own body and my own life. I'd be stuck as a college drop-out living under the poverty line raising a child I hated, I guess.
I feel you. So hard. and not in some creepy physical way
I can kinda handle being called a killer and a murderer. I don't like it, but there it is. Some people don't understand. But I certainly don't want a doctor who is so distant from reality and the practice of medicine that they would let me die over giving me an abortion that could save my life.
Actually, I have cried a little because of that thread. But then I remembered the foe function. Greatly reduces blinding rage and having to hear them call me horrible names.

Sorry to be so distracted existential_squirrrel. I hope something gets figured out soon. That sounds really rough and you don't deserve it.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel, I'm glad you're getting help from a counselor, and from other support systems. I'm glad we here on the Woman Thread can be part of your support system, too, if only to tell you that it's okay to have trouble dealing with this awful eye thing.

I'm going to second bigglesworth that it sounds like you could use a reading magnifier. You might be able to find one at a drug store. Also, contact your professors and see if they have digital versions of your assigned reading (or know where you can get digital versions). Also, instead of reading all of your assigned reading, you can try skimming it: read the first and last paragraphs, and the first sentence of some of the paragraphs. If you've got books as assigned reading, go ahead and read book reviews instead of reading the book itself because they are shorter and you should be able to find the reviews online.

If you've got an audio recorder, you can bring one to class, and listen back to your professor instead of having notes.

If you are on a Mac, you can use the VoiceOver Utility. Unfortunately, the windows screen reader is only really designed to read dialog boxes, so you'll have to install a screen reader if you're running windows. Have you have changed the magnification/zoom/text size on your computer screen? There are also magnifying lenses designed to go on computer screens, if the print size you get from the screen isn't high enough.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:The "GOP Protect Life Act" thread is really, really upsetting me. I just had a tiny two-minute crying jag here in my cubicle just from reading it.
Spoiler:
I guess abortion is a sensitive topic for me because I've had one. Just the thought of people like Krong, Heisenberg, etc. getting anywhere near the medical profession is putting panicked tears in my eyes. I don't know what I would have done without Planned Parenthood and doctors who were willing to honor my right to my own body and my own life. I'd be stuck as a college drop-out living under the poverty line raising a child I hated, I guess.
I feel you. So hard. and not in some creepy physical way
I can kinda handle being called a killer and a murderer. I don't like it, but there it is. Some people don't understand. But I certainly don't want a doctor who is so distant from reality and the practice of medicine that they would let me die over giving me an abortion that could save my life.
Actually, I have cried a little because of that thread. But then I remembered the foe function. Greatly reduces blinding rage and having to hear them call me horrible names.

The thread just makes me PISSED. Before every procedure I have had done so far in the cancer diagnosis, I am asked if I could be pregnant. I have had more pregnancy tests in the past 2 weeks than in my entire life. I would not be able to start chemo pregnant- it would be a medical necessity to either have an abortion or postpone a life saving treatment for 9 months in which my body would only deteriorate further. It pisses me off to NO END that anyone could possibly say that my 23 year old life is not worthy of getting the best possible medical treatment available in lieu of the welfare of a few week old clump of cells. Luckily I would never have to face a judgmental doctor because I thankfully live in Boston where the doctors are at the best cancer centers in the world and are competent and caring.

If I could process enough things to find one more thing to cry about, I would cry over this. People are arguing a potential death sentence- or in the very least a much more difficult treatment and less possibility for recovery- for people like me.

crickets

Postby crickets » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

@Sungura

I'm not 100% sure where you live in Michigan, but chances are if Edmonton has reliable corset dealers, your nearest city will as well. Honestly, using a combination of google and the phone is the best method for finding one - or you can ask the next person you see wearing a corset. That usually works pretty well. A quick search of the Detroit area (yes, this is the only city i know in Michigan, i have family from windsor....) yeilded a few results, but not many with websites.

I can give near endless advice on corsets, so feel free to ask more questions, but if you're looking for inexpensive options, you're going to have to sacrifice something.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

Spoiler:
charolastra wrote:
sophyturtle wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:The "GOP Protect Life Act" thread is really, really upsetting me. I just had a tiny two-minute crying jag here in my cubicle just from reading it.I guess abortion is a sensitive topic for me because I've had one. Just the thought of people like Krong, Heisenberg, etc. getting anywhere near the medical profession is putting panicked tears in my eyes. I don't know what I would have done without Planned Parenthood and doctors who were willing to honor my right to my own body and my own life. I'd be stuck as a college drop-out living under the poverty line raising a child I hated, I guess.
I feel you. So hard.

