[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

boo that.

Also boo my sore breasts. It was great over a week ago when they warned me about shark week, but a full 8 days later I would like to not have constant pain.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

...Okay, I wish I had more to add to a conversation (that is really interesting about the period-inducement, though). But I admittedly mainly came here to rant about how my ability to stay on the pill may be in jeopardy, at least temporarily. So right now I'm in my off week, and I'm supposed to start my fifth pack of pills on Sunday night. I'm out of refills, so I have to get more called in. Now, in the past month, I've tried to take care of this three times. (For the sake of shorter sentences/confidentiality, the place that prescribes my pills will be "Herp" and my pharmacy will be "Derp.") There was a bit of a mixup the first time because I accidentally gave Herp an incorrect number for Derp, so I wasn't surprised that it didn't called in. "No problem," I thought, and had Herp call it in again. They said they did, and I thought that was that. I was planning on picking it up a week before I needed it. Well, lo and behold, that Saturday I found out that Derp had not, in fact, received it. After some freaking out, I thought that maybe, since it had been awhile since it had been called in, the prescription was no longer vaild or something*. I had to wait until Tuesday to call Herp about this because they're not open on Weekends and it was Labor Day. Wednesday, Herp claimed that it was all set and yesterday, I called Derp to see if they'd received it** and sure enough they hadn't. Extremely frustrated, I managed to get a ride over to Derp. I explained what was going on and asked them to call Herp. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Herp closes in 2 hours and isn't open on the weekends.

Long story short, I'm very confused and frustrated and with each passing minute my chances of ovulating this month dramatically increase. I'm considering finding someone else to prescribe my pills, but I'm almost positive I won't be able to accomplish that by Sunday. It's not exactly life or death, but I'd really rather not deal with the potential affects of going off it and then on again. :\

*I don't have any other long-term prescriptions, so I'm sort of new to this whole thing and I'm still not sure that that even happens.
**I was going to go and physically pick it up that day, since that's when I was able to make the bus there, but I missed said bus because it left early.
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:10 pm UTC

That sucks. Normally getting prescriptions renewed is a very easy process. I hope everything works out.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:49 am UTC

That would stress me out majorly. I hope you can get it all worked out.

Btw, in regards to "how long-term prescriptions work," I think it varies by doctor in regards to how long they will write it for (ie how many refills you get). Mine writes mine for a year, I think to give me an incentive/remind me to go in for an annual exam. You should be able to see on your pill pack, along with the prescription info, how many refills you have left. Depending on your doctor, they'll either ask you to come in a see them when it runs out, or you can call and ask them to call in more refills (assuming they get their act together and are able to do such a simple thing).

Disclaimer: This is all based on my personal experience, and only my experience with birth control. So take that as you will.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:09 am UTC

i think she was more afraid that because she had waited over a week, that month's prescription was no longer valid. which is not a thing. however, if you wait too long, a pharmacy will re-stock the prescription, and you have to order it again.
ImageImageImageImageImage

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:11 am UTC

Well.

I've been getting Shark Week warning signs for about a week now. Tomorrow, I take the ACT. If I get it tomorrow, it will suck major ass for two reasons. One, because who the hell wants to start Shark Week during a high-stakes standardized test. Two, because the last time I took a high-stakes standardized test (the SAT), I also started Shark Week in the middle of it. Last time I didn't even have a tampon and had to ask the proctors for one, which was about two sizes too small for a first-day flow. Tomorrow, I will at least be prepared, but if this screws over my test results I will not be happy.

That paragraph was horrifically constructed and I apologize. I've been reading ACT practice questions, and their reading/writing selections are pretty much shit.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:15 am UTC

You are forgiven for whatever. Shark Week = just gotta cope, chica. Cope however.

<3 + chocolate
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:02 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:I've been getting Shark Week warning signs for about a week now. Tomorrow, I take the ACT.

(If you actually see this) Best of luck! Trust your instincts. But read carefully. Eat well. Cheers!

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:18 pm UTC

modularblues wrote:
animeHrmIne wrote:I've been getting Shark Week warning signs for about a week now. Tomorrow, I take the ACT.

(If you actually see this) Best of luck! Trust your instincts. But read carefully. Eat well. Cheers!

I second the above thoughts.

I also second the suggestion of chocolate (or your preferred sweet of choice). You're often allowed to bring something like a candybar or the like into standardized testing as one of the few allowed items - the sugar can help you out just mentally and energy-wise, plus the whole comfort-food effect.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

Spoilered for being off topic, and not really a woman problem
Spoiler:
So, my boyfriend (just started the clinical aspect of the medical course) needs someone to practice his bedside manner/investigations on. Which is obviously me. So, he was going through it (on skype, as we were apart for that week) and mentioned checking for clubbing on fingers. Now, at one of my patient-doctor courses, clubbing had been mentioned and we'd asked what it is, because it's this sign you always hear mentioned (it's found in a lot of chronic conditions, mainly of the lungs and heart), and the GP gave a vague description and I thought it sort of looked like I had it (to me and two of my friends) but we laughed it off as medical student syndrome. My bf (this was last term, before he'd started clinical) did the same think last term. However, I jokingly mentioned 'I have clubbing' when he was telling me about my exam, and it looks like I probably do have it. Which now means I have to go to the GP sometime this week (I'll phone up on Monday) and say, I think I have clubbing because my med student boyfriend and I think so. I feel like a hypochondriac, but I don't want to progress to the stage 4 (I think I'm somewhere at 2or 3 - probably 3) as then my fingers will look like gecko pads*. However, as it seems subtle - you'd only notice if you're looking forward for it, I'm afraid that I'll get there and the GP will tell me that it's perfectly normal and to stop being such an idiot.

* please note this term is mine and I would never use it when talking to a patient, and has never been used to describe it to me by any of my lecturers - you never know who's reading :P
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

Thanks, bluebambue, Ashlah, suffer-cait. :) And yes, suffer-cait was correct: I was worried that the "called-in" prescription wasn't valid after a certain period. Actually, it was more like I'd hoped that's what happened, since that would be an easy fix. Good to know that that doesn't happen, though. Anyway, I'm done with Herp. I'm never going back there, and I'm going to get the health center at my University to prescribe my pills for me. They can't do anything until Monday; I've never been there before so I'm not in their system, which means I have to wait until their official hours so I can register or something. But it seems like I'll go like a week without pills at the most.

It might be a little late for this, but good luck! I hope it works out well. :)

@Angua:

Spoiler:
That really sucks. It can be so stressful to be simultaneously worried that you have a medical issue and worried that you're being paranoid about nothing. For what it's worth, it sounds like it's worth it for you to check it out with your GP. Even if he does say that it's nothing, then at least you'll know for sure, so you can stop worrying about it.
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:i think she was more afraid that because she had waited over a week, that month's prescription was no longer valid. which is not a thing. however, if you wait too long, a pharmacy will re-stock the prescription, and you have to order it again.

Whoops. Reading comprehension fail on my part.

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:i think she was more afraid that because she had waited over a week, that month's prescription was no longer valid. which is not a thing. however, if you wait too long, a pharmacy will re-stock the prescription, and you have to order it again.

It's okay...it was in the middle of a gigantic paragraph which I probably should have broken up. :P

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:59 am UTC

Aightynine wrote:
Ashlah wrote:

It's okay...it was in the middle of a gigantic paragraph which I probably should have broken up. :P

If you do end up getting the pills on Monday, you can just start it then instead of waiting another week till the next Sunday- confirm this with your doctor obviously. That way you probably won't need back up birth control for that extra week if you wait a week before going back on birth control.