The thread just makes me PISSED. Before every procedure I have had done so far in the cancer diagnosis, I am asked if I could be pregnant. I have had more pregnancy tests in the past 2 weeks than in my entire life. I would not be able to start chemo pregnant- it would be a medical necessity to either have an abortion or postpone a life saving treatment for 9 months in which my body would only deteriorate further. It pisses me off to NO END that anyone could possibly say that my 23 year old life is not worthy of getting the best possible medical treatment available in lieu of the welfare of a few week old clump of cells. Luckily I would never have to face a judgmental doctor because I thankfully live in Boston where the doctors are at the best cancer centers in the world and are competent and caring.

If I could process enough things to find one more thing to cry about, I would cry over this. People are arguing a potential death sentence- or in the very least a much more difficult treatment and less possibility for recovery- for people like me.

That thread makes me so goshdarn *angry*. It's just like those fat old men of the catholic church talking about family values in a modern society when they don't have a fucking clue about family or modern society. The thing is, I can't imagine anyone saying to a woman's face that she would have to die or postpone treatment for a life-threatening condition because she is pregnant. They're so full of self-righteous moral indignation when blathering in a forum, but I'm willing to bet all my money that if a friend or wife comes into such a situation they would wield the intruments themselves if they could.

Charolastra, I think the buttload of pregnancy tests is also because of doctor's liability; you could probably sue them if they started you on chemo while pregnant and the baby was harmed. Which would be a totally reasonable response if they never asked if you were pregnant and didn't tell you of the dangers, so now they need a paper trail the size of mount Everest to make sure they're safe. I wish you a speedy and safe recovery.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 pm UTC

Enuja- thanks for all your support. I will be talking to someone to see if I can get a ride into town so I can purchase said magnifier. I will talk to a friend of mine who works in IT to see about installing some software to assist me with my computer work. She might be able to recommend some good things for my situation

Sophyturtle- it really doesn't matter that I don't deserve this, but thanks for your well wishes :) Don't worry about being distracted. I feel you in that regard.

So far I haven't gone flying down any stairs yet, or crashed into too many doors, windows, etc. trying not to run into people is a challenge- especially when they sneak up from the right side of my head...
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

Squirrel - I haven't said anything because I don't have much that's useful to contribute. But *hugs* and best wishes.

Re: abortion thread: Lots of ponies for everyone. I ventured back into the thread and it seems to be falling apart a bit now, but it still makes me angry. None of them know. None of them have ever been in that situation, so they're free to sit back and luxuriously pass judgment on living women's lives.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Squirrel - I know they make things that go over your whole computer screen to magnify the entire thing as well, I'm not sure if that helps in any of your things.

*hugs to all who need one, seems a lot do these days*
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:01 am UTC

I'm staying out of the abortion thread because (spoilered for barely coherent musing)
Spoiler:
I can't reconcile my personal beliefs with the principle of not interfering with other people's lives, because I don't want them pestering me. It's a Golden Rule sort of thing. I want to live by my lights, so I try to let other people live according to theirs. And there's the idea of "Do not judge, lest ye be judged." End result is that I try to let people live as they want to, while I live as I will.

I'm doing a terrible job of explaining why I can't wholeheartedly support anti-abortion legislation.
My religious faith + personal convictions = pro-life
Golden Rule + Do not judge, lest ye be judged + free will + personal responsibility = let's just live our own lives.

Or, Utopia = somewhere where everybody can live their own darn lives without bothering everybody else. That's a happy medium, right?

I promise, I don't mean to be condemnatory, or judgmental, or condescending, or inflammatory. Hopefully I managed to explain myself without offering insult to anyone.

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:57 am UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:I'm staying out of the abortion thread because (spoilered for barely coherent musing)
Spoiler:
I can't reconcile my personal beliefs with the principle of not interfering with other people's lives, because I don't want them pestering me. It's a Golden Rule sort of thing. I want to live by my lights, so I try to let other people live according to theirs. And there's the idea of "Do not judge, lest ye be judged." End result is that I try to let people live as they want to, while I live as I will.