(Oral contraception was always a hassle for me during my college days)
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

I don't normally get bad period symptoms, but I've been bloaty and gassy while PMSing, and now it's here I'm just sore, the tampon feels sore, and I'm stuck inside because I have nothing to do except self motivate myself to do work which isn't due for 3 weeks. I went to the shop earlier to get out of the house (and buy chocolate biscuits) but it was sore and achy, and I swear my tampon forces itself down somehow when I walk, I have to keep shoving the thing back in.

Sigh.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:57 pm UTC

*dances around madly like a silly person*

I got my corset, I got my corset! Yaaaaay! It's gorgeous and it fits so well and it's puuuurty on me. *excite*

I also got a hoop skirt at a used wedding store for cheap and a skirt from goodwill that fits over it (who cares if I match! :P ) and I'm so excited! Hehehehe.

EDIT: Pictures in spoilers <3
Spoiler:
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:04 am UTC

I think the different patterns of the corset and the skirt look pretty great, actually :)
Is good!
Ⓞⓞ◯

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:44 am UTC

I like the skirt and corset combination. Are you getting a poofy pirate shirt to go with the outfit? :)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:08 am UTC

On top of that, it looks great in your avatar.

Related to breasts: Anyone know a way to get ride of soreness? Mine have been sore for like 2 weeks now. Not that I mind wearing sports bras every day (otherwise basic movement is painful) but it would be nice to not need them to go to bed. Also, I am running out of them.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:26 am UTC

I've never had soreness last that long, so I haven't had to figure it out. I did find a couple of links, though (second is PDF). They seem ... sort of helpful, maybe?
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:42 am UTC

maybe? I'll take it.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:27 am UTC

Thanks for the nice replies! :D

Breasts: I get very sore when I A. Wear a bra to bed, big no-no for me, or B. Lug around heavy backpacks or bags all day. Only cure I've found is taking off my bra as soon as I get home so I don't somehow forget to take it off at night (wonder of wonders, it happens) and taking breaks from backpacks. Good luck!

Also, in my private message thing, all my messages are in the "outbox" and never go to "sent". Are they actually being sent to the people? Someone complimented me in one and now I actually care enough about the 4 messages sitting in the outbox to post.. :oops:
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:06 am UTC

They change from outbox to sent automatically when the other person reads them. So, if you send one to me, it would be in your outbox for a while because I rarely remember to check and see if I have any! But the second I opened it, it should change to sent.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:12 am UTC

Oh, I see! Well, then it makes a lot more sense that a couple of the first-time-posters who asked for google plus invites haven't checked their messages since creating their accounts. :roll:

I do actually plan on getting a chemise, (poofy shirt!) and I'm pretty likely to get a different skirt to go with this corset. I'm going to borrow a better-matching bodice from a friend of mine to go with this skirt. I'm so excited to go to the Renaissance Faire! And two whole days! I'm not sure if I should try to get my guy nice period stuff before hand or rent-a-costume. They have rentals at the front, and it's probably 100x cheaper... especially considering he'll never wear it again!

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:11 am UTC

ImageImageImageImageImage

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

Soo... maybe this belongs more properly in the rant thread, but I'm nervous of it so I'd rather write here.

There's a woamn in the lab that I work at who likes to listen to the radio while working. Most of the others in the room prefer to listen to music from the PC, but since she's only there in the mornings it's usually radio in the mornings and PC in ther afternoon. Most of the time, I'm ok with that. Sure, the news and call-in prgrammes and so on are fucking moronic, the songs not the stuff I'd listen to if I had a choice, but it's ignorable. However, due to uni-shit going down and whatnot I was particularly tetchy this morning, and it also seemed to be "sexist schmalzy song" day. So I guess what I'm asking for is reassurance that I'm not completely crazy for leaving the room when a guy in a seventies song starts singing that this girl should kiss him right now because he loves her so. It's not his damn place to tell her that.
Some of the other songs were also kind of creepy but I don't remember much of the lyrics.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

Yeah, just cause he loves her means in no way she should kiss him. That could easily be very aggravating.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:05 am UTC