I'm doing a terrible job of explaining why I can't wholeheartedly support anti-abortion legislation.
My religious faith + personal convictions = pro-life
Golden Rule + Do not judge, lest ye be judged + free will + personal responsibility = let's just live our own lives.

Or, Utopia = somewhere where everybody can live their own darn lives without bothering everybody else. That's a happy medium, right?

I promise, I don't mean to be condemnatory, or judgmental, or condescending, or inflammatory. Hopefully I managed to explain myself without offering insult to anyone.

In answer to this spoilered for also incoherent musing and probably re-saying what has already been said:
Spoiler:
As far as I usually understand abortion stances, this means you're not pro-life (not that you explicitly state that you definitely are). You're pro-choice.
You wouldn't personally pick abortion and possibly don't even fully agree with it but you do believe women have the right to chose what's right for themselves. Being pro-choice isn't about forcing every woman to have an abortion (that would be insane) as some of the pro-life rhetoric makes it seem, it's about letting her choose.

Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, telling you things you already knew (I assume I am) and derailing the thread in the process. I just thought it was an interesting point, that needs to be repeated even though it's been said before (maybe not repeated to you specifically but people in general).
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:30 am UTC

my own added mutterings....
Spoiler:
I think I totally get it, isotope. It's how I kinda feel but I have determined as Hope said above me that this means I am pro-choice and I will do my best to support people in whatever situation whatever they choose.

I mean...I went to a PP to get my IUD because they were the nice ones. If my family found out I went to a PP...holyshit would I be in deep water with a lot of them. Heck, I come from a family - not my immediate but extended - that generally is against ALL forms of BC! To them if they even knew I had an IUD - even though it's current use is period control and nothing to do with the BC part of it - oh gosh...
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:17 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, the term "pro-life" is a really shitty and misleading one, because it indicates anyone who dares disagree is "anti-life." Pro-choice people, including women who have had abortions, are usually pretty pro-life in general.

And as just now, sometimes people who are actually pro-choice still identify as pro-life because of that false dichotomy.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:16 am UTC

Hugs and candy and rainbows and puppies and yummies to all those who want them*

spoiler'd for my general off topic rantings

Spoiler:
Part of my problems for the day stem from the fact that I didn't have some of my medications last night. Part of that is due to me totally forgetting to get it refilled, so I ran out. Part of that is due to me just plain forgetting.
Part of my problems for the day also stem from my bg dropping down to 56 mg/dL twice in the morning, which means lack of sleep.

I think my uterus is trying to get the rest of my body to go on a "let's totally not work as expected" period. My stomach seems to have synced the "I'm going to make you feel like puking and make you want to rip me out of your rib cage" with my uterus going "HAHAHAHAHA!!!! CRAMPS!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! SCREW YOU!" And then there's my heart and whole blood pressure system that's being all "You sat up! Fainting time!"

This means all I've really been able to do is lie down and attempt to not piss off the next organ.

This doesn't happen while being conscious. Why? Because of adds and programs on TV! (And peers)
[TW] "HAHA! LET'S MAKE RAPE AND SEXUAL HARASSMENT JOKES! HAHA!"
[/TW]
"Haha! Let's show a commercial where we just talk about a chick's rack and that's why we like her! It's hilarious!"
"What?! Mocha won't tell me the answers to the homework? <insert sexist insults here, even though dudebro asked a male who gave the same response as mocha and male did not get insulted>"
So, after that I totes want to just curl up under a rock and ignore the rest of the world, and then uterus chimes in with "HAHA! CRAMPS THAT MAKE YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING TO PUKE!"

tl;dr: mocha's uterus is being a brat as is the rest of her biology and a good chunk of the world

*mocha is unable to actually physically supply these items and / or actions, but please feel free to obtain what you want irl with consent from all parties and google what you can't get irl and then shoot zombies because everyone should shoot zombies
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Milyandel

Postby Milyandel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:22 am UTC

I dare not even to look at the abortion thread. But your comments and thoughts here encourage me to share this one thing that has bugged me a while: I have a friend, a very good friend, and I've appreciated and respected her. Lately she has been commenting the abortion subject - in her facebook profile, of all places.
Spoiler:
She explains, how she can't understand why so many babies are murdered and how horrible it is. Her solution for those women who have been raped & gotten pregnant is to give birth to the child and give it to adoption "since so many people would dearly love these children and it would be much better than ending innocent lives."
As a friend I like her and cannot possibly say to her what I think. But I feel like shouting: "Are you mad? Don't you really understand what that would mean to many women, who'd already have gone through enough hardship? Don't you realize the possible emotional pain? You're a woman too, how can you not see and try to put yourself in their shoes?"
(spoilered for possible trigger)

And the worst is that at the moment I cannot esteem her as much as I used to :? .
"Here I am once more in this Scene of Dissipation & Vice, and I begin already to find my Morals corrupted." - Jane Austen -

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

I am absolutely staying out of that thread. My stress level is just hovering between the "manageable" and "not" lines as it is. I am staunchly pro-choice (but also pro-life...because really, isn't everyone pro-life?), and no amount of me becoming enraged at people is going to change either of our minds.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

mochafairy wrote:Hugs and candy and rainbows and puppies and yummies to all those who want them*

*hugs and warm cornbags for you*
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

charolastra!!!!!!!!!! THE COOKIES WERE JUST RETURNED TO ME
Apparently, Nougut doesn't exist. It was "attempted delivery, address not known, unable to locate" and it was returned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( :( :( :(

They are now old and hard and yucky. I am sad. I tried :(((

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:41 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, the term "pro-life" is a really shitty and misleading one, because it indicates anyone who dares disagree is "anti-life." Pro-choice people, including women who have had abortions, are usually pretty pro-life in general.

And as just now, sometimes people who are actually pro-choice still identify as pro-life because of that false dichotomy.

Ye gods yes. Also
Spoiler:
I love the whole theory that legislating abortion away as illegal will make abortions stop happening. They will still happen illegally, IE unsafely rather than being performed by licensed physicians, and then increase the possibility of the mother dying.

Also, it infuriates the crap out of me when people are "pro-life" and in favour of the death penalty, and I feel like I see this far too often.

I respect the hell out of people who can calmly and logically present arguments in N&A, because a decent portion of the time I just want to stop and go, "WHAT IN THE HELL?!" There are many topics in that forum that I can't realistically discuss because my brain is too busy just alternating screaming "you presumptuous idiot!" and "fuck you!" over and over at the top of its metaphorical lungs.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

I hate that this is likely to seem like a criticism of either you wonderful ladies posting about it or your views, and for that I apologise, but I want to ask you please:
By all means let it be a discussion on how the abortion thread makes you feel if you want a safe place to vent, but can we please not make it a discussion on abortion?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

Moo wrote:I hate that this is likely to seem like a criticism of either you wonderful ladies posting about it or your views, and for that I apologise, but I want to ask you please:
By all means let it be a discussion on how the abortion thread makes you feel if you want a safe place to vent, but can we please not make it a discussion on abortion?

I have to say, I've been very surprised (in a good way!) at how civil this discussion has been. When I think "abortion debate," I think "polarized and vitriolic." I really appreciate being safe to pipe up with an opposing viewpoint, and I'm definitely using this conversation as future proof that everybody can just be polite to each other.
But no, I don't want to have an abortion debate in this thread. I wasn't trying to contribute to anything of the sort with my earlier post: I value this safespace way too much.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

I need to rant, but I feel this thread is more appropriate than the rant thread. And it's not really much of a rant. Just a slight annoyance mixed with confusion.

Spoiler:
This term, I'm taking a psychology class titled "hormones and behavior." I fall pretty staunchly on the socialization side of...pretty much all behaviors (as opposed to them being mostly biologically-based), so I was worried about this class. It fills a requirement, though.

For the most part, I have been pleasantly surprised by the professor. Though she obviously feels strongly about the influence of hormones on gender-typical behaviors, as it is her field of expertise, she allows for, and even sometimes advocates, the effects of socialization, especially in regards to gender roles and identity. Whenever she's talking about biological effects, she often throws in a comment about how there are other influences as well. I understand that this class is focused on the hormonal effects, so we can't get into the specifics of socialization.