You have every right to leave a room if you find something in that room offensive.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:24 am UTC

(I originally posted an essay about feminism here. It's been suggested that I put it in the feminism thread in case it stirs up debate so it's now located here.)
Last edited by The EGE on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:44 am UTC

You don't suck. Happy? :wink:

Honestly, that seems well-written and carefully though out. It reads like the writing of a man who is not-so-new to the idea of feminism -- not having just learned about it, but rather having lived with the idea for a while. Most of your ideas sound ... digested, for lack of a better word. By that, I mean they have become a part of you, rather than being nice things you've heard someone say and want to repeat. (Oh lordy, is there a lot of that in a lot of persuasive writing.)

It has a tinge of evangelism, but that's not a mark against it. It's just an observation of the general tone. There are times and places for evangelism. (Oh lordy, are there ever. >.<)

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:27 am UTC

The EGE wrote:
Spoiler:
I will be able to open doors for all people.

I really like that part. It has a lovely symmetry to it...

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:09 am UTC

As the reporter of the message suggests, this discussion might better be had in the feminism thread? Just that due to the safespace taggery, it's not the right thread should any kind of debate flare up (which happens Alot!) Of course, if it remains as simple chit-chattery, that's cool too. Just remember what thread you're in.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

Felstaff and other folks, you are entirely right. I will move the text of the essay to the feminism thread. This is why I need to sleep first then post, not the other way around. :oops:

Edit: I've now moved it there and replaced my original post with an explanation and link. Poxic and modularblues, thanks for the kind words.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

I haven't had sex since July, and Shark Week happened in August, but I'm really really late this month. Argh, I'm actually scheduling my activities around the supposed advent of Shark Week and it's LATE.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

meridian

Postby meridian » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

Speaking of planning around Shark Week...

I was late this month, not a huge deal as Shark Week tends to shift a little as the seasons go by, but now I am paranoid that the "Fun Times" I have planned in February will coincide with the least fun my uterus can produce.

Also: Still need to get on BC. :/
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

My SO is coming for three weeks in October. Shark Week starts the day he arrives... assuming I'm regular. And you could set a (okay, admittedly not very useful) clock by my uterus. But we'll spend the first night on a train so hopefully by the time we're back at my place the uterine chunking will have slowed down to reasonable, put a towel down levels. Instead of my vag could play an extra in Kill Bill levels.

Train trips like that make so glad I have a divacup, although I'm always slightly paranoid about dropping said divacup into a train toilet. Which empty straight onto the tracks.

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:38 am UTC

Meridian, if you get on BC for a couple months beforehand, I think you can skip the sugar pills and just continue taking hormone pills to suppress. There's no biological need to have shark week ,and there's no spotting unless you do it for a couple months. So you can probably just push it till a week, or a month, later.

*I am neither a doctor, nor a woman. Judge my advice accordingly.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:47 am UTC

Shark week came on time this time! Yay! Except for the part where my uterus and head hurt!
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

meridian

Postby meridian » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:17 am UTC

The EGE wrote:Meridian, if you get on BC for a couple months beforehand, I think you can skip the sugar pills and just continue taking hormone pills to suppress. There's no biological need to have shark week ,and there's no spotting unless you do it for a couple months. So you can probably just push it till a week, or a month, later.

*I am neither a doctor, nor a woman. Judge my advice accordingly.

I am actually terrible at being a consistent pill taker and have determined this would likely be my least favorable option. (Granted, my trial experience revolved around a consistent time, yes, but also whether or not I had eaten food in preparation for an acid suppressant, so MMMV.) I will probably be exploring either the Nuva Ring option or biting the bullet and going for the full Mirena (if I can afford it, oh so broke and not having health insurance).
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:43 am UTC

semicharmed wrote:Train trips like that make so glad I have a divacup, although I'm always slightly paranoid about dropping said divacup into a train toilet. Which empty straight onto the tracks.

They do? o__o

*Makes note not to play around train tracks.*

Return to “General”