But today she started lecturing about female sexual behaviors, and she began the lecture with a cartoon of a couple sitting in bed. The man was reading a book titled "101 Positions," and the woman was reading, "102 escape moves." Um...what? That's pretty not okay to me. And as the lecture went on, she talked about environmental and hormonal reasons for women being the "pickier sex," without ever mentioning the possibility of social influences.

The class is at 8:30 in the morning, so I'm not very motivated to speak up, and no one else seemed to mind (or maybe they were just silent about it like me), so I just sat through it. I just don't know how to feel about the class. It's simultaneously better than I expected, and just as bad as I expected. I'm trying to be understanding and learn about the other side...it's just hard because this is the information (though obviously not in nearly as much detail) that we receive every day of our life, and I just think it is so damaging.

Ugh.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am UTC

Just demand to see error bars on every graph, confidence intervals on every number. Otherwise she has to leave science club.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:28 am UTC

Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference by Cordelia Fine kicks ass: if you haven't read it, you might want to, as an antidote to the class. Error bars don't fix everything: how studies are designed and carried out can easily determine the outcome.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 am UTC

Looks like a great book. Added to my cart. Probably won't have time to read it until long after this class has ended, but I look forward to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

I know it's an early class, but please have an extra does of caffeine and speak up. Even if it's only to ask "what about social norms and such? And that graphic is really offensive." People don't necessarily know that what they've done is offensive until some one points it out. If talking in class is too hard, go to the prof's office hours and talk to her one on one.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

You can also leave a note in the prof's inbox or something. (That's what someone suggested I do when I was taking a psychology class and the prof told everyone that they should watch "A ClockWork Orange" because he loved that movie and would be referencing it throughout the class)
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

Speaking up in class has the advantage of speaking directly to the rest of the students, but talking to the professor outside of class might be more effective. Class time is both finite and short, professors often try to pack a lot into that class time, and they've already planned what they are going to say. If you tell them something outside of class, they have the time to really think about it, and to change their planned presentation style, if they are going to do so.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

She mentioned after showing the cartoon that people in previous classes have complained about it, and thanked our class for not being offended, because she doesn't mean it to be offensive. :|

The topic will be continuing on Monday, so I'll see if she mentions social factors at all then.

Pterosaur

Postby Pterosaur » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but I thought that you wise women may be able to answer a question.

I’m looking for some khakis/chinos with proper pockets. I have to carry around my wallet, keys, cell phone, and magnet shades for my glasses, and I hate purses. Most slacks have “coin pockets,” meaning that only one coin will fit. Others have wide but shallow pockets, so that everything falls out when I sit down. Does anyone know the fashion industry name for the real deep pockets that actually hold things? If I knew the term, I could google it while shopping online.
Until you stalk and overrun,
You can't devour anyone.
--Hobbes

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

Maybe cargos?
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

I've always just seen them referred to as 'deep pockets' o.o
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

Pterosaur wrote:Not to sidetrack the discussion, but I thought that you wise women may be able to answer a question.

I’m looking for some khakis/chinos with proper pockets. I have to carry around my wallet, keys, cell phone, and magnet shades for my glasses, and I hate purses. Most slacks have “coin pockets,” meaning that only one coin will fit. Others have wide but shallow pockets, so that everything falls out when I sit down. Does anyone know the fashion industry name for the real deep pockets that actually hold things? If I knew the term, I could google it while shopping online.

I am sorry to say this, but from what I've seen, the most foolproof method of obtaining what you desire is figuring out what mens size pants you would use and just ordering mens pants.

Even with retailers/brands where I have sometimes found pocket success, the next pair of pants becomes a dice roll in terms of whether or not they'll still have anything in them that deserves the name "pocket."

The cargo pants comment is probably a decent option to try... I have never come across anything name-wise pertaining to type of pockets, so I don't have any useful suggestions there, unfortunately.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Pterosaur

Postby Pterosaur » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

I’ve seen “cargos” refer to the baggy pants covered in giant pockets. I would totally wear those, but I need something more business casual, like regular khakis. Of course, regular khakis have freaking microscopic pockets, so here I am.

I’ve seen “coin pockets,” “front pockets,” and “flap pockets,” all of which translate to “your cell phone will fall out.”

I’ve considered men’s pants, if I can figure out what men’s size will fit a petite size 6 women. That would be one tiny guy!

I tried searching “big pockets,” but not “deep pockets.” My google-fu is weak. I’ll try it now.
You can't devour anyone.
--Hobbes

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

You might consider trying boy's pants. I've got a really big ass, so that doesn't work for me, but I do buy boy's shirts and shoes, and they often fit my needs better while being cheaper. (But I don't honestly know if boy's pants follow men's pants in having big pockets).

What I do is make a pocket that goes on my belt loop that holds my wallet stuff (and my phone goes in a backpack or jacket coat or whatever), but it doesn't look particularly professional, and it doesn't hold very much. It is my solution to poor pockets, however.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:30 pm UTC

Men's sizing is (in theory) based on waist circumference and inseam length. So.. assuming this page is accurate, Size 6 is a 27 inch waist. So I figure you'd want either a 28 or 30 waist. As far as the inseam... that's up to you. But guys under 5'4" exist, so they have to get pants from somewhere.

Enuja does make a point - it may be hard to find *Mens* pants in your size, but finding *Boys* pants may work better.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Pterosaur

Postby Pterosaur » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

My “deep pockets” search turned up cargos and “tactical” pants for “field operations.” Sounds dangerous.

JC Penney sells khakis for tiny guys, so I’ve found a source of practical pants. I just need to experiment with the fits to find my size.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I’ll post here when I find a good pair.
You can't devour anyone.
--Hobbes

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:15 pm UTC

n'thing the men's pants thing. I'm a 36 inch waist and a 30/32 inch inseam and manage to find men's sizes just fine this size of the pond. I have a pair of ladies cargo trousers that have false pockets, which seems like false advertising, or something.

Separate rant: No Doctor, I will not go back on a pill that gave me horrible mood swings and killed my libido just because you think they aren't good enough reasons to come off it. I don't care if it is the best pill to deal with PCOS, I bloody refuse. YOU go through the side effects and tell me that they're acceptable. Douchecanoe.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:47 pm UTC

I've also taken to men's pants, ever since about 6 years ago I went into the jeans store next door and said "I wand a pair of jeans" and the girl just looked at me and gave me a pair of 29/32 Wrangler jeans. I've bought about 3 of that type since then, but now that they're falling apart it seems men's sizes only go down to 30 at the waist, and all the traditional jeans manufacturers have started separate women's lines. Also, they appear to have taken to jeans with elasthane, which in my opinion is kinda going against the original idea of jeans. On the plus side, it appears that the fashion at the moment is large pockets, aber 1.5 times the size of the pockets on my first pair.

Sure, men's jeans don't flatter my posterior and make me look kinda rectangular, especially with my big coat, but what the hell.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

Old Navy women's jeans have pockets that fit my phone (an original Droid) perfectly, which is all I ever carry in my pockets, so I've just stuck with those.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:20 am UTC

I have a pair of hand-me-down cords from J.Crew that have pretty substantial pockets. big enough to fit my candy-bar style phone in the front and then my wallet in the back. And I can wear them to work, which is good, because my current pair of winter work pants - another hand-me-down pair, this time from B. Republic - has worn through on the insides of the thighs. Luckily, they're lined, but sooner or later the holes are going to get big enough to see from the back and then I'll have to use the cords.

I'm hoping they will get me through the rest of winter, though, and then I can switch to my skirt and lighter work pants. Assuming the skirts still fit. And that I can find tights that I don't wear through in a week. [Side note: these are totally not concerns I was expecting to have while in the Peace Corps, I thought I'd be on an island somewhere or in West Africa, wearing lots of long, loose skirts and tank top and shirts to cover my arms as sunburn protection. Not in Ukraine worrying about winter pants and tights/pantyhose.]

In general, though, I prefer carrying my wallet in the back pocket so good back pockets have always been my priority in pants. And here in Ukraine, most of the stuff is in my bag, anyway, since I feel safer carrying my visa & accreditation card inside a pocket in a bag as they're a little big/oddly shaped for all but cargo pockets anyway. And if I'm going to be carrying a bag anyway, might as well throw my wallet, keys and cash in there too.

Return to “General”